SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Outdoor dining room/pergola

Lars
12 years ago

Yesterday, Kevin and I finished building a pergola in our back yard, to serve as an outdoor dining/entertaining area. We started on it the Sunday before when Jimmy and Matthew (Jimmy's son) came to help us with the foundation. Jimmy is a civil engineering, and so I trusted him with this part of the job. We used concrete footings from Home Depot that we buried under the paving stones in the patio. Jimmy and Matthew helped us get it most of the way up, and then I had to straighten out a few things that were off, and I also got some redwood slats to make the roof. The main part of the pergola was a kit made by the Amish in PA, but some of their cuts were off, and I had to adjust them. The roof was my idea - I needed shade! We had a canvas topped gazebo there before, which we will give to Jimmy to turn into an aviary.

The space is a bit bare now, and I will put some potted plants back there eventually - probably some bromeliads that need a bit of shade. There is very little shade in my yard, and I had to build a shady area for my orchids, which I keep outside until they bloom.

I might copy this message over to conversations.

Lars

Image link:

Comments (9)