Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm Finished! Yep! I'm Finished, but I'm NOT Mailing Yet!

Posted by momto4kids (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 6, 06 at 5:57

I've even got ONLY three items! No need to audit MY box! I'm being a good girl (this time!). But, I'm finished...all but the mailing is "off my plate." I don't want to mail too early. It would be fun for my partner to be first, but not so early it doesn't feel like it's the same swap! I've done that before. Very satisfying on my end to not have it hanging over my head, but I think it made the swap somewhat anticlimatic for my partner!

So.....I'm ready for you partner...but you gotta wait!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm Finished! Yep! I'm Finished, but I'm NOT Mailing Yet!

My cookbook is on order (I bought TWO one for me and one for my partner!), My local item is decided, just not actually purchased yet, and my handmade item has to wait a few weeks. I should be ready to mail by the end of Oct.

The three item limit and specific item list are really good. That has kept me from agonizing over what to buy.

o

Somebody has to be first to mail and first to receive. But I do understand what you mean Deb.

I have two of my items and I know what the third will be. Can't pick it up though until next week when we go to Victoria.

Ann

o

Deb, Good job on being done already. Until I finish my research i will not be finalizing any decisions. I agree on needing to wait to send your package out. For me the anticipation of who might be my partner and what might be in the box are a huge part of the fun. Makes looking at other peoples boxes more fun. Although I think my favorite part is making up the box I am sending out.

-Robin

o

Debbie you over achiever you! You are doing the right thing though, anticipation is part of the fun.

I haven't even started but I'm pretty sure what I'm sending for homemade and for regional. The cookbook is presenting me with a bit of a challenge. I think I'll have to make a trip to some of my favourite cookbook shops and graze.....this could be a very expensive swap!!! LOL

o

Can I just say..."show offs!"...LOL

o

I had a brainstorm about my local item today. I hope it's a good one. I know what cookbook I'll buy. It's the handmade that has me befuddled. I can't decide whose hands should make it -- probably not mine!

o

Oh Pam, I just used the word "befuddled" in another post! Good grief! Actually, the handmade item popped into my head right away. I don't know why!

Where's Shaun? I need one of those whistling, biding my time, smileys!

o

Deb, you are Type-A AND a tease!

o

Yikes! You are way too quick!
I have the cookbook, am making my item, hope it turns out worthy of being included in a swap package. Hoping to find a "regional" item at the art fair this weekend, if not, I have a plan B for that.

If all goes well I will be rady to mail in a couple weeks.

Linda

o

I bow to the master overachiever!!

I am currently in the analysis paralysis faze.

o

I have two items and got outbid on the third item on eBay, and so I have to pick something else, but I know what I'm looking for.

Lars

o

M24K.....show off!

I am making my homemade item on Monday....it will be a first for me....am sooooo excited! (OMG hope it turns out OK)

I know my local item, but am stumped so far on the cookbook........

janet

o

I have item one, most of item two (Ann did say one quart for homemade stuff!), and item three will be mailed to me on Monday. Just gotta find a box, partner!

o

Oh, I hope to get 2/3 of the items this weekend! Having to decide on only 3 things sure is making life easier.

And M24K, you can go ahead and send me my swap gift now. I really wouldn't mind. :~)

o

Tomorrow, I'm going to the 63rd Waterford Homes Tour and Crafts Exhibit. I'm counting on finding something there; can't wait. I can probably wrap up regional or handmade - maybe both.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterford Homes Tour and Crafts Exhibit

o

I feel very sorry for my partner.

I have nothing in my box...yet

o

Deb, if it's my swap gift, go ahead and mail it. No problem. LOL I have purchased 2 out of the 3 items. I'm pretty sure I will be making the handmade item. Researching my partner was the fun part.

o

I've got nothing and no brilliant ideas, yet. I'm hoping for inspiration!

o

I can't wait for some packages to be delivered, I'd like to see what types of gifts you are all sending!!

I've bought one thing and am in the process of making another. Just need to get a local item.

This is fun!~ I love the limits.

o

M24K...4 kids...in the middle of finishing your backsplash. What took you so long? I mean it's been a whole week since we got our partner's names. Such a slacker. Sheesh! ;)

(I have a few ideas, but nothing solid yet)

o

Cookbook has been shipped - bought local today - also bought handmade just around the corner from the local today - got a box - ta da! I'm just about ready to mail!

I'm so excited about the three items I am sending my partner! I love them all!

o

Wow! That was fast! I definitely have some ideas, but nothing in hand yet!

I could have bought something for my partner today, but I didn't know what size field hockey stick she would use! Joking of course--I took a bunch of teen girls to a field hockey tournament a couple hours away today in Davis. Would have been a fun place to shop, but alas, there were games all day!

o

Nada. I have Nada. I HATE the research because it is too time consuming. I much prefer just going to Miss Snoop (otherwise known as Evil Jessy)and she does it for me. Whew. Makes my life easier. However, I still have put nothing together. Too much on my plate right now. So partner, you aint gettin' it right away!

o

This time my swap partner was very clear with what he/she liked and enjoyed about cooking. I looked for a couple of preferences and nailed it down to those two - easy, peasy!

With a limit on this swap, we only have to agonize over three items, not 15 - ha, ha!

Thanks partner, and thanks, Ann, for the 3 item limit.

o

Okay, I finally decided which of two cookbooks would be right for my partner, so I just ordered it. It should be here in a week (give or take). That is good I will need that time to sort canned goods and possibly make a batch or 2 of something to include.

Now the local still has me stymied, I just have too many options here.

-Robin

o

Since I don't can, I'm headed to the Farmer's Market this morning. I am late doing this I guess.

But hey, since I'M USUALLY THE SECOND TO LAST TO GET MY BOX, I don't feel TOO bad... *snort*

o

I'm finished...sorta. I'm still waiting for the cookbook to be delivered. It should be here by the end of this week. Then, I've got to find a box to stuff things in, wrap the goodies, and get to the post office. I'm not going to be with the early bird shippers but I won't be last either (hopefully!). I need to get my "homemade/handmade" present wrapped soon before I decide to keep it!

Tricia

o

Now Sherry you're not getting off all THAT easy. All I did was send you some links which you could have found on your own very easily!

o

I ordered my last item today from eBay, and so I have to wait for it to be delivered. It probably won't arrive until after I get back from Texas, and I plan to have the P.O. hold my mail while we're away. I'm very happy with what I found, however, and I'll be able to ship the last week of October. My eBay item might arrive sooner - the apron I ordered from England got here in four days.

Lars

o

I'm finished too! The local item is a bit of a "stretch" (mileage wise) but it works! I'm waiting for the cookbook to arrive (hopefully this week) and then I'll be "UPS bound". This was my first swap - the research and shopping for my partner was so much fun! There will be two boxes shipping of Florida soon coming your way :)

o

I'm part of the way there. I know which cookbook, but can't decide whether to have it sent to my partner directly or shipped to me so I can include it in one box.

Shipping some of these heavy cookbooks can be expensive if it's part of a priority box - but there's something nice about getting everything together. Am I right? Do people prefer to get everything together - or are separate packages okay? I'd love input about this so I can decide where to have the book shipped.

Then there are several good events next weekend for local and/or handmade-homemade. There's nothing I've ever made myself that is swap worthy and wouldn't perish in transit. I'm looking for ideas about something I can make myself, but that may not happen. So I'm still unsure about that item. I'm pretty sure I know about the local - and hope to get it next weekend.

Lynn.

p.s. The shopping yesterday and searching for ideas is lots of fun. It's like Christmas and Hanukah early. I always love the shopping part.

o

Lynn, Personally I would ship it all together, actually I am as the cookbook is being shipped to me. I think it is nice to get it all together when the swap is only 3 items. Also, I would not want the cookbook to get there before the other stuff.

I agree, the planning and shopping is fun, actually I think it is my favorite part.

-Robin

o

lynn, when I order stuff online, I wait to get it to my home and package it all together. One thing you can do after you have packed up your box is measure its dimensions and weigh it. Then go online to all three shipping services websites - US Postal office, UPS, FedEx. They have shipping calculators, and you don't have to ship priority! I wanted to this time, but the book I found was just too big. Shrug. I found FedEx was cheapest by a bit for large packages, and if you sign up with them (and pick up their plastic sleeves) you can print off your own shipping labels and just drop the box off at the counter.

Good luck!

o

I've got the cookbook (and like lowspark, couldn't resist also getting one for myself!), and i'll have the second item on Wednesday, which is in a way both homemade/handmade and regional, and i'm really excited about it...but i'm still trying to decide on the 3rd item. Even with a limit of 3 items, there are still too many choices!!

o

So in between meetings at work today, I was thinking of swap ideas. And suddenly it occurred to me - people were talking about earrings and fragrances. Does this mean that non-cooking/non-food related items are okay? Since this is my first swap, I'm probably not thinking as broadly as I could (also just occurs to me to check past swaps to get a sense of the range). Should these items relate to the fall - or is this a fall swap merely bc. it's occurring in the fall?

I, too, ordered one cookbook for my partner and one for me.

Lynn.

o

Lynn, its rare that a personal item such as jewelry is included in a swap package. Personally, I feel that it should be related to cooking or the home rather than wearable. I've been around here for a few years and there aren't too many people I'd be comfortable buying jewelry for that I've never seen in person. This might change if I was clever enough to be able to create something or if I knew that the person collected something specific like angels or frogs!LOL

o

Perhaps people were thinking that handmade jewelry, soaps, or candles would be good for the handmade category. I'm pretty particular about jewelry and scents, so I prefer people do not buy those items for me, except for my sisters and my sons who know my "perculiarities." sp?

Okay! Mine is boxed up and ready to go in the mail tomorrow! Maybe I'll be the first to mail! Who knows?

Anyway, my package is going ......left!

o

I sent a bracelet made of bottle caps to Switzerland in a swap, and I think the recipient liked it. I normally would not send jewelry either, but this was food related! I used to wear a plastic bracelet that was made of all kinds of plastic fruit strung together - somewhat like a Carmen Miranda headpiece, but that was back around 1980.

Lars

o

Teresa and Compumom - thanks for confirming that I should stick to my original take on this (keeping it related to cooking, eating or home).

Lars - that is a really neat bracelet. I can see why that's a good exception to the rule.

Lynn.

o

Neener neener Teresa I dropped my box off yesterday at FedEx. Bwahahaha.

o

I'm waiting for delivery of one special item, it should come by the end of the week. Hopefully! and then the box is outta here! I'm an impulsive shopper, I found the limits to be, well, limiting! but I stuck to the rules and I'm happy with my choices. I hope my partner will be, too!

Cool looking bracelet, Lars! I've seen similar bottle caps as magnets!

o

Lynn, I think that is probably a good decision. Like Ellen, I wouldn't be comfortable sending Jewelry. And I know that most people either don't care for scented candles or are particular in what they like, so I stay away from anything scented.

I just need on more item and I'm hoping that I'll find what I want tomorrow in Victoria when I drive Matt home.

Lars I remember when you sent that Bracelet. And it was actually a perfect gift for the young woman you sent it too.

Ann

o

Oh dear. I've been off in NYC having a good time while all of you were concentrating. I'm in a dither about everything for my package. Want to make my homemade item but not sure I have the time. Can't decide on the cookbook or the regional. Too many choices. But since I've been last to recieve the last 2 swaps maybe it'll be okay if i'm on the late time sending this time.

o

Now Jan, you know what they say, two wrongs don't make it right! I haven't started yet either so let's both be on time!

o

I ordered my cookbook last night and did NOT order one for myself. Figured that I may just stumble into a couple of bookstores and if they have the book there, I'll buy it and keep the one I ordered! Needed to make 25 bucks on Amazon to qualify for free shipping, to I ordered a recording of The Messiah, too. I have a couple of ideas for regional/handmade. One involves going to the farmer's market; the other involves contacting a crafter friend.

o

The home made item is ready and so is the cookbook - of course there had to be a book sale on when I went to buy it and I brought home two new cookbooks besides the one I bought for my partner.

I'm still mulling over the local item. There are so many things to choose from that my head is spinning.

o

Cookbook is on it's way to me.
Local: ?? So many choices!!
Handmade: Debating a couple of ideas.

I'll be out of town until the 17th of October so mine will not ship till I get back.

Sorry partner!!
Deanna

o

I have many choices for the local item so it's going to be difficult deciding. The cookbook arrived today, and the homemade item has been chosen. Hope to ship next week.

o

I found it, I found it - Found the perfect cookbook for my partner today. I might even get mine wrapped up and packaged and in the mail before the end of the week.

Ann

o

I've got my items ready. Now for the hard part--finding a box! I'll try to dig around for one tomorrow so I can send this on its way.

o

I have two all set; just trying to think of a local item.

Ummmmmmmm............ Then I need boxes too. I don't want the homemade item to get crushed so that will need it's own box.

This local item has me stumped; I don't want to send oranges. hahaha!!

o

I am working on my homemade item...am debating between 2 totally different cookbooks...but I've got my local item picked out! If I don't get it sent out this weekend, it should be sent before the following weekend, for sure.

Lori

o

I've got my cookbook, and have an idea about what I'll be sending for regional, but the homemade is holding me up... our craft fairs don't start until October 28th! In my excitement I may be forced to come up with something else in the "homemade" category.

In reading these posts, I can feel the excitement building!

Catherine

o

I have my cookbook and just ordered my "handmade" item. Well, actually two, because I bought one for myself ;) I have something local but am going to keep looking this weekend just in case I find something I like better.

o

I'm in the middle of making my handmade thing, and hoping it'll turn out well. I have no clue about the regional thing. It's hard to come up with something that's not a cliche and that someone from another state can enjoy. I'm hoping to shop for the cookbook this weekend. I'll probably be one of the last people to ship out, due to my handmade thing, but I'm on schedule to finish it before the time's up. It's hard to believe it's already October 12!

Sally

o

I finished mine today. All wrapped up and mailed. Suppose to arrive within 6 to 8 days.

o

Oh Ann - the wrapping paper is just GORGEOUS!

o

Oh look someone is getting a mini ironing board!
LOL

It's not me, because I got Teresa's package today!

She's right, she had me nailed down! Maybe even more than she knew.

o

Okay, all you folks that have not yet started... I figure ONE of you is my partner since I will be the last to get my box. Right? It's just the way it works out. I can handle it though. I can be patient. We're just getting started.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

~Packageless in Colorado~

o

LOL...are you sure?
The only thing I'm sure about is that I won't be. LOL
I still need to get my package finished though!

o

I've got my 3 items--but there's one more i REALLY want to get. Can i call the first three a set, lol??

o

I am going to jump in and say no you cannot call the first three a set. However if you are sending to me feel free to send the last item to me later as a Surcie.

-Robin

o

robinkateb, i figured as much... but thought it was worth a try, this being my first swap and all! It's hard not to get carried away. But a Surcie, now that's a thought!

o

oh no - here we go again, Marcia!!!!! LOL!

Oh, Ann, I think I know what one of those is...and phooey, I'm just sorry it's not coming MY way!!!!!!!!

I've got the cookbook, but I may send late as I may have to "test" a few of the recipes in it...

what, isn't that what you meant by "used cookbook"?

Stacy

o

I got the cookbook today from eBay. I had thought it was out of print, but I was able to find it on Amazon, and so I might have to order a copy for myself, now that I've had a chance to look at it. I'll wait until I get back from Texas, however.

Everything I'm sending is local, within a 3 miles radius of my house. I'll try to ship on Monday, but then I won't have internet access for a week, starting Wednesday.

Lars

o

The cookbook arrived from Amazon yesterday. I have a ball paark idea of the homemade/handmade and I just had a brainstorm of an idea. The woman who used to be our Mac tech at school (when we had Macs) now makes beautiful handmade thingys. If I can figure out a way to get one of them from her in time to mail, I may do that. On the other hand, I'm not sure that it wouldn't cost more than $5, which would blow the $30 budget. How strict is the $30 budget?

o

Virginia, the $30.00 is just the minimum that all participants have to committ to when they signup for a swap. You can spend as much as you want over and about that. When it comes to homemade/handmade items though it is sometimes difficult to put a value on them. Just do your best.

Ann

o

My goodies are packed up and ready to go!

o

Oh, Robin. "Send it later as a Surcie." You're such an enabler. Good thing I didn't see that when I finished my shopping today. There was a fabulous fair, that had so many wonderful local and handmade items. I found a local and a homemade item I thought would be great for my swap partner. Then, I saw 2 more things I thought would be good. But I resisted. Good thing I didn't have the idea of the Surcie in mind.

I also saw things that were just so wonderful in general, it was hard not to go ahead and buy for the next swap. Some of them were unique things I think anyone who cooks would love. But, alas, I held off because I thought it better to wait and know who my next swap partner will be so I can pick things for that person in particular.

And of course I had to buy something for myself. And holiday gifts for family and friends. Boy was there great stuff there.

So I have all 3 of my items. I don't know if my partner takes photoes or not, so I'm going to take pictures first, then box them up and hopefully get them in the mail in a couple of days. I can't wait. This is so much fun, I'm glad I finally decided to join in.

Lynn.

o

"Oh look someone is getting a mini ironing board! LOL"

Ha, ha, that's funny! I think ann has raised the bar on gift wrapping paper.

I'm heading south of here for the local gift tomorrow. I'm buying some ________ ________, which I have too and just love it.

o
Oh, No! Didn't occur to me to gift wrap.

To my swap partner - I hope you'll forgive my newbie oversight. I was so focused on boxing the items carefully (too much practice at selling on ebay and boxing things carefully) - that it didn't occur to me to giftwrap. But everything should be nice and snug and safe from damage. I'm off to mail it this morning.

Lynn.

o

I'm pretty sure I've figured out my homemade item, and I should be able to acquire it this weekend. So, if everything comes together well, I hope to be shipping next week which is earlier than I had originally anticipated!

o

I'm 2/3 set....well, sort of. I'm still working on the hand made item, but I found the cookbook yesterday. Like many of you, I had to get 2 of them, one for myself and one for my partner.

I'm still puzzling over the local item. I've found a nice locally produce item, but I'm not sure about shipping it. I'm going to do some more research. I've thought of other things, but Texas is a big state, and I'm not sure if the other side of Texas counts as local. Unfortunately, where I live the primary locally produced products are McMansions. I know I can spend as much as I want, but I'm NOT spending THAT much! LOL. Besides, that would definately be hard to ship!

Sally

o

I'm 2/3 set, too. Still puzzling over the handmade/homemade item and even though I already have the regional item, it's subject to change at any moment.

o

I had a run-in with a chef's knife this past weekend which negatively impacted getting my homemade item done as early as I originally anticipated (should have probably gotten a few stitches in my finger...but...) My finger is on the mend (indicative by the fact that I can type now!), and my item should be completed before this weekend. My cookbook is bought, and my local item will be purchased immediately before shipping. I should be done well in advance of the deadline! (That's a big deal for me!)

Lori ;-)

o

I just ordered the cookbook. I have the local and handmade items. I will ship as soon as the book arrives. Hopefully that will be early next week.

Lori, Careful with those knives. Hope your finger is completely healed soon.

Oh I bought myself a cookbook too. You guys are a bad influence.

Tracey

o

Me too, i'm done, i'm done! I thought i was done before (twice)--see my post from last Friday-- and then i saw something else... Anyway, i've even got a theme (oooooh). At least, i think it's a theme... Now i need a box, and if i can find one, i'll ship tomorrow!!

o

One down! I saw an item I liked a lot and it fit with one category. It is definitely not the local item! While I was there I got something for myself, too.

So I have my ideas for the other two. Do I need a theme?? Uh oh. Could be stuff in a box again.

I have too many ideas!! I may change my mind altogether. Oh this is hard.

o

Mailed today :) Feeling a little insecure about my choices, sure home they're okay with my partner!

So those of you to the west of New Jersey, be on the lookout...

o

I bought two fabulous items today and just need to get the handmade *things* put together...then I mail on Monday to somewhere east of here. (guess that leaves all of you in Orange County, CA out of the running!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here