SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsr2002

I cant believe its ELLEN

lsr2002
17 years ago

(Compumom) who is my swap partner. OMG we almost had the, first ever, double swap, in person delivery. When my biz partner and I were in LA last month we had dinner with a group of CFers that was to include Ellen but at the last minute she was unable to come. I was really looking forward to meeting her but never thought she might be my swap partner. Of course my thoughts then were on delivering my things to Gina at the dinner.

Last night after dinner I did a final check of the front deck, after letting the plumber, and the roto-rooter guy in and out all morning and early afternoon when the deck was empty, I found two boxes on the deck. My mouth fell open when I saw the return address.

Here are the wrapped contents of the boxes.

And the unwrapped gifts.

There is also a lovely letter from Ellen describing her selections and easing my mind about the fact that the gifts initially seemed to indicate that she was numerically challenged when counting to three.

First there is a wonderful Greek cookbook that is just the sort of book I love contemporary recipes that capture the essence of the tradition and dont take days to prepare. Ive already spent about two hours looking at the book and deciding what to try first. I dont have a Greek cookbook so this is doubly perfect. Watch for my posts and pictures on the swap cookbook thread.

Then the handmade jelly and chutney are a perfect pair for me. I love hot and sweet together and have made the time honored hot pepper jelly in the past, but I have never had pepper jelly with Habaneros. And yes it is Annies Habanero Gold recipe. The second jar from Ellen is Persimmon Chutney, canned by Jessica. I remember reading about that earlier and thinking how wonderful it would be. Thank you Jessy for helping Ellen out here!

{{gwi:1467234}}

The wine is from Chateau St. Jean in the Sonoma valley a lovely Pinot Noir. Ive had several wines from that vineyard in the past and they are very, very good. Max and I will both consider that a treat. Lucky Ellen was at the vineyard in August.

Then there is an amazing bottle of Amantillado (Sherry) Vinegar from Spain that has been aged 58 years. Wow, I will need a very special way to try this. This was tucked into the box by Jessy and Gina. Thank you both so much for this.

And last a bottle of Miso Caesar that is a fave of Ellens and a package of note cards and a brochure from a Japanese garden in the San Fernando valley. I havent even heard of this six and half acre garden but it will be on my list of neat things to visit on a trip to LA next year. These two dont count as part of the swap because Ellen had intended to bring them as a surcie to our dinner in LA.

Jessy and Gina, thank you so much for the vinegar it is really special. And thank you again Jessy for helping Ellen out with the Persimmon chutney. Im very thankful for Canny Camp!

Ellen , I love it all and Max and I both will enjoy the wine and the gourmet treats. The only thing that would have made this more perfect would have been to meet for dinner; Im just so sorry that couldnt happen well fix that next year.

Lee

Comments (27)

• chancesmom
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Meeting up would have been sooooo cool! That box has some very delish sounding products! Interesting counting and rationale!!!

Lee, enjoy your haul!

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

What a great swap package. I anxiously await your Greek creations Lee, you always have such a flair with you meals.

How much fun that Gina and Jessy tucked in a little something and of course the sourcies were yours all along!

Ellen that is a great parcel and one I know Lee will appreciate very much.

• Related Discussions

It's raining!!! I can't believe it!

Q

Comments (12)
    It's raining today in downtown Atlanta. Just a nice little rain. My cat has been nutty these last 3 weeks. Literally INSANE and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Today she happily went out and played in the garden in the pouring rain. She was so HAPPY! All the creatures seemed to notice we needed some! GGG
    ...See More

I can't believe I've done it!!!

Q

Comments (35)
    Socks, I kinda had no choice. Feb. 10th I had a bad heart attack. The Dr. told my family 4 out of 5 people that have one that bad, don't survive. I had 100% blockage in one artery, and 90% in the other. Wake up call. I was in the hostital a week, ICU for 4 days. I had no choice to stop. I was scared to go home cause I was afraid I'd start again. But I guess after a week in hosp. the REALLY BAD urge was gone. Now, 4 months later, I still get a craving, but it passes. I just tell myself, I've gone this long, I can do this.
    ...See More

I can't believe it.

Q

Comments (2)
    You did not get erased. You need to refresh the page to see a new post in some systems,
    ...See More

It's raining in Southern California, I can't believe it!

Q

Comments (18)
    So happy for the gardeners who are getting rain. I heard on the news the other day that we are not getting either El Nino or La Nina this year as previously thought. After checking the temperature in the Pacific Ocean, the weather forecasters (I want to call them the weathermongers, with some affection) have declared it will be La Nada, meaning nothing, no ocean effect. I am really not making this up.
    ...See More
  • Bizzo
    17 years ago

The Greek cookbook looks beautiful, and fun, too!! What a great swap package!! and a wonderful surcie to boot!

• lowspark
    17 years ago

Wow, this sounds like a devine package! The Greek cookbook sounds intriguing, looking forward to you posting a recipe from it!

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

Modern Greek?! I'll bet that's a great cookbook! I love a good Pinot Noir! I'd love to try that Miso Caesar! Great secret goodies, too! Wow! Let us know how that vinegar is, also! Enjoy!

Great job Ellen!

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

That is a heavenly swap box! Wow! You are very lucky! I know that Ellen does nice swaps, cause she was my partner last time, and I loved everything she sent me. Enjoy your goodies!

• Lars
    17 years ago

I wonder where she found the Miso Caesar - that shoulds like something I would like also. I wonder if she got it at Ralphs. (I found Ellen's link to sources, all SoCal, however.) I'll look for it at Gelson's and Ralphs.

I also do not have a Greek cookbook and think it would be a welcome addition. Does it have a good moussaka recipe?

I think Sonoma has the best wineries - I prefer it over Napa. Should be great!

Lars

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Wow, that is one "worldly" package! And how cool to have Jessy and Gina's help, it'a almost like you had 3 swap partners!

Linda

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

Lee, it really is too bad Ellen couldn't make it to dinner - a double swap meeting would have been so cool. But Ellen had more pressing things on her hands as you know, so Jessica (and me a little) helped her out. Hope you enjoy all the California goodies!

• compumom
    17 years ago

Phew! I'm glad the package made it in one piece and so quickly!
    I'm also happy that you're pleased with all the contents!
    The Miso Caesar dressing is one of our favorites. It's the regular dressing in the fridge after trying it at a friend's home and loving it. Lars, I buy it at Gelson's, but I've seen it at Albertsons and Bristol Farms too. This is a local cafe that began bottling and selling their dressings. I hate the typical low fat dressings, they just aren't worth eating,but this one is creamy and full of flavor too.

The cookbook looked good to me too. I probably will go back and pick-up one for me too. I was deciding between two Greek cookbooks but the recipes seemed relatively simple, I liked the format and the photos were excellent. I'll look forward to you sharing some of the recipes.

I was brokenhearted that I couldn't make our get together, but other issues intervened. Heck with all that had been going on, I didn't have it all together anyway,b ut it would have been so sweet to have a double swap face-2-face!
    Enjoy!

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

Everything looks beautiful..Is that cook book as large as it looks? Looks like coffee table art to me!

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Bwahahah. Thats all I have to say. Geez I've had my hands in more of the swap boxes this time around than ever!

Oh yeah Lee the vinegar came from that Spanish store by me - La Espanola. I bought it to give it to you at dinner when we met but I forgot it in the bag under my chair! I think some folks on Egullet used it, I found out by googling to see what it really was.

• jimtex
    17 years ago

Very nice Ellen. I'm really jealous of all you folks that can your own stuff. I bet Lee uses the heck out that cookbook. Greek is one of our favorite things, so tasty and for the most part easy to prepare. I don't know what to say about 58 yr old vinegar but it sounds good and it won't go bad in my lifetime!

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

What a nice package - even better when it's perfectly timed! The cookbook looks great. Enjoy!

• ann_t
    17 years ago

What a wonderful swap box. And how special that Gina and Jessica added a little extra something.

Greek is a favourite around here. Can't wait for you to share some of the recipes.

Ann

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Lee is one lucky lady to receive so many nice things. It all sounds good - I'm especially intrigued by that Miso-Caesar dressing. I don't use bottled dressing much, but that one, if I found it, would be one I'd try. I love Greek food, so that cookbook sounds like lots of fun. Good job, Ellen.

Sally

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

Very cool package Ellen-but so are you!

Lee, We have a large Greek community in my area. We really enjoy Greek food and I enjoy cooking Greek. The food festivals are so much fun.

Cathy

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

Ohhhhh Tasty , tasty box you packed Ellen .

Enjoy it all Lee.

• msrevise
    17 years ago

What a great collection of treats! Enjoy!

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Jimtex, I was thinking the same thing: 58 year old vinegar? That's older than I am!

A very nice swap package, though, and I'm sure Lee is going to enjoy it all, maybe starting with the wine? (Hey, that would be my suggestion, LOL)

Annie

• lsr2002
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL Jim, I agree, the vinegar, kept carefully corked still has a lot of life in it.

I've spent more time looking at my book, haven't narrowed down a main course for a weekend dinner yet but it will start with a feta, red pepper, red chile spread.

Jessy, I know I'm not alone when I say thank you for your participation in so many swaps!

Ellen, you mentioned that you use the Habanero jelly in quesadillas, that sounds really good to me - do you pair it with a Mexican cheese?

I'm looking forward to trying the salad dressing tomorrow, just the idea of a miso Caesar is intriging.

Thank you again.

Lee

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

That cookbook sounds right up my alley. I look forward to seeing what you make, Lee. The wine sounds delightful and I am envious of the preserves.

Oooh...so what are you going to do with the vinegar? (no pressure lol!!!) Very thoughtful.

I hope you two get to meet another time!

• compumom
    17 years ago

Lee, I use whatever I have on hand, but it was particularly good with manchego cheese.

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

I love this package seeing that Greek is a favorite around here. I'll be waiting to hear about the vinager. Wow!

Ellen, What Cathy said ;-)

• colo_lady
    17 years ago

Wow! There isn't one thing in there that isn't fabulous. You are so lucky!

Now, if you're feeling that you may have a few too many gifts, I'd be willing to balance that out by taking the vinegar off your hands. Or the dressing. Or, well, anything at all. Just wanting to help out...

Marcia

• colo_lady
    17 years ago

I would LOVE that Persimmon Chutney! I have never HAD Persimmon Chutney! I think I NEED Persimmon Chutney! Puh-LEEZ?

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

Great package you put together for Lee Ellen! LOL @ Gina and Jessy sneaking something in there too. I see lots of good meals for Lee and Max coming out that cookbook. Enjoy it all Lee, that red pepper spread sounds great. Excellent swap box Ellen!

David