SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

After five or six years, Chez Jessica's DH has a garden

jessyf
15 years ago

My DH loves gardens. He used to plant ours every year, but we haven't the past five or six because we've been busy with remodeling and now his job is eating him alive.

Stupid me suggested we start one again. He really doesn't have time, we should have waited one more year. But he is so happy! Here are some shots.

Tell Nancy (WizardNM) to NOT look too closely at his tshirt in this shot of our lower site, which I call the 'Lower 40'. Thats a used tiller he bought years ago. Not as big or bad as Annie's, LOL, but we don't have the acreage (or a place to store) a tractor. We planted gourds, a few giant pumpkins, and DH insisted on flowers here. I hate flowers. You can't eat them. They sometimes make a mess in the house. I consider them plant genitalia and utterly useless. I'm so NOT a romantic.

This is the plot of ten rows just above the 'Lower 40' - I call it 'Top Ten' just to differentiate which one I'm supposed to water (until the drip system kicks in). The shadow is from one of our two fig trees. Here we've planted tomatoes, peppers (hot and sweet), eggplant, shiso, basil, more flowers, corn, cucumbers, gourds, carrots, white pumpkin, watermelons, green beans, beets. Flowers in both spots include calendula, three kinds of sunflowers, zinnias, bachelor buttons, coneflowers, aw who cares I hate flowers.

Here is our tomato row - those two big ones are Sungolds (I tried them at Annie's a few years ago, and got hooked). DH #2 had just finished a Renaissance report so he named one Copernicus and the other Ptolemy. I don't know which is which. Boring Early Girls and Better Boys are on either side, but they will both beat supermarket maters.

I think these are neglected blackberries.

I guess I'll have to update as we go and grow!

Comments (39)