SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deanna1949

Superb Swap from San Antonio!!

deanna1949
17 years ago

DH brought in two--yes, two!!--packages this evening. I was worse than a kid at Christmas. Brenda (brenda 55, I think) sent enough bubble wrap to stock a store, and believe me, that really slowed me down! LOL But it was worth it. Everything arrived safe and sound.

Now for the delicious details. First of all, the packages were wrapped beautifully with fall colors, raffia, and berry wire.

{{gwi:1467547}}all wrapped up

A gorgeous homemade card held a letter describing all of the enclosures. I think Ann did a good job of matching us up. It seems we have lots in common, including a 4 yr-old DGD. There was a jar of Linda Lou's Sweet Pickle Chips that Brenda put up this summer. They're in the fridge right now chilling so I can have some tomorrow. Can't wait!! Plus jars of Plum Jelly and Pear Preserves by Kewpie's (named after the makers' grandmother). Yummy!!

{{gwi:1467548}}pickles,preserves

Next is a fabulous cookbook from the Richardson Woman's Club. I love how the index has the entries categorized by main ingredients. You know how when you're looking for something to make with cranberries, for instance, a name like Red Jezebel doesn't tell you a thing, but if it's listed under cranberries, well, that's just what you're looking for. I spent a long time already looking over the recipes. There are some great-sounding ones in there, especially with the holidays just around the corner. Brenda pointed out "Fire and Ice Cranberries" that she thought she'd like to try. It's an appetizer using cranberries, jalepeno jelly and cilantro. I'll try that one for sure.

{{gwi:1467549}}cookbook

{{gwi:1467550}}inside

Oh, but the Regional item was the topper!! It's an art-glass dish made by a Texas artist, and it's simply beautiful. My photos don't do it justice! I've used this 50's color in my guest room and bath, and our master suite leans towards this watery color also. I'm never sure what to call that color. Kind of a watery seaglass aqua. I just love it! It blends with my kitchen/dining room also. But it's too lovely to use.

{{gwi:1467551}}art glass

And here's the entire marvelous assortment. Brenda, I can't thank you enough. And thanks to Jessy also for helping Brenda do some undercover work. You guys are incredibly sneaky! Brenda, I want to email you privately because there were several things you mentioned in your letter that make me think we could be sisters! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

{{gwi:1467552}}all

Comments (37)

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

Super swap package. I have had Linda Lou's Sweet Pickles and they are great. My favorite use for them is on a battered fish sandwich with some mayo. That plate is stunning. The shape, color everything. Nice job Brenda!!

-Robin

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

Deanna, Oh wow! I love the dish! Heck I love it all! Enjoy your package. BTW, I have those same exact oil/candle burners that I see in your above photo that are on your table. I've had mine forever.

Great job Brenda! I love that you two have so much in common.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Is any one from Austin coming to the San Antonio swap?

Q

Comments (1)
    never mind.
    ...See More

San Antonio Plant Swap 04/05/14

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you everyone for securing the site, establishing the swap & for your generous sharing. I scored the neatest plants & had so much fun visiting with everyone. Particular thanks to Patty for hauling down a PICKUP BED SIZED "Flores Street Houseater" rose, plus many other wonderful roses & plants. And Roselee, besides the neat Manfreda/agave cross, thank you for the wonderful Peter Beales "Classic Roses" book--what a thrill!--been pouring over it since Sat. (but ya know, there's a NAME for people who take photos of dummies making big silly grins THEN POSTING THE PICS ON THE INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!) Seriously, though, please e-mail me your addy--I have LOTS of the Gregg's dalea--I'd love to send you a good bunch so you can get it started & enjoy the blooms.
    ...See More

San Antonio Plant Swap and Garden Visit Oct. 2012 ...

Q

Comments (7)
    We had a great time. And no, I didn`t stop at a single nursery on the way home. Jim filled the car up with rocks! Thanks again for having us. See you in the spring. I owe Patty some ginger and Rebecca thalia and purple stem taro. I`ve been planting and repotting all day today. I`ll get pics posted later. Barb brought me "two" giant crinums, I think there are 30++ in those two pots! Tally HO!
    ...See More

anyone from Dallas area going to San Antonio Swap?

Q

Comments (2)
    How sweet are you?! IF no one comes, i'm happy to send for it and send you something as well!
    ...See More
  • Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

That dish is gorgeous..and begs to be displayed and used!
    It would be nice to display some lovely small cookies on it.

Mmmmmmm pickles..I love pickles.

And the cookbook looks fantastic!

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Oh yeah I forgot about that swap spy stuff.....you almost ended up with a bottle of wine!

I LOVE that plate! You nailed it, Brenda!

• brenda55
    17 years ago

Deanna, I am glad you got your package, everything was intact and you like it. I was beginning to worry since I mailed it Tuesday and they said it would be there Thursday. Jessy is so right, you did almost end up with a bottle of wine.

We are alot more alike than you know, Deanna. I had my package wrapped and ready to send, except for the card as I was still looking for some fallish paper when I saw a picture of the swap box you sent to your partner (May, I think). I almost fell off my office chair, it was soooo similiar to the one I was getting ready to send to you from the cookbook to the ribbon. So, I tweaked the box quite abit then. lol

Brenda

• dlundin
    17 years ago

Love the dish, such a beautiful color! And I'm like Teri... love me my pickles. Great package!

• netla
    17 years ago

Great swap package. The cookbook is interesting - I have often wished that more cookbooks had recipes listed by ingredients. And the dish is lovely.

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

Wonderful package. The plate is pretty. I'd love to peek a that cookbook! I'll be the pickles are going to be great, as will be the jelly and preserves. Enjoy!

Great job Brenda!

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

That is a very lovely package...the pictures in the book look quite charming. And the glass bowl is really pretty.

janet

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

What a gorgeous dish, it's stunning! Tha looks to be a beautiful cookbook too, looks like it could be left out on the coffeetable.

Brenda you did good, and what a nice wrapping job! I'm woefully incompetent in that regard.

Enjoy Deanna

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

What a wonderful swap package, Brenda! So beautifully wrapped - I usually go with bubble wrap only.

The cookbook looks beautiful - now why don't more cookbooks list by ingredient? Great idea! I love the beautiful glass dish and I would fill it with pickles or chocolates - but not both at the same time.

Beautiful card as well. Enjoy everything, Deanna!

• shaun
    17 years ago

Terrific Box! I love that little plate, it's the prettiest color isnt it? Enjoy!

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

What a lovely package. The plate is beautiful, the cookbook looks pretty and useful, complete with Texas wildflowers - it can't get any better than that, and the canned stuff looks yummy. Way to go, Brenda, I bet Deanna will get lots of enjoyment out of all of it.

Sally

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Wow, I noticed the "SWAP" on the card right away and thought that was awesome!

The canned goods are always welcome surprises, and I absolutely LOVE the color of that dish! Beautiful!

Brenda, you done good, girl!
    Deanna, be sure to share that cranberry recipe with us!

Linda

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

Oh! Deanna, I can't see any of the pictures, and your swap sounds WONDERFUL!! I'd love to see them, especially the dish!!

Brenda swapped to me in the last swap, and my package was wonderful, too!! Great job, again, Brenda!!

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    17 years ago

What a great package! I love the plate. it's so nice! Enjoy all your goodies, Deanna! Nice going, Brenda. really nice!

• ziporion
    17 years ago

I love the plate too, and I'm with terri, it does beg to be used and enjoyed.
    The preserves will be eaten up pretty quickly I'm sure! Hope you enjoy the package Deanna.

Nice job Brenda!

Catherine

• catlover
    17 years ago

I love - love that glass dish. The cookbook is great to look at too! Adele

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

Not only are the items beautiful, but your camera work was pretty darn good. It really showed off some beautiful items. The pix in that cookbook are gorgeous. Enjoy your pickles tomorrow. That plum jam sounds good too. I put up plums this year, but never thought of making plum jam. Sounds yummy!

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

I love it! The dish is unique and beautiful. Great eye Brenda!

• Lars
    17 years ago

I love the plate, and I must say the cookbook does an interesting disection of Texas. I will be interested in seeing what recipes are associated with the different areas. I'm most familiar with the central region and the Gulf Coast.

I'm you'll find a good use for the plate, in addition to its being decorative.

I would like to try the "Fire and Ice Cranberries" myself. I don't think cranberries grow in Texas, and so those would have to have been imported.

Lars

• goldgirl
    17 years ago

I got to send to Brenda last swap and learned just what a terrific lady she is - not surprised at all that she did such a fabulous job!

• KatieC
    17 years ago

The dish is beautiful, looks like a color that will work in with anything. I love the shape. And the cookbook looks like a good read. I've heard those pickle chips are way good...nice assortment, Brenda.

• lorijean44
    17 years ago

What a pretty package...even wrapped! The dish is so pretty. I really need to check out the cookbook. Richardson, TX is just north of where I live! Great job, Brenda!

Lori

• trixietx
    17 years ago

What a nice package, Brenda. The dish is so pretty, is it a triangle shape?

Your pickles look so good and plum jelly is one of our favorites.

I will have to look for that recipe book, Fire and Ice Cranberries sounds like a good Thanksgiving appetizer.

Enjoy, Deanna.

• deanna1949
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm posting the Fire and Ice Cranberries recipe on the Discussions page. Lars, it actually uses canned whole-berry cranberry sauce, so they can "imported" anywhere!! I'm not sure where cranberries grow. LOL I don't believe that these are necessarily regional recipes. Just good ones.

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

Ooooh, everything is soooo pretty.

Brenda, you picked the perfect goodies for Deanna. (I love that watery blue color, too. I have never been able to get it right!).

I just love everything and what a beautiful presentation.

• lowspark
    17 years ago

I'm telling you, those swap boxes from Texas, wowee!!

That's a great looking cookbook!! Showing off our beautiful wildflowers. And that glass bowl is really gorgeous! Great package!!

• lsr2002
    17 years ago

Yes, the wildflowers in Texas are spectacular and those are lovely photos of them in your book. LOL May, I love your pride in your state - and it's justified!

Great choices Brenda, I love the plate too and I'd like everything in that tasty trio of jars.

Lee

• stacy3
    17 years ago

wow, that dish is gorgeous.

What wonderful choices you made, Brenda - the pickles look great!

• annie1992
    17 years ago

RobinKate, I absolutely agree, the best use for those sweet pickles of Linda Lou's is sliced on a fish sandwich. Yum. I made a couple of batches of them this year, I love them. Lucky Deanna.

The blue plate is perfectly lovely, I like that seafoam blue color really well. I supppose you COULD put the pickles in there, but I wouldn't. I'd just eat 'em out of the jar and save the pretty dish for something else. LOl

Annie

• deanna1949
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, yeah, Annie. I have been eating those pickle chunks right out of the jar. They're delish!

Question to those of you who make these (and other pickles): Do you grow your own cucumbers or purchase them?

• brenda55
    17 years ago

Deanna, I am glad you liked the pickles. Annie is who I got the recipe from and Linda Lou is over on the Harvest Forum mostly (I think!).

I bought the cucumbers I used. There is a small farm not too far from here, where I put my request in that I get them the day of picking and they kindly agreed.

• weed30 St. Louis
    17 years ago

Ok, I was interested in the pickles, then saw the yummy cookbook, but, that dish! Really, really beautiful. Simple and serene.

Great job, Brenda!

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

Oh I love regional cookbooks-- & that one looks like a beauty-- as is that dish-- very unique in shape & color !

Enjoy those homecanned goodies Deanna--
    Nice selection Brenda .

• andi_2006
    17 years ago

Oh Brenda, what a nice package! Deanna, I'm another huge fan of Linda Lou's pickles! The cookbook - love the bluebonnets on the cover and there are certain to be great recipes inside. The dish is beautiful - the "icing on the cake"!

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

Aother great package here. I love pickles and I'm sure these are some good ones if it's Linda's recipe. I've seen those flowers on the cover of the cookbook while traveling through Texas....they are everywhere for miles on the interstate highways. Great swap box Brenda, I know Deanna will enjoy all of it.

David

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm