SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverrat1

Look what I found!

riverrat1
17 years ago

To make a long story short, we had to have an old homestead barn torn down that was FULL of DH families things. For many many years family would just put things in the old barn that they didn't want to throw away but they didn't want to keep in the house. The attic was full at one time also... We emptied out many old trunks and other things before I had the barn demolished. In one old steamer trunk I found a hand bound book of old botanical watercolors. I knew they were painted by a family member but there was no signature anywhere on the paintings. I was very interested in the watermark on the paper that read "Bissell & Pease". I fooled around with researching the paper, for 2 weeks, to see if I could date the watercolors. The only information I could come up with was a few documents dated in the 1830's. Well, DH turned the booklet over after two weeks and there was his Great Grandmothers signature. We now know they were painted, by her, somewhere around 1870. Cool huh? I just love old things.

Here they are after we framed them and hung them in our butlers pantry where my office is.

{{gwi:1386910}}

{{gwi:1469686}}

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County