SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

A foodie's honeymoon (long with pictures)

annie1992
15 years ago

OK, so I refuse to take you along for ALL the honeymoon, but you can come along for part of it. Actually, we didn't really have a honeymoon, we'll wait until about February and then go somewhere warm like Cancun or the Bahamas.

Anyway. I told everyone I didn't need flowers, music, decorations, any of that nonsense that goes with a big first wedding. Elery thought I needed flowers anyway and bought me a bouquet of white roses. I carried them with the Canary Island handkerchief:

After the wedding we went out to lunch at a local restaurant. I had broasted whitefish, it was really very good:

Makayla and Bud needed cake. What is a wedding without cake anyway? Luckily the restaurant had red cake:

I didn't need cake, I got a kiss from the Princess for dessert:

We headed for Elery's and spent an hour in the hot tub with some icy cold ice wine. The next day we got up, had some breakfast and headed for Ann Arbor. We hit HomeGoods, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It was Mother's Day, and we went to the Blue Nile for supper. It's an upscale Ethiopian restaurant where you get no flatware, you eat with your fingers and pick your dinner up with injera bread. The waiter brought hot towels to wash our hands before dinner:

Elery had a glass of Ethiopian honey wine, I had freshly brewed coffee, and we ordered a vegetarian platter and one with meat. The injera bread came wrapped in napkins to stay warm:

The vegetarian platter came with red and yellow lentils. collard greens with onion, garlic and jalapeno, some potatoes and carrots, a cabbage dish:

The meat dish had lamb, spicy beef, lemon chicken and this spicy chicken:

Before we left the waiter gave me a small jar of Ethiopian tea for Mother's Day:

We made a stop at an Ann Arbor bakery where the owner has been on the Food Channel on 4 different cake challenges. The place was closed or I would have gotten a cupcake!

After another night in the hot tub, we decided to tour Monroe, where Elery grew up, and then go to Toledo for chili dogs. We ended up here:

Anyone who watched MASH knows that Klinger made Toledo and Tony Packo's famous and so I had to have a chili dog. I also had some hungarian "kraut" which was actually cabbage, tomatoes and sauerkraut:

We checked out the hot dog buns signed by Paul Anka, Robert Goulet, Kenny G, Burt Reynolds:

On the way back "home" we stopped for sushi here. We got spicy tuna rolls and California Rolls:

There was an Asian market next door where Elery bought chili sauce, some quail eggs and brown rice for sushi. We passed on this "sashimi grade octopus":

Home again, another hot tub night and some music with his son Ben. Tuesday morning we decided to go to Turkeyville, LOL:

It wasn't all that interesting, so we headed for Potterville and Joe's Gizzard City. The Food Network was there awhile ago for Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. It was definitely a dive, LOL, but had a nice picture of Guy on the menu, LOL, pushing his batter dipped and deep fried burger. The people at the next table had one, it looked really.....um.....interesting.

We ordered a sampler platter which had regular batter dipped gizzards, herb/garlic gizzards and cajun style gizzards. Cocktail sauce was provided for dipping:

elery wondered if gizzards would go with Merlot. Nope, they don't. And, although I don't like wine and I especially don't like dry red wine, I gotta tell you that Sutter Home Merlot in a local bar is totally disgusting, LOL.

We even got an order of batter dipped and deep fried Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Cookies for dessert. They were still hot and the peanut butter was melted, so they were pretty good:

We had supper with his son and DIL on Tuesday and got our first wedding present. Jessica, you'd like his son, this is what we got, because we keep driving all over:

Yes, that would be a GPS. Elery played with it a lot, I would still rather just get a map, LOL, but he was like a kid with a GameBoy. In fact, I drove home on Wednesday so he could play with the TomTom. I did mention that I KNEW how to get home, but it didn't seem to make a difference, somehow. (grin)

We stopped in Grand Rapids to have lunch at the restaurant where we had our first date:

I had a Reuben Salad with freshly brewed root beer, he had the Cheddar Ale soup:

And then we came home. l I unpacked and later that evening we had supper. Elery grilled some salmon burgers with feta and spinach that we bought at Whole Foods and I made homemade honey wheat buns. I roasted asparagus, butternut squash and beets. The beet greens got steamed with pancetta, Elery had never eaten beet greens before. We both agreed that it was as good as any of the meals we'd had "out".

And so, that's it. Ashley says we went grocery shopping on our honeymoon, LOL. I did buy a new pair of sneakers and a KitchenAid Santuko knife. Yes indeed, a typical Foodie Honeymoon, LOL.

Annie

Comments (17)