Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A big, honkin’ box o’ bounty from Katie in Idaho!

Posted by MJMercer (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 05 at 18:27

This afternoon, on one of the most s*ck-a-licious days of my entire year (apologies to those who don’t care for that word! Lol), I got a note from the receiving room in my building. There was a package waiting for me…a BIG package.

I wasn’t expecting anything else so I figured it must be my swap box. Ding, ding, ding! And what great timing. It arrived on a day when I really needed a good pick-me-up.

To give you an idea of how heavy this box is, Katie spent $22.50 on postage just to get it here! Lol I understood when I started opening all the pink and yellow and purple packages. Katie says she had a canning marathon last Sunday. She wanted to include some of the fruits (and jams and soups) of her labors.

I’m gonna tell you everything Katie included, but first I have to issue my Luddite Disclaimer: I don’t have a digital camera. I don’t have a membership with Photobucket or similar service. So I regret that I can’t post pictures of this avalanche of goodies. I’m just gonna have to rely on my talents as a former retail copywriter to convey the wonder of all this cool stuff. Here we go:

Katie claims to be theme-challeneged. Lol Instead of one comprehensive theme, she included an assortment of mini-themes. The biggest theme is…The Potato Box with potato wrapping paper! Inside I discovered a bag of parmesan/garlic potato chips, two Idaho Spud candy bars (shaped like potatoes but definitely chocolate-y/coconut-y in flavor), "Heart of Idaho" potato soup mix, a vegetable brush shaped like…you guessed it…a potato! Also a bar of Spud Suds! It’s an all-natural-ingredient bar of soap with a killer scent. Yes, it lists potato as one of the ingredients! Lol

Katie also included several items from other areas of the Northwest – Oregon, Washington and Canada. She remembered that I’m currently into 2002 Cabernets, and sent me a bottle (unbroken! Yay!) of Columbia Crest from the Columbia Valley in Paterson, Washington. This one will be opened later this evening for mass consumption. Count on it! :o)

But wait: there’s more! Lol Katie sent me an individual serving of smoked king salmon fillet. I can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it on the forums but I LOVE salmon. Love, love, love it. Can’t wait to sample this little beauty. There’s also a packet of dill dip mix, which is billed as being great for chips, crackers and veggies.

Katie says her area also is known for huckleberries. She included a couple of goodies from a friend’s shop. So now I’ve got a packet of ready-to-brew huckleberry tea AND a packet of huckleberry cocoa. I’m not sure, but I suspect this is also where the Huckeberry Lotion came from. Smells sooo good!

There’s also a trivet covered with delphiniums in the most perfect shades of violet and lavender. There’s a label on the back that says this trivet came from Pridham Studio in British Columbia. Web address is: www.pridhamstudio.com

I mentioned something about canned goods, too, didn’t I? :o) There’s huckleberry jam, blueberry/lavender jam, jalapeno pepper jelly, Indonesian satay sauce, and roasted tomato/garlic soup all from The Kitchens of Katie.

Last but not least, a bottle of caramelized onions from the Coeur d’Alene Dressing Company of Rathdrum, Idaho. This is gonna go great on my Trader Joe’s pizza. I love to buy TJ's ready-to-bake dough, throw on a sauce, cheese, tofu and whatever, and then cook to perfection. Can’t wait to taste what the caramelized onions are like on this!

Oops, I almost forgot. Katie also enclosed four bell-shaped chocolate truffles. Two appeared to be filled with blueberry sauce – I think? And the other two had what appeared to be a light peanut butter filling. It’s hard to remember because they’re the first things I tore into, and that was a good hour ago! Lolol

Katie, you rule. Thank you for the thought and effort you put into this box. You gave me eating options that don’t require cooking. For that I am eternally grateful! Lol And now, I must return to my goodies for more personal sampling. You know – for quality control purposes. Yeah….that’s it. ;o)

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A big, honkin’ box o’ bounty from Katie in Idaho!

Katie, I love everything you sent and especially the huckleberry jam, blueberry/lavender jam, jalapeno pepper jelly, Indonesian satay sauce, and roasted tomato/garlic soup from your kitchen. Karen, I know you will enjoy your goodies!

o

What a unique theme with the potato--Katie you must have had quite a good time shopping fot items to fit that--well done! Karen --those home canned goodies are so special. The trivet sounds lovely.
Diane
'--

o

Ohgood, I'm glad the breakables made it. I took a couple of pictures and I'll post them later tonight or tomorrow (have meetings 'til late). I didn't take one of the paper, but I still have a sheet left...it was so, so Idaho-ish, lol.

Karen, I lived back there when I was a kid and I know how terrible cold it gets in the winter...hence the soups and warm drinks. (The chocolates are [were]huckleberry!)You'll have to let me know how the wine is since I don't drink reds. Oh, and I forgot to put in the note....the tomato soup neeeeeds a bit of cream to make it properly decadent.

I hope you enjoy!

o

What a great swap package! Those home canned items are always so appreciated!

Great job, Katie!

o

Karen, Yum! Yum! Yum! Enjoy!

Katie, Awesome job on the swap. That blueberry/lavendar jam sure sounds appetizing to me.

Jayne

o

Home canned goods AND wine? How much better could it possibly get?

Annie

o

Great box Katie! I love the personal touches!

Karen enjoy your box and I'm sure your day ended up just fine after having the huckleberry truffles.

o

Katie, you made a great box! I personally would love to try the blueberry-lavender jam and the carmelized onions. Yum! Sounds lovely! Enjoy it Karen and I hope you too have a better day tomorrow!

o

"That blueberry/lavendar jam sure sounds appetizing to me."

Me too!! Can you share the recipe? ;-)))

barb

o

Nice going, Katie, it all sounds great! Huckleberry cocoa sounds pretty interesting! Enjoy your goodies, Karen!

Carol

o

Wow Katie that is an amazing swap box. What a wonderful bounty of home canned items. I love the idea of indonesian satay sauce, the huckleberry jam, jalepeno pepper jelly and the soup. I tried to make that soup last summer and had canner problems. Since then I have been afraid of making it. The box would have been awesome with just all the home canned items.

-Robin

Here is the Blueberry Lavender Jam recipe along with notes on canning it

Blueberry Lavender Jam

2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
1 11 1/2- ounce can frozen white grape juice concentrate
3 cups fresh blueberries, washed and drained

1. Make a lavender sachet: Cut a piece of cheesecloth into a 6-inch square, place lavender in the center, and tie into a bundle with kitchen twine.

2. Cook the jam: In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring lavender sachet, grape juice concentrate, and blueberries to a boil. Stir constantly to prevent burning until the berry mixture jells -- about 20 minutes. (To test whether mixture has jelled, place a teaspoonful on a plate and let cool to room temperature. Lightly touch the berry mixture with your finger to see if it has consistency of jelly. If not, continue to cook for 10 more minutes and check again by using the same test.) Cover and steep for 2 hours.

3. Store the jam: Remove the lavender sachet and discard. Divide the jam between 2 pint jars. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month

Note: To modify it so I could can it I just simmered it with the lavender for 20 minutes than removed the lavender (which I had in a teaball). I also made one where I soaked the lavender overnight in the grape juice, yuck too much lavender.

o

Wow, what a package, everything sounds wonderful.

Karen, you will love the huckleberry lotion and all of the homemade goodies. I know because Katie was my first swap partner and she packs a really, really good box.

Those potatoe chips and soup mix sound good.

Enjoy!

o

oooh, I LOVE all the homemade stuff - how wonderful!Enjoy all this great stuff Karen.

What a thoughtful package, Katie.

Stacy

o

Wow, what a great box. So how was the Cabernet? I'm sure it made your evening great. I love the sound of the blueberry lavender jam and the recipe is small enough that even I might be able to try it without being overwhelmed by the whole canning thing. Everything from "The Kitchens of Katie" sounds delicious.

Yum, enjoy your treats Karen.

Lee

o

Karen I know you are going to enjoy all those goodies. Katie, you did a great, fun box! What's not to like when you send things made by you.

Nancy

o

Homemade stuff rules Karen. It all sounds so good. Katie your mini themes are all super. I'm going to be up in Washington state next spring and I'll be sure and try some huckleberry jam (and a jillion other things).

o

Glad there was something truly wonderful to brighten up your day. Wow - all those canned goodies. I appreciate all the work that goes into them now!

o

Thank you for the recipe!

o

Wow! That's one edible box! Everything sounds unique and interesting. AND delicious! How cool to have that homemade bounty, too. You are one lucky swap-ee.

Enjoy your goodies!
Marcia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here