SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Copenhagen finally gets high heels

annie1992
18 years ago

Some of you probably remember when my gelding, Copenhagen, foundered in the winter. I spent weeks "rehabbing" him, going to the farm every night for a couple of months.

His feet have finally healed enough for him to get his "corrective shoes", built up a bit in the back to encourage him to walk on his toes, like a horse is supposed to.

Here is our farrier, Ron, custom bending a shoe to fit:

{{gwi:1468920}}

First he cleans the hoof of debris and makes sure there are no injuries, etc. You might be able to see a crack right by Ron's thumb. This has been pretty sore for Copenhagen, he's been favoring that foot:

{{gwi:1468921}}

Next comes the clipping, much like clipping fingernails. Hooves grow just like nails and have to be clipped. Yes, that's Dad in the background, supervising.

{{gwi:1468922}}

Now comes the shoe, held on with 6 nails.

{{gwi:1468923}}

The toe is filed, that's one heck of an emory board, isn't it? The farrier's stand gives the horse a little more balance and makes it a lot easier on the farrier's back. Cope will set a foot right up on the stand, like he's getting a manicure.

{{gwi:1468924}}

Ah, finished at last. See the little "tabs" that come up over the hoof. Those help hold the hoof together to avoid cracks and splits becoming bigger problems:

{{gwi:1468925}}

Finally, a happy horse. Doesn't he look proud of himself? About 3 seconds after I snapped this picture he stole the hat that's right in front of his nose. Stinker.

{{gwi:1468926}}

He's getting around much better with the shoes, you can tell he just feels better. That makes me happy.

Annie

Comments (19)