Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fluffy Hiding from the Vet (pics)

Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 7:38

He's been having daily visits from the veterinarian to combat an asthma infection, so when the doorbell rings he runs to his safest hideout - under the table. This photo taken last year but he still does the same thing now every day. :-)

And here he is with Buffy. Both of them love to hang around on my work tables. No wonder my keyboard is always full of cathairs! LOL.

SharonCb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fluffy Hiding from the Vet (pics)////

Oops I forgot to mention why Fluffy's afraid in the top photo - 2 injections daily !

SharonCb

o
RE: Fluffy Hiding from the Vet (pics)

Sharon, what great pictures! Poor Fluffy :-(

o

LOL! Very funny!

Sharon, Your cats names are Fluffy, Buffy and....I think you have 6 cats?

o

Riverrat...

Yes there are five from our original bunch (all from the same straycat greatgrandmother, who bred exponentially in our garden before I caught them one by one and had them spayed), the names are Fluffy (the original big male cat) , Buffy (female)- seen in the photo above, smaller than the rest and about the same age - around 10 years old, Blackie (f), who sleeps in strange places Bunny who has white fine fur like a rabbit, seen together with Suzie (both females) who was blinded in an accident. Now Bunny stays close by her side, even though Suzie knows her way around the house and garden with no problems. She can even run across the lawn following a butterfly overhead by the sound.
And then there's the newest addition, another male, who came to our garden one day and decided he liked the free food and all the women (4 of them) and so stayed on, living outside in our backyard. I named him Tigger and it looks like he's too happy here to leave LOL!

SharonCb

o

Poor baby! Too cute!

o

Sharon, Very sweet kitty cats! I love that they all stay so close to your house. They don't run away?

o

They never have run away riverrat. Heck they have it too good at home - warm patio, lawn, bushes to hide under, food twice a day, and at night when it's chilly they can come inside and sleep on a blanket-covered chair - or in Buffy's case a warm electric heating pad in winter, and two of them sleep on my lap for a while if I'm watching TV. Free veterinary service (free for them I mean lol). If anything they're getting more and more attached to being around me but I stop at having more than two at a time on my lap :-).

They're all over 10 years old so they're in their senior years and have no urge to wander off any more.

SharonCb

o

Aah, Sharon... I love them all! You are such a good kitty Mommy! I think it's hilarious when Kit hides, but her tail is still "out". She really thinks she's hidden. Really great pictures of your furry family. I wish Kit would sit on my lap, but she won't...only beside me. She's ten years old too, but I still think of her as my baby...I don't want to think of her as a senior. Thanks for sharing!

Jayne

o

Sahron, you are indeed a good kitty Mommy. I was glad to read that the shots are almost over. Are they just given in the scruff of her neck or do they have to go into a vein? We gave our diabetic cat insulin injections twice a day for several years. It was far easier than when we had to give him pills, as you know that's a nightmare.

Now, for the time being our household is catless, but all of our cats thought they could hide under the glass topped coffee table in the living room. We never had the heart to tell any of them we could just look through and see them.

Lee

o

Oh Lee that's so funny about the glass topped table!

It's the same with Fluffy as he has been hiding under that table since last year LOL. But he forgets that we know he's there, especially when his tail is out. But as long as his head is underneath the cloth he thinks it's dark for us too :-).

The injections go into his backside. I'm holding onto the scruff of his neck and now can manage to hang on tight for about 10 seconds while the vet does his part. Today is the last day, thank heavens!

SharonCb

o

The name "Fluffy" always makes me think of Cartman's potbellied pig (on South Park).

Today when I was parking across the street from the back of my house, I noticed that the fence to the house across the street was opened up, and so I looked inside, and the house was completely gone. All that was left was some of the concrete foundation, which laid out the orientation of the rooms. It was like visiting a ghost town. I mention this because the woman who lived there had a black cat who spends most of his time in my yard, and still does! I'm not sure who is feeding him (not me), but he does not look hungry. He catches mice in my yard that are around the aviary, and he can drink water from my pond, when the waterfall is on. I won't leave cat food outside because it attracts possums, but I do think someone else is feeding him. He has a very nice disposition, but long fur, and so I can't get too close to him.

Lars

o

Lars why can't you get too close to him? Are you allergic to cat fur?
Seems odd that the woman would move away and leave her pet cat doesn't it.
I've only heard about but never seen South Park.

Here there are many stray cats as they breed on waste ground and as the weather is mild, they live outdoors and feed from back doors of hotels and restaurants. Several of the local animal shelters also try to catch and neuter them to stop the proliferation of homeless animals. My bunch originated from just one homeless mother whom I fed......and a few weeks later she came back to our garden with 6 babies in tow! Then they all disappeared for a while and came back with.....more babies! I had to enlist the help of a friendly retired Irish veterinarian to start catching (trapping) and spaying them all. So these are now the last of the bunch and they are quite domesticated and go no further than our garden wall.

In 2002 Fluffy had an accident and we never did find out if he had fallen from a roof or had gone out into the street and been hit by a vehicle, but he had a dislocated shoulder and broken leg. So he was operated by our Spanish vet and had a cast and splint on his leg for some weeks. The vet would come to check him out from time to time and Fluffy was so upset from being examined that he ran to hide in the cactus garden every time our doorbell rang.

I took a pic of him there in the garden at the time and as yesterday was the last visit from the vet, I printed out a full 8.5 x 11 inch semi-gloss colour print to give to him, with the caption 'waiting for the visit of Juan Carlos'. The total of seven daily visits to our house, including those on Saturday and Sunday only cost us slightly more than US$50. Some things are still to be had for little money here in Spain.

Fluffy's Broken Leg

SharonCb

o

Oh my, poor little Fluffy has had it rough, hasn't he! Such a sweetheart :-)

o

Sharon, you're a hero for helping out with all those cats. Don't, I repeat, don't ask Lars what happens to Fluffy on South Park. Ahem, to quote Annie.

o

All I remember from South Park was Cartman yelling "You leave Fluffy alone!"

Cats don't need mild weather to thrive outside - my parents have a lot of cats that breed outside, but coyotes get a lot of them.

Yes, I'm allergic to cat fur (or dander), and I can be around short-haired cats for a bit, but if I pet them, it gets pretty bad. I really like cats too, and I would have one if I weren't allergic.

Lars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here