Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: New U.S. Postal Regulations - Bummer :(

Posted by publickman (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 28, 06 at 20:35

Since the bombing attempt of August 10, the USPS now has new restrictions on what can be mailed to Canada and other countries. They will not accept packages containing jams, jelly, preserves, or anything in jars that is semi-liquid or jelled. There is a slight possibility that this regulation will be changed, but for now it is in force, or at least it was today at Marina Del Rey. You might want to contact your local post office because you will not get any help from usps.com - this site is not quite up to date and does not list all currently prohibited items. I have a feeling they are X-raying packages or otherwise scanning them, and so it would probably not work to try to disguise what you are sending.

If you have more info about this, please share it.

Lars - rejected by P.O.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: New U.S. Postal Regulations - Bummer :(

Lars, thanks for posting your experience. I wasn't aware of that new regulation.

Here is some more information on shipping to Canada. I posted this last swap.

When sending to Canada, it is important to make sure that you indicate on the customs form that the package is a "GIFT". Also make sure that you declare the value to be less than $60.00 Canadian. Approximately $50.00 US. Otherwise your partner might end up having to pay not only duty, but also a brokerage fee especially if you send with UPS or Fed Ex. Sometimes the fees are higher than the value of the gift. It is actually better to ship with the United States Postal service.

Ann

o

I'm going to check on UPS today and see what their regulations are about what you can and cannot ship - they are different from USPS. You can ship wine UPS but not USPS, for example.

Lars

o

My son works for a UPS store and I called him this morning to check on this.

He said that none of these companies can knowingly ship liquids to Canada. You can't ship wine either Lars with UPS or USPS. Not if you tell them that is what is in the box.

Ann

o

UPS will ship wine within the US, but I guess they won't ship it to Canada. The person I spoke with today at UPS said they would ship jams and preserves to Canada, but there is a $15 charge if you want to bill the sender for duties and tarrifs. That makes it not worth it. Or, he said that I would have to have an import declaration from the receiver, which is not very good if you want something to be a surprise.

I'm going to stick with USPS and be careful.

Lars

o

Lars, this makes me wonder about shipping from Canada to US... I bet there are similar restrictions in place. I'll try to check it out on Monday.

Catherine

o

Catherine, For the most part I stopped including food items in my swap boxes a couple of years ago. I just found it easier not to. I have included honey occasionally and just conveniently forgot to mention it on the Customs form.

You can find out what you need to know about sending food to the US on this website.

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here