SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Turnabout is very fair play!

dedtired
15 years ago

I got home early last night and checked the mail. There was a small package. Could it be? No, it was something my son had ordered. Oh darn, thought I, now I'll have to wait until after the holiday. Shoot.

I got in my car and headed over to my mom's for our Thanksgiving warm-up meal and to see my brother who came in from CA.

On the way out of my street I nearly collided head on with the UPS truck. I thought, could it be? Well, I can't go back and look now or mom will yell at me for being late.

Go to mom's. Come home. Open the front door. It WAS! My swap box!, and the return address was very familiar. It was from Chancesmom -- aka Janet. I had sent a box to her in a previous swap, so I knew her address.

Time to rip and tear. First I found this pretty silver box with a bow:

And inside was this amazing bracelet made of stone, ceramic and wood beads. It has a clever magnetic clasp that is simply perfect because I don't need help getting it on. Wait until you hear this: Janet made this little treasure herself! You can bet I will be sporting it at the holiday meal tonight.

Does this show it better? The colors are amazing, swirly blue stones and intricate design on the large ceramic beads:

Next was the textile item. It's a wonderful cookbook with the very apt title of "Cooking That Goes Straight to Your Hips" -- oops, that's wrong! It's called "Cooking from The Hip" and has chapters titled Fast, Easy, Fun, Phenomenal and Good to Know. The first three chapters are perfect for my kind of cooking and the fourth will make good reading. The last really does have helpful tips. Here 'tis:

Janet also sneaked it a freebie from the liquor store, so it was really packing material not an official item. I can't believe a store could give this away. It has some great recipes that are full of wine and liquor!

Next I pulled out the pottery item and I have to say that I've never seen anything quite like this. It is a stoneware dipping plate made by a local potter named Alan Moon. In the picture, look for the little "picks" that are part of the plate. They are to grate part of a clove of garlic. Then you add olive oil and balsamic, mix, and dip your nice crusty bread in it! I LOVE it and will use it often. I am just tickled with how it matches the colors of my kitchen backsplash.

And here they are, all together:

Janet also sent a lovely note on notepaper from a local artist. It shows a white birch on the front and I happen to have one in my yard. The words inside were lovelier by far and she was kind enough to recall some of the items I had sent to her. Thank you, Janet. You really put a smile on my face.

Pam

Comments (20)