Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It fits me to a T, TobyT!!

Posted by dedtired (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 20:54

I drove by my house and noticed that my son had edged the lawn (good boy). I also noticed nothing on the doorstep. Sigh. Then I came inside and found this on the table!!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It's my swap box from Jane!! Better known here as TobyT. Her theme is "Think Pink, Eat and Drink". I could even smell the goodies through the box!! I tore off the paper and found this cornucopia of pretty packages

Knowing you would all be clamoring for pictures, I had to exercise great fortitude by taking some pics before I started to rip and tear. Here are all the pretty packages!

The flowered packages contained the Think Pink items. First are four delightful pink striped placemats -- they look like Christmas candy canes. I can't believe I actually own four matching placemats without spots and stains. After that are the most adorable corn picks with flowers, sunshines, pineapples and palm trees. Sure beats the yellow plastic corn cobs I have now. There was also a package of pretty party napkins -- perfect for my next book club meeting. Here they are:

Jane must have heard about all the rain we've had, creating a bumper crop of mosquitoes. Here are some too darling citronella candles (pink, of course) in watering cans!

Here is a cute polka dot ice cream scoop -- in action!

And some wonderful pink salad servers which look practical as well as fun. Sorry for the dark picture.

And the last, but so very not least, pink item is Strawberry Honey Soap, which I can't decide if I should use to wash up with or eat!

So here are all the pink items and I've included my pink pocketbook to show how perfect this is for me -- just my taste!

On to the yellow packages -- the Eat and Drink part. Two of my favorite things to do. First is some wonderful Krause Berry Farms Strawberry Syrup, from a farm down the road from her, owned by two brothers she has known since school days, where she also got the Strawberry Honey Soap. I could chug this bottle down right now, but will wait for Sunday breakfast on waffles.

Up next is --can you believe it -- the totally decadent Silver Palate Grand Marnier Fudge Sauce. I see some strawberries dipped in this in my future.

I'm getting thirsty so here is some Strawberry Peach Summer Sparkles drink mix. It makes half a gallon of fizzy refreshing fun and comes with two pink pinwheel straws. I'm a kid again!! Isn't the bag cute?

Jane was paying attention and discovered I adore scones. She sent some Me Mum's White Chocolate Lemon Scone Mix that come with the funniest directions. They start "Directions for yee ta folla: Dump the package into a bowl and cut in a wee bit o' butter . Naw, if yee'd be using that margarine, I don't want ta know aboot it!" Maybe you can read it all:

Isn't that a hoot??

Jane -- did you put up the Peach Chili Sauce yourself? I think this would be fab on fish and it's going on the menu very soon

And finally some candy. There were four to start, but we're down to three now. The butter brickle is gone.The candies (Maple Syrup Butter Crunch, Blarney Stones and Demerara Butter Crunch) are from Milsean Creations, right in Jane's home town in British Columbia, from a shop owned by her friend from high school

So here is the whole kit and kaboodle

I am overwhelmed and so touched that Jane took the time to find what I like. Scones, peach, strawberries, chocolate and just about anything sweet. I could not have packed a more perfect box than if I had done it myself.

She also sent some tempting travel brochures (I want so much to go there!)from her area and also some grocery flyers. It's fun to see the difference in what's offered and the prices. I nearly fainted at the cost and then remembered it's Canadian dollars. $1.89 for a pound of peaches, when they are 89 cents here! However, they are grown nearby and it's the height of the season here.

And here's what was left after my rip and tear session:

All thse wonderful goodies from Canada. Best of all was a delightful letter from Jane (who is a very good writer), telling me about her life, which sounds like heaven to me. She has five acres of ground in an agricultural area. I have less than a quarter acre, just twelve miles from the center of Philadelphia.

Oh Jane, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I love it all. I haven't had this much fun in a long time! I hope I can meet you some day and thank you personally, dear friend.

Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It fits me to a T, TobyT!!

What a totally adorable package! I love the corn picks! I've never seen anything like those before. ENjoy!

o

That is a beautiful package! I love the pink theme, Jane! And please share the Peach Chili Sauce recipe?

Enjoy your "pretty in pink" package, Dedtired!

Teresa

o

Awesome package Pam, with a very cute theme.that ice cream scoop is just adorable. Everything is cool!

o

Loved the directions for the scones! That is a great package, just full of cool regional stuff. And your colors! Nice job, TobyT!

o

Well, now, who wouldn't be tickled pink to receive that package?!

Those candles are adorable, and that fudge sauce...I hope it went on that ice cream.

Great job, TobyT, although I'm almost disappointed I can't tease Pam anymore about waiting for her package. Enjoy it all, Pam!

o

Pretty in Pink for sure!

o

Pam - I'm so glad that you got your parcel. When I traced it on the Canada Post website this afternoon, it said it was still at the Richmond sortation plant, which is about an hour away from here! I didn't know what to do, and then I got your email, which I tried to reply to, but I'm having email problems today. Were the Milsean candies all melty? I debated about sending them in the heat, but they're so good and so regional that I decided to take a chance. I canned the peach chili sauce last fall and will have a look for the recipe.
Although I was on holidays last week, I've been peeking in at the exchanges and just what to say what a generous, imaginative bunch you all are. The themes and the research on partners is just over the top. It's been a pleasure to participate.
Jane

o

Jane, what a fun theme and I love all the pink. I've never seen such cute corn picks/holders. I can almost smell the soap. Have fun with all of your pink goodies, Pam.

Brenda

o

What a great unique theme Jane--
And what great goodies make it up-- Pam you should have a fun time with all those luscious tastes-- a perfect "Summer" party in a box!

Diane

o

Great 0ackage. Loved the corn picks and the ice cream scoop.The candies sound wonderful and the scone mix is a hoot.

o

Great package! I love my "helping hands" salad servers. I use mine all the time.

Yum, I wish I had that ice cream!

o

Pam, sounds like a perfect package for you. All terrific items.
Jane, I think the pink theme is really a cute one!

Jayne

o

yeah, I need some of those salad servers, too. WHat a cute theme, TobyT.

Pam, your description and pics were fun! Have more fun with all those great things!

Stacy

o

What a fun parcel! I just love all the pink! Something about this swap parcel just makes you smile!

o

Oh Toby,
I could use one of each of those lovelies that popped out of your thoughtful box!

Pam, she nailed it, right? Look at the dots on that scoop! Grand Marnier Fudge Sauce? Homemade Peach Chili sauce! A little cold, a little hot, and very berry pink.

Fabulous!

o

Hi Pam,

So glad you got a fabbo package in return, buddy! Those corn holders are too cute! Great job Tobyt! Pam you are too funny.

This weekend I shared the lemon chile pistachios, the olive tapenade (served on crostini with goatcheese), we used the placemats and napkins, the beer opener of course, (which Chance thinks is her personal toy!) and served the last of the tasty cakes on a dessert plater! Of course I wanted to eat outside, but that was the only day in the past 2 weeks it rained! But we have company coming Friday so I will try again and post pix!

Enjoy your treats!

Janet

o

Way to go Jane. The perfect package for Pam. I love how you included so many local BC items and that you had a connection to the people that made them. Makes it all even more special.

Pam I want to see a picture of the scones when you make them. Love the directions.

Ann

PS. Pam you would still faint at some of our prices. The difference between the US and the Canadian dollar isn't that great any more. $1.89 Canadian is still about $1.66 US.

Ann

o

Yes, I did get a fabbo package. I am tickled pink with it!

The chocolate was a little melty but not too bad. I just licked the melty part off my fingers. The ones that didn't get gobbled immediately hardened up once they were in the air conditioning. I'm glad my son brought in the box so it didn't sit in the sun all day. I would have eaten the chocolate with a spoon, though.

I had to look at it all again this morning before going to work. Makes me smile.

Janet, I don't know how you made those Tasty Kakes last that long. You sure like to entertain, don't you? Glad Chance is enjoying the talking beer can opener -- that just sounds so wrong!

Here's a link to the place where Jane bought the candies and scone mix. Wish I could pop in there.

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: Milsean

o

What a fun package, all pink and mostly regional! Ice cream scoop is really cute, love the candle holders, that chocolate grand marnier has got to be awesome and I will bet the soap smells heavenly. Great job, Jane and Pam, enjoy!

o

What a fun package. And I'd sure like a peek at your recipe for peach chili sauce, Jane :-D. Great theme...enjoy, Pam.

o

Fun package! Enjoy!

o

Pink is definitely your color, Pam! I am amazed at the creativity of you all with the themes! Those watering can cangles are really cute!
Jane, you certainly did your homework on this one!

Linda

o

Cute package! The scones and the goodies from Milsean sound great!

o

Definitely a "pretty in pink" package! Wonderful job, and I'd say the whole thing was: "Made for You in Love, Loyalty and Friendship"!

o

That ice cream scooper is atoradorable!

Ummm, how does a girl go about getting some of that peach chili sauce??? The strawberry honey soap is rather awesome, also.

Enjoy Dedtired! ~ wonderful, wonderful package, TobyT!

o

Pass me some of that homemade chili sauce, fudge sauce, and a scone or two! Great package you sent TobyT!!

David

o

Oh yeah, I'd like that chili sauce recipe too, Jane!

As for the rest of the package, I think it's very fortuitous that Pam just happened to have ice cream on hand for that scoop and the fudge sauce. (grin)

Annie

o

OH, that is sooo me;) All of it! I love pink. Enjoy, Pam!!! I keep saying this but I am just amazed at these packages. Great job, TobyT!

o

It is my honor to bump this to the top again to REMIND someone that there are requests for that chili sauce recipe.

Oh yeah that and I hadn't posted yet. Nice package - I bet you were just tickled pink, eh Pam?

o

I just found out that TJ's has chili covered dried mangos. I haven't tried them yet but I'm told this is a fabulous taste combo.

I am waiting for the perfect moment to enjoy Jane's Chili Peach sauce.

The chocolates are all gone and the pink ice cream scoop has earned a place of honor as everybody's favorite ice cream scoop.

Would love that recipe, Jane!

Pam

o

Sorry about the wait - we were away for the weekend and this recipe is from my pre-computer days. I am not proud of the way my recipes were stored back then. Finding one consists of sifting through piles of clippings, recipe cards, magazine pages...I get so overwhelmed at the thought of organizing them that it never gets done. I have posted the recipe on the Recipe Exchange forum.
Jane

o
Chili Peach Sauce from TobyT

I cannot believe I am so lucky to have a jar of this sitting in my cupboard. Well, it won't be there for long!

Thanks for sharing, Jane.

Peach Chili Sauce
5 lb peaches
cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- cup finely chopped jalapeno (seeds left in if you wish)
1 cup finely chopped onion
3 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 cups pasteurized honey
cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp sea salt
Instructions
Blanch, peel and pit peaches; finely chop in a food processor and measure 6 cups. Combine all ingredients in a large stainless steel saucepan. Stirring frequently, boil over medium-high heat until mixture reaches desired consistency, 15 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
Ladle sauce into clean, hot jars to within 1/2 inch of top rim. Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims removing any stickiness. Centre lids on jars; apply screw band until fingertip tight. Place jars in canner.
Cover canner; bring water to a boil. At altitudes up to 1000 ft, process jars 15 minutes. Cool jars upright, undisturbed 24 hours. Do not retighten screw bands.
After cooling, check jar seals. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place.
Makes about 8 x 8 oz jars.

o

Don't know how I managed to miss the whole thing, but I did.
Nice theme, Jane and I love the sounds of the peach chili sauce recipe. I'm sure Pam will enjoy it all.

Nancy

o

Very creative package Jane. I love the theme.

I don't know if I would put the chocolate sauce on ice cream. I could see myself eating it from the jar.

Thanks for the recipe. I hope to get back to canning soon and this looks perfect.

Enjoy everything Pam!

Tracey

o

Great package! I love those placemats! Great corncob holders!! The watering can citronella candles are adorable. The other "pinks" are great, too! I'll bet that strawberry syrup is delicious. And OMGosh! That fudge sauce...mmmm mmmm.I'd love to try the Summer Sparkle! White Chocolate Lemon Scone mix...yes, that sounds wonderful, too! And peach chili sauce? Oh yummmm!! Candy is always good! You've got yourself a great package, Pam!! Enjoy!!

Jane...what a super job you did! Beautiful!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here