SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

From Sea to Shining Sea - package from dishesdone!

Lars
17 years ago

My package arrived yesterday morning - it was inside the front door when I got up, and so I'm not exactly sure when it was delivered! Anyway, I was very surprised to find it, but I had to wait to open it until I finished my urgent chores. I thought I would be able to post yesterday, but I never got caught up enough! Anyway, I'm putting work aside for now, and I got the contents photographed yesterday so that I could post with pictures. I remember some suggetion that we should not post until we had the photos, and so I thought a one day delay would be best so that I could give the package the description that it deserves.

My package was from Carol (dishesdone) in Long Island, and she put together some {{gwi:1466266}}. First off, she sent me {{gwi:1466268}}, which includes a bottle of Pindar 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, Barrel Select, from North Folk of Long Island - this is the local item. I almost opened it last night to have with the lasagne we were having, but have decided to wait for a more memorable meal. I'll give a review of the taste, once I have tried it. The back label says that it is "a wonderfully bull bodies wine with comples flavors of Black Cherry and suble aromas of Tar, Leather, and Smoke." It sounds rather unusual, as I am unaccustomed to tar, leather, and smoke in wine! I would like to have it with a beef dish, but I will probably have it with pasta instead. The wine kit also includes a beautiful polished stainless steel stopper (love it!) and a polished stainless steel wine coaster! I didn't even know that existed, but it looks absolutely stunning with the bottle and stopper.

Next, for the handmade item, she included {{gwi:1466270}}, which is so cute that I think I will hang it and not use it, except in emergency. I do like to collect potholders, especially since they wear out. The potholder came in an authentic pizza take-out box, with a tag that labelled it "Veggie Gourmet, Whole", since it is topped with broccoli, tomatoes, olives, and mushrooms - one of my favorite combinations! Oddly enough, the label says "Austin, Texas" (where I just got back from!) and has an Austin phone number, but I've never seen it in Austin. It's hanging on my fridge right now. It will actually remind me of Austin as much as it does of Carol, which is a very nice touch.

The cookbook was the most wonderful surprise, {{gwi:1466272}} by Craig Claiborne - 800 pages, and thousands of recipes. This book is encyclopedic in scope, and I have already found many recipes that I want to try. I've also found many recipes that are similar to ones that I already make, and this is a good sign. I don't have very many cookbooks, and this one is a very welcome addition, which I expect to use freuqently in the future. I think it will replace Joy of Cooking as my basic reference. Carol could not have picked a more perfect book!

Sorry for the delay, but I'm still behind in my work and will try to get caught up here over the week-end.

Lars

Comments (39)

• Gina_W
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That pizza potholder is cute Lars - it's so hanging-worthy. A groovy package, well-done Carol!

• goldgirl
    17 years ago

Oh that is a great package. The potholder and pizza box are so creative Carol! I'm very curious about the wine, so I'll be looking forward to a review! And the cookbook looks amazing.

• Related Discussions

Blue Sea Holly

Q

Comments (18)
    I have grown them all, except maritimum, which belongs to sand dunes. After many years I've found out the only one worth growing is a hybrid with a name Forncett Ultra(from UK). It is reliably perennial, practically indestructable, unless the roots are eaten by something. Eryngium alpinum is very easy to propagate from seeds if you allow it, but big clumps are more succeptible to winter rot than young plants. So they are never really old to make a very big impact, unless you're lucky. Erygnium planum is a terrible flopper, don't waste your time on it(though there is a dwarf cultivar, don't remember the name), it is rather short-lived. Warning though: after many years Forncett Ultra can send some short runners. As far as the ornamental value of the flowers is concerned, none can beat really blue individuals of E.alpinum.
    ...See More

Sea Onion: Bowiea volubilis

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm happy to report my sea onion is still alive, but I am always unsure whether to water it. I think it has been in a chronic state of dehydration until this past spring/summer when I increased my watering. It actually plumped up and flowered for the first time. Recently when I've watered it the water has immediately drained out of the bottom of the clay pot and the bulb has started shriveling again. I was afraid I had overwatered. I started investigating and decided to take it out of the pot to look at the root situation and I discovered it was extremely root bound (which, from what I can find online, promotes division). However, I don't think that there is enough soil to retain moisture and keep the bulb turgid. So, I just repotted it in a slightly bigger pot and added more soil (potting soil amended with sand). It has just entered its dormant period, so I am once again afraid of overwatering, but I did give it one good drink to see if the bulb plumps up a bit. It is in a hanging basket in my window. We'll see if it likes its new pot. Always risky repotting.
    ...See More

Try moving into the meeting points of rivers, lakes and seas

Q

Comments (1)
    xxxxxxx
    ...See More

Paint palette for sea side period home

Q

Comments (8)
    What a lovely place! The floors are fantastic as is everything we can see. I don't know F&B colors either, but I wonder if something like Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage would work. To me, it is a wonderful neutral and warm. It is a green with grey/blue in it. I do like F&B Teresa's green, Dix blue, and vert de terre, though that last may be a little cold-I have never seen them in real life. Please keep us updated. It sounds like you have a perfect spot there!
    ...See More
  • robinkateb
    17 years ago

lars, I have that cookbook and is one of my favorites. As we both love the Frugal Gourmet I am confident you will love this one as well. Just as you described it is a great basic reference and it has some wonderful recipes. It was one of the cookbooks I brought over myself on the day we moved, could not be without it at either place (I have a lot of cookbooks).

Love the wine set and potholder as well. That potholder looks like it goes with Annie's pie. wonder if Carol got them at the same place. Well done Carol.

-Robin

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Oh, I love that pizza potholder in the authentic pizza box! How cool is that? What a nice cookbook, too, I'll have to look at that one next trip to the bookstore!

Let us know what you think of the wine, Lars. I think it sounds good! And the stainless steel is tr èlègant!

Great job, Carol!

Linda

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

Very nice wine coaster and stopper! I too will have to look up that cookbook. Anything that Robin says is good must be good!

Hmmm, I'm interested to hear about the wine.

Carol, great package!

• dedtired
    17 years ago

What a very cool potholder! I love it. If you drink all the wine at once, you may try to eat the potholder.

Sounds like the cookbook is good for recipes and weight lifting.

Love it.

Pam

• dlundin
    17 years ago

That's a great package, Lars! Nice job, Carol. It was just perfect for him.

Lars, I say go for the beef with that wine!

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

Oh, I just love the wine coaster and stopper. I love Pindar and look forward to your review on the reserve.

The potholder in the pizza box is so clever!

Carol, you packed the perfect box. Enjoy Lars:)

• triciae
    17 years ago

Lars, I don't drink wine but "Tar, Leather, & Smoke" would throw me too! Wonder if that would have helped the stroganoff I burned a couple years back? :)

I love that potholder in the pizza box. I mean, really, how cute is that!

We have a thread going on Discussions to post a recipe from the swap cookbooks in case you've not seen it yet after getting home from vacation. I'll be anxious to see which recipe out of those 800 you choose to post! I'm sure you're going to really enjoy the book.

Great swap package, Carol. Long Island has so many neat things, I imagine it was hard to choose!

Enjoy your loot & your weekend, Lars.

Tricia

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

The wine set is really classy! Cookbook sounds like a great selection for Lars. Good job Carol. Give us the review on the wine when you have it Lars!

janet

• lowspark
    17 years ago

Another great swap box! The cookbook sounds great, wine - can't wait to hear about the taste, and the potholder is too cute!!

I'm starting to get worried the swap I'm sending won't live up to these others!

• coronabarb
    17 years ago

I love the pizza potholder! It is too cute!

You'll have to post some of those recipes. That cookbook looks like it has some wonderful treasures in it.

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

I love your package!

I like the way you say you are not accustomed to the flavors of your new wine also..I agree ..beef.Selon your description..

The pizza holder is adorable..and I have that cookbook, although I think an older version.. recommended by a mentor.
    A great addition to your cookbooks.
    Lars..I just worked w/ clients from Ca..and they offered me apart from a dear miniature "Monique" California license plate:) A Franciscan wine from Napa.. Red..which I saved for this coming Sunday w/ my family.
    So we will be more than one enjoying a new wine.
    Enjoy.

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

This is so right for you, Lars. Now you need a pizzeria apron and hat to go with your hot mit. Then take pictures so we can all say how you look exactly like an authentic Italian pizzamaker! LOL!

Enjoy your new cookbook and that interesting sounding wine.

Great package, Carol!
    Teresa

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

That all looks so nice, and the pot holder looks good enough to eat. I'm looking forward to hearing your review of the wine - it sounds interesting. That cookbook is a good one. I seem to remember my Dad getting one of his books way back a long time ago. It was a heart healthy cookbook. He really enjoyed cooking from it, and I bet you will, too.

Sally

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

A superb package! That is one of my all time favortie cookbooks! And the pot holder is adorable. I'm with you Lars. It's too cute to use!

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

that pizza "holder" is sooooooooo cool!

I agree worthy of display.

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

That wine kit is certainly something you'll get alot of use from Lars -- stopper is great. And a very unique wine !

And something "fabric" for you to enjoy--perfect kitchen art.

I imagine you're going to be "browsing " that cookbook for years-- it's very informative .

Carol-- perfect fit for Lars , good job .

• finally
    17 years ago

Wow, the Austin connection with the pizza is wonderful Lars. It sounds like you had a good time in Texas. I'll have to look over that cookbook the next time I'm in a bookstore. It sounds like a wonderful reference/inspiration guide.

I'm also curious about the wine. I think I'd lean towards serving it with beef too. Do let us know!

• ziporion
    17 years ago

What a great potholder, and so ingenious to have it come wrapped inside the pizza box!

I've got a few of the New York Times cookbooks, and find they offer so many ways to cook, bake, roast, you name it! I think you'll really enjoy it.

And while I agree beef would be nice for the wine, when I read your description my immediate thought was grilled lamb.

Enjoy your goodies, Lars (and welcome back!).

Very nice set of treats Carol!

Catherine

• lsr2002
    17 years ago

What a wonderful package. I have an earlier version of The NY Times Cookbook too and have used it a lot over the years. The wine set is a perfect local item and the "pizza" is really fun.

I think you did a great job Carol and I know Lars will enjoy everything.

Lee

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    17 years ago

I'm so glad you liked it all, Lars, I had fun picking it all out. I found the idea for the potholders in an old Italian Cooking and Living magazine and had bookmarked the site. I got one for Annie, and one for me, too! The woman who makes them has to be the most accomodating and nicest person I've ever dealt with. She even called me from Texas to follow up on a question I emailed her. If anyone is interested I linked the site.

Tastes like Black Cherry and smells like tar, leather and smoke? I guess there are worse aromas, LOL! I never read the label.

Enjoy, Lars, I'm looking forward to your description of the wine :) and which recipes you make from the cookbook! I have a copy, too, I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Inedible Art

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Great visual of Lars wearing the pizza mitt. On his head, getchermindsouttathegutter. I better shut up now.

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

I love the wine stopper and coaster, too! Living across the sound from LI, I'm also interested in the wine review, Lars. Our local wines in this area are a nice surprise, and I have a friend who keeps telling me that I must do a wine tour in Long Island.

Nice swap Carol!

• Virginia7074
    17 years ago

The wine stopper is great, as is the coaster. Bet the wine turns out to be a good one. The pizza mitt is too cute, especially in its packaging. You can't go wrong with Craig Claiborne. Hmmm, I think I'm seeing theme here - NY wine, NY pizza, NY Times.

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

Lars,
    What a wonderful swap package. The pizza hotholder is very cute! I'd love to take a look at that cookbook! It sounds like I need to go check that one out. And, subtle aromas of tar, leather and smoke??? I don't know whether to be scared or intrigued! Looking forward to hearing more about that! Nice wine set.

Carol,
    What a terrific job!

• KatieC
    17 years ago

My goal for today is to start plowing through everyone's posts...I am soooo behind. I thought my swap pkg. came from about as far away as possible, but I think yours traveled a greater distance, Lars.

I have and love the NY Times Cookbook, too, as well as the NY Times Natural Food CB ...they are both really good.

Cool potholder, too. And tar, leather and smoke...hmmmm ....can't wait to hear how it tastes.

Fun stuff, Carol.

• Lars
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I opened the wine yesterday, and it tastes really great! No hint of tar, leather, or smoke, at least as far as DB or I could detect. Whoever wrote that description must have been in a smoky leather bar while the roof was being tarred. I found the wine to be full-bodied, with a rich mellow flavor, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone who like Cabernet. It did not even taste like oak, although it did taste a bit like black cherry, but not in any way sweet.

Thanks, Carol, for a great bottle of wine. We had it with lasagne and still have half a bottle left over.

Lars

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    17 years ago

I'm glad you and Kevin enjoyed it, Lars! Maybe they were tasting their third or fourth bottle when they came up with that description? I'll have to go back and try some myself. Sounds nice with the lasagne!

Bizzo, I haven't gone to any of the wineries yet. Hoping to go one of these days. I've passed the wineries when we go apple picking. There's some nice wineries on the South Fork, too!

Carol

• andi_2006
    17 years ago

Lars, I own the 1990 version of the "NYT Cookbook" and it is still one of my "go-tos". You will love this book! The "pizza" packaging is tooo clever!! From your description, the wine sounds divine. Very nice package, Carol!

• shaun
    17 years ago

I LOVE that pot holder! That is the cutest thing I've seen!

• traceys
    17 years ago

Terrific NY box Carol. The pot holder is adorable. Sounds like the wine was a big hit with Lars and Kevin. I looked at that cookbook while shopping for my partner and almost bought it. It looks great.

Enjoy Lars!

Tracey

• alison
    17 years ago

Wow! That book is heeeeeavy!
    The wine is intriguing, and the wine set looks absolutely lovely. Very classy!

And a little bit of whimsy to top it off. Great package!

• annie1992
    17 years ago

What a perfect package for Lars, and the potholders were even from Texas, what a great coincidence. I love the pie potholder Carol sent me, and the pizza one is just great too.

The wine when Lars describes it sounds much better than "smoke, leather and tar", which is a very good thing, and the cookbook will be perfect.

Good job Carol. Lars, enjoy everything.

Annie

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

I love the wine set Lars, very classy indeed! The potholder looks like the real thing. I'm liking wine more these days after camp.... the only thing missing in that trio are the cuffs. Right Annie! LOL! Great package Carol! I know Lars will enjoy it!

David

• stacy3
    17 years ago

Lars, your description is amazing - makes us realize how appreciated your gift is.

Carol, such a wonderful selection for Lars - the cookbook sounds fabulous.

Stacy

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

The wine kit is SO cool, the pizza holder SO cute and the Claibourne cookbook SO classic...great so so so parcel Carol! LOL

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

That cookbook has such a wealth of information, great job, Carol. The potholder is cute, and the wine sounds interesting - love the coaster - let us know how that wine is Lars!

• colo_lady
    17 years ago

Cool package! You did a great job with the photos, BTW. Made me covet the wine set-up.

Can I come over??