SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

WANTED: I got amazing gifts from Doucanoe!

dedtired
16 years ago

I am completely gabberflasted by my swap box from Linda (Doucanoe). My gifts are extraordinary -- really.

I got home from work, didn't see a box on the doorstep as I drove round to the back of the house. Then I opened the front door to collect the mail and -- ta da! -- there was a huge box hiding behind the bushes, all the way from Minnesota!

Here's the box:

[IMG]http://i7.tinypic.com/6akm62v.jpg[/IMG]

I tore it open and I thought I had received a box of newspaper. Well, I did sort of, but there were other things, too.

[IMG]http://i11.tinypic.com/68llnqp.jpg[/IMG]

First I pulled out this cheerful yellow bag:

[IMG]http://i9.tinypic.com/63ljp1f.jpg[/IMG]

And inside were three bottles of Wayzata Bay Seasonings!! They are made by a local company outside of Minneapolis / St. Paul. They are Northern Lights (can you read the funny description on the jar?), Spuds Seasoning and Minnesota Steak Seasoning. I am going to have fun with these, don't you know.

[IMG]http://i19.tinypic.com/4pyx46a.jpg[/IMG]

Next is a wonderful cookbook called "Abundantly Wild, collecting and cooking wild edibles in the Upper Midwest". Linda asked if I like to hike and I do very much. I have hiked around Pennsylvania and in the mountains of New York state, New Hampshire and along the Cape Cod coast. This book describes what you can forage in the woods and how to prepare them. I guess I won't eat the toad stool that's growing on my lawn at the moment.

Here's the book:

[IMG]http://i11.tinypic.com/63s0sh2.jpg[/IMG]

And here is a page about raspberries, which I have collected in the woods behind my house:

[IMG]http://i19.tinypic.com/54bv891.jpg[/IMG]

Now I have to tell you that I have saved the best for last. Inside that plain white box was an exquisite glass bowl MADE BY LINDA! Along with it is a darling beaded spoon also MADE BY LINDA! She describes the bowl as a fused/slumped bowl. She describes herself as a novice glass fusing artist. This does not look like the work of a novice. Here is the beautiful bowl, looking down on it:

[IMG]http://i14.tinypic.com/678mrn4.jpg[/IMG]

And here is the bowl from the side, so you can see the fluted edges:

[IMG]http://i14.tinypic.com/52w4qyc.jpg[/IMG]

Next is the dainty spoon wrapped with a sterling silver wire and beads.:

[IMG]http://i13.tinypic.com/4yq8m1g.jpg[/IMG]

Here are the spoon and bowl together. Don't they match well? They are intended to be a set of course, because we don't want Linda to go over three items! I can't imagine what I will use these for that will be worthy of such a fine bowl and spoon. My morning cereal? Why not! I intend to enjoy them:

[IMG]http://i14.tinypic.com/6ber3w6.jpg[/IMG]

And here is everything together in my kitchen:

[IMG]http://i7.tinypic.com/624ijqb.jpg[/IMG]

I am absolutely tickled to death with this package. I am interested in hand made and blown glass items. I visited the Sandwich Glass Museum on Cape Cod a couple years ago and that really got me interested. I have been picking up small pieces here and there, but this bowl is the star of my little collection.

I am so touched by the very personal gifts from Linda and the time and talent and thoughtfulness she put into assembling this perfect package. Thank you so much, Linda, and thank you too for your charming letter. One day I will get to Minnesota and we can go canoing, with some foraging in the woods along the way.

These swaps are sooo fun and I always feel extra close to all my swap buddies.

Pam

Comments (31)

• dedtired
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OMG, don't tell the pics don't work. I will try again. Grrrrr

I will try again shortly. I could scream.

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Dedtired the pictures work if you copy and paste omitting the IMG's into the URL box. What an absolutely wonderful swap box. Love it all, but the bowl is absoluteley exquisite! (Spelling?). Linda you are by no means a novice glass fuser! And your spoon is darling! Your bowl is absolutely stunning and you should definately be proud of your beautiful work. How wonderful to receive a swap, but that much more special when someone makes something for it, whether it is canning, artwork, quiltwork, woodwork whatever, it is that much more special. For has not only time, and supply cost gone into it, but also the person's love and heart and soul. The gift is priceless.

Linda do you do custom work? and if so do you ship to Canada? Would love to order something from you if you do!

Shelley

• Related Discussions

I got a gift!

Q

Comments (4)
    Oh I see. That's still concerning (I don't know of any cactus that wants to sit in soil so saturated). I'm not sure what to think about the color change at the top, but what concerns me is that it looks a bit wrinkled. Is it soft to the touch, or "hard" like a cactus should be? Again, I figure there's no harm in trying. Planto
    ...See More

WANTED: Perfection in a box from Doucanoe!

Q

Comments (33)
    Lucky you, Karen...I like your dishes from Linda almost as much as I like mine :)Linda, you do beautiful work. Love the gratin dish...everything looks good in those. You'll like your brown sugar bear...I have one (well, mine's a birdhouse) and it works great.It looks like a good cookbook, too, especially this time of year.
    ...See More

WANTED: Doucanoe's delightful package arrived!

Q

Comments (23)
    I'm not quite sure how I missed this one, I knew I was missing at least one. Catherine, I want to send my sympathies regarding your stepfather, I hope coming home to Linda's nice package made a small bright spot for you. That plate is really nice and could be used for so many things. The cheese tools are interesting too, I never knew there were so many tools that could be used with cheese! Annie
    ...See More

Surcie from a new friend - thanks doucanoe

Q

Comments (9)
    Ilana, I am glad it arrived safe and sound. And very happy to hear that you like it! Thanks, everyone for your nice comments. I love making stuff and even more so love to share it with special friends! Linda
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    16 years ago

(Okay, folks. Let's try this again)

I am completely gabberflasted by my swap box from Linda (Doucanoe). My gifts are extraordinary -- really.
    I got home from work, didn't see a box on the doorstep as I drove round to the back of the house. Then I opened the front door to collect the mail and -- ta da! -- there was a huge box hiding behind the bushes, all the way from Minnesota!

Here's the box:

I tore it open and I thought I had received a box of newspaper. Well, I did sort of, but there were other things, too.

First I pulled out this cheerful yellow bag:

And inside were three bottles of Wayzata Bay Seasonings!! They are made by a local company outside of Minneapolis / St. Paul. They are Northern Lights (can you read the funny description on the jar?), Spuds Seasoning and Minnesota Steak Seasoning. I am going to have fun with these, don't you know.

Next is a wonderful cookbook called "Abundantly Wild, collecting and cooking wild edibles in the Upper Midwest". Linda asked if I like to hike and I do very much. I have hiked around Pennsylvania and in the mountains of New York state, New Hampshire and along the Cape Cod coast. This book describes what you can forage in the woods and how to prepare them. I guess I won't eat the toad stool that's growing on my lawn at the moment.

Here's the book:

And here is a page about raspberries, which I have collected in the woods behind my house:

Now I have to tell you that I have saved the best for last. Inside that plain white box was an exquisite glass bowl MADE BY LINDA! Along with it is a darling beaded spoon also MADE BY LINDA! She describes the bowl as a fused/slumped bowl. She describes herself as a novice glass fusing artist. This does not look like the work of a novice. Here is the beautiful bowl, looking down on it:

And here is the bowl from the side, so you can see the fluted edges:

Next is the dainty spoon wrapped with a sterling silver wire and beads.:

Here are the spoon and bowl together. Don't they match well? They are intended to be a set of course, because we don't want Linda to go over three items! I can't imagine what I will use these for that will be worthy of such a fine bowl and spoon. My morning cereal? Why not! I intend to enjoy them:

And here is everything together in my kitchen:

I am absolutely tickled to death with this package. I am interested in hand made and blown glass items. I visited the Sandwich Glass Museum on Cape Cod a couple years ago and that really got me interested. I have been picking up small pieces here and there, but this bowl is the star of my little collection.

I am so touched by the very personal gifts from Linda and the time and talent and thoughtfulness she put into assembling this perfect package. Thank you so much, Linda, and thank you too for your charming letter. One day I will get to Minnesota and we can go canoing, with some foraging in the woods along the way.

These swaps are sooo fun and I always feel extra close to all my swap buddies.

Pam

• dedtired
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shelley -- yes I figured that out when it was too late!! What bozo I am. Also, you can see me kind of reflected in the bowl of the spoon. Doesn't my hand look weird??

You are so right -- it is a priceless gift. I wish I had this kind of talent. Thank you, Linda, from the bottom of my heart.

Pam

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Pam, actually that is quite cool, would make an interesting picture! And Linda sent it to the perfect recipient, as you obviously appreciate and love what you received. Unfortunately too many people I know, just don't like receiving homemade gifts, figure it's better if gotten from a store. They really are missing out on so many levels. Enjoy your wonderful swap!

Shelley

• User
    16 years ago

Linda, you put together an amazing gift for Pam and stayed within the rules too. I'm impressed. The dish and spoon is absolutely beautiful and how special for Pam that you made it especially for her. The herb mixes sound great and so does the cookbook.

Ann

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Beautiful gifts Linda....just gorgeous!

Michelle

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Whew! I just posted on the mail thread that I sent it 9 days ago and was wondering if it got lost! Can't believe it took so long to get there, but I am sure glad it finally arrived!

I am so glad you like everything, Pam! I tried to match your blue and green theme with the bowl and spoon. And the book almost stayed here, I was so intrigued by some of the edibles one can find in the great outdoors!

You are so welcome, it was a joy to put this package together for you!

Linda

• dedtired
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Linda I love all my gifts more than words can say. Yes, the book is terrific and I have it right in front of me as I am typing this. I know we have many of these wild edibles around here. We sure have plenty of dandelions and violets and plantains-- I have a whole yard full of them! We have watercress and mushrooms and much more. I will keep my eyes open as I walk through the woods. I never heard of a Serviceberry -- have you?

And the bowl and spoon! What can I say? Perfection!

You are a dear friend to send these to me.

Pam

• brenda55
    16 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful bowl, Linda. You are truly talented. Pam, what a wonderful swap box. The spices sound very interesting, as well as the cookbook. But, that bowl is exceptional! Great job!

Brenda

• blueiris24
    16 years ago

Love your box, especially the spoon and dish - beautiful!

• compumom
    16 years ago

Great box of goodies! I absolutely love that bowl and precious spoon. The spices and seasonings look very interesting- please keep up posted!

• homesforsale
    16 years ago

You are one talented lady!

I don't even know what process involved in making such a beautiful bowl..It's gorgeous Linda..I love the spoon too:)
    Just terrific..and those spices especially the most unique one!

• andi_2006
    16 years ago

Linda, the bowl and spoon are stunning!! You are very talented!! The book sounds very interesting and the spices will be great for summer grilling. Enjoy, Pam!

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Wow! What great choices. Beautifully done. Enjoy!

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

I have been the recipient of one of Linda's wonderful swap boxes. I love my gifts from her and everyone ask about the beautiful plates she sent me.

Linda, great job, as always.

Pam, I know you will enjoy this package! You lucky girl ;-)

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Another lucky recipient of Linda's amazing glass work!

I just HAD to go to that spice website to see if their ingredient list matched anything at Penzeys. They don't list ingredients, so enjoy your unique blends! That 'don't you know' makes me want to go rent Fargo again.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jessy -- I loved that movie. The Minnesota twang was too funny. Just watch out for wood chippers.

When I'm home I'll post the ingredients in the spices.

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

What a amazing gift box.....
    Linda what a amazing glass bowl...

Enjoy Pam...The seasonings and book will be fun to use..

Linda P

• craftyrn
    16 years ago

OMG Linda, that bowl is just stunning ! And that hand wrapped spoon just makes it more beautiful. I just love seeing artisans share their work-- it's like you've received a bit of them.

That sounds like a great book--lots of practical knowledge just waiting for you, Pam.

And what's not to like in those spice/herb blends !

• annie1992
    16 years ago

I agree, the bowl is just stunning and the spoon makes it perfect, it's so unique and beautiful.

What a lovely swap gift.

Annie

• diana55
    16 years ago

WOW!!! I love the Bowl & Spoon. Pam you will enjoy those!!!Way to go Linda!!! Diana 55

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Great gifts..the bowl is such a pretty color!

• alison
    16 years ago

I could see why the dish would want to run away with that spoon! But I'm sure the spoon would prefer to stay at home with that bowl.*

The book looks really intriguing -- so much good summer reading around here!

Do you have to have the accent to use the seasoning, or does the seasoning produce the accent? You have to let us know!

Lovely, personal package Linda; enjoy, Pam!

*Obscure nursery rhyme reference that sounded more amusing in my head...

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Holy mackerel! Linda you certainly are not a novice. That is a beautiful bowl and spoon set. It's so special getting one-of-a-kind handmade items - direct from a talented CFer - dontcha know!

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Yah, sure, youbetcha!

LOL

Thanks for the compliments on the bowl and spoon. My work is improving but I still need a lot of practice!

Linda

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

I'm thinking you don't need anymore practice Linda....that bowl and spoon are flippin amazing!!! Too cool!! I've loved all of the different local spice blends I've received in the past and I'm sure Pam will enjoy these too. Yah.....Linda....great package. Enjoy it all Pam!

David

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

AMAZING BOWL! That is somethin else!
    Great package..and those spices are kick!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am also having fun reading the newspaper that was used as packing material. Life in Minnesota is different from life in Philadelphia. To start, it seems most of the population there have last names that end in "sen" "son" or "gren", or start with "van" or have double vowels --"aa" or "uu".

It seems to be a less hectic place and it's fun to read the birth announcements. Even in our local paper we don't have those sorts of sweet things. Only obituaries.

Minnesota seems like a very nice place and, as Jessy can attest, I am picking up the accent, you betcha.

• KatieC
    16 years ago

yeahyeah...novice...I heard that one before. Linda, your work is absolutely beautiful, as usual. Lucky you, Pam! I love my doucanoe originals.

The spices look really interesting, and now I'm wondering if they put a cookbook out like that for different regions.

• chancesmom
    16 years ago

Wow Linda, that bowl is really special. I am so glad to see you got such a special package, Pam.

janet