Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Currently my only flowers...

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 17, 06 at 11:14

My favorite tree is the Catalpa tree I have right next to my driveway here in town. It's very temperamental and every year I think it's dead because it doesn't get leaves until at least June. It blooms only occasionally, which is why I quickly took a picture. The scent is extremely "heavy" and sweet, almost overwhelming. When the flowers are gone, the tree gets long pods, like a vanilla bean pod but about 4 or 5 times as long.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I ought to do a little research, this tree has never grown much, never gets tall. It grows weird and crooked, reminding me of a bonsai for some reason.

Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Currently my only flowers...

Wow! Is that a beauty! I've seen those here, HUGE leaves.

o

Aren't they nice! I wish you could send a link to the aroma. I just love flowers. Whenever they have a wonderful scent, I always imagine myself sniffing and floating like a cartoon character. Ahhh!

Pam

o

Pam, that tree is about 20 feet from the house, but you can smell it two or three houses away, the smell is everywhere. I love it, but the flowers are already dying.

Barnmom, those leaves are huge, bigger than both of my hands together. The clusters of flowers can be as big as a soccer ball, but only last a couple of days, sadly.

Annie

o

We have Catalpas in my town and they take my breath away.. Like Amelanchiers..Flowering Crabapples , Lilacs and Cornus Kouzas(SP?)

Lucky you.. They are gorgeous!

o

Oh those look beautiful Annie !

I love trees that have a wafting perfume. They look like something that would grow here.

SharonCb

o

Wowee! Those are gorgeous! How come so short lived, I wonder. Are the seedpods used for anything besides reproducing?

o

I don't know why they go so quickly, but we just had a big storm, including a tornado touchdown, and all the flowers are gone. Sigh.

I don't know if the seeds can be used for anything, I've planted them to try to grow more trees but have been unsuccessful. Of course. LOL

Sharon, those do look like something that would grow in your part of the world, don't they?

Monique, I AM lucky, I inherited this tree when I bought the house and no one else in town has one. Several people would like one, which is why I've been trying to grow more. Maybe I should get Dad to do it, that'd give him something to do!

Annie

o

Oh, very pretty!

o

When I did a search on the net to see if it would grow out here I did see a note that the seed pods were poisionous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds

o

That is a beautiful tree! We had two Catalpa's at our old house. If I had room for one more tree here, Catalpa is what I would plant!

Linda

o

Annie, it is gorgeous...have you seen the Catalpa worms???

Here is a link that might be useful: catalpa worms

o

Nope, Sherry, no worms, just my poor little Catalpa that never has grown more than about 10 feet tall. Poor thing, at least it doesn't get worms!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here