Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Are Nearly-New Cookbooks Okay?

Posted by goldgirl (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 1, 06 at 21:15

Last swap there was a question about vintage items, and I'd like to know if folks are okay with cookbooks from a used book store, assuming they're in excellent condition?

This would really expand the possibilities, since there are so many interesting out-of-print cookbooks. Also, it might allow someone to purchase a book that would otherwise be out of their comfort zone in terms of price.

What do you think?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Are Nearly-New Cookbooks Okay?

I, for one, am OK with that. In the last swap I participated in, I got 3 used cookbooks in great condition, one of which was "Baking with Julia".

o

Sue, I don't mind used cookbooks either. There is a wonderful used book store in Victoria that has the biggest selection of cookbooks I've seen. I've found some real gems there.

I hope my partner posts to this thread.

Ann

o

I have some great used and vintage cookbooks that I have found at area library book sales. Sometimes you can find a gem! I have a collecion of "Joy" that spans some years! -maria

o

I think used are fine - especially if it's something not otherwise available or is collectible - but anything used in good condition is fine. I'm glad you asked because I'd actually been doing some searching and come across a couple of interesting cookbooks that are only available used.

o

I for one am just assuming that used are okay as I have two cookbooks in my collection that I think would be great for my partner and both are out of print. Hmmm, I wonder if this means my cookbook collection is out of date or if that is just me. LOL

-Robin

o

I agree, perfectly wonderful idea!

o

btw, i do not mean I will be sending my cookbooks to my partner, I would buy a new/used copy.

Robin

o

Used works for me. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

o

I have no problem with used. In fact I have made a deal with myself that I will try very hard NOT to buy new cookbooks. I have so many that something has to be very special for me to need a new book. But there are ones I grab when I see them at my used stores.

I just scored a practically new copy of Alice Medrich's Cocolat for $7.95! This usually goes for over $100, although Amazon has a few copies now for about $60. Would someone be offended that a sharp-eyed shopper paid so little for a rare classic. I hope not! (And no I'm not sending my copy to my partner!)

o

I have been the happy receipient of several old jam and jelly booklents in past swaps. I think it is a great idea especially something out of print that is "just the right thing"
Linda

o

No problem here either.

o

Fine by me, too.

o

Perfectly fine with me.

o

I'm laughing at this thread. Buying stuff "used" is sooooo me! Eighty percent of our household is lovingly "pre-owned"!

As an aside, a couple years back...DH & I were just out prowling around one weekend and came upon quite accidently the absolute perfect end-of-season thank you gift for our dockmaster. We stumbled across a seller who needed cash and sold us a First Edition copy of 'Moby Dick' for $55. What a treasure...as I was gift-wrapping it..well, let's just say I felt like a two-year old that didn't want to share!

Tricia

o

Since I have so few cookbooks to begin with, any book would be great! :)

o

Fine with me! Through the years, I've purchased some real treasures at auctions and used bookstores.

o

Fine by me, I'd hope for some hand written notes in it too!

o

I'm definately all for used books, cookbooks included. I bought a new version of a cookbook for my daughter for Christmas, paid around $25.00 which I thought was a bargain since the 'new book' bookstore chain had it for $35. Then a couple of months later found it at a used bookstore for only $5.99. Now, this copy was water damaged, but every page was in good shape, just a bit warped. I snatched it up for myself. I wouldn't send a damaged copy of a book, but I wouldn't mind receiving a cosmetically challenged book if all the pages were there and readable. In fact, I checked a new cookbook out of the library recently, and a whole chunk of pages were missing. It didn't look like they were torn out, but more like they were never put in. So, even new books can be damaged. I love the whole concept of used anything.

Sally

o

I am fine with used, and like sahun says, your handwritten notes would be cool!

janet

o

Vintage anything (except underwear!) works for me!!!

I have found some great used cookbooks at garage sales and church sales. The ones I don't care for are the new books that make the "discount table" at big bookstores.....usually one recipe in the whole book that is worth anyhting. Content is the key!

o

Count me in too!

Catherine

o

Ok by me, too!

o

I agree completely. Used is good.

o

Fine with me too!

David

o

I'm good with that!

o

I'm okay with that, too!! I have several "gently" used cookbooks in my collection (I love e-Bay for that!!)

Lori

o

Some used books are actually more costly than when they were new (I've sold some collectible books on Amazon for above retail price - they were out of print), but some become bargains. Often you will get more for your money by buying used. Some used cookbooks are horribly out of date - I bought an Appetizer Cookbook from the 1970s for camp value, but the recipes were terrible. It only cost $3.50, however, and the pictures were interesting, if unappetizing.

You can also find used and new DVDs on eBay for a good price sometimes. Used is fine if it is still good and relevant.

Lars

o

Ok by me too!

o

ok by me also.

o

Oh pre-owned is fine -- we have 2 little bookstores in our area that I literally prowl thru once every couple weeks -- some fabulous finds have made great Birthday & Christmas gifts over the years-- and must admit not just a few have ended up on my cookbook shelves !

o

sorry my computer is acting up awfully and I am trying to scan and straighten it out - my time is short - I havenot read through the thread, but it sounds pretty cool to me! My house is old, my soul is old..I love vintage stuff and the history that goes with them

o

totally fine by me--i find some of my favorite stuff in used bookstores!

o

I Love used books! Better than new, especially if there are notes written on the pages, even though I wouldn't dare write in a book ;-)!

o

Would be fine with ne!

o

I don't write in books either! But I sure do stuff notes in the pages. And, being the cookbook lover that I am, used is fine with me.

o

Just fine with me. I love reading old canning books and the old Ball and Kerr canning books. I have come up with combinations that I haven't seen before.

Stacie

o

Used is ok with me, I'm a garage-sale-aholic so I have a lot of used items. Just bought TWO used cookbooks this weekend!! And now I'll have to decide whether to keep both or send one to my partner!!

o

Sure used are fine. The pages with the most cooking splatters are generally the best recipes!

o

yep, fine with me, too!

Linda

o

It's ok with me too.

Tracey

o

I said I liked vintage cookbooks and those appliance and products booklets from the 40s and 50s - so Yes! nearly-new, not-so-new and new-once-upon-a-time are fine with me.

Teresa

o

Oh, that would be neat! Most of my favorite cookbooks are oldies. But, I'm a tightwad and rarely buy new ones!!

o

I don't mind used, in fact some of my favourite cookbooks came to me second hand.

o

I MUST HAVE NEW!!

Just kidding. I just got a used copy of Roasting-A Simple Art by Barbara Kafka for $2.

o

Absolutely fine with me!!
(I'm always one of the last to post... I'll get the hang of this thing yet!!)

Oly

o

That is fine with me!

o

Of course!

o

I like not nearly new cookbooks too. Prior ownership can only add to the character of a cookbook! Adele

o

I like old cookbooks too.
I have one from a church group that has an advertisement for a funeral home in it...wonder what THAT means?!?!?
Deanna

o

I never met a cookbook I didn't like!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here