SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bubbeskitchen

WANTED: Received: Lovely Lousiana Lady Lavishes Luxuries

bubbeskitchen
17 years ago

Oh Karen, I can see why there is a 1 after your screen name; youre 1st in my book.

Wait until you see what cleverness awaited me in a box.

Let me first tell you that I came home last night after 10:00 and our doorman said that I had a box from UPS. I was tired from the weekend celebrations and just said, "thanks, hold it for the morning," and I went to our apartment, got into a robe. I hadnÂt been on the computer since Friday so I went to check my mail. What awaited me was a SOS or BTW or heads-up from our intrepid leader, Ann, that I my package was delivered and my swap buddy was awaiting a response that all was safe. I knew it must be because my doormen tell us if things are rattling or leaking.

Okay, okay, IÂm getting to it, gees! So I go to sleep but awake at 4:00 AM and now I canÂt fall back to sleep IÂm so excited to find out whatÂs in it. The mailroom is locked and I had to wait until 7:00.

Tah-Dah, drum roll, banjo, horn:

The box is large and filled with goodies all wrapped in pretty paper and ribbons. There are color themes to the paper I learn later when I open the "wait until last" envelop so all I know is the box is from Louisiana, but my tired brain doesnÂt figure out who lives there and there is no name on the shipping box just an address.

I donÂt know where to begin, but being an Aries, I go for the red wrapping. Actually crawfish color. Later I read that these goodies are (Theme 1) "Local Louisiana La La" what I find are  1. Raspberry Pepper Jelly  I am waiting to try that with something soon

2. Mayhaw Jelly - donÂt know what Mayhaw is, but a spoonful said "YUM!"

(Okay, this is a brain test because with everything in front of me, I donÂt remember what was in what color for sure)

3. A bottle of blackberry wine from AmatoÂs a Louisiana Native Winery (too early to try, shucks!)

4. The most lovely, and might I say, sexy wooden spoons. Perfect for stirring up anything, but I promise to use them for a roux and Cajun dish first.

5. And good thing because, KaryÂs Dry Roux should make me look expert the first try

6. Gumbo Filé to add for the quintessential dish

7. Please tell me that the Jasmin rice was in redÂI think it was, but whichever it came from, it smells fragrant right through the Hoppe Farms bag. I love rice.

The Yellow Package (Theme 2) is "Loafin in Louisiana." Loafin my arse! Who could sit back and ignore the beckoning of such a splendid 8.) piece of pottery from "nationally known potters David and Emily Wortman?" Such a beautiful hand potted piece. Thank you Karen I will use it so proudly! It is stunning!

Next I opened (and by the way, I felt like a kid at a surprise party the whole time) the "Lovely Linen" (Theme 3) wrapped in purple. Exquisite 9. linens with Crawfish on them. Pristine white towel and matching cocktail napkins with faggoting or cut-work hems.

"Look Ân Like" (theme 4) was a pair of cookbooks wrapped in tan: 10. Creole Cookery, first published by 32 ladies of the Christian WomanÂs Exchange in 1885 and the format of this 2005 publication is just the same as then, so donÂt mess with success. The recipes are straight-forward and my stomach is rumbling. Number 11. Is entitled, Pirates Pantry and is from the Junior League of Lake Charles. I feel I should replicate the Julie Julia project and cook from cover to cover! There is even a sketched instruction of the peeling of crawfish. Clearly I will need a bit of tutorial on eating Creole and Cajun food.

The final theme is "Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler" Let the good times roll, indeed! Oh my my my, merci, mais vous êtes trop exagéré ! 12. The plates the bowls for two are utterly perfect for serving etouffé or gumbo, or whatever else I learn to make from my new cookbooks.

Karen, I only hope you know how appreciative I am of your generousity and your spirit. I loved you note and if you get to New York with DH, weÂll treat you to dinner not the other way around.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart (and growling stomach)!

Renée

PS. If I took the time to embed the photos it would be tomorrow when I posted this so please check the link below

Comments (55)