riverrat1
18 years ago

Banana Peppers

{{gwi:1468951}}

zucchini

{{gwi:1468952}}
tomatoe

{{gwi:1468953}}

I love this time of the year. Everything looks so fresh and nice....before the weeds take over!

How's your garden or pots looking?

Comments (47)

• lindac
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That's not spring!! That's freakin's summer!!
    Spring is no snow and daffodils budding!
    Yeash.....southerners!....LOL!
    Linda C

• pkguy
    18 years ago

Geeze, I can just barely see some of my blades of grass starting to green up under all the dead brown stuff. But a sure sign that spring is here now are all the gophers popping out of their holes. Little Ben actually caught one just the other day, man is he fast. went tearing across that field and the poor old thing didn't stand a chance. He's the only border collie I've had that can actually catch them and not just do a chase.

• Related Discussions

First signs of spring.

Q

Comments (2)
    We have the same effect here in Wis I'm in Zone 4, but on the south side of our house where the sun shines against the white siding, I would not be surprised if it was a mini zone 5 or 6! snow is always gone there first daffodils plants on south sides always bloom about 1 week or more earlier then daffodils elsewhere. actually There already daffodils sprouting at my aunts house along the south side. mine have not came up yet, but not there all under 6 inches of snow enjoy your spring garden!
    ...See More

First sign of spring

Q

Comments (15)
    We're two weeks from spring here in the central valley in Cal. Our early blooming trees (plums, apricotts, almonds...etc) begin blooming in mid Jan. Its quite a sight to see hundreds of thousands of fruit orchards blooming at the same time. My one lilac is about to leaf out and my citrus are putting out new growth and flower buds. I was out today doing some yard work and the weather was perfect (60 for a high and 40 for a low). lets just hope that we dont get another freak arctic blast like we did last January.
    ...See More

Whooo-hoo! First sign of spring....

Q

Comments (123)
    Yours were not the only weather bones making complaints. I told several people that this was not going to be pleasant. We had a forecast of over 1/4 inch rain today, getting icky tonight. Well, it was about 35F, raining, soaking everything thoroughly after lightning and thunder and a good bit last night. Next thing I know that rain was WHITE! Over half an inch of white rain later, it decided to get "clear" again, and now it's coloring up again. IT IS APRIL darn it! All my daffodils are lying face down in their beds! Now that I think of it, I might go bry my head in my bed too!
    ...See More

Sure sign of spring: first slug!

Q

Comments (9)
    yea.. they are out... I was also afraid to look, but as I was removing some leaf mulch.. I found them. As long as they eat/decompose my dried leaves, they are welcome. As much as I hate slugs, I can't make myself use sluggo, because it starves them and they die after several days. I try to leave a 'shelter' place for them (a board for example) and in the morning drop them in water with soap. I hope it kills them quickly. At the HVCC Garden Show, I bought a copper tape (made by Safer), and I'll see how this works. Nice weekend for slugs... Anne-Marie
    ...See More
  • riverrat1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Linda, your right! We don't have much of a spring to talk about. 4 seasons...fuggetaboutit! We go from winter to summer in about a week!

Peter, I was checking out Ben on your vacume thread. Such a good looking pooch!

• woodie
    18 years ago

I agree with Linda - we'd call that summer here, not spring, LOL! Looks wonderful, River!

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Yup, that's July or August here in Michigan, LOL.

Let's see, I do have garlic up about an inch, and the daffodils are getting brave, I can see the tips poking up out of the ground. There's still a little snow in some of the shady corners, though.

Annie

• woodie
    18 years ago

Our Swedish friends called yesterday from Stockholm and Jan-Ake was so happy that he had cleared away the latest snow from the garden yesterday morning, because he saw all their crocuses ready to pop - he estimated they'd be up in 2 days. He came back inside to have his coffee and when he went back out in 1/2 hour to finish up, the crocuses were gone and the deer were running away!

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

yep....summer for sure! Looks good, tho Riverrat!
    I do have lots of stuff popping up through the daed leaf mulch. Poppies, Iris, Columbine, Daylilies, etc. But I am leaving the leaves on them all for at least another couple of weeks until our night time temps are warmer.

Linda

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

annie, That means that you may have fresh veggies for canny camp? LOL! Oh and please see the Chinois thread. I think I'm begging you for some applesauce. I have no shame!

Woodie, does that mean that the deer were lying in wait! LOL, that's funny that the crocuses were gone in 1/2 an hour!

Linda, Every year they tell us to not plant until the first of April...I never listen, I plant around the first of March into mid March. Although if we have an unexpected freeze I always cover my veggies and herbs and hope for the best.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Riverrat, I do hope to have fresh veggies for canning camp. Apples, maybe. At least fresh tomatoes, sweet corn, cucumbers, maybe beets, green beans.

If I don't have ripe apples yet, there is a lovely little organic farm market whose owners have 40 acres and they grow everything they sell. If we do salsa, I'll probably pick up tomatoes from them unless Sherry tells me I can get them there, fresh and nice.

Oh, I'll probably have garlic too, LOL.

Annie

• harper
    18 years ago

riverrat, how early did you plant? I've had tomatoes for a couple weeks, but only flowers on the pepper plants. I hope this heat wave lets up before summer really sets in. It's gonna be tough to get tomatoes to set more fruit otherwise.

Just took a few shots in the yard. Tomatoes are Brandy Boy, Sun Gold cherries, and Viva Italia plum. The dill by the compost bin is what happens when you lay down plants full of seeds before tossing them into the bins. Dill tried to grow there all summer last year, but it wasn't until late fall and cooler temps that they had a chance to survive. Been waiting for a few swallowtails to ovipost before the same thing happens this year, because the heat is on.

Monarch cats have practically decimated my patch of milkweed. Found a couple in the Swiss chard the other day ... trying to find a spot to pupate. The guy in the last photo wasn't so lucky. Something killed him in the process.

Harper

Here is a link that might be useful: today in the garden

• kent4489
    18 years ago

Oh Wow, how did I miss this thread. Karen, looking good! Harper, beautiful garden! Both of you are so lucky to have everything coming on already. Enjoy your bounties! I'm debating weather to push my luck and plant tomatoes this weekend, about 3 weeks early.

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Whoo Hoo Annie! Bring on the garlic!

I took my chances and planted the garden earlier than I have ever planted before. I can't remember exactly...maybe around the second week in March. This year I planted transplants instead of cultivating from seeds. I'm thinking it paid off seeing that I've already harvested some peppers and will soon have zucchini.

Your garden looks great Cindy! I usually plant some parsley in pots for the Monarch cats hoping they will leave my garden parsley alone. It's worked so far. What do you use for the tomato caterpillars?

Jayne I remember you writing about your tomato plants from last year. How well the plants and fruit survived the season in Florida without you being there full time. Will you be planting in Florida again or in Indiana or both?

I'm viciously fighting dollar weed and clover this year. I've resorted to painting Roundup on them.

• harper
    18 years ago

Riverrat, already harvesting? Wow, you really did get a jump start. Course you're a little further south, but still. I grow all my tomatoes and peppers from seed. Start them in the house in January then move to the cold frame till March. Did notice the first little jalapeno today. The plants have been covered with beautiful purple flowers, but it's nice to see the first fruit.

Monarch butterflies only ovipost on milkweed. The Eastern Black Swallowtail uses dill, parsley, and fennel as host plants.

When I see tomato hornworms they're promptly picked off and squished with a vengeance. Knock on wood, I haven't seen one this year.

Harper

• kent4489
    18 years ago

Karen, I gave up on tomatoes in FL...I'm not there enough to "enjoy the fruits of my labor"! LOL My neighbors did though. I'll plant them here in IN...nothing better than a home-grown Hoosier tomato!

• booberry85
    18 years ago

I have garden envy! My pepper & tomato plants are inside and maybe three inches tall. I haven't started any squash yet. It'll be another month before I can plant outside. I was happy to see that my Egyptian onions, sage, and oregano made it through the winter.

Boo

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Garlic? OK, Riverrat, this is how it looks right now:

{{gwi:1468954}}

I have just a few crocus starting too, for some reason the purple always bloom first, then the yellow, then the white.

{{gwi:1468955}}

Certainly no tomatoes yet, but I am going to run the rototiller on Friday and transplant some strawberries for Dad.

Annie

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Annie, I'm just seeing your garlic for the first time today. Looking good. I didn't plant garlic this year:-(

My first tomato of the season was just turning orange/red. The granddog came over yesterday and had it for a snack. Yep, I was not a happy camper! At least she has good taste.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Well, finally I'm catching up with some of you, I have blossoms on my almond tree, and some tulips and bleeding heart. The garlic is about a foot tall now.

{{gwi:1468956}}

{{gwi:1468957}}

{{gwi:1468958}}

Annie

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

I love to garden..I just wish I had a talent or soil for edibles..So far I am still concentrating on establishing my beds..

Some of my favorite flowers are here..

My fair weather hobby

You click on the biggger photo to have access to the albums...

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Monique!! Your flowers and photography are amazing! Wow!

Since the hurricane we had last year I've been trying to establish new planting beds. Hard work but worth it in the end. My old shade areas are now full sun with all the trees we lost so i'm finding new and exciting plants to research and plant.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Monique, your gardens are beautiful. I especially liked the Fairy Pond Garden, it's just lovely and restful.

Those flowers I've posted are actually flukes. I'm not really a gardener, I'm a farmer. Most of my time, space and resources go into organic vegetables, and I'll be planting that garden this weekend. There will be beans, corn, cucumbers, zucchini, potatoes, onions, rutabaga, parsnips, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, basil, dill, and whatever else strikes my fancy. Of course there are apples, grapes, pears, strawberries and gooseberries too. I did promise Savannah a row of her favorite sunflowers, so there will be some in there.

So, while you are making bouquets for your home, I'll be making my own "bouquets", in the form of homecanned fruits and vegetables, golden jellies, green pickles, red tomatoes, shining like jewels on my shelves.

Flowers, vegetables, fruits, it's all good. I love the green and growing things.

Annie

• Solsthumper
    17 years ago

River, are you ready for another laugh? I can run out and take pictures of my garden, if you'd like.

You guys are amazing. How I'd long to have a green thumb.

Sol

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Sol..you must have ! Look at your violets:)

Annie.I would love to be making edible bouquets..:) A bowl of home grown veggies in the house is heartwarming.

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

Sigh!

My veggie garden was done away with last fall when. It was dilapidated and after 20 years, the surrounding trees had grown so tall it was mostly shaded. But in its glory days, my little 12 x 14 garden could yield 30 lbs of tomatoes a week, plus other lovely veggies and greens. It was a problem keeping up as a weekender, and by mid season, the bloom was off the tomato, so to speak, and the critters got out of control, so I only miss the good things, like a warm, juice tomato, juice dripping down my arm as I ate it just picked. Im salivating.

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hehehe, I just noticed I spelled tomato with an "e" = tomatoe in my opening post on this thread. I am a horrible speller and always have been. I'm so glad I have other redeeming qualities ;-)

I was once told by a physician that I have undiagnosed ADD with probable dyslexia. At this stage of the game I'm doing just fine and feel no great need to get help although these days I would like a little hyperactivity...

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Riverrat, that's funny, my doc also accused me of adult ADD. I told him I liked being hyperactive, thanks anyway.

Ashley threatened to buy me a tshirt that says "People say I'm ADD, but they just don't understand. OH LOOK, A CHICKEN!!"

The family joke has now become "Oh look, a chicken", whenever someone is talking a zillion miles an hour or going off on about three different subjects.

Annie

• harper
    17 years ago

Monique, your flowers are amazing! I especially enjoyed your cottage garden tour. And all those clematis! Wow! I have one, Polish Spirit, that I had to transplant this year. The bed it was in will be destroyed in the demo. I found a baby along side the original, so now I have 2. LOL I need to find another (or 2) that bloom later in the year and plant them all together.

Harper

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

Monique, I just went back to look; your flowers are gorgeous

• msazadi
    17 years ago

I haven't looked in here but oh...to have some of those gardens. You all are much more willing than I am to make these things happen, and it's a joy to share in them. Each one shows the owner's personality.

As much as I love to grow veggies, I've found that besides our renovation which put a near death knoll to the yard during those two years, we have travelled so much that the fruits of our minimal labors really suffer from lack of attention and water. As I rebuild, it is mostly gray and white with enough herbs and chile peppers interspersed to keep my kitchen happy. I have no spousal interest in the garden work, and thus it really has become work, not much of a joy when I get home from the office. Oh well...another lifetime perhaps.
    Maureen

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments about my hobby.Still in progress..

Maureen.It is work..

Jacques mows the lawns..but has no interest in the garden except for complimenting me.:)

Once in a while :)

So I do it because it's exercise and quite spiritual for me if that's the right word..
    If I worked 5 days a week regular hours.I don't think I would be as intense about it.Or even if I would have developped a passion.
    My friend near Ottawa works 5 days a week.. works at the Market on Saturdays.and has gardens that you dream about!

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Annie, I used your "hey look, there's a chicken" verse today. I needed to lighten the mood in the room. I tell ya, it worked! I've been called a strange one before but today I think several people know I'm certifiable.

I love your bleeding heart plant. I wanted one badly a few years ago but knowing that it would not do well in my zone...but I tried and kept it alive 1/2 a season. For a short while it was glorious.

I put a bottle tree in one of my flower beds. I think its funny and it makes me smile when I look at it. Please excuse the tree stump and the bare ground. I'm still dealing with hurricane issues.
    {{gwi:1468959}}
    Some of the old cajuns would have a bottle tree by their home hoping the bad spirits would get trapped in the bottle. I lost a beautiful Redbud tree in the hurricane and instead of replacing the tree in that spot I put this instead. It makes me laugh!
    {{gwi:1468960}}

{{gwi:1468961}}

{{gwi:1468962}}

My granddog catching those baaaaad lizards!

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Ahh..RR..what is that knockout second daylily? Pink w/ the white striped markings? I am in love!

• harper
    17 years ago

Karen, is that a dead tree? I'm thinking if my spring-transplanted Nuttall Oak doesn't make it (the caterpillars ate half its leaves) I may turn it into a bottle tree. Be a great excuse to buy that blue glass bottled water. LOL

Harper

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Riverrat, that remark works for a lot of things, it lightens the mood but it also gets prompt silence from Ashley. (grin) Yeah, I'm certifiable too, but I'm fun!

I like that first lily, they don't grow as well for me as some other things do, so of course I like them. Right now I have a zillion lilies of the valley blooming and the lilacs are just starting so my yard smells SOOOOOO good.

Nice bottle tree. I echo Harper's question: Is it dead?

Annie

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Monique, I'm sorry I don't have the name of this particular daylily. Several years ago we embarked on a rather large construction project and many daylilies were moved and not tagged. I can tell you that it rapidly multiplies.

I didn't realize that the picture would look like a dead tree, but it sure does! LOL! It's made of rebar. I got it at a flower show recently.
    {{gwi:1468963}}
    On a different note, look what DH got for Mothers day.

{{gwi:1468965}}

I need to figure out how to hide it! Yuck! Or at least minimize the hole opening so you can't see all the guts.

• harper
    17 years ago

Well, isn't that something! I've seen 'em made with dead and live trees, but didn't know you could buy one. LOL

I'm dreading the day a flat screen comes to live here. As long as it fits in the armoire and I can still close the doors guess it'll be ok.

Harper

• msazadi
    17 years ago

Oh I like that bottle tree too, and the idea of it too. ;-) I think I'll have to have a spot for one. Great inspiration RR. Maureen

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Well it's gorgeous,and you must love living on the water:)

i hear you re the TV.. men like the look.
    I'd like them if they were covered in chintz:)

• canarybird01
    17 years ago

Monique your garden and photos are truly beautiful. I have seen them previously as well when I was looking at them through another link.

Gardening is really contagious isn't it. Once you've planted a few things and put your hands into the soil, it takes you over and changes the way you live. I used to garden for 6 and 8 hours per day but have been having a break lately and am mostly looking after the herbs and flowerpots while getting the gardener to do the heavy digging which I also used to do.

SharonCb

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Thank you Sharon..Yes I have found Gardening has changed me..

I love it.
    I have admired your gardens also..and find you very lucky to be able to enjoy your lovely meals in your gardens and the beautiful surroundings of your town:)
    Must be a photographer's heaven.
    I have yet to see my tulips open.Rain for days..so they have bloomed..and the petals will fall soon..without opening to the sun:(

• Lars
    17 years ago

Monique, I just now read through enough of this thread to find your garden photos, which are quite stunning! I can't put that much effort into gardening, but I certainly appreciate the efforts and realize that you must have put in a huge amount of work. (I've watched gardeners work before!)

Do you live in a rural area? I saw no evidence of neighbors. Your house is beautiful too, from what I can see of it.

Lars

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Monique, I've gone through your entire album again. Your work is an inspiration! Thank you!

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Thank you Lars and RR..

I do love to garden..We have had miserable weather as I said on WFD.. so my enjoyment is limited this week,but nevertheless..I still see everything in bloom even if it's not.
    I have friends..that have fantastic gardens and feel very humbled by them..but this will do for me..as a very rewarding hobby in more ways than I can say.

Lars I live 30 mins to a big Metropolitan city..in a touristy town of ap 5000.
    Touristy in summer and fall and Spring.. oh so quiet in winter!
    I can walk to town.. and to work.. but for work always take my car.
    I really do love it here..even with the weather.But would one day love to visit Ca..
    I have enjoyed seeing the restos you go to.. the shops..your own site..

And have loved looking at my garden friends gardens there.
    Sublime.
    One is an Iris grower and has thousands..on a magnificent property.. another is in zone 10 and grows so many edibles it's unbelievable..Most I first met..here at GW in the gardens. ...in 2001..
    It really is a fun place this cyberworld.You get to know so many very nice people.

• Lars
    17 years ago

Monique, although I also live almost 30 minutes from downtown L.A., I'm still in an urban/suburban environment, and I also live in a touristy town, of about 32,000. According to this site, there are almost 10,000 restaurants within 15 miles of us.

I hope you do get a chance to visit Ca and maybe we can meet in person! Our tourist season is pretty much all year, but it peaks in July and August, when we get hordes of Europeans. I try to have my sister visit in early August to escape the humid heat of Texas. This week-end we have the Venice Art Walk, which is a walking tour to the personal studios of local artists. I hope to get DB to sign up for this one year, but it will require a good deal of yard work for us.

Lars

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Lars..that is where my clients lived for a while with their daughter who is an actress..they visited her frequently..I have seen many photographs..

I hope you are going to the Artist's tour..
    I have seen your brother's work in a post you made and I loved it..
    We have our own little one..But unlike Venice..we get smaller crowds..and our real estate is actually affordable.
    Our climate does not compare:) I know..

I really don't travel a lot.. but who knows what the future holds...You always look like a good time is had by all at the get togethers.

And our dollar is on the upswing.
    I remember over 30 yrs ago..our dollar was at par..then worth a touch more..then downhill from there on..until recently..
    Cross border shoppers are flocking to the States again..
    I have always enjoyed that.
    Here is a clipping from our local paper this week..

Artists welcome Studio Tour's return
    Now in its third year, The Hudson and Region Studio Tour is back again this fall after two very successful seasons. Last year, over 1100 visitors came from 40 different communities to check out our local talent. This year's tour will include 16 artists/artisans, ten of who are returning from last year. Six new artists include two sculptors, two mixed media artists and a bird carver. The Tour will be held September 23-24th and, again this year, admission is free. Other mediums include photography, ceramics, quilting, stained glass, painting, paper-making, telescope carving and jewelry design. Here is a quick first peek at the artists in this year's tour:

Ian Coristine's aerial photography has been featured in publications including Gourmet, Canadian Geographic and France's Le Figaro. His first book, "The 1000 Islands" is a multi-year bestseller. His second book, "Water, Wind and Sky" was released last year.

Heather Dubreuil is a quilter who works with both original and traditional designs. Heather has produced award winning quilts, wall hangings and pillows in her sun-filled studio overlooking Lake of Two Mountains. Heather favors rich, saturated colors in her "country style" pieces and in her contemporary batik works.

André Floyd, ceramic artist and potter, creates decorative tableware using hand-thrown porcelain featuring glaze paintings of picturesque moments of Canadiana.

Gérard (Gerry) Fuentes is a bird carver who started out by carving ducks and then discovered raptors. This new passion brought immediate results in prizes at all levels, including first prize at the Quebec Championship in 2005. This year Gerry took blue-ribbon honours at the World Bird Carving Championships. Gerry also gives carving courses in his studio in St Lazare.

Normand Fullum is an award-winning telescope maker who has carved scopes from rosewood, birch wood and cherry wood. His artistic carving style ranges from Victorian to Shaker to Modern.

Joanne Kielo is a paper artist who explores the potential of flax (linen) in her handmade paper art. She grows her own flax and operates her papermaking studio "The Barn" in Hudson. She will begin exhibiting her work this month in Ottawa in a show entitled Subtle Body Revisited.

Rosalie Levi's sculptures and jewellery reflect the spirit and energy within the form, with fluid and sensual lines. They are cast in bronze, silver, resin or ciment fondu. Her works have been exhibited in galleries in Montreal and Toronto.

John Marok is an artist who adapts and develops each visual act of motifs, themes, rebuses and symbols toward a sense of wholeness. The print media he employs are woodcuts, serigraphy and intaglio using papers from European and Oriental sources.

Joanna Olson creates paintings using water media and oil, traditional and experimental as well as handcrafted jewelry. Using a torch and glass rods from Venice, she designs and creates glass beads and pairs them with handmade sterling silver components, freshwater pearls and semi-precious stones.

Denise Paquette is a colorist for whom nothing exists but her concentration on the application of colors when she is at work in her studio. She takes the lead when beginning her painting but soon the paint, paper and water have their say and give her something excitingly unexpected.

Sylvia Portner has a pottery studio making wheel, thrown and hand-built stoneware in blue and earth-tone glazes. Her work is oven, microwave and dishwasher safe.

Adèle Reeves is a sculptor who celebrates the symbiotic relationship of humans and the natural world through ceramic sculpture, big, small and wearable.

Suzanne Reid's prints have been exhibited extensively since 1970. Her prints are renowned in Canada as well as abroad by the originality of her woodcut using a reduction method technique. She has been represented in prestigious public and private collections in Canada and abroad.

Monique Verdier is an intuitive artist/artisan using mixed media in her studio in response to her environment. Monique will show you how the combination of canvas, paper, watercolor, acrylic, collage and stamping can produce images either realistic or abstract with rich surfaces and surprising complexity. Her garden art is original and charming.

Solange Villeneuve is a painter whose work has a bright and luminous style and is superimposed with linear graphics. She has had her work exhibited in Quebec, France and the USA. Her paintings come from the heart and all who have seen them experience a renewed interest in the arts.

Shernya Vininsky derives her inspiration for her paintings and stained-glass works from nature, whether it's horses, birds, flowers or panoramic landscapes.

With 16 artists to visit this year, there is sure to be something to please all art lovers. Keep an eye open for more information about the tour in upcoming issues. The organizers, Al and Georgia Jared and John and Betty Marok will once again soon have their website up and running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joanna Olsen is one of my favorite artists:) And Mrs.Villeneuve is my daughter's friends mom..
    Mrs.Dubreuil is one of our physician's wives..It's a small town what can I say?:)

There are similarities..all through the world aren't there!

• Lars
    17 years ago

Monique, we're not going on the art walk this year - it's a bit expensive, but at least it is for a good charity - the Venice Family Free Clinic. Robert Graham's studio is usually on the list here, but I don't remember the others that well. It is amazing that you have such a similar tour where you live! Have you bought anything from the tour? On a somewhat related note, DB Kevin used to live in Albany, in the Hudson River valley - not the same river as yours, but a coincidence in the name! He got his MFA at SUNY Albany, and I visited him for his thesis presentation one May.

Yesterday we spent a good deal of time updating our garden, and I finally got around to planting herbs and seeds. I went to the Marina Del Rey Garden Center and bought sweet basil, Thai basil, oregano, hot & spicy oregano, roma tomato, salsa tomato, and serrano pepper plants. I'm not very good with seeds, unless they just reseed themselves, and so I generally buy plants for transplanting. I keep everything in big pots so that it will be easier to control weeds, although occasionally I have wild tomatoes in the yard, as well as herbs that go wild, like parsley and cilantro, although cilantro only grows here in the winter.

We don't really have "signs of spring" here that are very recognizable, except for the orchid cactus, which do not bloom until April. Because of the rain, we had {{gwi:1468950}} which might look more like spring than winter.

Lars

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

Lars thank you for all the info on Robert Graham.I am ashamed to say I did not know of him.I learned something new.
    The garden centre looks so nice..Of course I have heard of Marina Del Rey..
    Some of the garden centres my gardenfriend has shown me near her home are outstanding.
    The statuary.. the plants..vistas.. she is near San Francisco and Napa..Well driving distance to both:)Easily.
    She's shared Carmel with me:)
    Lars..My nasturtiums have never ever looked like yours.
    They're perfect!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio