SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momto4kids_gw

BubbesKitchen....I'm Overwhelmed!!

momto4kids
17 years ago

Ive been out all day running around doing errands with four children. For almost a month, weÂve had no dial tone for more than an hour or so at a time. WeÂre experiencing spotty internet connectivity. The humiture is over 100Ë. My roots are showing already. You can imagine the kind of mood IÂm in!

I came home to find a box! I knew right away it HAD to be from my swap partner, as it doesnÂt say Amazon.com! I opened it up and found {{gwi:1465019}}. I dutifully opened the note first and found instructions regarding opening my bounty. Everything was color-coded to correspond to the 5 themes she chose for me. Renée has clearly done her homework!! {{gwi:1465021}} what I pulled out of the box:

1. {{gwi:1465023}}

IÂm a self-proclaimed mustard "nut." This {{gwi:1465025}} includes three delicious mustards:

Mesquite and Stout Ale Mustard

Roasted Tomato & Balsamic Mustard

Black Currant & Dijon Mustard

All three were wrapped and placed in a great basket I will easily be using! Renée received a jar of Roasted Tomato & Balsamic Mustard from BeverlyAl in a previous swap, enjoyed it, and thought I might like it. Renée mixes this mustard with EVOO, garlic, lemon rind (she knows lemon is my favorite flavor!) and shrimp, then grills the shrimp on skewers. Oh, yes! I am excited about trying all three of these!!

2. {{gwi:1465027}}

Renée found out IÂve been busy sewing again. This {{gwi:1465029}} includes a handmade flowerpot pincushion and a cloth needle holder. IÂm not sure how you knew, but IÂve put a pincushion on my list of things to get the next time I go to the fabric store! I have some pins I like to use and hate having them mixed up with the others! My needles are all disorganizedÂnot anymore! Two more "perfect for me" items!

3. {{gwi:1465030}}

Ohmigosh, I hit the jackpot here! I LOVE regional items. This category includes:

Broadway Grill Mug  I was talking to the girls today about Broadway!

Smith & Wollensky Steak Sauce  Everyone is dying to try this! I love slathering food with sauces!

Dean & Deluca Pretzel Poppers  When I emailed Renée to tell her I had gotten her package and was in the midst of photographing everything, I told her I had begun eating these chocolate-covered pretzels and they may NOT make the group photo if I donÂt stop eating! Well, IÂve eaten half the bag already. TheyÂre hidden in my desk for me and me ONLY! Two of my favorite flavorsÂchocolate and saltÂin one bite. Love these!

A Taste of DOROT  Renée wrote a personal note to me inside the cover. I am really, really looking forward to scouring this cookbook and reading up on the traditions I did not grow up with, but want to provide for my kids. [Renée has been involved with DOROT since 1989. Renée, I will treasure this cookbook more than you know! IÂve already noticed your family recipes and canÂt wait to try them!]

4. {{gwi:1465032}}

Another fabulous category!

The Italian Grill Cookbook  Another great cookbook! Renée had the author write a note inside the book to me! TO ME!!! Wow! Another prized cookbook!

Poultry Rub from Napa Valley  Renée also received some of this rub from BeverlyAl and loved it. I am VERY eager to give this a try!

Tandoori Blend Spices  How did you know? Seriously, IÂve been scouring websites and recipe search engines over the past couple of days because someone mentioned Tandoori Meatballs in another thread and IÂve been wanting something with Tandoori seasoningÂwhich I didnÂt even have on hand! Also eager to try this out!

Thai Coconut Lime Seasoned Skewers  Well, this is VERY interesting. IÂve never heard of seasoned skewers! These will be fun to use!

Caribbean Fish Grill  Oh yummy! This is a delicious blend of spicesÂgreat combination!

5. {{gwi:1465034}}

This wonderful {{gwi:1465036}} contains:

Fillet Glove  Renée mentioned she has one and itÂs a favorite item of hers. I cannot wait to use this! It is worn on the hand holding whatever is being cutÂso you can cut without cutting yourself!

Sake Lemon Flower Candle  Yes! Yes! My favorite flavor! Mmmmm! CanÂt wait to light this up!

BBQ Collage Stickers  Oh, these are great for my scrapbooking! I have nothing to decorate BBQ pages. IÂm looking forward to using these!

And look at this fantastic {{gwi:1465038}} Oh, I do love this! ItÂs huge and roomy and perfect for me!

So, {{gwi:1465039}} it all is! I am going to be VERY busy trying out all my new food items! I will thoroughly enjoy each and every one!

Renée, an absolutely spectacular job! You did outstanding investigative work! I am completely overwhelmed by your generosity! YouÂve given me gifts I will truly treasure long after the edibles have been eaten!

Deb

Comments (41)

• chase_gw
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Talk about a New York State of Mind, Billy Joel would be impressed!!!

Amazing parcel .......Deb, what goes around, comes around. Great job Renee!

• dedtired
    17 years ago

So that's where "my" box ended up! Wowee!! What a collection. Renee, you really outdid yourself. Everything is so special and so personal for Deb. All the little touches make such a wonderful difference.

Can those cookbooks be ordered from DOROT? And how cute is that pin cushion?

So wonderful. Congrats Renee and lucky,lucky Deb.

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Renée, I didn't actually say the words "Thank you!" Hopefully my words convey it!

A thousand "thank yous" for my tremendous package!!!

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Lucky you, Deb! What a wonderful assortment of goodies!

Love the needle case - I might just have to copy that for our guild boutique coming up in October.

As usual, your exquisite taste shines through, Renee.

Teresa

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

Deb, I heard a gazillion "Thanks Yous" in your post, you did a great job descibing Renee's package....which, BTW, is fantastic! 'Course I haven't seen a bad one yet....this forum Rocks!

Very nice Renee!!!!

Nancy

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

Deb,
    You are so very welcome! I had a fine time putting this swap together. I am relieved that all got there in one piece and that you had time to open it before your vacation.

Pam,
    We are going to reprint the DOROT cookbooks in September. We printed 800 and all went very fast. There are only a handful left. We are editing and adding and I could let you know when the next print comes out. DOROT is a not for profit serving the elderly and the recipes are from the family collections of our donors, voluteers, elders, staff, celebrity cooks, and friends. A true labor of love and friendship.

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

First, I have to say Debbie that you gave me a laugh with the "and my roots are showing" line!

What a wonderful package to find waiting for you! Renee, thank you for explaining DOROT, I was about to ask. How special.

Just fabulous and beautifully presented. Enjoy!

• annie1992
    17 years ago

OMG, what a great swap package. I just love it all.

Enjoy all those goodies, Deb, even if there isn't anything in there to touch up your roots. LOL

Annie

• dlundin
    17 years ago

Renee should be banned. She puts us all to shame. She can't count to save her life. Did I mention I LOVE that woman??? I was the recipient in a past swap AND I met that doll last February. OMG, she is one helluva woman! (Yes, love my Connecticut girls, no jealousy.)

Deb, you are a lucky woman! When Renee does something, that girl goes all the way! I hope you enjoy it all!!

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

Now that's a swap ! Stuff to eat , stuff to look at , stuff to "use" & stuff to read . Super slueth Renee pegged another swap partner perfectly ! Oh enjoy Deb !

Diane

• compumom
    17 years ago

I'm bowled over at that great theme and fabulous goodies! I know you're going to love using it! Great job Renee!

Please let me know when the new Dorot Cookbook is available!

• robinkateb
    17 years ago

Wow, that is an amazing swap basket. I cannot pick a favorite at all among all those goodies. My mouth was watering at all the food items. That glove sounds really interesting? Does it really prevent you from cutting yourself. I am now up to date on my tetanus shots so it is less of a concern. LOL

Deb, you are so deserving of all this bounty, enjoy.

-Robin

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

I love everything..
    Again..East Side West Side:)

Cielo/Country!

Beautiful thoughtful gifts..

I enjoyed looking at everything.

• kent4489
    17 years ago

Deb, oh my gosh....really super swap package. Enjoy!
    Renee, everything is just great. Nice job!

Jayne

• shaun
    17 years ago

OMG, what a wonderful swap package. I just love it all. Renee I hope you get ME next time! hahahahaha!

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

That filet glove is a life saver. I wrote to Deb, "Aries that I am, I have cut myself many times in the kitchen with mandolines, knives, graters." Here is what it is: basically it is synthetic mail, armor made of synthetic rings made into a flexible clothe. Fishermen use them for fileting fish, I use it to hold the food I am cutting or the hand that might come in contact with a blade or other sharp surface.

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

Holy moly that is what jam-packed package! Both those cookbooks look like great reads, and the food......fabbo.

You did lots of work for that Renee and it shows.

janet

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

I have one correction for Deb's post: its the Napa Valley Poultry Mix that I use for the shrimp, not the mustard, but I see where the confusion lay (My bad); I asterisked the mustard and referred to notes with spices. Both items came to me during a swap and I've been adicted ever since. Actually the spices are fantastic on anything and I use them all the time.

I haven't tried the tandoori spice mix, D&D is up the street (at least for now) and I think I'll pick one up for myself.

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Whoa! That has to be the mother of all swap packages!
    And so beautifully presented, too! I love everything, can't pick just one or two items!

Great job, Renee! Deb, I don't have to tell you to enjoy...it is obvious you are giddy with excitement!

Linda

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Wow. ROFL because from now on, all swaps will have to be mini-swaps! I shoulda had you wrap my swap box items, Renee, you do such a nice job.

(BTW nice laptop in the 'Here it all is' shot, and ya see that bowl in the top left corner - sorta looks like something I'm sending MY swap partner...)

'Dorot' means 'generations' in Hebrew. What a wonderful name for your organization, Bubbe!

Debbie, I hope it cools down enough for you to spell 'humidity' and 'temperature' correctly instead of 'humiture'. Love that, I'm stealing it!

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

Renee, you really did do a grat job, with a great theme, and everything wrapped so beautifully. Lucky you, Deb!

• Marigene
    17 years ago

What can I say that hasn't already been said......awesome swap package.

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

I'm picking my jaw up off the floor! Great Job Renee!

Lucky You Deb! Enjoy your bounty!

• stacy3
    17 years ago

oh my - I don't even know what to comment on! Deb - you rec'd so many wonderful items from Renee! Love the filet glove. I am such a clutz.

Bubbe, what a gorgeous and generous package you put together - amazing.

Stacy

• goldgirl
    17 years ago

Wow! I'm not sure what's better - the incredible package put together by Renee, or the incredible description/photos by Deb!

• lowspark
    17 years ago

What an impressive swap packages! Fabulous!!

• arabellamiller
    17 years ago

Wow, wow, wow!!! THat is amazing!

Enjoy, you lucky lady!

AM

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

WOW that Is definately BIG APPLE BIG!

• ann_t
    17 years ago

Wow, what an amazing swap box. Deb, I love how Renee counts. Just like you. LOL! Enjoy all the goodies Renee sent you.

Ann

• granjan
    17 years ago

Well, after that, I'm not sure I really want to put my package in the mail tomorrow.(Just kidding partner.It's wrapped and weighed and just waiting for me to finish the notes.)

It's all wonderful but I REALLY love the flowerpot pincushion and needle case. And I hate to sew! But I want them cuz they are just too cute.

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

Shucks, I cin count: one, four, eleven, six, twenty-nine, FIVE! There! Proved it!. It's Anglish I got trubbble wit. And I am not the first person around here to think, "ah, how can I leave that out, it's so dang appealing."

Know what I forgot to do? Thank Deb for the great photo essay!
    Thanks, swap buddie!

• Tikanas2
    17 years ago

Bubbe can't count but she can SURE shop : )

Wonderful swap pkg!

Tikanas

• traceys
    17 years ago

LOL Renee I think we're all mathematically impaired but that's ok we make up for it in other areas.

Amazing package you put together Renee. I also am interested in the DOROT cookbook. Sounds like a great organization.

Deb, Enjoy your package and let us know what your cooking from those books.

Tracey

• paulines
    17 years ago

Bubbe, you are really too much (I think I say that to you alot-lol) ~ awesome theme, amazing package.

Deb, please report back on the S & W steak sauce. The Dorot Cookbook is so special, a really nice momento of this swap and Bubbe ~ enjoy perusing it!

• finally
    17 years ago

Wow, what a great package Renee! Love the themes and all of the gourmet goodies! Deb, I'm sure you'll enjoy everything. We'd love to hear about it!

• susan_in_nc
    17 years ago

Wow doesn't do justice to this package. Renee, you do wonders with a plain brown box!

Deb, how lucky you are. Isn't it just so much fun to open and explore a swap box?

Susan

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am so VERY lucky!

Renée, the poppers were gone by the end of the 2nd day! I ate them all in 2 sittings, I'm embarrassed to say!! I enjoyed taking the pictures! The kids just cannot understand why I keep getting presents from my "Secret Santa!" [I don't even quite know how they understand the concept of "Secret Santa" (as we're Jewish!), but they do!]

The DOROT cookbook is FABULOUS! I keep reading and reading it. It is so rich in stories, the recipes are almost incidental! I truly enjoy the reading and will continue to read and even reread!

Renée, again, I am so greatly appreciative of everything! Thank you! Deb

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

Deb,

Sharing who we are is very much a part of what this exchange is all about; by sending each other things that we enjoy and feel that our partners will (you will), expresses both our interests and those of our partners. When they meld, it is such a special moment. I have learned a great deal from this exchange and the others. I am richer for the experience; the more so because you are willing to tell it from your end.

Hugs,

Bubbe

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

Oh Deb, I can relate, Bubbe was my very first swap partner many swaps ago. Once again she has put together a wonderful package that I know you will enjoy and remember for many years!! Yet another great theme and swap box!! Who cares if we can't count! LOL!

David

• trixietx
    17 years ago

What everyone else said and more!

Wonderful box of goodies, Renee.

Have fun, Deb.

• Solsthumper
    17 years ago

Wow is right Deb. Sweet pickins' - I'm so impressed by it all, I feel compelled to break out into a little song and dance. Sorry, I can't turn my brain off. I don't know how it works!
    ...start spreadin' the newwwws, I'm leaving today, I want to be a part of it, New York, Newww Yo-ooork...

Sol