SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinkateb

Looking for info on my partner to be

robinkateb
17 years ago

Okay, so I am excited to be taking part in another swap and I thought we could start the thread were we tell our partner a little about ourselves. Should keep some of us off the streets while we wait for assignments. I am going to include some info I will need from my swap partner.

So first please tell us a little about yourself and your eating and cooking style. Who lives with you, favorite colors, hobbies etc.

Then, I would like to know your favorite cookbook. Types of cookbooks you always look at. Do you like to write in your cookbooks when you find you need to alter a recipe to make it work or do you believe books should not be written in?

Now a little canned goods questionnaire LOL, remember many folks in this swap can so even if I am not your partner this could be very important...

Do you like jam?

Do you like jelly?

Do you like marmalade?

Do you like pickles?

Do you like spicy food?

What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like?

Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person?

-Robin

Comments (89)

• wizardnm
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

>So first please tell us a little about yourself and your eating and cooking style. Who lives with you, favorite colors, hobbies etc.

It's just Kim and I and our dog, Roxie. Roxie seems to be as much of a foodie as Kim and I. My colors are dark taupe with peach/salmon and soft green accents at least for now. We are talking about a total redo, but the kitchen/ living are won't get done until some other major projects do. My style leans toward contemporary. I love hand made pottery and have a growing collection mostly collected from art shows. I'm lucky to live in a very artsy area and we have more art shows than I have time to attend. I love to oil paint on canvas and would love to do some art shows myself. I've been saying this forever it seems like....never enough time.

>Then, I would like to know your favorite cookbook. Types of cookbooks you always look at. Do you like to write in your cookbooks when you find you need to alter a recipe to make it work or do you believe books should not be written in?

I love all kinds of cookbooks, the last time I counted I had over 650 of them! Time to weed out! But I still keep adding to the collection....I'm on auto ship with Cooks Illustrated and Southern Living. I've recently cut back on the mags...I just get Fine Cooking and Cooks Illustrated now. I really like cookbooks that go in depth into a particular area rather than general cookbooks. I read cookbooks like a novel.
    I love to bake and really have gotten into different breads and pastries. Artisian breads are a focus at the moment. But I love all types of cookies, desserts and I also like to do home canning. I've been staying out of the book stores the last few years so other than my auto ships I'm really not up to date.
    I'm not into Middle Eastern cooking but I am in Thai, Chinese and Mexican. I have always loved French and American cooking.
    I have no problem with writing in my cookbooks, it's the only wat I can remember what adjustments I've made or what I might want to try in the future.

> Jam/preserves over jelly and I do like marmalade's. I work at American Spoon Foods and have my own plus some of theirs...but I'm always open to new creations.
    > I'm NOT a pickle person
    > Love spicy foods
    > Love fruits!!!! My very favorite at the moment is mango's but I really love it all. Least favorite is grapefruit.
    > Definite sweet tooth!

No allergies and I love fragrances. The old Claire Burke Applejack and Peel is my winter favorite for the house. Lily of the Valley is my favorite floral. Patchouli is another fav....

Nancy

• weed30 St. Louis
    17 years ago

I have two dogs, Taco and Maggie, who let me live in this house with them. Sometimes I am even allowed up on the bed.

I love bright colorsâ¦.lime green, orange, turquoise, periwinkle, purple, coral, not so big on the red. (I don't know how my last kitchen turned out so sedate!) The kitchen in my new house is currently unloved, and needs a good facelift. I haven't decided on a definite color scheme yet, but it will be happy and bright.

My cooking style is varied; I tend to do most everything on the cooktop, and only use the oven for pizza or roasts. I love sweets, but rarely bake, for the very reason that I love sweets, and will eat anything I do bake until Iâm sick ;)

Cookbooks: I am not a 'collector' like many here. I have at most a dozen cookbooks. Joy of Cooking and How To Cook Everything by Bittman for the basics, then some cuisine specific books like The Taste of Mexico by Quintana. Hints: I love Thai and Vietnamese, and since reading Sally2's post, I'm Jonesing for "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone". I love veggies, but a lot of veg cookbooks are too healthy and 'tofu inspired' ;) That book sounds wonderful. I don't have any subscriptions, because I get Gourmet and Bon Apetit free at work!

Canny stuff: I like everything except veggies that are easily available fresh, e.g., green beans. My SIL canned green beans, and they were ok, but just notâ¦.fresh.

Jewelry: Oh, boy. I am the Jewelry Queen. I have a large collection of vintage jewelry, most from my mom, but also from estate sales, garage sales & ebay. Rhinestones, thermoset, crystalâ¦love them all! Outside of vintage, I like silver, and the ones I buy tend to be on the smaller side - big hoops or heavy earrings bug me. My ears are pierced, but I also wear clips because of the vintage thing.

I am pretty picky about scents for my body, but candles are fine. Like someone posted earlier, I don't care for candles that smell like food, but the rest are good.

Love dill or bread and butter pickles, not a lover of the sweet.

Love spicy food!

The only fruit I don't like are canned cherries. They scare me.

I definitely have a sweet tooth, but love savory too. I'm not picky at all when it comes to food! The only thing I cannot eat, (and don't like anyway), are green bell peppers. Any other pepper is fine.

• Related Discussions

looking for info on my 1864 cub cadet

Q

Comments (2)
    The 1864 uses the Command-18, aka CH-18. You can download the manual from Kohler if you wish. You can order a complete factory service manual set for the tractor from C&G (www.cngco.com) for around $50. They can also provide you with any parts you may need. The 1864 is NOT hard to get parts for. It's the top-end of Cub's non-super garden tractors of that era, and are one of the best ever made. Heavy frames, heavy-duty Sustrand Hydro's, etc... There is nothing cheaply built about this tractor. -Larry
    ...See More

Looking for a business partner?

Q

Comments (11)
    here is what I get from Chicago Joe My name is Joe and I live right in the middle of the wonderful city of Chicago in a neighborhood called Roscoe Village. Please email me if you would like to discuss this opportunity at josephvaldes@yahoo.com now Roscoe Village has zip code of 60618. I have worked Google. he says he lives in chicago neighborhood zip code would be 60618. he says he owns a house. I find no Joe Valdes or Joseph Valdes in chicago 60618. no phone listed or unlisted. no property in his name. here is the message I get back. Your search for "valdes, joseph" near "60618" did not match any results. I also tried joe valdes. nothing. Now google might have let me down. but I have always been successful before. so to me it looks like more and more evidence that it is not a good idea for a farmer to partner up with this person. now spygrrl I know you read what he wrote. but that does not mean that what he wrote is the truth. I have tried to verify some of what he says. with no luck. he claims to have a solid education and an MBA but he misspelled words and does not use good english sentence structure. I believe a college graduate would spell better than what is presented here. So I find not one single piece of evidence in his favor. I can not verify that anything that he has said is the truth. who is this person. I dont know. now spygrrl. you say. He is a retail partner with one of the top restauranteurs in Chicago I ask you how do you know this. do you know this person face to face personally. or where did you get this information. it is not in his profile. can I ask you with due respect. is spygrrl and chicago_Joe one and the same person with 2 different names.
    ...See More

WANTED: My partner's fuzzy math scores 100!

Q

Comments (44)
    I visit Oregon whenever possible - it is defintely one of the most beautiful states. The cheeseboard is stunning, as is the quilting. Everything looks great. From what I can tell, the Ina Garten books will be fantastic also, although I've never seen her. I tried to get one of her videos for this swap on eBay but got outbid. The tooth pillow is too adorable! Lars
    ...See More

My partner treats me so bad , but I love him, how do I fix us?

Q

Comments (7)
    We have a few addicts in our family. You probably know these things, but in case you don't... The first things drugs do is destroy a person's conscience. Right and wrong mean nothing to an addict--they only care about finding the money for their next fix. Addicts lie. MOST of the time. NO ONE can 'fix' an addict or their relationship with one. As long as you're trying to help him (paying for life's essentials, letting him get away with abusing you, etc), YOU are keeping him an addict. Most addicts really don't change. The few who do usually do so only after they've totally hit rock bottom. Helping him as you are, is keeping him from deciding to get the real help he needs. Look, as the others have said, YOU cannot fix this problem. All you really can do is save yourself. Get out. Take some time to heal, and find a real man, who truly loves you, and won't abuse you physically, verbally and financially. And just in case those words don't help you make up your mind--are you prepared to go to jail for this man? If the police find drugs in the car while YOU'RE driving it, YOU could be charged with the crime. And do you really believe this guy would step up and claim ownership of them to get you out of trouble? I doubt it. Whatever else you decide to do, please start squirrelling money away for the legal fees you no doubt will be paying sometime in the future, because one or the other of you will probably need to be bailed out and defended at some point
    ...See More
  • robinkateb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As we have more people participating in this swap then replies to the thread some folks have not responded. Please answer as soon as possible so your partner can start to shop.

Also, do folks like chocolate and if so what kind.

-Robin

• ann_t
    17 years ago

It is just Moe and I and a few four legged friends. Does this Cooking Forum count as a hobby? My hobby has always been cooking.

My style of cooking is to cook whatever I feel like eating. And I like to bake. I bake bread at least twice a week. But we are boring. We both prefer just good plain Italian or French breads.

I haven't bought many cookbooks lately because I have such a large collection of them. But I love Cookbooks, especially ones with pictures. I didn't use to care about pictures but now I take more of an interest in the photos and the presentations. LOL!. I also write in cookbooks.

I'm one of those strange people who does not like jams/jellies. Even as a kid I never wanted jam on bread or in cookies. Just never cared for it.

Do you like spicy food? I like curries and Mexican foods. But I don't like BBQ sauces.

What are your favorite fruits? I'm not a real big fruit eater but I will eat some fresh fruit when it is in season.

Do you have a strong sweet tooth or are you more of a savory person?

Yes and No. It just depends. I love savory things that are suppose to be savory and sweet things that are suppose to be sweet. Which means I don't like fruit or sweets sauces with meats. And I love good Milk chocolate.

Now Moe on the other hand, he will eat all of the things that I don't care for. Except he doesn't like sweet with his meat either.

Ann

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    17 years ago

I love chocolate. Bittersweet mostly but I like milk chocolate, too. I have a big sweet tooth but I like savory. I'm not being too helpful here but maybe it'll be easier to tell you, I like mostly everything except raisins, lima beans, eggplant and asparagus! and I'm allergic to seafood! I like any kind of cookbook! I can spend hours in the bookstore in the cookbook section just looking!

Do you like jam? yes
    Do you like jelly? yes
    Do you like marmalade? yes
    Do you like pickles? yes
    Do you like spicy food? yes, very much!
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? I don't like raisins at all. I love lemon anything!
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? I like both.

• shaun
    17 years ago

So first please tell us a little about yourself and your eating and cooking style. Who lives with you, favorite colors, hobbies etc.

I am married to Lou, an Italian guy who loves his pasta. We have a son 9 yrs old and a dog and a cat, Ricky and Lucy.

Then, I would like to know your favorite cookbook. Types of cookbooks you always look at. Do you like to write in your cookbooks when you find you need to alter a recipe to make it work or do you believe books should not be written in?

I love cookbooks with lots of pics! I like Rachel Ray very much and I love cookbooks with 5 or less ingredients. Or cookbooks that use everyday things, like Biscuick or soups. Love them!

Now a little canned goods questionnaire LOL, remember many folks in this swap can so even if I am not your partner this could be very important...

Do you like jam? yes
    Do you like jelly? yes
    Do you like pickles? yes
    Do you like spicy food? yes
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? Love them all.
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? Depends - sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you dont!

• deanna1949
    17 years ago

Um, I hate writing about myself, but here goes. My husband and I are empty-nesters, although I baby-sit with 2 DGDs, 4 yrs. & 3 mons. I also give private voice and piano lessons in the evening. Therefore I don't have a lot of time to cook or bake like I'd like to do. I usually save my new recipes for the weekends when DS and DD and their families come to visit. It's, like, "Uh-oh, Mom's trying a new recipe on us again." But they're willing guinea pigs, thank goodness.

I've included a link to my new kitchen. We've lived here 15 months, and it's still delightful. Most of my basic info is available on My Page.

I'm very fond of jams, jellies, marmalades, etc., etc. I have canned many times in the past but I don't do much these days. I like sweets and savory, but the really hot stuff is low on the list of favorites. I'm extremely fond of sweets, but I am trying to cut back right now (40-year class reunion next spring. LOL)

I have quite a few cookbooks. I especially like the collections (like from church groups, Junior League, etc.) And books that have historical or geographical or artistic stories are my favorites. Since I'm not able to travel much anymore, I enjoy reading about other places. I get Paula Deen's magazine and the Baking Sheet from King Arthur, but I love most magazines and like to read.

I don't wear much jewelry or use fragrance in the house. And no food allergies here. I'm really very easy to please.

• lindainct
    17 years ago

Other threads that have been brought ttt have lots of basic info about me (and lots of others too.) Thanks for doing that.

As for chocolate - love it, any kind.

Like most everyone else, I love cookbooks and when I get a new one I read it like a novel. I find pictures helpful and especially like cookbooks that have anecdotes about each recipe. I also write in them when I make adjustments and sometimes put in a post-it note when I need to remind myself about more detailed instructions. I enjoy Ina Garten and books about entertaining. I subscribe to several food magazines and don't think I could keep up with another.

I have pierced ears - just one hole in each.

Prefer lighter scents.

Do you like jam, jelly? yes and I make ALOT but am always interested in something different.
    Do you like pickles? yes
    Do you like spicy food? If not too hot
    What are your favorite fruits? Bananas and pineapples and anything lemon but like most everything.
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? Both

Not allergic to anything.

I hope that covers everything, but, most importatly, swap partner do not stress. I've loved every box I've received and I know I will enjoy what ever you select.
    Linda

• traceys
    17 years ago

I'm mostly a SAHM to an almost 10 year old boy and almost 2 year old girl. Oh my husband's here too. I like most colors except purple. I've got a lot of blues and greens in the house but, my kitchen is pretty neutral. I don't seem to have a lot of time for hobbies but I have been able to can a few things this year. I really enjoy that. I also enjoy baking.

My cooking style right now is pretty simple. I just need to get food on the table. My daughter doesn't seem to like it when I'm in the kitchen cooking. I've been making things that go together quickly. Sometimes after she goes to bed I'll cook or bake something that takes some more time.

I love cookbooks but don't have too many. I don't have a favorite. I always look at them but hardly ever buy them. I've never written in a book. I do make notes and put it between the pages if I've altered the recipe.

I don't currently subscribe to any cooking magazines. I used to get Bon Appetit and Gourmet.

Do you like jam? Yes
    Do you like jelly? Yes
    Do you like marmalade? Yes
    Do you like pickles? Yes
    Do you like spicy food? Yes

What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? I love peaches and cherries. I don't like raisins at all.

Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? Both. It depends on my mood.

The only one here with an allergy is my son. He's allergic to bananas.

I have pierced ears but, I haven't worn earrings in about 25 years.

I don't like most scents because they trigger migraines but, the candy apple candle Terri sent in the last swap sounded wonderful.

See as usual I'm easy.

Tracey

• brenda55
    17 years ago

It's just me, DH and 4-yo DGD that we are raising. We moved to SA about 6 months ago. I work part time from my home. We are involved, although limited, in a couple of Thai food restaurants my BIL and SIL own. The past several years I hit a lull in my cooking and I am trying to reinvent it and serve something that doesn't start with Del Monte! I love trying new things. I am a lousy breakmaker; in fact, I could shellac some of my rolls and offer them as paper weights. As far as favorite colors, I am doing some decorating using sage and white.

My favorite cookbook is "The Best of Southern Living". I have most all of the Southern Living annual recipes, Taste of Home and Quick Cooking cookbooks, plus regional and organizational ones. I subscribe to Southern Living, Taste of Home and Quick Cooking magazines, also. I love regional cookbooks, organizational cookbooks also. I write in my cookbooks.

Do you like jam? Yes
    Do you like jelly? Do you like marmalade? Yes, Yes
    Do you like pickles? Love pickles and relishes. I do limited canning, using water bath method only, afraid of the pressure canner.
    Do you like spicy food? Yes, although not real hot
    What are your favorite fruits? All
    Any you do not like?
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? Both
    My DGD has an allergy to chocolate and nuts, so we try and steer clear of those in our home.
    My ears are pierced, and I wear earrngs only when going out socially. I have a metal allergy and must wear only gold jewelry(well, my husband bought that line for 30 years now)(seriously, have to have gold).

I love candles, all kinds.

Don't worry about this, have fun and I'll love anything.

Brenda

• finally
    17 years ago

Here goes!

Our family is me, DH, 2 DDs (19 & 17), DS (14) and DDoggy. As you can imagine, with teens coming and going, it's a hectic pace. We do eat dinner together pretty much every night though! While I like to cook, I LOVE to bake! We BBQ fairly often too. Our kitchen has cream cabinets with Verde Butterfly (dark green) granite and black and stainless appliances. It opens onto a great room decorated with taupe, dark red and a mossy-green color. My hobbies (when will I have time for those again!?!) are knitting and quilting. I love to shop too--can that be a hobby? I'm an engineer and also do some work in web design.

While I don't have one favorite, I love cookbooks with photos of the dishes. If I think something needs to be tweaked, I do write my notes in books and also will write the date we had it. I also have begun "starring" the recipes I've made in the index to help me find the "perfect recipe for polenta". (Now which cookbook was that in again? Am I getting old?) No one is a picky eater, but we do have someone with nut/legume/sesame allergy that keeps us away from many asian stlye foods.

My canning experience is all jam/jelly related in a water bath canner. My last swap partner (girlsingardens) showered me with some delicious goodies that she made and some fun canning supplies.

Do you like jam? Do you like jelly? Do you like marmalade?

Yes, Yes and Yes!!! Jam on toast with nice hot coffee is the perfect start to my day!

Do you wear jewelry?

I always wear earrings and a watch, and occasionally a necklace. Even though I'm tall, I have small bones, so small scale jewelry is what works.

Do you have pierced ears?

Yes

What scents do you like for your body or your home?
    I like simple scents, but don't really do candles. DH has been to too many fires in homes started by unattended candles. I don't wear scents often either.

Do you like pickles?

Absolutely!

Do you like spicy food?

Well, yes but I'm wimpy on the spiciness scale. I can't handle anything too hot.

I like pretty much all fruit EXCEPT bananas (allergy).

Definitely a strong sweet tooth. Can't do savory in the morning, but later in the day is fine. While I've never met a chocolate I didn't like (oops--no white chocolate for me please!) dark chocolate is my favorite!

Whew! After all those questions, here's one important fact about me: I'm not at all picky, and would love anything you send me!

Dolores

• jimtex
    17 years ago

I live with my wife Jeanne in a small town between Houston and Galveston Texas. We always get a kick out of getting something from a completely different area. We do spicy, sweet and everything in between. As far as cookbooks go, pick one you like, that's the one we want.
    James

• lori316
    17 years ago

Sorry to my partner for not doing this sooner!

About me and my family:

DH and I have three children together, 14, 11, and 5. I have two step-sons. All kids are boys except the "baby".

We're pretty casual at our house. My kitchen is decorated in a rustic style (as is much of my house). The colors are mainly fall colors. During the week, our meals are pretty sad, LOL. Lots of fast stuff, POOF-type meals, since we keep busy with sports and other kid-oriented activities. I do manage to bake most nights, though.

I do most of my cooking on the weekends. We especially like Italian meals. I love, love to bake. We all have a sweet tooth. I enjoy making homemade bread, pies, cakes, cookies...whatever.

I have very few cookbooks. I love cookbooks with pictures, especially if it's an elaborate recipe. I like cookbooks with recipes that taste great but also make an impressive presentation. We eat very healthy meals so that we can enjoy our treats.

I do tend to write in cookbooks sometimes. Or at least use a sticky. When I make something new, I ask each family member to rate the recipe and I write that on a sticky. That way when somebody has a special occasion, I can plan a meal I know they'll love.

The canning questions: (I'm so impressed with those of you who do this!!!)

We like jams, jellies and marmalades. We're not big pickle eaters. We absolutely like spicy - within reason. LOL

I love bananas, apples, strawberries, raspberries, oranges. I am allergic to many other citrus fruits, though: pineapple, mangoes, coconut (as well as shellfish).

We love all nuts.

I wear earings and sometimes a necklace. My ears are pierced. I don't usually wear any scents, although I do like to burn a food-flavored candle or vanilla one.

I've never received a swap package I didn't love, so please enjoy and don't stress!

• debbie814
    17 years ago

I hope that my partner will post to this thread soon :-)

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Me too Debbie, Me too. I have all sort of unanswered questions. I have lots of ideas and just need a little direction.

-Robin

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

I'm easy. Please don't spread it around too much ;)
    Married for 11 years with a just turned 3-year-old tiny tyrant (my son). We have 2 cats (brothers) that think they own the house. I am a career girl turned sahm. Since my ds just started nursery school I joined a gym and love it. I tend to start things and be very manic about it and then not finish...I admit it! I just started hooking a rug I began in 2000. It's a Christmas scene - keep your fingers crossed that this will be the year!
    Besides music and travel, cooking has been a constant passion in my life. I get enormous satisfaction "providing" balanced and exciting meals for my family (most nights! lol). I enjoy challenging myself and bread baking is becoming a true love of mine. It's a real "food of love" thing I guess. I don't own many cookbooks and really any type would be welcome. I like recipes that look beautiful, are easy to entertain with, and above all are not fussy. I just discovered Jacques Pepin's fast food my way (?) series. That is me! I love Ina Gartner and Lydia Bastonivich.

Jam, jelly, marmalade - it is all good to me whether it is sweet, savory, or spicy.
    I wear jewelry and although I have "good" pieces I tend to favor funky costume jewelry.
    I don't like floral scents but the smell of freshly mown grass is good! My current lotion has a ginger scent and I love candles that smell homey (to me!) like sugar cookie or apple spice (think food or spices!). I have washabi ginger one going now!
    Hmmm...What else was asked????....I like all fruit and love chocolate...my home is earthy colors. I am rocking the orange right now but think I might start accenting the kitchen with some red...
    Well, hope this help! Honestly, I like changing things up so anything someone took time to send me would be a delight. Really. Now, don't tell my dh I'm easy :D

• Virginia7074
    17 years ago

OK, here goes. I live in northern VA, about 25 mi. northwest of DC, with my DH (who's retired) and my 21-year-old son and 19-year-old daughter. DS is on a "sabbatical" from school and works full-time for the local NFL team, which he loves. DD goes to community college and works part-time at a crafts store. I work in a middle school, in the computer lab. Also in residence are an elderly half-Bassett Hound, half-German Shepherd dog and an Abbysinian cat.

I enjoy cooking and love trying new recipes. DH is Indian, so we like Indian and almost all ethnic foods (not big on Ethiopian though - sorry). Right now, I'm trying to cook mainly healthy, low-fat, whole grain, lots of vegetables, fruits, fish, lean meats, etc. DH has lost weight and I've lost less, but am trying to control my cholesterol and BP through diet and exercise, which I know works but is just so boring.

I just subscribed to Eating Well magazine and think it's a keeper. I also made my virgin trip to Penzey's this summer, where I bought an issue of "One" and thought that was a keeper, too.

I love to bake and experiment. I tried croissants a couple of weeks ago, but they were more like Parkerhouse rolls and not all like Ann T.'s! I'll keep trying, though. My favorite fall meal is one like we had tonight - homemade vegetable soup and homemade whole wheat bread. I also just got back into growing my own sprouts - alfalfa and mung bean, so far.

I have quite a few cookbooks, but would have a hard time picking a favorite. Julia Child's "The Way to Cook" and "Baking with Julia" are up there. I also still love my first cookbook ever - the Fanny Farmer Cooking School cookbook. I also love regional cookbooks - you know, those Jr. League types. I have a couple of good PA Dutch ones that I couldn't part with.

I am a really boring decorater, I'm afraid, If I were to remodel my kitchen, as I badly need to, I would probably keep the white cabinets and tan tile floor, but the rest would go. I do like earth tones and the rest of my house is various shades of beige, taupe, putty, brown, wheat and sage.

Jams, jellies, marmalades, pickles, chutnies, conserves - I like them all. I admired all of you who canned this summer, as I haven't canned anything in quite a few years. I did grow up on a farm and canning is in my blood, but all my supplies are in the attic.

I do, unfortunately, have a sweet tooth. I take after my dad, who never met a pie he didn't like. That said, if there was one thing I could absoutely not give up, it would be dark chocolate.

I like most savory snacks, too, with the possible exception of Wasabi peanuts - just way too hot.

Like all fruits, fresh and dried and am, thankfully, not allergic to anything.

I do wear jewelry and have pierced ears.

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

Sorry for the delay in posting -- I don't see my partner here either, so I guess several of us are a bit late to the game.

I live with my DH, and two elementary school aged boys, and a little poodle/shitzu mix who we chose because of my kids' allergies--neither my DH nor I had experience with small dogs and were a little uncertain about this venture--but it has turned out wonderful and he is probably more spoiled than my children (they would agree.)

I love all types of Ethnic foods, my favorites are Mexican and Chinese, my kids love Italian. I don't eat red meat, but do eat poultry and seafood. I really want to like spicy but I'm a whimp. My DH likes it though. I like all vegetables except for squash. I prefer milk chocolate to dark chocolate.

I love color, and am currently trying to figure out how to redo my kitchen in Mexican colors and would like to somehow incorporate a periwinkle and rust color - I love bright colors and earth tones, not much of a pastel person. I don't like cutesy things with ducks or hearts. I like things that are a bit eccentric, and things that make me laugh.

Aside from cooking, my hobbies are reading, gardening (I just recently started a compost pile, whoee), quilting, volunteering, and being a spectator at my boys sporting events.
    I have subscribed to many cooking magazines in the past but have been letting them expire because I was running out of time to read them - I subscribed to Bon Appetit for 20 years but finally let that expire because I realized I don't cook like that anymore -- I think they have wonderful recipes but they tend to be higher in fat than what I normally cook aside from cooking for special occasions. My current favorite is probably Cuisine at Home and Eating Well, which are the only two I currently subscribe to. I would like some new soup recipes.

I occasionally wear earrings but I have an allergy to metal so I don't wear them often. I wear watches with a leather or beaded band, and I do like and can wear casual, beaded bracelets.

I don't like perfumes. For my home I prefer natural scents - pine, bayberry, eucalyptus, cinnamon. I don't like fruit scents.

Do you like jam? Yes
    Do you like jelly? Not especially
    Do you like marmalade? Not really
    Do you like pickles? Yes!

I like cherries, cantaloupe, and raspberries the most, but I like all fruit. The only exception would possibly be bananas - I only like them when they are just turning from green to yellow and I don't like anything that is banana flavored, other than bread.

Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? I like both.

I think I answered everything -- please don't worry, I'm easy to please and will be happy with whatever you send. (unless it's pigs feet ;0)

• triciae
    17 years ago

After reading through all the posts, I'm realizing I didn't give much info on my first try so...here's a second attempt to fill-in some blanks.

I LOVE cookbooks. The reason I don't have many is that I won't purchase them for myself and nobody ever gives me one as a gift. My favorites are old-timers that I inherited from my Mom and her sister. They date to the mid-1940's. I learned to cook from them and still return for TT comfort type foods. I much prefer baking over fixing dinner but am trying to expand my cooking, thanks to this Forum. I've also got a Shaker bookbook that I love. I'm a history buff so would love a book about the history of cooking/food...maybe, it would have a recipe or two to meet the category requirement??? :)

We keep a food storage program so I've always got most every staple you can imagine on hand. But, I don't have a lot of speciality type items. I can't make a quick trip to the store for an odd-ball ingredient...limits what I cook. I guess you could say I am a PA Dutch type of cook?

I love earthy, hefty pottery pieces to cook with. Our every day dinnerware is Bennington Pottery. I must have over 100 pieces of it. I often joke that I would have made a good American colonial type of cook. As an example, I do not use molds for things like steamed puddings. I use muslin bags. I took an open-hearth cooking class at Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth, NH that I loved.

I'm not a modern, stainless steel type of person. There's not a single SS mixing bowl in my kitchen. They are all old redware, spatter, or yellow-ware. They weigh a ton but I love holding them in my hands. I prefer to shop for kitchen things at an antique mall over William-Sonoma.

Please don't be afraid to buy me something old, used, and even a little chipped/cracked if it's still serviceable and beautiful. Even my wooden spoons, I purchased used at an auction decades ago. I guess my kitchen is a stark contrast in some ways because I've also got an Electrolux 'Assistant' & Cuisinart FP but those are my only electrics and couldn't think of any others I'd want. We do not even own a toaster...I toast bread in my oven. Oops, forgot...I've got a 15 year old immersion blender I got free from somewhere and an 8-tray dehydrator I've had over 20 years.

I'm really trying to learn to cook on our boat. It's a serious challenge for me. For instance, no pasta. It's too dangerous to have the huge pot of boiling water on a rocking, rolling boat. I've got a safety bar on the stove but it's not gimbled. Also, not a lot of cutting/chopping...same reason...it's dangerous to be using large knives in rough sea conditions. I've got a side-by-side frig/freezer onboard so I've been doing a lot of make-ahead stuff that I just need to reheat. I'd really enjoy doing more creative freshly made stuff underway...don't have any shipboard cookbooks. My marina friends are not really cooks so they think I'm nuts. They're happy with tuna salad sammies 3 meals a day! lol

I love table linens and always use cloth napkins/tablecloths. I'd enjoy a set of napkins in colors. Because I buy only used stuff...all of mine are white or off-white. Guess they didn't think to make red tablecloths 150 years ago! :) Red & purple are my favorite colors but I also love all of the earthy colors as well. I'm absolutely NOT a pastel person. I enjoy vibrant, saturated, rich colors.

I could sure use some new hotpads. I only own two thick and very old terrycloth ones that I got from King Arthur many moons ago. They are a disgrace! Even bleach doesn't help anymore...lol (Hand-made would be great!)

Also, my favorite solid spatula is falling apart. The wood handle's rivets are loose and wiggly and one of these days soon it's going to let go. It's my fav one 'cause it's my ONLY one! Can't think of how a spatula fits into handmade or local though...?

I'm a bread baker. That's probably my largest culinary accomplishment. I've worked very hard for decades to become proficient and folks tell me I should open a bakery. I spend way too much of my cooking time fiddling around with artisan breads. I love blending different flours to see what a diff it makes in taste/aroma, etc. I also experiment with diff shaping techniques to achieve very different bread textures. I just love making bread. It's satisfying my soul like no other type of cooking. I would love a pound of flour from a small, organic mill. (That would classify as homemade wouldn't it, Ann?)

Well, hope some of this helps for my partner. The thing to remember is that the more old-fashioned something is the more I'll probably enjoy it. Presents are so cool...I'm usually the one buying presents so I can hardly wait for my swap box to arrive. I know I'll be like a kid on Christmas morning!

Tricia

• alison
    17 years ago

Whew, there's nothing like searching for info on your swap partner to make oyu realize you haven't posted yourself! So here goes:

You, yourself and your eating and cooking style: Its just me and the cray Siamese at home. I work for a radio station, so my hours are unpredictable. Dinner is just as likely to be fast food or a can of corn as a balanced meal served on a plate in the dining room. (Actually, its more likely to be fast food or a can of corn!)

I do like to cook (and bake to a lesser degree) and I do "big cooking" on the weekend or for the folks at work. (We do a lot of potlucks!) One of the best things I ever bought on Ebay is a FoodSavr vaccum sealer. I always have a nice selection of frozen lunch items at work.

My mother calls my dining room "the great room". Not because its large (11x12) but because its where I do everything eat, watch TV, do crafts, etc. While I dont actually own this Charles Rennie Mackintosh piece, I have the print framed over the mantel, and the dining room is all done in these colors; green, cobalt blue, oak tones and pewter. (Did you know you can get pewter spray paint? Outstanding!)

I love to garden, and altho my garden is not much bigger than my apartment, I have a wide selection of herbs and some veggies, like peas, lettuce and tomatoes, where the taste is so much better than store-bought its worth the space. I also use flowers in cooking; roses, nasturiums, bean flowers, calendula, violets, daylilies so theyre almost like veggies!

Im also a huge hockey fan, but other than trying to concoct the perfect "Blue Jackets" drink (and frying smelts the nights I watch the games on TV) hockey really hasnt figured prominently into my cooking/eating. (But once I perfect the "Zherdev blintz" the Rick Nash fritter, and my Gilbert "Crème" Brule Ill have the perfect Sunday hockey brunch!)

Your favorite cookbook: I have a number of cookbooks, but I spend most of my time flipping thru the 5-6 looseleaf binders I have filled with recipes Ive torn out of magazines, printed off the web (no computer at home) or copied from other people.

A little canned goods questionnaire: Ive never done proper canning, with a water bath and all, but I periodically put up simple jam and fruit buters in the summer when the world is flooded with fruit. I like jam; not so much jelly; and most of the maremlade Ive had is a little too bitter for me.

Jewelry: A good friend of mine, and older Southern woman, once told me that a true lady doesnt appear in public without earrings. So Im always dressed! I have pierced ears and a pierced navel. (Dont tell my mom!)

Scents for your body or home: I love scent! I like scented candles, and I make a lot of herb pillows, bath salts, etc. I prefer light spicy scents to heavy floral stuff.

Pickles Yep!

Spicy food: I like spicy, complex flavours, but not really hot. (Altho as I get older and burn out my taste buds Im becoming more tolerant!)

Favorite fruits: I love them all, especially berries. I even love bananas even tho Im a little bit allergic.

Sweet tooth or savory tastes: More savory than sweet. I cant do anything sweeter than an apple in the morning, altho I rarely refuse chocolate or toffee!

That said -- I like pretty much everything I've ever gotten in a swap, and I've gotten lots of pretty things!

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If my partner want to see my dream kitchen just look at Deanna's kitchen she supplied a link to. it is kitchens like that I am always drawn to in magazines. has it been in a magazine yet?

-Robin

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

I share my place with Lucy (Dane) and Chuck (cat). Live on the lake in a old fieldstone cabin that is solid Knotty Pine on the interior. My weekday cooking is pretty simple as I commute 65 miles to and from work. Weekends you will find me baking, or entertaining a friends and family. I just started canning this year and I've really come to enjoy that too. Major cooking revolves around family events, Holidays, and parties. I have plenty of all of the above giving me many opportunities to cook and or bake.

Color wise anything will work for the most part. I have a collection of new, used, and antique at my place.

My favorite cookbook is How to Cook from Julia. I don't have a big collection of cookbooks.

Do you like jam?/yes
    Do you like jelly?/yes
    Do you like marmalade?/not sure
    Do you like pickles?/yes, dill and sweet
    Do you like spicy food?/yes
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? Don't like prunes,figs, and most dried fruit. Favorites would be strawberry and pineapple.
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person?/ Like them both but have a major thing for sweets.

Hope this helps a little bit. Bottom line, have fun!!

David

• olyharris
    17 years ago

Sorry, I'm a little behind on things, but here goes.

I live with my DH, two sons,(11 & 13), and two full sized sable collies.
    For California, our English Tudor house is old, (1926), we've spent the last several years restoring it. We put in a new kitchen a few years back, but I still cook on my 1910 stove. I love green, my granite is green and white, (looks more like marble), while my cabinets are white with a beadboard inset. We like vintage accessories.

Being greek, we love the flavors of the mediterranean.
    With my schedule though, most of my cooking is simple. I love to bake more than i like to cook. When i give a dinner party, I always start by planning dessert. One of my favorite flavors is lemon.. anything lemon.

I don't have a favorite cookbook, but the ones i most refer to have to do with pastry. The only magazine I subscribe to is Cooking Light- I think it's my attempt to feel less guilty about all the desserts I bake. I'm starting a 12 week baking course (only meets once a week) soon, and I'm very much looking forward to it. I would definitly consider myself to have a sweet tooth. I prefer dark chocolate over milk chocolate.

It's been years since I've done any canning - as far as jams etc, I eat it only when friends (like the Evil One) give it to me. Pickles I can take them or leave them.
    So-So on the spicy stuff. I prefer the smell of baking food to any artificial scents, although I do love Vanilla scented lotion! I love all fruits. Gee... I'm sounding kind of picky :)

I have gray hair (just to d... lazy to dye it), so I've been wearing more silver these days. I have pierced ears and I like to wear bracelets.

This is my first swap - I'm kind of nervous - I hope I've covered everthing.

Oly

• trixietx
    17 years ago

Just me and DH at home.

I like sweet, savory, jam, jellies, I like everything. We will try anything, or most anything.

I am a cookbookaholic and I love regional cookbooks. Wherever we go, I always buy a cookbook.

Don't stress, I am easy to please and will love what I receive!

Have fun.

• compumom
    17 years ago

We are empty nesters, but both kids live nearby. I cook, bbq and bake a little bit. Living in So. Cal we can bbq all year long and often for a quick meal it's the easiest. Our kitchen has cherry cabinets with Costa Esmerelda(think money green) granite and and stainless appliances.
    I work part time as a fundraiser and I also am supervising an endless remodel of the master suite. We recently took a trip to the Northern CA wine country and are learning to appreciate wine to a greater degree.

I have a number of cookbooks and my favorites vary from my kids nursery school community cookbook to a southern cookbook I picked up on a trip to Savannah. I'm bad about using all that I have, but I do write notes in my books and I also star the recipes I've made in the index to remind me which ones were keepers. I also use the Internet for inspiration and recipes. I have a fair amount of diet restrictions due to allergies such as nuts, beans and legumes, but DH will eat it all!
    I used to get Bon Appetit and Cooking Light, however currently I don't subscribe to any magazines. I would be wide open to one of the new mags that are talked about here, except for Penzey's.

We like jams, fruit butters, less so jelly, but I'm open minded!
    Spicy is good, however my heat tolerance is less than DH's.

I wear silver and gold jewelry, have pierced ears and usually wear small - medium hoops which go with my more tailored clothing style.

My canning experience iwas virtually nil. I learned for the first time at Canny Camp and so far have made a pretty tasty Habanero Gold Jelly!

Please no scented products. DH and I are somewhat sensitive to scents.

Do you like pickles?

Sometimes...again DH more than me. His favorite would be kosher dills.

I like pretty much all fruit EXCEPT kiwi and blackberries.

Definitely a strong sweet tooth. Dark chocolate is our favorite! We like savory too, but no surprise, sweet is my favorite!

I'm really excited to be a part of this swap and I've loved everything my previous partners have given me!

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Cutting and pasting from previous posts....

Ack my turn. Its me, DH and two boys, ages 12 and 14. And our rat, named Kitty.

We keep pseudo kosher - no pork or shellfish, please! We also dont mix milk and meats. If you send a meat product, it doesn't have to be kosher, but I'd appreciate a label check for butter, non-fat dry milk, etc. You can check with Dishesdone or Compumom for specific questions.

I don't drink too much alcohol so good wines are wasted on me. Ill take a taste to appreciate it, but prefer my guests finish it off. Im also not a fan of spicy or sour.
    I love condiments. Legallin had sent me some John Henrys Nedra D's Hickory Rub and I can't use enough of it! Then Lakeguys Head Country pushed that one to the back. LOL. I also love consumable regionals. Your canned goods will be appreciated, I promise.

I do have a Trader Joe's, Penzeys, and Cost Plus near me. But no real local artisan shops. I like funky contemporary serving pieces - my favorite color is cobalt blue, silver and white, and I lust for dichroic glass.

Since our electric bills are astronomical, Im trying to cook more stovetop (gas) and on our outdoor grill and less oven. DH teases me because I bought the Cuisinart Toaster Oven dang, that thing MUST use less electricity and it heats up much faster than our monster Wolf. It just irks him! Heh heh. Cookbooks etc: anything goes. I mostly use the CF and the net so feel free to expand on that category. Im picky about format: one recipe per page please, and if the book can be laid flat on a bookstand so I can actually COOK from it thats a plus! Alton Brown and Rachel Ray are types Im comfy with. Yeah, I know Rachel is grating, but I gotta get dinner on the table fast and simple most nights. Sigh.

I'll be happy with whatever I get, as long as I can brag 'my internet forum friend sent this to me!'

(I just got a tortilla press and I'm having fun with it too!)

• lorijean44
    17 years ago

Well..my turn:

So first please tell us a little about yourself and your eating and cooking style. Who lives with you, favorite colors, hobbies etc. My 22-y.o. son is now living with me again. We also have 2 little dogs that reside with us. My eating/cooking styles have devolved a bit since my divorce. Depending on when I get home from work and what DS' work schedule is that day, I'm just as likely to have a bowl of cereal or cheese & crackers for dinner. I still enjoy cooking, but am more apt to do that on the weekends. I like to cook just about anything and often try new recipes. My kitchen looks like

and
    , and
    , (though my oven is now black). I guess I would consider cooking my hobby (though admittedly I seem to be on a bit of a hiatus...)

Then, I would like to know your favorite cookbook. Types of cookbooks you always look at. Do you like to write in your cookbooks when you find you need to alter a recipe to make it work or do you believe books should not be written in? I love cookbooks and have lots. I rarely write in my cookbooks. I'd be hard-pressed to say what cookbook is my absolute favorite. I like different ones for different reasons. Some of my favorites are out-of-print, some aren't. My current additions to my cookbook collection tend to be regional cookbooks from wherever I happen to travel to, be it for work or pleasure.

Do you like jam? Yes,
    Do you like jelly? yes, and
    Do you like marmalade? yes.
    Do you like pickles? I gravitate towards bread & butter pickles, though DS' tastes are a bit more diverse in that department.
    Do you like spicy food? Yes.
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? I like most fruits - can't think of any I don't like.
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? I have no bias toward either sweets or savory! I'm an equal-opportunity craver! :-)

Lori

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

Profile:
    Its DH, two furbabies, and me. DH and I are very invovled in a youth organization (Tampa Mustangs). My kitchen theme is Tuscan with reds and golds I love to try new restaurants and new recipesthat I can tweak to make quickie. I love going to Dinner Done where you make your food ahead of time and freeze. I cheatI mean take liberties with the ingredients at the next prep station.

I love to travel. There is no TJ's in my state but there is one opening Oct 20 in Atlanta/Roswell--that's only 7.5 hrs. I love spices, sauces, marinades. I don't have allergies or earrings. Cookbooks:
    I pared down from 600+ to 400+ cookbooks. My favorite are targeted (Ex: Pumpkin recipes or Soups) and community cookbooks from places I visit.
    Do you like jam? Yes!! This indulgence causes me to consume too many carbs in the form of bagels, English muffins, and toast.
    Do you like jelly? Yes, see above. I am most fond of pepper jellies; I just checked and I currently have 9 different brands plus Annies habanero gold.
    Do you like marmalade? I love orange marmalade.
    Do you like pickles? Love pickles and olives. I like Wickles-hot and sweet.
    Do you like spicy food? You bet I do!
    What are your favorite fruits? I havent met a fruit that I didnt like.
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? I like a good balance of each.

Cathy/Mustangs

• dlundin
    17 years ago

Oh, heck, late to the dance...

It's my partner Vicki and I and four cats (that sounds so pathetic, doesn't it? The cat part... ). We have a citrusy orange and lime green kitchen.

I love canned goods... jams, jellies... Hot, sweet, doesn't matter... bring it on. I LOVE pickles. I LOVE spicy food. I prefer savory to sweet but it's maybe 65/35 split.

I prefer red to white wine and loathe chardonnay. We don't drink flavored coffees, just the strong, dark regular stuff. Hmm, what else? Cookbooks!

Love them. I love the regular series "Best American Recipes" edited by Fran McCullough that comes out every year. I also really like some restaurant cookbooks though some are a bit intimidating. My most recent favorite is "Sunday Suppers at Lucques" by Suzanne Goin.

Plus, I'm a fiend for regional items.

I know I'll appreciate anything that's sent my way!

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

Two of us here-- losalt & lo cholesterol --
    Any cookbook is a favorite
    I'm a canner
    Don't do spicy hot , flavored coffees , never met a tea I didn't like -- same with most wines.

• mer4205
    17 years ago

I love baking cookbooks and would love a Maida Heatter cookbook! I am currently keeping my eye out at the booksales.

It's me and the two dogs, Mimi and Puccini. I really love everything...including liver and anchovies. My kitchen is eclectic...I love color and things that are handmade...I collect pottery, hand made wooden utensils...I just picked up a beautiful birdseye maple stirring spoon from a art and craft fair...it's my new favorite spoon... I knit and quilt and dabble with paint.

Do you like jam? Yes, even raspberry preserves with seeds...
    Do you like jelly? yes
    Do you like marmalade? yes with cultured butter, especially on warm croissants
    Do you like pickles? yes - but no green peppers....
    Do you like spicy food? yes
    What are your favorite fruits? apples, pears, oranges, clementines, Any you do not like?
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? love chocolate but not into candy also love salty or herbed snacky things...
    Hot and spicy is fine too...mustards, chow chow, chutney...

-maria

• coronabarb
    17 years ago

I cook for myself and the two remaining kids at home. I bake as a stress release! I really like spicy food (I sprinkle fresh jalapenos on my food), especially Mexican, but will eat just about anything. I also like fish, Italian, BBQ, Chinese...

My snack preference tends to be more salty than sweet, chocolate being the one very BIG exception. I love mocha flavored anything. I love habanero or lime flavored potato chips (so I don't buy them, 'cause I'd EAT them, LOL)

No allergies

I don't like raw fish or snails

I do lots of baking, especially desserts, breads, and cookies.

I can't think of any fruit I don't like. I have two orange, two grapefruit, one lemon and one lime tree

I love any kind of jelly, jam, preserves, etc. I like pickled peppers but am so-so on regular type pickles.

My kitchen/front room has red and blue accents. It is country style with antiques, a wood burning stove, cast iron dutch ovens, Wedgewood stove, Raggedy Ann dolls, teapots, old books.

I don't need any more magazines ;-)

I love cookbooks...I don't have any of the ones you guys often talk about...the Joy of Cooking type ones. I mostly have dessert/Pillsbury BakeOff/cookie/bread ones and a few BBQ ones. I could use some good fish, soup, Mexican cookbooks. Heck, I'd love ANY cookbook. :-)))

I love Alton Brown

I'm caffeine intolerant so only decaf coffee and tea..I don't drink alcohol.

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

------------------------------------------------
    Mostly just my DH and I at home. Our daughter is in University in Halifax, our son is in University in Toronto but has his own apartment. Two cats , Maddie and Chase allow us to share their space.

Even though I mostly cook for two I love to cook for a gang. Our cottage is my greatest pleasure. I love it up there and that's where we do most of our entertaining. I don't really have a cooking style but I would have to say that I love making appetizers the most. I only bake under duress!

I'm also a hooker.....a rug hooker that is. I hook rugs in the traditional stlye , using hand cut strips of real wool.

----------------------------------------------------------

I love cookbooks of all types. I treat them like novels, reading them in the bath, in bed etc. I don't write in them but should. I think that would be neat for Meredith some day. My favourite cookbooks are Julia's Way to Cook and Mastering French Cooking 1 & 2....just love the way they are written. Next would be my Silver Plate books (Silver Palate and Good Times). I have a thing for Italian cuisine and have many Italian cookbooks I just love.

-------------------------------------------
    Do you like jam? so so
    Do you like jelly? savory jelly like Hot pepper jelly
    Do you like marmalade? no but Clive loves it.
    Do you like pickles? Love pickles
    Do you like spicy food? Love it
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? No I think I like most fruit although I'm not a big fruit eater
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? Oh I am savory for sure.....don't eat many sweets at all, I like them just don't crave them. Probably why I don't bake much!

Hope this is helpful, but to tell you the truth swap pal, anything you send me will be wonderful especially with three such neat categories.

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

------------------------------------------------

Its just usthe 6 of us! Me, DH and the kids! No pets, as I consider DH & kids pets enough for me! I like to cook "3 squares" a day, but lately, cooking has been hit or miss. I cant seem to get contractors out of the house! Ive been cooking some food for them, too, and Im beginning to think that was a big mistake! LOL! On weekends, I like to put more effort into a meal. During the week, Im a bit more rushed. I can prepare relatively decent meals earlier in the week. Later it the week, its mayhemstudying for Friday tests. Thursday dinners tend to be something VERY easy to cook and eat.

My favorite color is yellow.

HobbiesI love to cook and sew. Im also knee-deep into scrapbooking for my kids.
    ---------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I love all kinds of cookbooks. The ones Im going to mostly right now are my Julia Child and my Joy of Cooking. I used to NEVER write in the cookbook (a long-time carryover from being taught in school that we do not disrespect our books by writing in them). Then, hello, I finally figured out I would keep making the same "mistake," or forget an alteration I wanted to make, or whatever. Sticking notes in the books wasnt working for me. So, now I write in my books! I realized Im allowed to write in my own book! LOL!
    -------------------------------------------
    Do you like jam? so so
    Do you like jelly? savory jelly like HOT pepper jelly; also sour jellieslike sour cherry
    Do you like marmalade? no
    Do you like pickles? Love pickles!
    Do you like spicy food? Love it. I like eye-tearing, nose-running, ear-smoking HOT! DH likes medium hot. The kids like warm.
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? Were not big fruitiesthe basics, apples, bananas, oranges, grapes.
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? Savory! Salt and Pepper are probably my absolute favorite flavors, followed VERY closely by Lemon and Dark Chocolate.
    My oldest son (11) has a life-threatening peanut allergy. We do have nuts, peanut butter, and other foods with the "peanut warning" on the label in the house. Homemade goodies are fineI will just keep Michael away from it! Its a fact of life for him, so its not a big deal when he cant share in the goodies. For anyone who doesnt have to deal with watching labelsjust know "may contain traces of peanut" or "manufactured in a facility that also handles peanuts" warnings are on a LOT of foods that arent necessarily obvious!
    To my swap partnerwe are truly easy to please! We especially love local things! Its fun to learn about what people enjoy in other parts of the country/world!

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

I am looking forward to participating in my first swap here.

I live with my husband and 21 yr. old son (step) on 12 acres. I have 2 daughters in college (one biological, one step) and one (step) still in high school. I work full time in a documentation role and run my Avon business on the side.

We rarely eat breakfast at home, lunch only on weekends, dinner is casual and we almost never entertain. I do prepare holiday meals for extended family. Anywhere from 6 to 15 people usually.

I cook from scratch nearly every night, the three of us (and daughters when available) sit down at the table, pray, and eat together.

We potluck at church at least once a month. I love to take treats on a pretty dish to work.

Meals are simple and wholesome. I garden, so most everything is fresh. I have access to local meat and produce as well. Most of my "store" purchases are dairy products, fruits/veggies I can't grow or buy locally, and my big downfall.........potato chips and popcorn.

I rarely use a cookbook to prepare meals, but love to bake.
    Mostly cookies, sweet bread, yeast breads (once in awhile) because that's we what eat. My family just isn't big on pies and cakes.
    I don't really have a favorite cookbook, but have lots of them! I find myself using my Ruralite cookbooks and good ol' Better Homes & Gardens checkered one for reference, tried and true recipes (and here of course!!!!) I sometimes write in them. I also have a binder with recipes I've actually tried and liked and family recipes that I used a LOT!

I like recipes with basic ingredients. I live 5 miles from the closest grocery store and 20 miles from "town" where I actually have a choice! I'm not running to the store for an odd ingredient.

I currently have subscriptions to Taste of Home and Cooking for Two (these pretty acurately describe my style).

Hobbies: Sheesh! Like I have time! But, when I do, I quilt, love to read, garden, garage sales.

Favorite color is lavender, followed closely by denim/french blue.
    Most of my house is tan/blue/white. Black accents in my cast iron cookware, wood stove, etc.

Yep, pierced ears, but always wear the same little stud earrings. I am not really a jewelery person. Wedding ring and one other, wide silver rope necklace and little earrings...same ones....don't take them off.

I prefer jam over jelly, but eat both. I made more last year than we'll probably ever eat! Love orange marmalade, but don't eat it very often (see above...rarely eat breakfast at home).

We eat a lot of pickles, mostly dills. I think I made 30 pints this year, plus a few pints of sweets. Don't really care for bread & butter.
    Olives: Yum!!
    Not huge on spicy food, but like a good chili flavor without all the heat. (Think anaheim peppers, not habanero!)
    Love bananas. I pretty much just like to eat. It's easier to list the few things I don't like!!
    Liver, eggplant, turnips, shortening based frosting (gag).
    I am pretty open to trying new things. NO food allergies here. I am a big salt addict, but also love sweets. And....as you can tell....love to "talk"!! (grin)
    Deanna

• robinkateb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am pretty sure that some folks are still missing from this thread...

• phyllis_philodendron
    17 years ago

Our eating/cooking style is a lot of comfort foods; stuff that's easy to make and not too over the top. I tend to avoid recipes where ingredients sound weird to me or I make substitutions for more ordinary things I might have on hand. Our family includes DH, son David and daughter Sarah, a newborn. My favorite color is blue. My hobbies include antiquing and garage sales, collecting vintage ironstone and porcelain (nothing very expensive). I love anything truly vintage and my DD's nursery is totally done in authentic vintage stuff that I mostly got from my grandparents/mom.

My "favorite" cookbook is the Betty Crocker Cooky Book, which I rarely use but has sentimental value to me as it was the one I used a lot growing up. Mom had an orginal copy and they recently reissued this about 4-5 years ago. DH bought it for me for Christmas. Other frequently used cookbooks include a local firehouse fundraiser cookbook, the Big Red cookbook (what is that, Betty or Better Homes and Gardens?) and some Betty Crocker thing with all chicken recipes in it. Although I haven't made even 95% if the recipes in it, there are 3-4 that I make alot.

Do you like jam? Yes
    Do you like jelly? Yes
    Do you like pickles? I love gherkins, little sweet ones, some dills although not too spicy
    Do you like spicy food? No
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? I love rhubarb, strawberry and raspberry. I also like citrus flavored things (but not grapefruit). I don't particularly care for tropical fruits.
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? A little of both, I guess!

Contrary to Deanna, I don't like olives or eggplant. :>

• lsr2002
    17 years ago

Max and I are home alone, although Brockley (the practically perfect poodle) does share the house with us. Our home is a pretty eclectic mix of contemporary with some Asian and European antiques. Floors throughout the first floor are a peachy sand washed ceramic tile and Oriental rugs. Countertops in the kitchen are the same colored tile and Oak and our breakfast room, an extension of the kitchen, is where we spend most of our time.

Hobbies, travel tops the list, then collecting art and cooking. The perfect vacation for us includes all three, although we leave most of the cooking to the pros when we travel.

I have a lot of cookbooks and love them. Im currently searching for contemporary cookbooks from Spain, Greece and Africa. By contemporary, I really mean cookbooks that capture the essence of the tradition but are geared to modern cooking techniques. I love to cook but if something takes three days and fifty ingredients, Id rather have it in a restaurant. Of course I write in them, usually with a pencil.

Now a little canned goods questionnaire:
    Do you like jam? Yes
    Do you like jelly? Yes
    Do you like marmalade? Yes, love marmalades.
    Do you like pickles? Yes, all kinds, dill, sweet, Japanese, Mexican hot pickled mushrooms.
    Do you like spicy food? Yes, I like spicy foods of all sorts, Max likes even hotter foods.
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? I cant think of any we dont like
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? I like both, I love dark chocolate, ginger, and lemon. I like a lot of contrast in my food in both texture and taste.

We drink both coffee and tea, black, green, white and herb, only dislike is anything with chicory in it. We drink both red and white wine.

My favorite thing about the swaps is that we all get to know each other better, and the people here are my favorite part of the CF.

Lee

• colo_lady
    17 years ago

First of all, I need to say I am ashamed that Anne had to write me and tell me to get my hiney in here and post.

I joined the swap and then got so busy I couldn't find a minute to get in here, so I will start by saying I'm sorry and begging forgiveness.

A little about me fo rthe benefit of the person who drew the short straw - I mean got my my name.

I am married with no kids, but I have four incredible cats that keep me on my toes. I live in Colorado (ha - bet you didn't guess that one!) and work for the government. I could tell you what I do but then I'd have to kill you. We remodeled our kitchen a short while ago and that's how I found the Garden Web. Yes, I will admit I was TKO there for awhile. You can see my kitchen from the link on my page.

I love to cook fancy meals and unusual recipes but I don't eat red meat or pork so my poor DH only gets to eat it when we go out. Po' po' DH. I love wine and margaritas but DH doesn't drink alcohol at all. I can't even cook anything that has a tiny bit of alcohol in it (even though we all know it cooks off). I honor his abstinence.

Hobbies include flower gardening, reading (lots), movies, hiking, golf, cleaning the house - no wait, that's not a hobbie...

I have a lot of cookbooks and can sit and read one just for fun. Weird, I know. My favorite cookbooks are those that have a corresponding photo for each recipe. I have too many favorites to pinpoint just one.

As for the canned goods questionnaire:
    Do you like jam? Yes
    Do you like jelly? Yes
    Do you like pickles? Yes
    Do you like spicy food? Yes, I LOVE spicy foods. DH can eat it hotter than I can though.
    What are your favorite fruits? Oranges I guess and raspberries.
    Any you do not like? Nope
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? I am a sugar junkie and I also love savory so I'm up for anything.
    DH and I both drink both coffee and tea.

Again, I apologize for being a bad partner. I am a nice person, if that's any consolation...

Love and Kisses,
    Marcia

• jessyf
    17 years ago

bump

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

tipity toppity

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

What fun..Sorry I took so long to respond...
    I love to cook. Have not met a cookbook I did'nt like. I also read them like a novel..LOL I watch the Food Network everyday!!! I love to try new and different recipes and DH love to try them.
    I live in Reno, Nv (for now) with my husband Leland (39 yrs in Nov) married young. Retired at 55 from the state of California DMV after 30 years.
    We have one daughter Denise. She and her husband of 4 years have moved to Charlotte, NC last November. We will probably relocate in a few years. We have a dog (Clancey) Shih Tzu, and a cat (Theo) gray tabby. Love to BBQ, we have a "HOG" Road King and love to ride. We drink coffee, tea (green, white, red, etc.) I like red wine Cabernet mostly, and Gray Goose martines.
    My favorite color is red, I have a (red) apple theme in the kitchen. We have been in our new house for about a year. Mostly tile and butterscotch carpet (very sutle) kind of Tuscany look. Love candles, going on walks, reading novels including cook books, crocheting, crafting, & gardening.
    Do you like jam? Yes
    Do you like jelly? I much prefer jam
    Do you like marmalade? Love marmalade
    Do you like pickles? That is a big yes, olives as well. I only like sweet ones if they are home canned, bread and butter are my favorite. I like all dill types though.
    Do you like spicy food? Yes, but not so it explodes my head
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? I love all berries, melons, mango, I don't like banana but will eat they in a fruit salad.
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? More of a sweet tooth (dark chocolate) but I like savory as well.
    To my swap partnerwe are truly easy to please! We especially love local things! Its fun to learn about what people enjoy in other parts of the country/world!
    I am pretty open to trying new things. NO food allergies here.

Linda

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

(This will be my first swap and I am really looking forward to it so here goes: Love food of all kinds and love to cook. I like trying new and differant things, like to challenge myself in the kitchen, and enjoy cooking more gourmet style than just the norm. Love salads and veggies, and usually try to have those with every meal. Not so much of a fruit person during winter although I love mandarin oranges and fruit salads. In summer I love fresh berries! I have a husband who travels a fair bit and loves food and trying new things , as well as a fourteen year old son who is also quite the foodie. (he has a real knack for seasoning foods). We have a little rat terrier dog named Jet. My favorite colours are black, aubergine, burgundy, gold. I love to paint and do artwork, crafts, decorate, and although I definately don't love it I do do alot of gardening in the summer.

(This would be another hobby of mine. I love cookbooks! Love reading them, the way people read novels. I don't really have a favorite as I am constantly using all of them as well as new ones. I have hundreds! Had to stop collecting food magazines as I was running out of places to put them, and I hate to throw them away!. The librarian's hear know me on a first name basis, as when I am getting ready to do a dinner party I have been known to take out fifty books at a time, often ordering them in from other cities. I do write in my cookbooks, especially if I have altered a recipe. Although I always like to note whether the recipe was excellant, good or not worth making again. This is for for whoever inherits the books as I never forget a recipe once I have made it. I love scouring the internet for recipes as well and have collected thousands.

Do you like jam? I love jam for ccoking or glazing, or using in a recipe, but no one in are family eats it on bread or toast.
    Do you like jelly? Use Jelly the same as jam.
    Do you like marmalade? Use marmalade the same as jam or jelly. We have a place near us that makes a large assortment of specialty jams and jellies that change with the seasons. She ships them scross Canada, and I go there quite a bit to pick up some gourmet varietes for cooking with.
    Do you like pickles? Love pickles
    Do you like spicy food? I love med spicy food, I don't like it when it is so hot it burns your mouth.
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? I like pretty much all fruits.
    I have a strong sweet tooth, and usually it is for something chocolatey. I love brownies and chocolate cake. Like cheesecakes, but I don't love them as I find they are usually a little heavy for my taste.

Shelley

• dedtired
    16 years ago

Ditto to everything I said above!

• booberry85
    16 years ago

OK, I'm way late to the game with this one! I did post on "Phishing Phor Inpho."

(This will be my first swap and I am really looking forward to it so here goes: I am really not picky! I love Italian, Greek, Lebanese, and Polish food although I don't limit myself to just those cuisines. I am more of a country cook, than a gourmet cook. I like trying new things. In summer I love fresh berries! I also love to pick things out of the garden during the summer and figure out what I'm going to make based on what's freshly picked. The DH & I have two short furry children, Buca & Bear. Buca is a shih tzu and is tan and white. Bear is a shih tzu - Maltese mutt and is mostly white with grayish black ears. Purple is my favorite color, followed by green and red. I love to cook (obviously), garden (mostly veggies) and can. I do some quilting but I'm more sporadic with that.

I love cookbooks! Love reading them, the way people read novels. I don't really have a favorite as I am constantly using all of them as well as new ones. I have written three cookbooks as gifts for various family members. Two have been on cookies and one is a general recipe book.

Do you like jam? I love jam. Send me some fun flavors. No grape though! My grape vines behind my house produce lots, which means I make lots of grape jam.
    Do you like jelly? I love jelly!
    Do you like marmalade? I'm not crazy about marmalade. Although I do have a copy of a recipe for blueberry marmalade which I haven't made yet, but intend to.
    Do you like pickles? I love pickles. Sweet, dill, cucumber, beans, zucchini...anything goes.
    Do you like spicy food? I love "jalapeno hot" foods, I don't like it when it is so hot it burns your mouth or stomach. Dh likes things a little milder than I do.
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? I love berries, followed by melons, followed by everything else. I'm not picky. All fruit is good.
    I have a strong sweet tooth. When it comes down to choice between something strawberry flavored or chocolate flavored, I usually pick the strawberry! Chocolate is good too though!

• lori316
    16 years ago

thought it might be good to get these to the top...

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

Assuming we should answer the questions now if we weren't in the last swqp. I'm looking forward to getting some of your favorites.
    I like to keep food healthier - lower salt and fat, better fats - but we aren't fanatics about it. We redid our kitchen and replaced a aging awful appliances and difficult to care for surfaces so I feel able to cook more adventurously. We keep kosher.

I like to stir fry, I've been experimenting with sour dough breads lately and more Indian and Mediterranian foods.

Our household includes DH, me, our son who is working on his PhD, his wife and their infant daughter. DS, DIL and I do most of the cooking, DH does a lot of the clean-up and shopping.

Joy of Cooking (I have both the new and the old versions)
    Settlement Cookbook (what I grew up using)
    Classic Home Desserts
    newest favorite - Olive Trees and Honey - Jewish vegetarian recipes from around the world.
    But increasingly I get recipes from the internet.

I usually don't write in them, but that isn't based on principle - just usually don't have a pen when cooking and don't remember to later. You can always find my favorite recipes by the splashes. My sister in law just sent me one of those cookbook holders with plastic in front, now I just need to remember to use it.

I often like to look up a bunch of recipes on something I want to make and then combine the elements I like best from several.

Do you like jam? Yes but I have to be quick around here to get my share. :^)
    Do you like jelly? Yes but I prefer jam/preserves.
    Do you like marmalade? Yes, and that is less likely to get gobbled up by others
    Do you like pickles? Yes, especially the crispier ones.
    Do you like spicy food? Yes, but I can't do super hot. I love ginger and horseradish too.

Apricot, peach, berries except blueberries, cranberries (really anything tart and sweet).
    I like both but maybe more savory because some things like soda are too sweet for me. Chocolate is always welcome.

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

Eating and cooking style.
    I love to try and cook ethnic foods. I am pretty good at many except Chinese so get take out. But most of the time we eat simple foods we grew up with like pot roasts, though I do make a lot of vegetarian dishes.

Who lives with you, favorite colors, hobbies etc.
    My DH of 30 years (who hasn't died from my cooking yet), 23 yr. old DS, and our D dog Elvira, a mini dachshund who will eat ANYTHING!
    Colors: subdued nature colors, I like bright colors as acccents.
    Hobbies: Cooking - homemade bread, baked goods, preserves. Photography and Photoshop, Metalsmithing - Copper, brass, bronze objects. Silver Jewelry making. Glass beads and fused glass. Gardening - veggies and flowers. Reading. Knitting, Crocheting, Embroidering.

Favorite cookbook - It has changed over the years. I use to use my old 1950 Betty Crockers all the time.
    Then when I was a vegetarian I loved The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas. Now I have over a 100 cookbooks and get recipes off the web and from the CF. But I do collect very old cookbooks or unusual or ethnic cookbooks.

Do you like to write in your cookbooks when you find you need to alter a recipe to make it work or do you believe books should not be written in?
    I hate when books are written in. I do make changes sometimes to recipes but I put it down on another piece of paper.

Do you like jam? Yes
    Do you like jelly? Yes
    Do you like pickles? Yes
    Do you like spicy food? No, can't take it anymore.
    What are your favorite fruits? Berries.
    Any you do not like? Persimmons.
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? Sweet. (unfortunately)

For more information (and so I don't keep boring people) see Jessyf's post Do you have a camera? Dietary restrictions? Etc.!.
    Clare

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

more more more

• bri29
    15 years ago

Since I'm a newbie here, I figured I'd answer as many of these threads as possible so my swap partner wouldn't feel like they'd gotten a stranger! I've loved reading these threads to find out about all of you! Oh, and if you need additional "dirt," Deanna is a good inside source.

Bri

It's just me and the DH with a dog and a cat: a chow/german shepherd mix and a calico. No kids yet, but everyone at work is asking me when that's coming. All I can tell them is not just yet. I try to be adventurous in my cooking, but sometimes I just want comfort food. My hobbies include reading, flying, cross stitch, knitting, crocheting, sewing, ham radio, camping and technical theater work. I'm just starting to get back into my hobbies after finishing my MBA this past July. Its odd getting back into my life and figuring out what I want to do first. Oh, and my favorite colors are blues and greens (but not pastels).

I don't have that many cookbooks really. I have a few, but the one I keep going back to is my Dorie Greenspan Baking From My Home to Yours. I tend to pull a lot of inspiration from the internet and just wing dinners. I'd say I'm much better at baking than cooking, but I'm working on it. I never write in books and I'll try a recipe once as written unless something seems really out of whack or I don't really like one of the ingredients. The second time through I'll usually start futzing with it.

Do you like jam? I love jam, but I'm finding myself wanting the lower sugar, more fruit kinds a lot more lately. Basically I just want smushed up fruit on my toast and I'm a happy camper!
    Do you like jelly? Not fruit jellies usually (see above) but I love things like pepper jelly.
    Do you like marmalade? of course!
    Do you like pickles? Yes, but my mom had so many trouble making them when I was little I'm scared of making them myself!
    Do you like spicy food? Oh yes. I love Thai food.
    What are your favorite fruits? Any you do not like? I pretty much love every fruit. The only thing I don't like is the fuzz skin on peaches etc. I just have to skin them and I'm in.
    Do you have a strong sweet tooth or you more of a savory person? I'd say savory, but then again I was just raving about fruit! I love to bake cookies and cakes and all kinds of sugary stuff, but I rarely eat them. I'm really hard on my co-worker's diets, but they don't seem to complain a whole lot.

Hope that helps!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!