SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Anyone started shopping....

ann_t
15 years ago

.....yet?

I bought my first item. One down and two to go.

And just to clarify........ I had a question relating to the categories.

The categories are pretty flexible.

Category 1 - Pottery/glass Anything related to dishes, casseroles, pots, pans, etc.. Ceramics, china/porcelain, stainless, etc...

Category 2 - paper/textiles You could even make wood work in this category. I've seen a number of items made from bamboo, including placemats and napkins.

Category 3 - One item Your Choice Just about anything will fit into this category

Just use the categories as a guideline. As long as you stick to three items, you can use your imagination as to how you make each time fit into the categories. Have fun.

Ann

Comments (51)

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Me, too. Ideas. I am having a hard time choosing just three.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

I've already bought one thing and have a pretty good idea of what the other two things will be.

Nancy

• Related Discussions

Does anyone else shop or window shop here???

Q

Comments (10)
    First let me mention they packed the plants in a way that I dont think they even knew they were moved. They never even dropped a leaf. I ordered the pronephrion simplex (variegated), and a tricyrtis niitaka. Defiently not there most expensive ones, but really nice. It was one of those things where I could have got one expensive one or two moderate priced ones. So I chose the latter. If my piggy bank gets big enough I will be back this spring for one of their philodendrons, or maybe one of their unique ficus trees. Maybe on the ficus. They get pricey! I only have one unsual ficus.My husband got it for me. I dont know where he got it. Its called ficus nightingale. They have many varietys there that I have never even seen before. Or heard of for that matter!
    ...See More

Start shopping for Spring!

Q

Comments (2)
    Weird, yesterday the site showed sale prices and free shipping for lots of stuff. Today, the prices are back to normal. Free shipping still shows, but bummer no sale prices. I've had the DutchGardens site do weird stuff like that before. I guess I should have jumped on the $2.99 flame grass (now $15!) right away!
    ...See More

When Do You Start Your Christmas Shopping?

Q

Comments (7)
    Those are adorable.. I start the week before Christmas of the previous year..ie..I started last year when they reduce the merchandise. Pottery Barn/WS has some great buys even before Cmas, so I buy and put away for the next year. Of course, I never remember what I bought, so it is always a surprise! I also shop on line..don't like crowds. If you do shop on line don't forget to link to Mrrebates.com..free, and you get extra discounts. I have been using it for years.
    ...See More

Started my Christmas Shopping

Q

Comments (12)
    I too start shopping shortly after Christmas for the next Christmas. I start my Christmas gift crafting in July, so I already have some things made for our family....door draftstoppers, washcloth love birds, desk calendars, purse sized tissue holders, and Santa Suit advent boxes for our daughter.....25 numbered boxes so she has a gift a day through the month.
    ...See More
  • ann_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pam, we all have that problem. LOL!

Ann

• bri29
    15 years ago

You gals are so on the ball! I've done some "research" on my swap partner, but I haven't bought anything. I have a few ideas, but nothing firmly chosen yet. Maybe I'm just not being creative enough yet! :)

Bri

• jimtex
    15 years ago

I worked on my boat and golfed and fished all weekend but I'll get on the ball in a few days. I don't have a clue so far, so I'm right on course.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I did a forum search on my partner over the weekend like I always do....I'm in the nervous, anxious...what the heck am I going to do mode..LOL! You would think I would be more calm after all of the past swaps....not!

I still love the challenge and the swaps...stress and all...lolololol!

David

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Same here, David. After over a half-dozen swaps you'd think this would be a piece of cake! But it is just as challenging as the very first time!

I have a few ideas, and am hoping to find time to make one of my items. We'll see.

Linda

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

David, I'm so with ya! I have everything printed out so I can very carefully purchase...Linda, I too agree with you, it's always a challenge no matter what name you end up with.

I really am excited with the person I ended up with. It's funny that you think you know everyone and then you end up with a person that you think you know and then you go blank... It's so much fun.

I'm working overtime to find out info.

Thank you Ann for all that you do.

• KatieC
    15 years ago

I have an idea of what I want, but won't be able to shop until I can deliver DH to the hospital to get his broken leg fixed. I'm sort of hoping they keep him for a few days.......hehehe.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

katie: just go ahead and break the other leg hee hee

thanks Ann, I was stuck on 'pottery' since I live in the land of strip malls, and glass was too narrow!

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Yup, and it's hard for us mega-metro residents to find one-of-a-kind items. I'm thinking of alternative ideas though, and I want to get this shopping done soon!

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Maybe people in the boonies should be paired with urbanites. Almost anything I can get in the kitchen stores or whatever can be had anywhere. Still, I know there are some unique places out there and I am hunting them down.

I'll be back in center city Philadelphia for yet another luncheon next week. There's a great store that sells work by local artists, so I may try there.

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Well, to keep it real, mass-produced items can be downright desirable too. So all y'all don't worry. (Says the pot to the kettle, LOL!!!)

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Pam, you are so right. I live in an area....let's call it Northern Michigan boonies...where I can find unique, artsy stuff but forget about mass produced. And I agree with Gina on some of that being very desirable too.

I just need to figure out my partners 'style'.

Nancy

• ann_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well.......I don't want to brag.........but..........

I bought two more items today so I'm finished. This is a first for me.

Ann

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Good Job Ann.

I've been driving by a pottery shop near me..but he's not been open lately..it's always hit and miss anyway..but I've been dying to stop in and take a peek......

• chancesmom
    15 years ago

I have two down today! (well, one I am making so it is almost ready!) I know what I want for the third, just have to get my rear in gear!

This is always fun.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Well you got me by a day or so Ann. I got my main item yesterday. I'm waiting on one item that I ordered on the net to arrive. This is a first for me too. Now to get it packed up and shipped....and to stop second guessing myself..lol!

Thanks for your help last week. : )

David

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

I haven't started yet but I've been thinking about it lots! Hope to nail it all this week.

Here we go....one for swap buddy, one for me, one for swap buddy...one for me! LOL

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

I might be able to get done by tomorrow, then ship on Wed. I don't want to be a laggard this time!

• craftyrn
    15 years ago

I found the most unique pottery item at the craft show I did last weekend-- turned out we have a local potter I never knew about-- she only usually goes to the BIG craft dos but her husband's having some health issues so is sticking close to home this holiday season-- perfect timing !

The second category is being "filled" by a friend & I'm at a lost for the third--I so wanted to do a themed threesome this time but it just ain't gonna work . Oh well , I'm having fun !!

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

I'm having fun too! Except I haven't purchased a thing!

I am on the right track...just need that extra post to the CF...

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh, the 21st is closer than I thought. I better get crackin'.

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Well, I think I have at least one item down. I am drawing a complete blank for the others, tho. I think I'll just have to start wandering around the shops until something juumps in my basket!

Linda

• jimtex
    15 years ago

I went to the mall today to the Williams Sonoma store. My wife took me over there a few years ago and they have some pretty neat stuff. Bad idea. There were a million people driving like Johnny Quest and occupying way too much space. I got the heebie jeebies and left after walking around for about 5 minutes. I'm going to Plan B this weekend.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

LOL Jim...Plan B...

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I have one down and two to go. Tomorrow I am going to be in downtown Philadelphia for a work-related luncheon (my fourth in a month -- enough with the round table for ten and rubber chicken meals). The hotel is right by the Reading Terminal Market, so I will definitely be cruising through there for swap items -- and goodies for me!

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

I'm at the CIA in Hyde Park this Saturday, and will be cruising their gift store for swap items!

AM

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Well, I found 3 items, but they look so, so, small...

I know, I know, no cheating!

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

One down, two to go!

• jessyf
    15 years ago

eeek two items mail ordered and praying they get here in time to turn around

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Gina, I am feeling the same way. I have two items, but they aren't very big. Maybe my theme will be Good Things Come In Small Packages??

Item #3 will have to be something big!

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Small is good.......

Done! I'm feeling a bit shaky on what I got but too me it just seemed right for my swap buddy...so it must be right?

Now on a mission for a box....and lots of bubble wrap!

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Whoo Hoo! 2 down 1 to go!

• bri29
    15 years ago

I think I'm done, but it's so hard to know what to get for someone I've never met!! I have a week to change my mind I guess! :)

Bri

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

I would have been done a week ago if I didn't keep second guessing myself. I plan on going with my instincts this weekend and finishing my shopping! I agree with everyone else... good things come in small packages! Size isn't important, it's the thought that counts the most!

Shelley

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Poke me with a fork -- I'm done! I went shopping after work and found what I think is a very good item. At least I hope so. Well, maybe I should have gotten the other one...

Anyway, I got home to find item #3 waiting on the doorstep since I had ordered it on the web.

So now onto packing and mailing and trying VERY hard not to cheat.

• Lars
    15 years ago

I still have two to go, but I plan to take care of that this week-end. I already have the major item. I should have checked my schedule before this swap because I just realized that I will be out of town from Monday November 24 through Tuesday December 2nd. Anything sent to me via mail will not be a problem because I will have the post office hold everything until I return. I'll have to have Ann tell my partner not to ship to me via UPS after Monday. If it's shipping via UPS on Monday, I'll get it on Saturday before I leave, but otherwise, it might get left on my doorstep for 10 days, and there's a slight chance it would rain. I wish my neighbors could receive for me, but they might be out of town as well.

Lars (not as organized as he should be!)

• arabellamiller
    15 years ago

Two down, one to go. Hmmmm.......

AM (who is trying hard not to keep item #2!)

• compumom
    15 years ago

Lars, since when does UPS deliver on Saturday? Unless it's as an express ship or a new policy, they're a M-F delivery.

• mer4205
    15 years ago

I'm done, I'm done, I'm DONE!!! Whopee!! Ok - I went to an art/crafts festival in Hartford and found the absolutely most appropriate item...made in Connecticut!!! The artist is thrilled that her work will be traveling far away! - So this week I'll wrap up and ship off...to my very special partner!
    Good luck to you all! -maria

• Lars
    15 years ago

Ellen, I wasn't paying attention to UPS delivery dates. Anyway, I sent Ann my work address so that they can ship there, and there will be no problem with me getting it, but that too of course is M-F only, since I don't work on Saturday.

I finished my shopping yesterday and then made the last item today. I accidentally ended up having a theme, even though that was not my intent at all. I hope it's appropriate - it made the selection a lot easier. I've been trying to stay out of stores, and I ended up spending more on myself than I did for the swap. I'll reveal details later...

Now I have to wrap it all up for shipping. I'm pretty sure I will have to ship UPS, since I will be shipping from work, and that's what they use for boxes over a certain weight.

Is anyone else nervous about all the glass and ceramic shipping?!?

Lars

• Bizzo
    15 years ago

I think I'm done. I think so. But... they do seem really small. Maybe I should do that, instead of this? no, I think I'm done...

OBTW - I, too, will be out of town 11/25 - 11/29. like Lars, we'll be stopping USPS, but won't be here to get other shipments, or to post...

• ann_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine is all boxed up and ready to go. Will be heading to the post office later this morning.

Ann

• ann_t
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine is on its way. Mailed in time to get it off the Island tonight and with any luck it will arrive early next week.

Ann

• jimtex
    15 years ago

I have one to go. That porcelain, glass thing is driving me crazy. I'll know it when I see it and I ain't seen it yet. Lars, I use lots of bubble wrap and cross my fingers. It's worked so far.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I can't believe the road blocks that I have run into with the things I want for my partner. e.g. "Item to be released Nov 30; pre-order now." , "on-back order", "this merchant takes 3 extra days to process orders".

Anyway, I'm done as of this afternoon.

• artsyshell
    15 years ago

All finished shopping. Now I just need to wrap and send.

Shelley

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Done! Whew!

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Lars and Jim..no because I took Ann's other que that it could be stainless or other baking/cooking things like that..but yes truely before I found "it"..I was thinking I've got to get glass to where? LOL