Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Something good out of our Nation's Capital!

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 19, 06 at 21:14

I received a note posted on my door, yesterday, telling me the post office has my package, so all day I've been waiting anxiously to get home, since DH was kind enough to run by the P.O. and pick it up. Lynn sent me some wonderful gifts, and a very thoughtful letter. Thank you, Lynn, for making my day. Unfortunately, I was so anxious to get home, I forgot my camera, so it will be tomorrow before I can take pictures. (I use it at work, and went off and left it.)

The first thing out of the box was a beautiful hammered aluminum plate with a gardening scene depicted on it. It shows a garden hat, tools, a nest, a basket of flowers and a watering can, all gathered together in a nice scene. It's sooo pretty I wish I could take a picture of it right now. Lynn managed to squeeze two themes into one, as this plate is homemade, but locally made too, and was her local gift. Her homemade item is an award winning Wasabi Ginger Finishing Sauce for roasting and grilling. I'm going to love that! I can't wait till this weekend when we can fire up the grill, or the oven, and roast some veggies. Mmmmm! Finally the cookbook she sent is "The complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook. I love Italian food, and I'm looking forward to learning all kinds of new pastas and beyond. Polenta? it's got it. I'll learn to make Risotto with recipies like Risotto With Fennel and Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms....I could go on. It has chapters on everything from Antipasto to Dessert, with main dishes, sides, and salads in between. I'm looking forward to using it cover to cover. I hope I'll have my head on better tomorrow and can take some pictures.

Again, thank you, Lynn, from the bottom of my heart!

Sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Something good out of our Nation's Capital!

Sally even without photos your description is wonderful and shows what a great package you got. I am looking forward to the photos of the plate.

-Robin

o

Sally - I'm so glad you enjoyed the items. I loved picking them and was so excited to find an item that combined cooking (plate) with a gardening theme. I also got myself the cookbook. We'll have to compare notes when we try it out. The carrot risotto looked good to me (esp. since I'm trying to please a 7 yo as well).

I did take some pictures and will attempt to post them.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And I love the title of this thread. For my first swap, it's a real thrill.

Lynn.

o

For your first swap, Lynn, you done good! Beautiful plate, fantastic cookbook, and interesting sauce. Well done!
Teresa

o

I second that!

I love the vegetarian Italian cookbook, I bet you'll find lots of great recipes in that.

That sauce looks like it'd be a great finisher for grilled fish! And I like the plate too!

Nice job Lynn... hope you enjoy Sally... I like the idea of you two finding recipes that you can compare and share.

Catherine

o

Sally, The plate is lovely and I would love the cookbook too. Oh, and I'll bet the finishing sauce will be delish!
Lynn, Great job, you did good!

o

Oh Sally-- you'll really enjoy those . I love that plate !
And sounds like there'll be lots of recipes to try -- & then post !

Good job Lynn-- & sounds like you've gotten the swap disease-- you know -- oneforpartner/oneformeitis !

Diane

o

That plate was handmade?!!! I can't believe it! It's gorgeous!
The cookbook and sauce will bring you loads of good eatin', I bet.
Way to go, Lynn!

o

Hey, beautiful swap items! Lynn, i'm in your general vicinity, and i'd love to know where you got that sauce?? I love that garden bowl, too. Great selections!

o

Okay, I'd like to order up one each of your items ;)

o

That plate is just beautiful and the sauce sounds really good, as does the cookbook!

I just keep scrolling up to look at that plate again, at least six or seven times, it really is so pretty.

o

Oh My! Some folks are so dang talented. The only thing I can make is a mess. Well, maybe not true, but close.

The plate is so unique and wonderful. The sauce will be spicy and delicious, I'm sure. And the book - well, let's just say IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE! Mine I tell you! What's going on here! Other people keep getting MY BOX!!

What is UP with this?? Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Oh wait - I'm last. I forgot.

o

I was looking at that cookbook in the bookstore yesterday. Lots and lots of moutwatering recipes. You lucky girl!

o

Lynn! That was terrific!!!

Sally, you are very lucky to have that awesome plate. I love that!

o

Beiang a gardener I am applauding your choice of local art:) How pretty is that?

You did a great job .

o

I'm also a gardener and that plate is beautiful! I'd love to see it on a black stand.

I've never had wasabi and so many here enjoy it plus that bottle is very inticing...I'm going to have to try it soon.

The cookbook is a winner. I'll be watching for your posts as you try the recipes.

Wonderful presents, Lynn.

Have fun, Sally!

Tricia

o

That plate is amazing! I've never seen an ethnic vegetarian cookbook...that's the one area I'm having trouble with. Off to another store today.

Great job Lynn, lucky Sally!

o

Lynn, thanks for posting the pictures. I wasn't sure how to photograph the plate so that the detail showed up. I don't know how you did, but you did well. DH was looking over my shoulder and wanted me to ask you all the techie questions about your camera and lighting and such.

And no, y'all can't have my stuff...it's mine, you hear me, all MINE!!! :-)

Sally

ps But I'll be glad to share recipies.

o

Ok, that plate is TOO cute! I love it! Also love the italian veg cookbook - wonderful! Sally, I'm sure you'll enjoy the sauce. What a great swap package! Lynn, ya done good!!

o

Oh Sally, that cookbook is right up my alley! Can't wait for you to try (and share) some of the recipes from it! Love that plate, I can't believe it is hand made! Interesting sauce, too! Great job, Lynn!

Linda

o

I am sooo loving that plate. It's very unique and original. What nice big cookbook. I love when they have pretty pictures of the prepared recipe.

My son would love that sauce. He loves hot food. Nice package!

Pam

o

What a great package! I love the Wasabi ginger finishing sauce. Mine's almost gone :)... The plate is so pretty in the picture, and the cookbook would be perfect for a vegetarian friend of mine. Let me know how you like it, I might order it for her!

o

That plate is amazing!

Great box..what a treat this is..
I better get finishing my hand/homemade...or my partner will be last!

o

Lynn, For your first swap you did a great job. I agree with everyone else, that plate is beautiful.

Enjoy Sally! I can't wait to see some recipes.

Tracey

o

OMG, I LOVE that platter, and the cookbook looks very interesting. Although I'm not a "vegetarian" I love nearly anything with a vegetable in it.

It's a great swap box, Sally, enjoy everything.

Annie

o

We need some postings on the recipes in that cookbook. I be they are great. With my couple of vegetarians in the family, it looks perfect for all eaters. Great plater and sause too. Great job Lynn. Adele

o

That plate is gorgeous! The entire package is really wonderful. Nice job, Lynn. Lucky you, Sally!

o

Colo_lady - you crack me up. I've really enjoyed your posts on various threads. Sorry this package wasn't for you. I'm sure you'll get yours - eventually.

MsRevise - I bought the sauce at the sugarloaf craft fair last weekend. It's made by Bittersweet Herb Farm (BHF). I don't think they are actually local, although they showed locally (and had wonderful taste tests - I must have tasted that particular sauce 4 times). I bought one for myself too (yes, I have that bug - one for you, one for me - one for you, two for me etc.). They are based out of Shelbourne Mass. They're number is 1-800-456-1599 or on the web - www.bittersweetherbfarm.com. They do ship. And they could probably tell you when they'll be at any local shows.

Sally - I have no techy wisdom to pass on. I have an Olympus camedia c-50 digital camera (it's 5 megapixels - and several years old). I took 5 pictures of the plate and that one came out the best. Strangely enough, none of the pictures I took of the sauce came out that crisply. The only things I know to do to take these pictures is to take them in a room with plenty of light from the windows - and don't use the flash. And the black background was just my husband's black suitcase that he hadn't put away since a business trip 2 weeks prior.

Lynn.

o

Great gifts, Lynn! The finishing sauce is very good! The plate is beautiful! Enjoy it all, Sally!

o

*thud*

o

I agree, the plate is amazing, who the heck is talented enough to make that by hand!! I love Italian cooking so please do share some recipes Sally and Lynn!

Great first swap Lynn,

Janet

o

Very cool plate. Cookbook looks great. Enjoy, Sally!

o

That plate is just breathtaking!!! I really love it. The sauce and cookbook are great too...but that PLATE!!

o

Great package. The cookbook looks great and the design on that tray is really detailed. Quite amazing.

o

I will definately be using that cookbook this weekend, and will report back, with recipes.

Jessyf, what does *thud* mean?

Sally

o

Wow, terrific selections! That plate is just wonderful. Good going, Lynn, and lucky you, Sally.

o

Very cool plate and I'm sitting here licking my lips thinking about that sauce. YUM! Great package Lynn! I'm sure Sally is a happy camper!

David

o

Beauuuuuuuuutiful!

o

I absoulutly love that finishing sauce. It's great on fish and shrimp! Yuuuummmm!

This is a great package!

o

Lynn, you sent an awesome package. Love the plate and cookbook. Sounds like the sauce is a hit, too! Sally, I'll look forward to learning about your cookbook.

o

Great variety. Bet there are some good recipes in that cookbook and the plate is so pretty. Sauce sounds good - would have loved it on my salmon last night. Enjoy it all, Sally and Lynn, you did good picking it all out.

o

I think that Jessy just passed out!

My first thought when I looked at the cover of the cookbook was "gimme-some!". My second one (after looking closely) was are all food photographers named Ann?

That looks like a great book. I'm usually uninspired in the veggie department (safe to say since Jessy's unconcious) so I definitely will be checking this one out!

The plate is wonderful! I never would have guessed the backdrop was a suitcase Lynn. The sauce sounds wonderful too. Great job on a wonderful package for Sally.

o

The plate is so wonderful that I forgot to comment when you first posted your swap package. I was too busy drooling over it! I sure you are really enjoying your super swap package.

o

Amazing things!!!!!! That plate is simply gorgeous - and I bet that cookbook has some beautiful photos - can't wait to see some of the recipes.

o

Wonderful choices, Lynn! That plate is incredible! Sally, please post some recipes from the cookbook - Italian vegetarian has GOT to be great!

o

Sweet package! You've got to post some recipes from that book. It sounds wonderful. Everything in that box is a winner. Nice going!

o

Great package; the plate is really stunning. I'm not much of a wasabi fan, but I'll bet you'll get great mileage out of that finishing sauce!

Can't wait to hear some of the recipes from the book -- Italians do veggies right.

o

I think the sauce would be great brushed on grilled or roasted squash, sweet potatoes and onions; it would also work perfectly into a stirfry of baby bok choy or broccoli. The plate is so unique and the cookbook looks fantastic. I can't wait to hear what you both try from it.

Lynn, it's a great package that Sally will enjoy for a long time.

Lee

o

That plate is stunning! I think I would hang it on the wall.

I also love the idea of the Italian vegetarian cookbook - very interesting choice.

The wasabi-ginger sauce sounds divine - I like anything with wasabi and/or ginger.

Lars

o

I've got to have some of that finishing sauce! I love wasabi! I love ginger! Wow! Sounds great! Cute plate. Love the cookbook, too! I love Italian cookbooks!

Great job Lynn!

o

Wasabi and ginger...yummm. And the plate is beautiful, as is the cookbook. Enjoy, Sally. Good job, Lynn-Swap-Virgin-No More!

o

Lee, those are good ideas for that sauce, and I just happen to have most of those items in my pantry or my garden. Guess what I'll be eating this weekend? :-)

Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here