SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andi_2006

WANTED: Miles from 'Mile High' Arrived!!!

andi_2006
17 years ago

Colo-Lady (Marcia) is the best!!! Not only can she compose a clever "swap poem" she can put together an awesome swap package! Marcia, I feel as if "you know me"!

The exterior shipping box had "fall leaves" that were glued to the package - sorry, no photos as my cat destroyed them prior to me being able to open the package!

The gifts were wrapped in the "fall theme" - raffia and leaves

{{gwi:1465988}}

Marcia sent a letter detailing the swap themes:

Cookbook - Dorie Greenspan's "Baking, From My Home To Yours". This is one cookbook I do not own! I will be baking (and posting recipes) this week - a fantastic cookbook! The chapters: Breakfast Sweets, Cakes, Pies and Tarts, Cookies and Spoon Desserts. I LOVE Dorie!

Regional - "Firenze" marmalade (figs, almonds and rosemary) - Yum!!! Marcia suggests pairing this with chicken and/or pork or cheese. It sounds delightful! Another item - "Spice Boys of the Rockies" spiece blend to mix with EVOO as a bread dip. (These treats will not last a week in my house!!)

Handmade - A lovely bowl from the Artisan Center - OMG! BEAUTIFUL!!!

{{gwi:1465989}}

My partner "bent the rules" and sent a gift to my kitty, "B"....a handcrafed birds' nest! (You have a wonderful sense of humor!!)

{{gwi:1465990}}

Marcia, you made my first swap so special! I love everything and "B" sends "purrs and kneads" to your kids!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Andi

Comments (48)

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

Andi, your kitty is very sweet! Oh yeah, your swap box is pretty sweet too! Enjoy.

Marci, Good job! But you always do a good job ;-)

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

I think that's a daylily I see in that gorgeous bowl..

What a well thought of gift package.

• Related Discussions

Mile High Club(100 containers)

Q

Comments (38)
    A woman at work decided YESTERDAY she wants to start WS right away. I described the 460!!! milk jugs lined up both sides of my breezeway and around the side of the garage to her and she's rarin' to go. Anybody know where I can get arabis (rock cress) seeds? That's what she wants to WS right away. She was going home today and dump the milk out of the jug in her 'fridge. I've still got seeds I can give her that don't need cold stratification (I think). If anyone has excess seeds I can give her, let me know & I'll send postage/SASBE. We may as well enable another one!! Oh, and I've got several lupine sprouts potted up to share with folks at work who believed in me back in November when I told them I was going to winter sow.
    ...See More

Milos' Mile High Amaranth

Q

Comments (6)
    Amended soil for sure... but not as much water as you might think. About as much as it takes to keep zinnias and castor beans going during the hottest part of the summer..... occasionally a long, slow drip.
    ...See More

wanted: wanted: anacharis within 30 miles of spring hill, tn

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Irisaddict, If you are coming to the mid tn plant swap, I can bring you some anachris to the swap. I think you had mentioned coming in an earlier post. Marianne
    ...See More

WANTED: Mile-a-minute afghan pattern

Q

Comments (1)
    Just to let you know that I have about six books of mile a minute patterns and am looking for the one you need. If I find it I will let you know by tomorrow. Hope I have it for you. Rose
    ...See More
  • teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Another interesting swap box! I just love seeing what our swappers chose to send.

Well done, Marcia! Enjoy your gifts, Andi - and don't forget to post any recipes you try over in Discussions.

Teresa

• triciae
    17 years ago

Boy, that cookbook would get used a lot here. I love to bake. I keep reading all about these fig jams...figs are my favorite fruit & I can't get them here.

Love that bowl, the colors are spectacular...but, I think it looks like a mum and not a daylily? Maybe, I need glasses?? In any event, the colors are a winner, for sure!

Enjoy the goodies (especially that fig jam), Andi.

Nice going Marcia!

Tricia

• debbie814
    17 years ago

Enjoy your gifts, the pottery is so lovely. Love your sweet kitty...

• traceys
    17 years ago

What a beautiful package you put together Marcia. I just love that bowl. That cookbook would be put to good use here too. I still have no idea what figs taste like but the marmalade sounds wonderful.

Enjoy your package Andi and let us know what you're baking.

Tracey

• kent4489
    17 years ago

Andi, sweet, sweet kitty! Great gifts too. I would really like the baking book too.
    Marcia, Excellent choices! Pretty wrapping too.

Jayne

• shaun
    17 years ago

AW! The kitty got a gift too! Hey that bowl is beautiful!
    Great job Marcia! Andi, gimme that bowl!!! hahahaha!!

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    17 years ago

Great gifts! Beautiful bowl. I love the cookbook! Fantastic, Marcia! Enjoy, Andi!

• jessyf
    17 years ago

More FIGS! I told you, this is the swap fruit!

I love that bowl. I love all the bowls, LOL. I'll take the cat, too.

Neat package and packaging!

• colo_lady
    17 years ago

YAY! So happy it got there, Andi!

The spice grinder was a tough decision because there were several things from that company I wanted to get. Like lavender lemonade. Have you ever HAD lavender lemonade? It's delicious! But here's the description of the spices:

5280 Grind
    The 5280 Grind is a blend of whole spices in a clear acrylic grinder. The flavor is dynamic...a little citrusy, peppery and spicy all mixed together. You will use it everywhere you use pepper today! Especially good ground over olive oil for use as a dipping oil for your favorite bread or to use as a marinade for meat, chicken or fish. A beautiful blend of Four Peppercorns, Coriander, Rosemary, Onion, Mustard Seed, Fennel, Orange & Lemon Peel, Tarragon, Garlic, Chili Peppers and Sesame Seeds.

It's a little bit sweet and a little bit spicy (and oh so delicious!). So have fun with that.

The fig marmalade is one of my favorites. Once you have it on salmon, you'll know what I mean. If you put it on after you broil/bake/grill it and then stick it under the broiler for a minute, it kind of crystalizes a bit and YUM! I like to just put it on crackers, too. But you never know if someone else will like figs or not. People who haven't tried them think they won't like them. What's up with that? I think they're very misunderstood.

I tried to keep a Fall-ish theme and to stick to just three gifts although I failed with the latter. I also tried to come up with things that are unique and wanted to combine the sweet/savory idea. I hope you had fun with your very first swap and that you go on to enjoy many more!

Marcia

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

That bowl is gorgeous!! I think it went to the wrong house. I am also drooling at the idea of both those food items. That salmon sounds amazing!! What a great swap package!!

-Robin

• User
    17 years ago

At the risk of sounding repetitive...that is a gorgeous bowl, absolutely gorgeous. I have to go back and reread the post I got stuck on the bowl! LOL

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

A great package, Marcia (even if you cheated a little). Enjoy your bounty, andi.

• lynnalexandra
    17 years ago

Marcia - that's a beautiful package - from the wrapping, to the bowl - and the kitty's gift (you cheat, you). I love the food items. I would not have thought to put marmalade on salmon, but it sounds great. I love fruits with my meats (like duck a l'orange, or with cassis, etc.), so why not try that on salmon. Good idea.

Andi, enjoy your package. Let us know what you bake.

Lynn.

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

Fabulous bowl - so mesmerizing. And that marmalade sounds very unique and tasty - special package you put together Marcia!

• goldgirl
    17 years ago

Of course all the goodies are wonderful, but they're so pretty too. I wish I could stop looking at that cake on the cover ;) Can't wait to see your creations Andi!

Wonderful job Marcia. Love the wrapping job too.

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

Ooh these pictures are a delightful. I'm sure just as much as the items are!

• ziporion
    17 years ago

I keep going back to the picture of the cat seemingly drooling over the bird nest... is there catnip in it? What a great photo!

I love that bowl, its size and colours inside. And although I don't do much baking, that book is right up my alley. The spice grinder looks totally useful too, looks like it would do a small amount of spice or a larger quantity. Nice goodies Andi, hope you enjoy!

Beautiful wrapping and selection of swap items Marcia!

Catherine

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

Another bunch of unique items-- bowl is very pretty -- I bet you'll get a lot of yummy treats out of that cookbook Andi -- & oh but that marmalade sounds delicious -- good choices Marcia .

• deanna1949
    17 years ago

Oh my, oh my! That is a truly super parcel of treats. How exciting for you to receive these lovely items. I'm anxious to see some of the recipes from that book. Sounds sinful!

• User
    17 years ago

Forgot to mention the wrapping...Marcia you did a fabulous job on the presentaion.

• catlover
    17 years ago

What a thoughtful swap, especially for the cat! My, as the holidays arrive, I want to see some recipes from that book. Adele

• finally
    17 years ago

Marcia what a beautiful bowl! And I love the photo of your cat with the nest, too Andi.

I'll have to admit to swooning at the first sight of the cover of that book, though! Andi, you'll have to pick a new favorite to share over on the Discussions side. Looks like lots of yummy possiblities are inside those covers!

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

The wrapping is spectacular! What a beautiful package. I just love bowls and that is another beauty. I can't get over the bird's nest and egg - is it nip or something?

I love your cat, Andi! Exquisite selections, Marcia.

• dedtired
    17 years ago

Okay, now I have to scrap everything I bought and start over. Sheesh. Who can possibly match this?? I love every item. I HAVE to have a piece of the cake on the cover of the cookbook. I love the bowl, too. Very nice.

Pam

• User
    17 years ago

Oh Andi, what wonderful gifts. That bowl is so pretty. And that cookbook gets great reviews on eGullet. In fact there is a whole thread devoted to it. I can't get over the cat's gift either. Too cute.

Ann

• weed30 St. Louis
    17 years ago

Fab package, and, I LOVE THAT BOWL! Excellent choices, and yippee for Andi (and kitty) for being the lucky recipients.

• stacy3
    17 years ago

oooh sounds like a great cookbook!

That bowl is just beautiful, Marcia. You did a wonderful job choosing things for Andi - yup, good job - I bet you got her hooked on swapping!

Stacy

• annie1992
    17 years ago

I'm in total agreement about that bowl, it's just beautiful. The kitty is pretty cute too...

I'm sure the fig marmalade is delicious, I finished off the jar that Jessica sent me already!

Annie

• lowspark
    17 years ago

Yup, I agree, that bowl is gorgeous!! The marmalade sounds yummy! Great gifts Marcia!!

• msrevise
    17 years ago

What a beautiful bowl, and wonderful selections, my mouth is watering at the marmalade and that baking book! And your wrapping is lovely--i'm wrapping-impaired, so i especially admire the preparation you did! Great package!

• dlundin
    17 years ago

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia... The bowl is just dreamy. I saw that Dorie Greenspan book when I was picking up my cookbook selection and was tempted (though I am a lousy baker). The marmalade sounds awesome. Let us know how it is, Andi.

• alison
    17 years ago

What a great package -- that bowl is especially fantastic. Figs really are the thing here lately, aren't they? I'd love to hear more from the cookbook.

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Wow, what a great package! Is the bowl pottery or glass? Either way it is stunning! Now go bake up a batch of goodies from that book!

Linda

• colo_lady
    17 years ago

Linda,
    The bowl is pottery but the glaze is really shiny. I have to confess that it's handmade by someone in New England, not Colorado. (But I did other things for the regional gift, so...)

Here's a closer view:
    {{gwi:1465991}}

And of the marmalade: {{gwi:1465992}}

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

I just ordered two jars of the Loredana marmalade. I thought the bowl was glass, thanks for the close-up and explanation.

Love the kittie!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig Marmalade

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Absolutely GORGEOUS! I love pottery, and that bowl is a treasure. The cookbook looks great, too. I want a piece of that cake, too...is any left? Fig marmelade sounds interesting. How nice for you to remember the kitty. I think the cat wants a bite of that egg! Good job, Marcia, and lucky you, Andi!

Sally

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

Add me to the list who love and want that bowl. Very cool! I can't wait for a recipe out of that book, you know I love to bake. Great package Marica! I know Andi will enjoy it all.

David

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

Wow! Great package and that bowl is to die for!

Enjoy!

• granjan
    17 years ago

Beautiful all the way. Wonderful choices. But you did cheat! Of course some of us have been known to bend rules before. Welcome to swapping, you did good.

• jimtex
    17 years ago

Andi that's a great swap! Marcia you did a great job, was the nest made out of catnip? Kitty looks worn out and hypnotized, lol.

• Lars
    17 years ago

Beautiful bowl - I love glass! And handmade does not have to be local - that's a different category.

I'm looking forward to recipes from the book, and maybe more info about the fig marmalade. Let us know how you use it!

Great package!

Lars

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

awesome swap! and, as others have said, the bowl is beautiful. what a great package!!

• Virginia7074
    17 years ago

I'd like to have some salmon with fig marmalade right about now. The bowl is drop-dead gorgeous. I love baking books, too. Great selections,Marcia. Have fun with it, Andi!

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

The homemade marmalade is a terrific gift! I love the homemade jams/jellies/preserves/marmalades. The cookbook sounds like one I'd really enjoy. I'll have to check it out. The spice blend sounds great, too. I can's see the pix in the OP, but I see the bowl downthread. It's beautiful. Sure would like to see the kitty toy!! Enjoy your treats!

Great job Marcia!

• trixietx
    17 years ago

Andi, if you can't use that bowl, just send it to me, LOL. It is gorgeous!

Marcia, what a nice package. The marmalade looks yummy!

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

I LOVE that bowl -- it is beautiful! Very nice package - enjoy!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio