SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
granjan_gw

Bizzo's box picks up a surcie in Soquel!

granjan
17 years ago

So Ann e-mailed me a few days ago that she had made an error! Our Ann! She had given Bizzo the address of Janet in Soquel, it's down by Santa Cruz, instead of mine. The other Janet hasn't been current with the forum but she knew what to do once she opened the box and recognized a swap ; she e-mailed Ann and got my address. And she says she didn't taste anything but I don't know how she could resist. Instead she slipped something local into the box before sending it on to me. Once a CF member always a CFer.

So here's the goods from Elizabeth in CT. The delay was well worth waiting for. I love everything!

Here's the first peek I got.

I took out the items and went for the container that looked and smelled good; of course.

The savory Cornmeal Green Chilie Biscotti are wonderful. They also have a local cheese, Brigid's Abbey Cheese from Cato Corner Farm. They taste as good as they sound. Rich, crumbly and nicely nippy from the chilies.

I couldn't figure out what was up with the bottle of Apricot Pepper Syrup from Hollister CA though. (I'd forgotten about the detour.)

So I opened up the square package wrapped in orange. Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti with New England dried cranberries of course! I'd just gotten myself a fresh cup of coffee and these were SO GOOD with it. Stopped eating savory biscotti and started on the cranberry. Elizabeth must be like me, a non sewer/crafter who loves to bake. You say homemade and I'm there with cookies! These are great additions to my recipe file.

Next I opened the cookbook, because I've been dying to see what I'd get. (I love and own hundreds.)

I love Lora Brody's writing. She writes for all the cooking mags and I have her Growing Up on the Chocolate Diet. And I love her even more now. In her photo on the flyleaf she's wearing her Red Sox cap and there's a great pic of Fenway in the intro! For you non-baseball fans there are other wonderful pix of New England.

And really great recipes arranged by states. MA CT RI NH VT and ME. Here's Nutmeg Cookies with Hot Spiced Maple-Grand Marnier Tea. I don't like tea but I think I'll have to try both of these soon!

And thanks, Ann, for getting me to try taking a photo of a photo. It works great! Who knew?

And last we have a bottle of CT wine! I'm going to tell you that as a lover of CA wines I'm not a beliver, yet, that vineyards belong in New England. But it's in the frig and I'll try it tonight. Bizzo says it's not too oakey, which I dislike.

Here's the whole thing including a copy of Eating Well for the low fat foods I try to make most of the time. (And the marinade from the other Janet!) What a great package, it even had it's own adventure!

Comments (31)

• granjan
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The whole thing for real!

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

Janet, I'm so glad you got it!! And it's nice to know the detour paid off as well!! Thanks so much to the other Janet for recognizing it for what it was!

I'm so glad you like the biscotti! It's the first time I've ever tried to make them, but I tried to think of something that might ship well...

I don't think the wine will replace your local wines for your regular indulgence, but I do hope you find it palatable. Hopefully it wasn't exposed to too many temperature changes on its trip. Our little sub-climate here on the coast is home to several vineyards... and they are fun! the day we were at Priam Vineyards was harvest, and the crew was taking a break for pizza lunch while we were tasting the wines.

I hope the cookbook is not one you already have. I was challenged knowing that you have such an extensive collection. Thanks for taking such great pics! (and thanks Thai Chi, for passing along the package!!)

Elizabeth / Bizzo

• Related Discussions

WANTED: My apologies to my swap buddy!

Q

Comments (9)
    When I tried to track my package the recorded voice told me the package HAD ARRIVED at MY HOUSE the day they picked it up! (UPS.com said the same thing) When I finally got a live person they told me the number was recycled; i.e. used again for it's journey to the East Coast but the technology hadn't recognized the fact. Said it was set to arrive Thursday and it did. But for awhile I was afraid it was coming back!
    ...See More

Fall Swap Announcement.............

Q

Comments (142)
    Is it okay to have a company send a package instead of us wrapping and sending it? Something I'm thinking of sending could present problems if I tried to ship it (I don't want to go into detail because I don't want to give too much away) but the company that sells it does mail order. I know it would be more impersonal, and that bothers me, but I don't think I know how to ship this item. Sally
    ...See More

WANTED: My box is here! Thank you Pam!

Q

Comments (17)
    Those spoons will remind you of Pam everytime you use them. Awwwwww. Love the apron, hope its a recruiting agent for the CF, we need more MLC virgins! And I LOVE the casserole, perfect and clever! (note to Pam...hey nothing stopping you from sending something special later as a surcie....ask me how I know...heh heh...) I spent ten minutes going through ads for stores I'll never visit looking for bargains? :) Be careful.... you know how CFers manage to get around..
    ...See More

I'll be playing/sitting by the fire...Thanks AM!!

Q

Comments (18)
    Yep - I absolutely LOVE the theme of your swap goodies David!! AM, that was pure genius! Hot chocolate with marshmallows is pretty high on the cheering up scale, I hope it worked really well for you:-) Good, sturdy wooden spoons are hard to come by and that one looks like it's a winner. And you were a good cook even before you received the CIA mugs, but now they will make you look like a Food Network chef! Enjoy it all David, and let us know what you REALLY end up doing with the battery operated marshmallow toaster!!! DONNA
    ...See More
  • ann_t
    17 years ago

Janet, I was just waiting for you to post before confessing to my "screw up".

Elizabeth knew that she was sending to Granjan, but I gave her the wrong California Janet's address. Thankfully it was Thai Chi (Janet) that received the swap box and she immediately emailed me to let me know. And was kind enough to forward the box on to the right "Janet".

What a wonderful swap box and well worth the extra wait. I'm not a big fan of most biscotti, but I know I would love the Cornmeal Green Chili Biscotti. I hope Elizabeth will post the recipe.

Elizabeth you put together a wonderful swap box for Janet and I apologize again for my mistake.

Ann

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Everything looks so good! The cookbook would be fun for the recipes and for the pictures of New England. Having never lived there, but visited twice, and having a dd going to school in Boston, that cookbook and pictures would be extra funl The Biscotti sound srumptious, and I bet the wine will be quite tasty. How nice of Janet to send the package on with an added bonus.

Sally

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

That is a festive and beautiful package, made even more special by the "diversion" addition.

How sweet of all involved.

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

What a wonderful taste of New England...and California! The cookbook looks great. Good job, Bizzo. That tea does sound wonderful. Enjoy, Granjan...and nice save "other" Janet!

• compumom
    17 years ago

All of the contents look great! How fun that you received a bonus gift too! I MUST have the recipe for the nutmeg cookies and the Grand Marnier Tea....PLEASE!
    Good job Bizzo, it sounds like granjan is certainly going to enjoy it all!

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

A detour and a little something else added to the package. Another swap first! Very nice box Bizzo! I can tell from granjan's post that she is a happy camper. I'm really liking that cookbook too!

David

• annie1992
    17 years ago

A swap package that took the scenic route, LOL.

Cornmeal biscotti sounds interesting although I think I'd have gone for the cranberry ones first, and the book looks beautiful.

I just love a happy ending. (grin)

Annie

• dlundin
    17 years ago

That's very funny. But all's well that ends well as you seem to have gotten a great package, Janet. The cornmeal green chile biscotti sound divine.

My luggage likes to travel by itself, too, so I can understand the package wanting a side trip. See a little more of the country....

• lsr2002
    17 years ago

I know I'd love the biscotti and that tea sounds good to me. How cool to get the syrup surcie. I'm looking forward to seeing the nutmeg cookie recipe - maybe I'd even bake some.

LOL Diana, I've had luggage go on it's own adventure too.

Have fun Janet.

Lee

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

Everything sounds so delicious. That cookbook sounds wonderful, too! Enjoy Granjan!!

Thai Chi Janet...lots of praise to you, too! How thoughtful of you to slip something in the package, too! Lucky Granjan for your thoughtfulness!

Great package Bizzo!

• jazzed
    17 years ago

How exciting to come home from a trip and find a big box with my name handwritten on it.!!!..I was so curious as to what it could be...so I dove in. I made the mistake of reading the letter first ;) and discovered that ooops it was a wayward swap box. I knew I couldn't be trusted after that - cornmeal chili and cranberry biscotti!!!! Yummmm ...Way too tempting. ..I mean as a former CFer with no more dietary restrictions Yikes. Isn't it sort of a requirement to make sure the biscotti was still fresh?? a courtesy really...I mean how long had it been on my doorstep?? but alas I got control of myself and emailed ann instead.

What a nice collection of goodies. I had to check and make sure it arrived safe and loved at its rightful owner.
    Hi to all and Happy cookin'

Janet ( used to be thai_chi)

• KatieC
    17 years ago

Roving swap boxes...hmmmm, a new twist, lol. Nice job, Bizzo...will you share the Cornmeal Green Chilie Biscotti recipe? Sounds wonderful.

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

Well I'll be. That was just the nicest thing for the other janet to forward it on, AND add an item of her own. Tells you a lot about the people here, for sure. It sounds like a great package to me, also. Enjoy, Janet. Nice job, Bizzo.

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

The Cornmeal Green Chilie Biscotti looks just wonderful! What a fun swap box. Enjoy!

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

That is a great story. A box that legally went over the limit. Jazzed(janet) you are really a wonderful person for not sampling and just sending it on its way with an additional gift inside.

I would love the biscotti recipes. They both sound wonderful. Great package, i love the idea of homemade being baked goods. Who wouldn't love cookies! I thought of sending bread to go with the jam.

-Robin

• Lars
    17 years ago

I wouldn't mind a side trip to Soquel myself! It's a very beautiful location.

I love biscotti too - I was unaware of the savory variety, but it sounds delicious. I'll be watching for that recipe.

The cookbook looks interesting too, but I'm a non-baseball fan, but her writing is what would be important.

How was the wine?

Lars

• ziporion
    17 years ago

Excellent package! Those biscotti look to die for! I'd also be happy to see a recipe for the savoury one.

Catherine

• granjan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am really bad at typing recipes!But I will do my best to get the ginger cookies and tea typed up, as well as the requests for the cookies I sent to AnnT. But it will take a while. I'm 14 days without a cigarette and my tolerance for things I don't do well is pretty low!

Here's the tea recipe and a link to the savory biscotti. (I'd up the amount of black pepper and add a dash of cayenne.)

Lora Brody's Hot Spiced Maple-Grand Mariner Tea

12 cups (3 quarts) water
    6 Constant Comment, or other orange spice, teabags
    1 cinnamon stick
    8 whole cloves, tied in cheesecloth
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1/2 cup Grand Marnier
    1/2 cup maple syrup

Boil water in large non-reactive pot. Turn off heat and add tea bags, cinnamon, cloves and lemon juice. Steep for 15 minutes, longer for stronger tea. Use slotted spoon to remove tea bags and spices. Add Grand Marnier and maple syrup. Taste and add more of each or either. Serve in warmed mugs or glasses.

Serves 8 - 10

And here's my Grandmother's carrot cookies that i sent Ann. I have it on my computer, but I like recipes typed with ingredients in 2 columns. And this site doesn't allow that! I comes out fine until you post. Sigh. You can probably figure it out!

Grandma Hinzes Orange Carrot Cookies

1 cup soft butter 2 cups flour
    ¾ cup sugar 2 tsp. baking pwd
    2 eggs ½ tsp. salt
    4 oz. jar baby carrots* ¾ cup coconut

Cream butter & sugar, add eggs and carrots. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in coconut. Drop on greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes. Ice when cool.
    * Can use baby sweet potatoes or ½ cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes.

Orange Icing

1/3 cup butter 3 Tablespoons orange juice
    3 cup powdered sugar 11/2 T. grated orange rind

• traceys
    17 years ago

What a great story of the wandering swap box. Every swap needs some excitement you know.

Beautiful package you put together Bizzo. A little taste of New England. The biscotti does look delicious. I've never seen savory either.

Enjoy your goodies Janet and thanks for posting your cookie recipe.

Tracey

• debbie814
    17 years ago

A swap box that gave pleasure to both Janets -- granjan and thai_chi. How neat is that! Thanks for posting the recipes too. Enjoy.

• lori316
    17 years ago

This is cool. I think we're on to something. Maybe next swap should be a roving box...somebody starts it, maybe puts in two things and sends it to the next person. That person chooses one and replaces it and sends it along to the next...hmmmm....

Anyway, Ann, that's definitely not a screw up. I think it worked out very well.

I'm a big fan of biscotti and almost sent some in my package. These look good. I know you'll enjoy that cookbook, and hopefully you've already enjoyed the wine.

Jazzed, that was super sweet of you to add something and send it along.

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

This is a great story and a CF swap first! I too think this speaks volumes for the people that participate on this forum.

Granjan (Janet), Thanks for typing those recipes and enjoy your box!

Nice job, Bizzo!

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

What a great package, really unique stuff! I too would like to see the savoury biscotti recipe.

A very neat story for a neat package, good job Bizzo!

Enjoy it Janet

janet

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

Beautiful package, and Janet definitely did show restraint by forwarding it -- I'm not sure it would have enjoyed the same fate if it had accidentally shown up on my porch ...

• lowspark
    17 years ago

Great swap story! What fun. And of course the package is wonderful! And I love Lori's idea of a roving swap package. That could be a blast! The biscotti recipe sounds great! I will definitely make that.

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

Well this has to be the swap story of all time! How wonderful that Janet , other Janet, added a little something to the box.

Great job Bizzo, Ann what a great screw up it adds to the lore, Janet enjoy, other Janet...class act!

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Too funny. When I read the story of the misguided swap box I immediately had the same thought as Lori!

What a great story of a great box for a great lady from a couple more great ladies! LOL

Linda

• andi_2006
    17 years ago

What a great story!! How thoughtful of Jazzed to add a gift to the package. Wonderful package, Bizzo! Enjoy, Janet!

• trixietx
    17 years ago

Elizabeth you put together a super package for Janet,
    it just took the scenic route.

The biscotti and syrup sound so good and how thoughtful of the (other) Janet to add to the box and not try anything. What a wonderful story.

Ann, I don't know how you do it, if I did what you do there would be lots of roving boxes..