SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tikanas2

WANTED: Large Box

Tikanas2
17 years ago

Hi

I am Tikanas' "DD". There is a large box on the porch and I am supposed to tell you this RIGHT AWAY!

Your swap thing is a lot bigger than I thought! How many of you guys are doing this?

I want to open the box now, but I better not.

Ok Mom, You are all posted. See you at 6:00

Comments (50)

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

OK this is cute!!!

Go ahead DD. I'm sure Mom won't mind!! LOL!

• stacy3
    17 years ago

Hi DD! I just looked and I think there are 53 of us in the swap this time.

thank you for posting - I'm sure the sender is happy to know it's there! (even thought I just watched UPS AND the mail truck drive right on by my house for today......no package for me.)

Stacy :-)

• Related Discussions

Will pluots do okay in a large planter box?

Q

Comments (2)
    They'll do OK at least for 5 years, probably longer. In 15 gal pots they need replanting every few years. After about 5 years without repotting the vigor drops below what is needed to make good fruit. Your planter is a lot bigger than a 15 gal pot so the trees should last longer. You could get a multigrafted tree which might reduce root crowding. Getting the trees on Citation vs a more vigorous rootstock might help a little as well. What are your favorite cultivars? Mine are (earliest to latest) Flavor Supreme, Geo Pride, Flavor Grenade, Flavor King, Flavor Finale, and Flavor Treat.
    ...See More

Need ideas, how to wrap large gift

Q

Comments (20)
    Check out your local dollar store. I've cut up their shower curtains or disposable plastic tablecloths to use as gift wrap for large gifts. The nice thing about them is that they're tough enough to withstand the odd shapes and won't let them poke through. They also hold up well when your heavy or big package is being pushed along a floor or transported. I either gather the ends together around it, cut off the excess, tie it with a heavy duty rubberband and then finish with a big ribbon bow . . . or I use it like wrapping paper, cutting it to size and using clear package tape on it. I use that same tape to hold on a big bow. Lynn
    ...See More

Large Box - Is this OK?

Q

Comments (4)
    Looks good to me. That's what those little holes are for. Just be sure that when you ground the box you use the appropriate tapped hole and screw (I think that's likely that smaller hole in the back of the box (that there's only one of that size).
    ...See More

large wooden planting boxes for roof deck

Q

Comments (1)
    Seal the inside (and do the outside as well) of your planter boxes. There are various, natural based, plant-friendly waterproof sealers on the market made for this purpose.
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    17 years ago

Hi DD! Don't you dare open that box, although you can take a picture of it. Are we nuts, or what? It's fun, though.

Tell Mom to get her butt home. Inquiring minds want to know!

Pam

• paulines
    17 years ago

Hi DD! It was sweet of you to post for your mom, I'd get the eye roll from my DDs.

WhoaHoo Tikanas, it's heeeeere!

• stacy3
    17 years ago

maybe we can bribe her to at least tell us what the return address says...

yes, Pam, we're nuts...

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

"Oh," the box is saying, "I have traveled so far and need to stretch. The tape is killing me, my contents are in need of air. Go on, open me up, don't listen to those CF people, your mom won't mind."

• dlundin
    17 years ago

LOL, Renee. You a funny girl.

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

How great for you to let us know it arrived!!! Can't wait to hear more about it.... tee hee!! and see Pics. Hope it all arrived safely :)

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

OK, it is 6:25 where I am...where are you tikanas? Who and where is it from!!!

janet

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hardy har! This is a great day to bug our MoM. Now we know where she hangs out!

S~ We are both here waiting for MoM to get home. We looked at all the photos and you guys sent eachother some great stuff! And you are funny too.

B~~If we cooked, we would hang here too.

S~Where can I get that weenie guy?

B~~ You are too young for the weenie guy. We are going to really get it when Ma gets home. Oh well. Let's check out the dinner thread. That box came from the east coast.

S~ NOW we are in trouble!

• dedtired
    17 years ago

No -- you just fell under the spell of the evil Bubbeskitchen, although Jessy usually gets to wear that hat.

The east, hmmm.

Funny, funny kids.

• traceys
    17 years ago

You guys are too funny. Now go open that box. Tell your mom you thought something was leaking. I won't tell her.

Tracey

• dedtired
    17 years ago

Where the heck is she? What time zone are you in, anyway? The Twilight Zone?

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

S & B, you are CF'ers in the making if ever I had my way. Never mind photos of the boxed stuff, I want photos of you two!

Okay, its 8:35 in NY and Mom's a naughty stay-out!

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

you guys are great! And what self control, just looking at the box!! I don't think I could do it. Now, let's see... by my calculations, it's 6:00 on the west coast... And the crowd here is getting rowdy!!! :)

• dedtired
    17 years ago

Me, too, Bubbe. There better be pictures of these two bad kids along with the box contents.

9:08 EDT -- even though it's dark, so how can it be Daylight time?

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So sorry to be late!

Jessy called me at 4:00 to report that my kids were posting on the CF so I hurried home as fast as I could to do damage control.
    Note to my kids: Its a good thing you made dinner else you'd be in hot water : ) Now stay away from my cooking forum!!! And NEVER EVER open my swap box, you smart alecs

You would not believe what I got from CT!

Bizzo, do you even know how to COUNT??? There is so much stuff in this box, I cannot begin to tell you all!

My theme is "A bit of New England". Straight from Mystic Seaport, I received a TON of goodies!

Things from New England baking:
    whole nutmeg
    and a nutmeg grinder to go with ( i have never had whole nutmeg before! This is gonna be fun.
    New England leaf cookie cutter have me aching for the Fall right now. These little babies are so cute! I resolve (and my kids will push me...) to bake more this Fall. I am imagining orange and gold colored frosted morsels!
    A digital timer on a rope! My cookies ain't burnin' now, baby! I know I should have posted here first but I HAD to check out this timer.

Next, was a bit of New England Flavor:
    A cute little jug of Vermont maple syrup ( I see waffles on the menu this weekend)
    2 moose maple lollipops which are SO cute!

Next is a bit of New England coast...
    The cutest claw cracker EVER! from Maine.Bright red and lookin' just like a crab claw, this is PERFECT!!
    Lighthouse spreaders that are just darling!
    Ocean smoked sea salt blend. I have been saying all year that I am going to try gourmet salts.
    The cutest set 0of seafood forks. I gotta plan a party here!
    And a darling lobster bib!

Next is Some Traditional fare:
    New England Indian pudding
    cranvberry Bog Frogs from Cape Cod (no, I am NOT sharing these!)
    Flo's hot dog relish. ( I am running out of places to store condiments but the kids and I agree that this won't last long in OUR house)I had drooled over the thought of this relish before and Bizzo included a link to the thread where I did just that.
    New England hot dog buns! I had never seen anything like these and yes, Bizzo, they traveled well.!
    Last but not least, a Mystic seaport cookbook, "a New England Table, filled with wonderful recipes.

Oh, this is just THE BEST swap package! I love everything! I loved the Mystic Seaport postcard included and the letter with the map pointing out the difference between my coast and yours. Bizzo, I am so glad that you are so mathematically challenged! ( This woman CANNOT count to five!)

We are taking photos as I write this and will post them in the morning.

You know Bizzo, I grew up in Montauk, LI in the shadow of a lighthouse. Crab and lobster are my favorite foods and I LOVE and miss all of our family trips to New England. This is very clever pkg.

Thank you Bizzo!

Tikanas

• ann_t
    17 years ago

I'm just getting caught up on the exchange threads. This one is a favourite. Love that your kids posted.

What a wonderful swap box. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Ann

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

Glad it arrived! Glad you like it! Glad the new England buns made it in one piece and without mold (this hot humid stuff made me a bit scared).

OBTW, there are 5 categories... 4 Main ones, and then the shopping bags that I used to hold things (unless the UPS lady didn't include them)

But, really, I had so much fun, I didn't know where to stop!

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Oh wow. Too much fun. Tikanas, how did your kids react when they found out they had been busted! We all watch out for each other, right?

I've been to Montauk (I still have a t-shirt I wear from there) AND Mystic Seaport in 2001, I think. Yeah, we ate at Mystic Pizza, LOL. Great places! Oh yeah, nice job Bizzo of putting together 'a taste of'. I love reading about regional goodies. Enjoy Tikanas (and don't forget to invite me over)

• kent4489
    17 years ago

Tikanas, ooh, this was worth waiting for. Great package. Looking forward to pics.
    Bizzo, love, love your theme. Good going.

Jayne

• trixietx
    17 years ago

What a bounty! Everything sounds wonderful.

Tikanas, your kids are too cute.

Can't wait to see pictures!

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

Waiting for pix of the gifts, and the kids are BAD!

Sounds like a great box, but what is Indian pudding and what is so special about those hot dog buns. Inquiring minds want to know.

jant

• traceys
    17 years ago

Tikansas your kids are funny. You didn't yell too much did you?

What a great taste of New England. Nice package Bizzo.

I can't wait to see pics. Hurry up!

Tracey

• Marigene
    17 years ago

Tikanas you got a great box from Bizzo, makes me homesick for New England! Wish I could find hotdog rolls here like back home.

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

I couldn't wait to wake up this morning and check this thread! Hysterical!!! Great kids tikansas.

Bizzo, yep, you done good!!!

• annie1992
    17 years ago

OK, I'll wait for pictures too. But, tell me, what IS the difference between hot dog buns here (or in California) and hot dog buns in New England?

Annie

• stacy3
    17 years ago

I think they're those ones I can only occasionally get here where the sides are chopped off??? It's a little like folding a piece of bread. You can grill the bun on both sides with a little butter. sorry for my lame description - lol.

But I love them and look for them all the time.

I'm waiting for pics, too.

Stacy

• KatieC
    17 years ago

Weenie Guy...rofl

• Marigene
    17 years ago

For you folks that don't know what NE style hotdog rolls are!

Here is a link that might be useful: New England style hotdog rolls

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

Yep, those are the ones, like folded bread (but you have to toast them yourself LOL!) When we first moved here from Michigan almost three years ago, we were a bit surprised by them!!

This was my first swap and I had so much fun, I sure plan to play again!!!

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Of COURSE you'll play again! You are so good at it : )

I am learning how to post pics today and I can't wait for all to see. I have to teach a CPR class, but I'll try my hand at the pics as soon as I am done.

Tikanas (we are fighting over the cranberry bog frogs)

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

Tikansas, So who is teaching you to post pics? You kids?

That is so cool; my DD would be doing the eye rolling thing too. I haven't dared to tell her that I am going to Michigan to meet "people from the Internet"!

I was born in NH and never thought about those buns being a NE thing. Makes a lot of sense. I can't wait to see what the bog frogs are--don't tell Shaun about them.

• dedtired
    17 years ago

Are we ever going to see this?? Have your kids hijacked them?

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just don't know how to do this!

The kids said they would help, but naturally, they are nowhere to be found. Last swap I emailed pics to Ann T who posted them for me.. Now, with my new computer , I don't even know where to start!

I have to go back up to church but I'll try again when I get home.

Don't get those chonies in a twist yet Pam! I have my hands full with the lice thingy.... : ) ( see limerick thread)

Tikanas

• dedtired
    17 years ago

Tee hee. Your kids are just so funny I couldn't resist poking fun at them. Sad truth is my younger son has lice two times when he was little. They were going through his school. It was awful. I will never use the term "nit-picking" again since I have actually done it.

I'd be happy to post your pics if you can email them to me.

What are chonies??

• Tikanas2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chonies are underpants! So glad my "nit picking" days are over too!

I will email you...

Tikanas

• paulines
    17 years ago

Bizzo, great swap box! Everyone should have a taste of New England ;)

Tikanas, your kids are adorable!
    I just bought some whole nutmeg and love what it does to anything (and everything) with cream or milk in it. I'm even putting it in spinach (do you think it would be good in spanikopita?). Enjoy your goodies!

• Bizzo
    17 years ago

Tikanas, send your pics to me, and I'll post for you.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Well, I was here looking for pictures, but at least I got an explanation of the hot dog rolls.

That's odd, I've been on vacation to Maine twice, spent 2 weeks each time and never saw one of those. Even the lobster sandwich I got at a roadside stand was in a plain old hot dog bun, just like I get at home.

Annie

• lori316
    17 years ago

Great box, Bizzo.

(I hope somebody else west of me likes the same theme! ;) )

Those hotdog buns are just a New England thing? I didn't even know. They are good, but they must be toasted. I think that might be an official law on the books. ;)

And Flo's hot dog relish... lucky you!

Tikanas, your kids had me in stitches. I hope the whole gang enjoys the swap package.

• lowspark
    17 years ago

Great swap package! Everything sounds so wonderful, can't WAIT to see pix!! Hint hint...

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

The theme is adorable, but I want pix!!!

• alison
    17 years ago

What a wonderful package. I've only been to New England a few times, but I recognize some of the items.

And how fun that all the family got involved in the anticipation!

• granjan
    17 years ago

I once had a lobster roll in one of those toasted buns when I went to Cape Cod. Before that I could NEVER understand why it was traditional to put wonderful lobster salad in a hot dog bun!

Great New England package even if you didn't send the live lobsters!

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

I've been off line for 2 days! Finally got service back.
    NOW, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!! I want to compare your lobster/crab thingies with my crawfish thingies.

OMG, it's a great package, Bizzo. My mouth is watering.

Tikanas, have fun with the goodies and your kids. They are a riot.

Bubbe

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

This thread is way too funny...I need to go back and reread!

Tik , those kids of yours are a blast.....should have sold them at birth!

• shaun
    17 years ago

Frogs? Did someone say frogs?

Your kids had me cracking up! Especially the part about the weinie ! hahahaha!!! Enjoy your goodies, can't wait to see pics!

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

Great theme, bizzo. I can't wait to see pictures of the nutmeg grinder. The kids are hilarious, Tikanas! Enjoy it all and how nice that it reminds you are your childhood.

Montauk - The End:)

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

What a great package! I love the them and would enjoy every bit of this one! Super job Bizzo! Enjoy Tikanas!!