SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chase_gw

My sideline.....hooking!

chase_gw
18 years ago

Just thought you may be interested in seeing examples of my hooking. Now remmeber I'm a novice hooker. Just working on my fourth piece. The hooking I am learning to do is traditional hooking not latch hooking. We use pure wool which we hand dye, cut it in strips and then bring through the canvas in small loops. I haven't mastered the dyeing part yet but thats this Springs challenge. The thing I find difficult is deciding what colours to use, no paint by numbers happening, just a blank canvas with a pattern printed on it.

My first rug was a fun piece for my niece, never took pics. Here is my second trick, I mean rug

. As you can see it isn't finished yet. I'm a great starter......

Here is my third rug

. A little closer look at the

Must admit I'm pretty proud of that Monarch! Need to bind and set this one too.... : (

Now I'm working on a very large rug for the cottage, 4' X 6', it's a cottage country pictorial and very challenging.

Comments (29)

• Gina_W
    18 years ago

Those are beautiful Sharon. How long does it take you?

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Very nice, Sharon! I am totally impressed! Please be sure to post the cottage rug when it is finished.

Teresa

• canarybird01
    18 years ago

Aren't you a clever girl Sharon ! Those are beautiful.

Looking forward to seeing the big one when it's finished too.

I bet one of those will look great in your cottage.

SharonCb

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Well now I know what you have been up to. I like them both, but I especially love the Oak leaf, the pattern and the colours. Beautiful.

Ann

• annie1992
    18 years ago

I agree, Ann, I like that Oak Leaf rug with the various browns and creams. The colors are very nice.

Sharon, you are getting to be quite an accomplished hooker, and you seem to enjoy it. Maybe we could call you the Happy Hooker? Of course, that's already been done, but still....

All joking aside, those are beautiful.

Annie

• riverrat1
    18 years ago

Sharon, I knew you were hooking but I thought you were a beginner! Wow, those are accomplished pieces.v I like the oak leaves rug the best.

I remember when I was stripping woodwork in the house. If someone called and asked "what cha doing?" I remember saying I was stripping....

• deanna1949
    18 years ago

Sharon, that's quite an accomplishment. My DDIL is a hooker also. She learned from her grandmother. That's one of the few crafts that I have never attempted. It looks painful.

• shaun
    18 years ago

Wow! Beautiful work. I had no idea you were a hooker girl.

• woodie
    18 years ago

Sharon, your rugs are just beautiful. I especially like the oak leaves. I knew you were hooking but didn't realize how accomplished you were at it :-)

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys! I'm really enjoying the learning experience but have a long way to go.

I like the Oak Leaves too but I'm prouder of the Butterflies. Hooking all that detail was a real challenge. For example, the pattern only has an outline of the log. You have to figure out how to make it look like it has dimension and light. I also had to research the various butterflies to determine the colours and detail. The leaves was just (just I say!) a matter of shading.

Diana, as far as time, I can't really say but it's lots! I have done 3 rugs, starting a 4th, in almost 2 years and I spend about 7-10 hours a week hooking. That counts all the research, wool cutting and colour planning.

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry..I meant Gina not Diana......get those California babes confused!

• lorijean44
    18 years ago

Beautiful, Sharon! How do you display them?

Lori

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    18 years ago

Those are beautiful, Sharon! You are a very talented hooker :)

• lindac
    18 years ago

There is a very dedicated group in town.....calling themselves "The Happy Hookers".....many of them are so involved they drop all other commitments and just meet with the hooker group.....and...WOW do thney do beautiful stuff!!
    Am really glad to see you still have time to pop in here from time to time....
    Tongue firmly in cheek!!
    Linda C

• cindy_5ny
    18 years ago

Wow, Sharon - I'm impressed! Beautiful pieces and keep us updated on the cottage rug!
    You are doing the hooking profession proud :)

Cindy

• jessyf
    18 years ago

Sharon, us Californians all look alike, dontcha know?

(psssst Ann make me Sharon's swap partner now so I can start shamelessly plugging)

• debbie814
    18 years ago

Sharon, they are works of art. Just stunning.

• homesforsale
    18 years ago

I don't even know how I got here:)

I love them!!Masterpieces Sharon!
    When I go to the Cape..I have tried to visit Claire Murray stores as often as I could..Twice in 7 yrs:(

This is a craft I would enjoy..I did crewel work the first 10 yrs of our marriage while the girls were young and I was at home..
    Have not touched it in 20 yrs..and now I have taken up needlepoint again..basket weave on printed stocking canvas:)
    I adore the calm:)
    This is fun for me:) I see for you too.
    C'est beau!

• chancesmom
    18 years ago

Those are stunning, especially the oak leaves, just the colours that happen to appeal to me.....and the detail is amazing!

you should be proud of yourself.

janet

• scott55405
    18 years ago

Very nice Sharon! My mom and sister both do this, and both also belong to hooking groups and have given instructional classes. My sister has gone so far as to dye her own wool.

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys! I am loving this craft but have a very long way to go. As Linda mentioned you should see some of the work the "elders" put out! Flippin' amazing! Scott I bet your Mom and sister do amazing work. Hopefully I'll get closer to "there" some day.

Spent hours today trying to figure out colours for my cottage pictorial. Want to do all four seasons, so how does the sky and water and ice and snow and trees, really look? Sure isn't blue, white, and green! I've never painted but I am starting to understand how complex colours are. I'm hanging in....and humbled.

• craftyrn
    18 years ago

Those are absolutely gorgeous Sharon--- you said you didn't use a latch hook ? so educated me--a large eye needle -up & thru and back down leaving the loop?

Diane

• chase_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Diane this technique involves cutting pure wool fabric into long, thin strips and then bringing it up, with a hook, in continous loops through a canvas. The rug side is closed loops.

Latch hooking is individual short pieces of yarn (not wool fabric) that are brought up through the canvas and when finished look sorta like a "shag carpet". The wool is open on the rug side.

Clear as mud????

• trixietx
    18 years ago

They are beautiful, I especialy love the oak leaves.

What a talented Hooker you are,

you must have a lot of patience!

• dlundin
    18 years ago

I was expecting to see a saucy picture of you in a vinyl mini-skirt. Rats. Well, the rugs are beautiful, too.

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

Nice job Sharon. I love trying to figure out colors for things. You are painting BTW, it's just with wool rather than liquid paint.
    Keep going...

Nancy

• caliloo
    18 years ago

THose are beautiful, Sharon!

I (unfortunately) don't have the patience to do projects like that and I have an enormous respect for people that do.

Great job!

Alexa

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

Wow, Sharon, those are absolutely beautiful! Hard to believe you are a novice, looks like you have been hooking your whole adult life!

Linda

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

You are very talented! Like Linda, I can't believe you have just started.

I use to sew everything, bathing suits, tee shirts, slip covers, suits, and actually won a blue ribbon at the fair-now I can't even hem my own slacks.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville