SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Rose Parade Float decorating (15 pics)

jessyf
16 years ago

All the years Ive lived in Los Angeles, and IÂve never paid much attention to the Rose Parade. IÂve considered it something to turn on and watch on TV for a few minutes if I happen to be around on New Years Day. A few years ago I took the kids to see the floats after the parade. Neat!

This year, DS #1Âs service organization had an opportunity to volunteer to decorate one of the floats. I jumped at the chance since I saw it as a way to get up close and see what these things are like as well as participate in something so nationally BIG!

We worked on the NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants, I think) float for a four hour shift, a moderate Sesame Street themed entry. It was created by Studio Concepts, and I have to commend them for having GREAT staff. Everyone was relaxed and laid back. At one point I sat next to and worked with three ladies from Washington DC who planned a whole vacation around the Rose Parade/Bowl! They were having a blast. Studio Concepts accepts individual volunteers as well as groups and they also accept four hour works shifts where other float companies insist on eight hour stints. ThatÂs tough for kids.

There were tons of people there just walking around the float decorating tents, behind barricades. I donÂt understand  they paid money to walk around and look, while I got to do the same thing (within my tent of 4-5 floats) for FREE. YouÂll see the tourists at the perimeter of my pictures.

Here we goÂ.

Scaffolding. You can see Sesame Street characters on top (donÂt know about the TigerÂ) and a globe of the world under it.

Front of the float. You can see The Count holding out his left arm.

Across from us were two Wells Fargo carriages.

Every once in a while VIP tour guides would come by (white suits) with a couple of higher paying ticket holders.

Back of the float  this place was HOPPING. There are three or four rows of benches where volunteers would sit and cut flower petals into buckets.

A volunteer putting petals on a ÂnoteÂ. Lots of Ânotes since this is a music industry floatÂ.you can see the gawkers in the background. It was fun being in the fishbowl, everyone outside looked jealous!

Another volunteer putting grapes(?) on Syria. Each country was a different food.

One of the young tourists called over my son. Apparently she had to interview a float decorator as an assignment. Both of them seemed kinda clueless, heh heh.

I snuck off during a down-time moment to see other floats in our tent.

Here is oneÂ

And I REALLY wanted to work on the Rotary Club float, they looked short handed and it was cooler than ours!

DS working on the right side of the float, on a red note. Look for it in the parade!

I handed my camera to someone to take a shot of me up on the scaffolding working on a pink note (right side of float). Sigh. Both shots out of focus. Oh well, next year!

While I was up there I saw the BIGGEST band group come through. They kept on coming and coming and coming!

After I finished my Ânote my next assignment was to cut the tiny blue (NOT purple, I was corrected) off statice. That took a long time, and not much was produced! At least I was sitting, and chatting. It was fun to look up at the Âgawkers and make exhausted faces and talk with them too.

Once we have jobs, the four hours FLEW. My camera was low on batteries so I didnÂt get to take more shots. Next year!

Comments (17)