SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimtex_gw

I got a box!

jimtex
15 years ago

From David. Found it on the front porch last night. You guys know this is going to be good and you will not be disappointed. David got me some things to make my fishing expeditions better.

Rapala is the way to go. Stainless steel and will last forever. I have a larger Rapala knife that is at least 25 years old and has cleaned hundreds of fish. Someone will be using this one long after I'm gone. Next in line is something that will kick start my fish eating.

The Wild Fish Cookbook by Anna and David Kasabian. Beautifully illustrated and all the recipes are very makeable. "Bacon wrapped trout with crawfish stuffing" How can that not be good. David knows my tastes very well. I love this book. Ok, those are great things. Now check this out.

This platter is so fine words escape me. I almost cried when I saw it, thinking about the old swaps when I would open them up and hand the things to my wife. I can't tell you how much she would have loved this. It's just great. It was made in McAlester Oklahoma by and artist named Yusuf Etudaive. The picture doesn't do justice to the colors or size, it's huge.

Thank you David. It was great hearing from you again and I'll put everything to good use in short order.

James

Comments (30)

• mer4205
    15 years ago

Wow Jim, David really chose some appropriate items - looks like you'll have some great fish eating (as long as they are biting!)...and the platter is gorgeous! -maria

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh my - that platter is just beautiful. I hope we get to see it with some fabulous fish recipe...Great job as always David, and James, your description was so sweet. I remember the big part that your wife always played in the swaps...

Stacy

• Related Discussions

wanted: woo hoo! i got two boxes!!!

Q

Comments (27)
    I stole my friend's tortilla press (well, asked her to buy me one from the Latino places she haunts, LOL). Like granjan, she showed me that the tortillas were pressed in between plastic - she used cut-open ziploc bags. I make both flour and corn tortillas for the kids. I can't get the corn ones to 'poof', though! Cute, winsome package. Mine is ready to ship out, just gotta wrap, write, and send....
    ...See More

I got my box......!!!!!

Q

Comments (13)
    I would say that you nailed it Bizzo. I'm looking forward to Lisa's pictures. But in the meantime, I'm admiring that cookbook cover. Farmer and Feast - what a great title. If the cover is anything to go by, that must be one amazing cookbook. Ann
    ...See More

WANTED: I got the 'mystery' box!!!!!!!!

Q

Comments (38)
    Lori, the package did make me feel special :) I really love the glasses, used them last night. I know nothing about wine pairings but we had some Sauvignon Blanc, which I love, with a pasta dinner and toasted to Karen! Larry said who is Karen Riverrat? LOL! I totally love these glasses! GranJan, I didn't notice any fingerprints, they were very light and very nice in my hand. The wine stayed cold. Maybe get a couple to try. I'd recommend them in a second! Thanks for the link, Jessy! I already bookmarked a couple more pieces :) This will be great for entertaining! Look what you started Karen, LOL! I am one happy camper!
    ...See More

I got a box today!

Q

Comments (1)
    Yeah if it is from Prairie Moon it sneaks up. I got mine yesterday as well when it said it would get there Friday.
    ...See More
  • artsyshell
    15 years ago

Wow that was fast! Great swap package! That platter is beautiful. David you have great taste! James can't wait to see what you make from the cookbook. Enjoy your gifts!

Shelley

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

What a fabuolus parcel but I excpected nothing less from David. His parcels are always amazing, as are Jim's ! I've been lucky enough to have recieved from both these generous guys.

I love the platter and the book but you can keep the knife! LOL

Great job Big Guy , enjoy Jim!

Sharon....

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Oh.............How absolutely perfect!!!!

David, I know how much thought went into your gift to James. It couldn't be more perfect.

James, I also remember how much Jeanne loved and was a part of our swaps. I can't wait to see a fresh caught fish, cooked and served on that gorgeous platter.

Ann

• compumom
    15 years ago

Fabulous and right on target, I expected nothing less from David! Jim, you also send such thoughtful and great packages, so I see this as payback! I'm sure Jeanne is smiling down right now that you've been well cared for!

• jessyf
    15 years ago

ROFLMAO at the fishing stuff. Perfect! See how much we get to know each other on this forum?

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

That platter is amazing! I'm going to go look at that book online..I'm looking for a new cookbook for my brother.

Don't know anything about fish cleaning stuff..but those tools look handy!

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Jim, what a lovely and thoughtful swap! Obviously David did his research and spent some time thinking before shopping. It all suits you well. A cookbook from the top fishing lodges -- you know that has to be good (and very manly).

So, you have tools to fish, a cookbook to help with cooking the fish and a great platter to serve it. We do expect pictures, you know!

Nice going, David.

• sheshebop
    15 years ago

Jim,
    The platter is gorgeous, and my hubby would kill for the knife and the cookbook. David is indeed a fabulous swapper, as I well know from the great box he sent me some years ago.
    Enjoy your goodies, Jim.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Jim, that swap package fits you to a tee, doesn't it?

The fish tool and knife will definitely come in handy, and how great that you have some new recipes to make with all those fish you catch?

That platter is amazing! David, your choices were perfect!!

Linda

• Bizzo
    15 years ago

Great swap! How pwerfect for you Jim. And David, the platter is Gorgeous!!!

• Lars
    15 years ago

I think it's great that you guys got to swap together - probably the first time that a guy sent to another man, and I can see that David really understands your interests. I would have loved the knife as well, even though I don't catch my own fish any more, but I find find fish that need cleaning from the fish market. The cookbook looks great as well as the platter, although I wish you could have added something in the picture for scale. Big platters are always very useful, I think, and I imagine that one would have been difficult to ship.

Great job!

Lars

• chancesmom
    15 years ago

That looks like a great box! I love seeing all the different pottery.....that platter is really gorgeous.

Great job David.

Janet

• bri29
    15 years ago

Another great swap gift! David, you did very well!

Bri

• jimtex
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are a couple of better pictures. I always take swap pics here. I don't know why I did it different this time.

This made me pretty nervous. I had the platter taped to the fancy dish and cookbook thing and a big laundry basket filled with blankets under it.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Jim, I love the platter and what a great cookbook. I sincerely hope you catch fish worthy of the Rapala and get to clean 100's with it. I have one that has got to be 30 yrs old and sadly, it's not been used nearly enough.

David, you put a wonderful swap box together for Jim to enjoy for many, many years!

Nancy

• lackboys3
    15 years ago

What a wonderful and thoughtful swap box, to give and receive! David it's clear you spent a lot of time searching for just the right gifts for Jim. And Jim, you will enjoy everyone of those beautiful items. But that plate - it is magnificent! I could see myself using it constantly. It will look nice with all the delicious fish dishes you'll be serving:-) Enjoy it all, Jim!
    DONNA

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Perfect swap box from one lovely person to another. David you always know exactly what to send ;-)

Just ask me...I know!

Jim, I remember how your wife liked to participate in the swaps. Brings a smile to my face. Enjoy your awesome swap package!

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

David is so cool, there is no doubt about him being a great swap partner. In additional to the coolness factor, at the Pigeon Forge Pajama Party we taught David everything he knows about hunting down great pottery.

Jim, I think it is so touching that you are carrying on the tradition.

Love you guys!

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

James, you are very welcome and I'm glad see it the platter survived the ride down there. It took me a few days to figure things out....then the fishing thing hit me. I have a collection of things in the bottom of the lake so I thought the knife set might come in handy..lol. I'm sure Jeanne and a few others are smiling down on us during this swap. I had a great time putting this together for you!!

Lars, I think your right...another swap first.

Sharon, I guess you prefer the fishmonger...LOL!

David

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

Wow! Nicely done. Only a fisherman could have come up with such a perfect swap box.

Enjoy your wonderful catch.

AM

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

That would be "I'm glad to see".....me tpying on my first cup of coffee with two little ones wanting the puter and their nick site back on the screen...gotta love company and little kids..lolol.

David

• KatieC
    15 years ago

That platter is beautiful. You done good, David.

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

David, you are so cool to have little ones wanting the computer!

I love this swap!!!

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Thought I'd sneak in and see what people are giving and getting, even though I'm not participating this time.

What a beautiful and thoughtful selection of gifts, David! That platter is magnificent! We drive through McAlester on a fairly regular basis. Does this artist have a gallery that's open to the public? I'd love to stop in and see his work.

Jim, I wasn't around here and doing swaps when your wife was sharing in the fun. Your tributes to her really move me. I'm glad you got such a nice package.

Sally

• annie1992
    15 years ago

James, I think that's a perfect gift, but I expect you to post that recipe of the bacon wrapped trout. Soon, and with a picture of it on that platter.

That platter is just beautiful, David, as always you've done a great job of figuring out your swap partner.

And I agree on the Rapala, I bought Elery one. He didn't have one and the one I have was Dad's, I'm betting it's nearly as old as me and still going strong so that knife will be around for a long, long time.

Annie

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Beauty and practicality in one package. That David is a talented swapper - I should know.
    I love how the plate is glazed in brown like that - very unique. Enjoy those gifts Jim!

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Sally, I'm not sure if he does or not. I bought this at one of my favorite shops in Tulsa that features many items by different artist. I'll try and check with them for you and let you know via email.

David

• craftyrn
    15 years ago

David did well for you , Jim. Those seem to be perfect items for you-- lots of future use in that package-- love, love that platter .