Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Look what I found!

Posted by riverrat1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 9, 06 at 9:35

To make a long story short, we had to have an old homestead barn torn down that was FULL of DH families things. For many many years family would just put things in the old barn that they didn't want to throw away but they didn't want to keep in the house. The attic was full at one time also... We emptied out many old trunks and other things before I had the barn demolished. In one old steamer trunk I found a hand bound book of old botanical watercolors. I knew they were painted by a family member but there was no signature anywhere on the paintings. I was very interested in the watermark on the paper that read "Bissell & Pease". I fooled around with researching the paper, for 2 weeks, to see if I could date the watercolors. The only information I could come up with was a few documents dated in the 1830's. Well, DH turned the booklet over after two weeks and there was his Great Grandmothers signature. We now know they were painted, by her, somewhere around 1870. Cool huh? I just love old things.

Here they are after we framed them and hung them in our butlers pantry where my office is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Look what I found!

Oh, those are wonderful! I really, really like the way you framed them.

o

What weed said. Striking framing.

o

very cool, so nice you found them and will honour this piece of histroy!

janet

o

Oh Karen. What a find. I love them.

Ann

o

These are really great, love the framing, too.

Brenda

o

What a wonderful treasure ! You've certainly done them justice in those frames-- she was a talented Lady .

Diane

o

What a treasure! How wonderful that you've shown these the light of day. What a great link to the past.

Teresa

o

Wow what a treasure you found! Enjoy them, they look great on your wall!

o

Those are beautiful, and what a nice display. Great Grandma would be proud.

Annie

o

oh, I absolutely love those. They are beautiful on their own but the sentimental quality is just irreplaceable. I hope that when I am gone, I've left something that makes people think of me and smile...What a warm and special treasure you found...

Stacy

o

What a terrific find! They are gorgeous!
Linda

o

Love them!! But I want to make sure you have checked with someone who knows....is a glass sandwich like that safe for archival things? I would hate to see them harmed in some way from the picture touching the glass...irf that matters.
And theya re not facing a window nor flourescent lights are they? I have a painting...not important a characture sort of a joke thing but I liked it and it has faded a whole lot from being hung in my late husband's office for about 15 years....with the flourescent lights.
They are really wonderful.....and the fact that your great grandmother painted them...Wow!!
Were there more?
Linda C

o

Beautiful, the way you have displayed them.

o

Wow, them are great! Love 'em!

o

Karen,
Oh, I love them! What a wonderful find! I like the way you framed them too.

Jayne

o

You are very lucky to have those. I just love framing things that are "family heirlooms" like that!

o

Thanks guys! I do love them!

Linda, I checked with the local college library historian that recommended putting them in acid free sleeves, and keeping them away from all light of any kind, by putting them in an acid free folder. Well, I really wanted to see them so I've put them in a darkish room that gets little direct light from outside or artificial source. It is ok to have them between glass if I'm not exposing them to any unnecessary humidity?!?! I wonder what that means in the south!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here