SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olyharris

WANTED: I'm in Heaven!!!

olyharris
17 years ago

When I signed up for this swap, my first, all I could think about was, will my partner like what I send!! I never focused on the fact that I too would be recieving a package. It's here, and I LOVE it!! Thanks so much Nancy (Wizardnm)!!!

{{gwi:1467207}}

She included three WONDERFUL(I can say that because I've already sampled them) jars of homemade goodies: Red Haven Peach Jam, Pear Preserves and Apricot Jam. These are all mine - nope, not going to share with the boys!

The cookbook - "Baking, From my home to yours" - by Dorie Greenspan (author of "Baking with Julia") is beautiful(love the pics). It really lives up to it's title,"from my home to yours". Written in such a way that you feel that a friend is sharing her favorite family secrets. Each recipe has a sidebar that includes tips on storing, serving, and options on how to change the recipe. (Can you tell I curled up in a comfortable chair with it last night and read from cover to cover) I've got lots of new recipes to try out and then share with you all!

Lastly, Nancy picked a FABULOUS hand carved wooden basket that she found at a local festival. My picture doesn't do it justice. The wood grain is just AMAZING!! A truly one of a kind.

{{gwi:1467208}}

I can't thank you enough Nancy - you've made my first swap a great experience!!!

Oly

Comments (48)

• ann_t
    17 years ago

OMG, I love that wooden basket. That is amazing. Lucky you Oly. And the rest of the package is pretty darn nice too. I've heard some really good things about that Cookbook.

Well done Nancy.

Ann

• catlover
    17 years ago

I love that bowl and the goodies are mouth watering. Oh . . . yes, can I have a piece of that cake. Great swap . . . Nancy. Adele

• Related Discussions

I'm in Heaven!!!!

Q

Comments (3)
    If you are trying to keep a handy stock of extra leaves as cover material for your compost pile, then just about any method works. Plastic bags, extra bin, wire enclosure, open pile, shredded or not. If being used as extra compost cover materials, you may wish to keep it dry so it doesn't freeze on you when you need to use it as cover. Whatever works best for your particular situation and space.
    ...See More

I'm new, I'm from Colombia and hippeastrum want to share with you

Q

Comments (25)
    Donna. thanks but there is a problem with its blooms, which is that the rod does not grow high enough. Dan I would love to have that kind, in fact most of the hippe I have are from seed, grow it is very nice from the beginning. I have several species but few pictures of flowers, here are some. crinum
    ...See More

I think I'm in hummer heaven!

Q

Comments (5)
    Verna, put that sewing machine on the patio! On second thought the capes still might not be fininshed if you can't take your eyes off the hummers long enough to sew. Sounds as if you are in hummer heaven for sure! Disclaimer:I do not agree with nor endorse the use of "Sponsored Links" possibly embedded in my posts by the owner of this or any other website.
    ...See More

I'm in the dreaded backsplash heaven!

Q

Comments (15)
    I survived...barely, and with obviously no decision made. We are selecting bathroom tiles & accent tiles. We just selected our bathroom ones. I don't know if its against the kitchen forum rules, but I'll share my selections here since I love this forum! ;) This place is huge. That was just 3 walls. There's an entire warehouse of accent tiles alone. @terri_pacnw Good Luck with your search! I was also going to do standard subways tiles, until started lurking here and realized the endless possibilities!! @lazygardens There is no budget per se. I'm looking for a WOW factor, however that could come from a very shiny beautiful glass, or just maybe a highlighted area below the hood (don't know what that is called, but I know you guys call it something). We have a bianco romano granite and espresso tiles. Very open! @bobbie2010 Good Luck, show us your progress! @may_flowers Always enjoy your input. Have you posted on your journey for tile somewhere else? Look forward to your selections. This particular place has new inventory almost every week! I week i could "check them out" like a library. I think Michelle (?) has that available to her. @amck That plaid was pretty stunning! Interesting to see how you would use it! :)
    ...See More
  • chase_gw
    17 years ago

Oh that is a gorgeous bowl/basket. I love the grain and the finish, that would look sooooooo good in my cottage. I'll trade you my first born for it!

As everyone knows that book would be lost on me but I'm not above being a taste tester!

Great jon Nancy!

Lucky Oly!

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

Oooohhhh, good job Nancy!

Oly, Enjoy your swap box! I hope this means you will participate in more swaps?

• compumom
    17 years ago

Super Swap package! I too think that bowl is amazing and the book and goodies look great!

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

Wow! That IS a "one of a kind" bowl! Beautiful! Taht cookbook sure has a delicious cover! Sounds like a good one! The jams and preserves are delicious, I'm sure! Lucky you! Enjoy!

Great job Nancy!!

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

WOW....that package got from MI to CA in record time! Chalk one up for the USPO, I just got it to the PO Thursday about 4:30 pm.

Oly, I had a little help from a mutual friend on the cookbook who told me you liked to bake. When I saw that one, it was all I could do to hold myself back from buying two copies. But I was strong, at least until I see it again, LOL. I wasn't quite as strong when it came to the wood basket, I loved them so much I bought several, One for you, one for me, and a couple of Christmas gifts. Mine is sitting in the middle of our table, filled with apples at the moment.

Enjoy the jams, I love making them and wanted you to have a taste of Michigan fruits.

Nancy

• lorijean44
    17 years ago

I love that basket, too. Nancy, I'm sure yours looks beautiful filled with apples! Oly, how are you going to display yours?

The jams all sound delicious (just reading your description puts me in the mood to make some!) I've seen that book in the stores before - lucky you, Oly!!

Another beautifully done swap -

Lori

• brenda55
    17 years ago

That basket is truly amazing. The homemade jams look yummy! Can't wait for you to try out some of the recipes from the cookbook and post.

Very creative, Nancy. Aren't these swaps the best, Oly?

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    17 years ago

Great cookbook! I love Dorie Greenspan, and her articles so I bought that cookbook! It's great. Some of her recipes are in the November issue of Bon Appetit! The bowl is interesting and beautiful What a fantatsic package, homemade treats, too! Excellent, Nancy! Enjoy it all, Oly, lucky you!

• KatieC
    17 years ago

Nancy that basket is incredible. And the jams look wonderful. I gained two virtual pounds looking at the cover of that cookbook. Can't wait for recipes, Oly.

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

Mmmmmmm Red Haven's are yummilishes! Lucky you on all those wonderful jams.

The cookbook looks like one I must have!

And that wooden basket..NOW that is a thing of gorgeousness!

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

I would take any of those any day. Nice job, Nancy. Wasn't your first swap cool, yasou?

• ziporion
    17 years ago

That wooden basket is amazing! I'm imagining it full of granny smiths. And lucky you, to get the jams, especially the red haven peach! Takes me back to my youth! That cookbook looks like it'd be an interesting read too!

Catherine

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Oly, how are you going to display yours?

In my house. I'm coming down right now to get it. DH will be VERY jealous when he sees it and hopefully will no longer roll his eyes when I saw 'swap time'!

Trying to see if one of those is RobinKate's jars....

Having been the consumer of some of Nancy's canned goods, I know what you've got there! Thank you Nancy for further helping suck in my friend to the Dark Side of the forum

FYI: Oly used to can. Maybe we can start her again, y'all think?

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

We all have similar tastes:) the basket is priceless:) the whole package is wonderful..But Red Riding Hood never had it so good..as that basket:)

• trixietx
    17 years ago

Oh, I love, love, love the basket. Nancy, do you know what kind of wood it is, whatever it is, it's beautiful.

Your jams look good and I've looked at that cookbook, next time I am going to buy it.

Did I say I love the basket.

Wonderful package, Nancy!

• dedtired
    17 years ago

How come I never see anything like that basket when I shop? I must be going to the wrong places. It's a winner. I think I will change my name from Pam to Jam because I love it so much and those look heavenly. I want a slice of the cake on the cover of that cook book.

Jam

• Lars
    17 years ago

We saw the same wooden bowls at our local Abbot Kinney Street Fair. I went back at the end of the fair to buy one, but they had sold out of inventory - what a great find!

Great selection of jams - I think I would really enjoy pear jam, even though I've never had it - but I do love pears.

The cookbook must be great - Baking with Julia is one of my all time favorite cookbooks, and I was unaware the Dorie Greenspan had written it. I look forward to seeing the recipes that you will share.

Lars

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

The preserves look wonderful.

A wooden basket! That is so darn cool. I just love it. I am also looking forward to recipes.
    Enjoy, Yasou! Nice picks, Nancy.

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

Whoa!! on the wooden basket! Amazing find Nancy. Quick Oly - hide your goodies before EJ comes over!

• traceys
    17 years ago

The basket is just the greatest. I want one too. I can't wait for recipes from the cookbook it looks wonderful. The jams are beautiful as well and I'll bet they taste as good as they look.

Enjoy Oley! Great job Nancy!

Tracey

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

Mighty fine choices Nancy! I saw crafted wooden bowls and baskets last week in NC, it was really really hard not to buy one. They were very beautiful. Lucky Oly.

• shaun
    17 years ago

Nancy that is the most beautiful wooden basket I've ever seen. I would have bought one for me too!

What a fab swap box!!

Oly I know you'll enjoy it all! You lucky duck!!

• lowspark
    17 years ago

That's a beautiful basket!! The baking book sounds wonderful!! Great swap box!!

• lori316
    17 years ago

That wooden basket is beyond beautiful, so unique. I'll be on the lookout for them in my area. Hopefully somebody talented lives in my area.

The book is now on my Christmas wish list. And I bet those jams are delicious, Oly.

Nancy, that is just a wonderful package. Absolutely wonderful. Enjoy it, oly.

• stacy3
    17 years ago

Oh Nancy - that basket - incredible.

Everything looks so wonderful - what a classy looking cookbook.

Oly, enjoy those jams - if there's any left!

Stacy

• lsr2002
    17 years ago

This is great introduction to forum swaps for you Oly. The basket is lovely, and I like the idea of all the tips for each recipe in your new book. I probably wouldn't want to share a lot of the jams either, but since there is only one other person in my household, I would.

Enjoy it all Oly. Nice, nice, nice choices Nancy.

Lee

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

Oly....I was like that my first swap too....still am a bit!That bowl is really one of a kind, what are you going to do with it? The book looks really gorgeous, good job Nancy.

janet

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Here's a funny, I was looking at the picture of the wonderful goodies, when my DH walked by. I called him over to look at that bowl, knowing he'd really appreciate what a fine piece of craftmanship it is, and what did he say? "Can you eat it?" From the angle he was looking at the computer screen, he thought someone had made that bowl out of bread dough or something, and baked it. When I laughed and said nooo, of course you can't eat it unless you're a beaver, he realised it was wooden. It's beautiful, and that cookbook looks good enough to eat, too! You definately need to enjoy those jams all for yourself.

Sally

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

What a wonderful swap!
    That basket is to die for!
    I could go for some jam right about now and I'll be looking forward to some recipes from that book as I love to bake too!
    Enjoy your goodies!
    Deanna

• olyharris
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy,
    My youngest son discovered the apricot jam in the refrig last night, (I tried to hide it behind last night's left overs) He sat down at the table with a spoon and had at it! You should have seen the sparkle in his eye as he took the first bite.. and the second, and third. Great stuff!!

Lori - right now I'm just trying to protect my basket from Jessica - she left a mencing message on my phone yesterday. "Lucky your not home right now, or I'd be right down to get that bowl!!"

Thanks again Nancy!!

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Wow, Nancy, that's a great basket, it's just beautiful. Having been the recipient of some of your jam, I can vouch for those too.

Yasou, you're gonna have to hide that jam.

Annie

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

oh, lucky you! The natural woodgrain on that basket is really beautiful!! Enjoy all your wonderful goodies!!

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

Oly, I can just picture your son eating jam straight from the jar...LOL. I'm glad he liked it.

You tell Jessica to keep her hands off that basket!
    BTW the wood is cedar which is why it has the nice grain. The guy that made it actually goes out and gets the cedar from the wet areas where it grows around her. There are lots a craftsmen who work with cedar around here, making the furniture that many like in their log homes.

Nancy

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Outstanding swap choices, Nancy! You done good!

Love the wood basket, so unique. I've been known to sample Trixie's and Robin's jam straight from the jar when I opened their packages. Cookbook sounds fantastic!

Lucky you, Oly!

• weed30 St. Louis
    17 years ago

MMMmmm... now that is one tasty package! I would be eating the jam straight from the jar too :)

Great cookbook - I volunteer to be your official taster. Seriously. And that basket is *very cool*. I can see bread or fruit in there already.

Nice job, Nancy.

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

OMG-- that basket is incredible ! I can see why you couldn't buy just one , Nancy .

Lucky you Oly-- Red Haven's have such a "Peachy" taste-- enjoy the rest too -- if you can get them away from the son !

Cookbook looks good enough to eat too .

• goldgirl
    17 years ago

Okay, here's another OMG - drooling over that basket!!!!!! Nancy, you did a fabulous job.

• olyharris
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy,
    Just wanted to show you what I woke up to this AM when I went to the refrig to sneak a spoonful of apricot jam.
    SOMEONE had beaten me to it!! What until my son gets home!!! (Next time I'll have to hide it better)

Oly

• olyharris
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Guess I should have posted the pic!!

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Oh, that basket is to die for! LOL that the jam is almost gone already!

Nancy does a great job of swapping! Hope your "first" was good for you Oly! It sure appears that it was!

Linda

• colo_lady
    17 years ago

Dang. The preserved goodies are as good as gone already. And Nancy and I had the same taste in cookbooks for our baker swap partners - shall I just say Great Minds Think Alike??

So the only thing left I can lay claim to is that GORGEOUS wooden basket. However, it sounds like I'll have to fight Jessy for it. Which I am fully prepared to do. I'm 6' tall - how tall is Jessy? I'm thinking leg wrestling, which I will win, or perhaps just a plain ol' knock down. It would be worth it for that basket!

Yeah, I can take 'er. Pretty sure.

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

I know the homemade jams will be great, I will be looking for a shared recipe from the cookbook...I love to bake. But.....that bowl/basket is sooooo cool!! I love it! I may be mistaken, but, I think I saw that bowl in one of Nancy's pics of her swap.....I think it had apples in it. Great swap box Nancy! I know for sure Oly will enjoy it all.

David

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

David, you don't miss a thing! LOL... The picture I took of the lobsters had my wood basket in it, filled with apples. I love to give things I would want myself and that just proves it. Mine is still setting on my table with apples in it. I actually never gave it a thought.

Nancy

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

What a great box of goodies. There is something about homemade apricot jam that makes it disappear fast. That basket is beautiful, it looks like the artist really allows each piece of wood follow its natural shape.

-Robin

• olyharris
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can you say OINK!! The Red Haven Peach Jam is history!

Soooooooo.. GOOD!!

Oly

• andi_2006
    17 years ago

That basket is beautiful!! You will LOVE the cookbook! Marcia (ColoLady) sent me the same book in this swap! I have made several items from the book and my "testers" gave many thumbs up on each item! (No photos posted yet -promise to post recipes/photos next week) Nancy, great selections! Oly, happy baking!!!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm