SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie2094

HAVE: Granjan is Grand!

maggie2094
17 years ago

I am truly floored by the box I receieved today from Granjan. I am grinning from ear to ear. I was leaving the house when I saw the box on the porch. Hey, doesnt UPS even ring the bell anymore? I had to run out so I put it in the house. I didnÂt recognize the name but when I saw Berkeley, CA I knew It must be the great Granjan. I was so excited!!! Her posts always stand out to me because Berkeley just appeals to me and I admire her food philosophy. Here is the box  all 23 pounds!

{{gwi:1463703}}
 Â

WouldnÂt you know today I have overnight guests coming. Don't they know I want to be alone with my swap box and admire my presents all night long :D

Here is everything wrapped. I am amazed at the time put into this.

{{gwi:1463704}}
 Â

I just donÂt know if I can do this justice  it is so amazing. Here are the categories and cards.

{{gwi:1463705}}
 Â

Janet said my post about leading a "flip flop" casual lifestyle inspired her. She wrote how she enjoyed shopping for fun things because her entertaining style is more formal. She could not have been more on target. Did I tell you that I actually skipped around the house today? (oh yeah I can skip in flip flops)

Cook It UP

Â

{{gwi:1463707}}
Â

Â
{{gwi:1463710}}

Brunch Cookbook: Janet is an expert on this subject. I am looking forward to reading this. I peeked and the first recipe I saw was donut muffins  thatÂs for me. She also related the pancakes to flip flops  clever!

Cedar Grilling Planks: These are large!

High Heat Spatula: Can you see the clever design on this? You can use both ends.

Bash and Chop: I have always always wanted one of these. Janet explained that it is really a dough or bench scraper  one of her favorite tools. Also great for getting veggies in the pan.

The Dip Cooler

SERVE IT ON

{{gwi:1463713}}

{{gwi:1463716}}
 Â

Frog Plate and Dish: I canÂt stop looking at this. I have never seen anything like it. See that the dish is footed? The frogs are adorable. This is gorgeous.

{{gwi:1463718}}
 Â

{{gwi:1463719}}
 Â

Cake Plate and Server: I canÂt stop staring at this. OMG! The server. Janet said she loved that the black and white border matched the frog plate. This will forever and ever be a tradition in our house to have your birthday cake on this plate. Guess what? My son and I share the same birthday and it is next month! I donÂt know if I can wait to use this, though.

{{gwi:1463720}}
 Â

Flower Chip and Dip and cake flower plates: This is so me. It just looks like summer.

SPREAD IT OUT

{{gwi:1463721}}
 Â

{{gwi:1463722}}

(oops that bottom box doesn't belong there)

Flamingo Flip Flop Cheese Plate: Where does she find these unique things? Is this cool, or what? Janet recalled the highlight of her trip to Southwest France was the flamingos.

Spreaders: Too cute or what? The colors match the glasses, too!

Chocolate Body Frosting: Ah hem. Gotta go!!! HeeeÂJanet mentioned something about Jessy hereÂ.

DRINK IT DOWN

{{gwi:1463723}}
 Â

{{gwi:1463724}}

Flip Flop glasses: More flip flops! Cute and colorful.

Drink Umbrellas: Need these for my rum cocktails!

AHA Mini Hot Peppers: Janet recommends these as a garnish for martinis. Dirty martinis will be featured for my guests tomorrow with these adorable pepper garnishes.

Rocket pop molds: Now I only just posted a few days ago asking someone here about where to get the pop molds (Sburkhart). My son loves rockets and usually starts asking for a pop about 10 minutes after he wakes up. I canÂt wait to surprise him with a rocket pop!

Here it isÂI could barely fit it all in one photo.

{{gwi:1463725}}
 Â

I am not kidding when I tell you I could just faint dead away. Janet put so much care in her beautiful presentation and lovely notes and stickers. I donÂt remember having this much fun with gifts since I was a kid at Christmas. All of these things are just the things I always look at and want but just donÂt spend the money on myself most times. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Now back to that chocolate frosting...

Comments (40)

• compumom
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a terrific package! So many great items, it's hard to comment on just one. I'd be happy to take that frog in pond plate or the birthday platter and knife off your hands....
    Jan you did an outstanding job and I know Maggie is going to have a great time using it!

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

Great score Maggie! Some really unique things in that package! Enjoy them all.

Granjan you are too much!

Janet

• Related Discussions

Happy Birthday granjan!

Q

Comments (13)
    Very best birthday wishes from me too, Janet! Sol And Sharon, I want a garden just like yours, in my next life. Who do I talk to about that?
    ...See More

Happy Birthday Granjan!

Q

Comments (24)
    Thanks so much all of you. I have been having computer problems for months so my visits have been irregular. I switched to a new Mac and I love it but there is a learning curve! And the new Mac didn't help too much with the wirelesss network problems. (We are on our 3rd router.) Too much traffic around here. I actually spent my birthday very happily baking all day, something I don't allow my self to do very often. Unfortunately, it was for the reception after the funeral of our dear friends father. I did go out to dinner with family including my mother and brother who are visiting from Iowa. Today was Norm's birthday. after the funeral and reception we went into the city for a Commonwealth Club panel of political talking heads from the NY Review of Books, his choice, but very good. Thursday we leave for a visit with friends in NJ and a week in Rome. We voted last week, so please don't send me that message that the election result is all my fault! I've gotten it 7 times already and I ALWAYS vote. (Stocked up on campaign buttons to hand out to the Italians.)
    ...See More

For granjan: Kalter Hund

Q

Comments (4)
    The picture on the Palmin site looks similar to a chocolate matzah cake my husband's aunt used to make for passover. The matzahs were dipped in sweet wine. I don't have her recipe but remember that she melted dark chocolate and added who-knows-what to it, then constructed the cake the way this one is done, refridgeratd it over night before serving. It was lovely in spite of its base of matzah! Question: Does the hot palmin cook the eggs? I would be afraid to serve a raw egg concoction.
    ...See More

I felt I've been shamed for not having grand kids ....

Q

Comments (68)
    Heehee. To the "I'm not going to be around forever. You need to consider that." BS , I have responded, " I have considered it. Whose gonna take the brats off my hands when your dead? " Oooo I know, that's awful. But I had really had it with being talked to like a brood mare. But as in have never been married,that was always thrown in there too. Like it didn't matter WHO sired the things, just find something with a pulse and some sperm,drag him down the aisle,and start producing wench!!!!! Luckily,none of this foolishness came from my parents. As my 5 older siblings have provided them with 15 grandchildren, now aged 2 to 17, they hardly notice that I have none to add to the pack, and have never really mentioned it. My sister was probably the worst, until I started my relationship with SO 10 years or so ago. As she and her hubby have some sort of misguided moral objection to race mixing, the baby nagging stopped quite abruptly. Another win for the spinster (even if not an old MAID)
    ...See More
  • sburkhart
    17 years ago

Oh MY! Some really neat things. I love those tumblers and dishes, just too cool!

Granjan you really put your heart into this, great job

ENJOY!
    Stacey

• homesforsale
    17 years ago

I would faint dead away too..

What a nice package..I am truly taken aback,it is like Christmas on this forum..
    Through the exchange you all did I learned abot Tovolo's great little items and will keep an open eye..
    Numerous other in my head lusts for the kitchen.. This is like a shopping trip in my fav stores (kitchen) with people who make terrific suggestions:)

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

So much fun packed into one box! Gran Jan that is an amazing swap, must have been so much fun putting it together. Maggie I bet your guests are in awe, I am!!

• Marigene
    17 years ago

OMG! What a colorful, fun package. I love those serving pieces, especially the flip flop flamingo cheese server. Gran Jan you did a terrific job amassing so many cute and unique pieces!

• arabellamiller
    17 years ago

That is a beautiful swap package. Kudos on the presentation, just gorgeous.

I'm dying for the recipe for donut muffins!

AM

• shaun
    17 years ago

OMG! I DID faint dead away! I can't believe all the adorable things you got!

That cake plate and the cake cutter is just so cute! I loved it all - the colors, so pretty!

Good job Granjan!

• kent4489
    17 years ago

Maggie, that is really a fun package. So many neat things!
    Janet, as always, you put together a super package.

Jayne

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

No wonder it took so long! UPS had to find their extra big delivery truck. I heard that their most hunky delivery guy drives it, too bad you didn't get to see him.

Have a wonderful time playing with all of your goodies.

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

Wow! What a really fun and unique group of goodies! A great theme, Janet - so clever! Have fun with all your swap gifts, Maggie. Now....how was that chocolate body frosting????

Teresa

• dedtired
    17 years ago

Well, flip my flop. That's amazing and very generous. I never knew there were so many flip-flop items out there. I love that serving dish. Goody goody!

Pam

• riverrat1
    17 years ago

Ohhhh, I didn't think so much fun could be packed in a box! Great job Janet!

I love the fact that you will be setting a tradition by having your families birthday cake on that platter. I LOVE traditions! You will think of Janet at every birthday and that is what I love about these swaps. EVERYTIME I use something I have gotten in a swap I think of that person in a loving way. Enjoy!

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

Jan, where in the world do you find so many beautiful and whimsical things? I am ine awe....
    Maggie, control yourself! Okay, don't. I know that I couldn't with that wonderful bounty in front of me!

Linda

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

I am speechless! Well, almost.

I love color and that is the most colorful presentation and collection of fun any one box could hold.

Maggie, How will you ever decide which one of those adorable serving peices to use? Not the cake plate, I get that, but the frogs or the divided server? They all warrant immediate use. Let's have a virtual party at your house. I have flip-flops somewhere.

The scraper thingie is invaluable in my house for all kinds of prep and clean up.

Super-duper swap gift, Janet. Wow!

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

Okay people, I believe we need a lesson here!

Repeat after me:

One

Two

Three

Four

Five!

LOL!!! I announce the offical death of the "mini" swap!

Super swap box you got Maggie - enjoy!

• granjan
    17 years ago

I had such fun putting this box together. Since Maggie said she liked a flip flop, island life style I just succumbed to bright, casual, fun things. The kind of things I'd like IF I really could use my deck for summer meals. (Always too cool in the evening, last week's heat was a RARE exception.)

I was looking for just flip or flop things; pancakes and frogs flip?, right, but couldn't find enough to work. And flop was HARD!

I wasn't sure about the birthday plate but the border went well with the frog plate and once you put something on the plate who can see the birthday cake? I went back and forth several times but it kept calling to me. And now I know that it was because Maggie and her son REALLY needed it for their birthdays next month!

Since Maggie, like me, lives in an area with access to almost all food stuffs I stayed away from edibles. But the body frosting was too cute, even if the only place you spread it is on your finger! (I'll shut up now!)

• brenda55
    17 years ago

Flip-flopping fantastic! Everything is so adorable. Great job, Janet. Traditions... yeah, we like traditions and what better way to memoralize a swap, Maggie!

Brenda

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

What a fun package, Maggie! LOL thinking of you skipping around in your flip flops -- Granjan, what a great box you put together. Enjoy!

• alison
    17 years ago

I'd flip over a package like that, too! The serving pieces are just fantastic, and I love the spatula and scraper, too.

Great package!

• paulines
    17 years ago

lol @ Gina!

GranJan, you managed to pack a swap box loaded with whimsey & fun ~ the black & white borders on the plates are awesome!

Oh Maggie, have fun & lots of smiles with your bounty!

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Maggie, that is a fun and very cute package. I love the cake plate and the frog platter and....

Well, I'm not going to mention that body frosting. Much.

Annie

• dlundin
    17 years ago

Yeah, I don't know where to start either but I know Maggie will start having some fun! That is a whopper of a package. Grand job, GranJan! And learn to count, will ya? Oh, never mind, Gina's declared the time of death for the mini. Enjoy!

• granjan
    17 years ago

There seem to be very few good counters around here. But I don't think there's anything wrong with being numerically challenged! I feel color coding is much more useful. So there! Janet

• deanna1949
    17 years ago

Maggie--I'm so tickled that you received such an awesome package! You send some really awesome packages yourself.

You are going to have such fun with this package of wonderful goodies! Way to go, Granjan!

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

Maggie, I got the first swap box granjan even sent and it floored me also. She is ubergenerous! And very creative. I love everything you got!

• goldgirl
    17 years ago

Wow, what a package! I just love unusual dishes. Enjoy everything :)

• stacy3
    17 years ago

Hey I got those Tovolo's molds too - from Alison! They're in the freezer now! What a fabulous package - granjan...so unique and fun!

Maggie, your description takes the cake! I think it got us all caught up in it - lol!

Stacy

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bubbe, you are right! Everyone - get your flip flops and let's party. I still have my guests and have been so busy I haven't taken pictures:( I used the hot peppers in our martinis - excellent and cute. Earlier today we had iced tea in the glasses - I didn't realize they are tall ice tea glasses and I did use the umbrellas, too!

My guests are my BIL and wife and two kids. He is a chef and Chase - you are right - they are in awe!

Oh, and I made 3 types of pops. My son had the blueberry one this morning (it was okay because it was just blueberries and milk so it counts as breakfast!)

AM - at your request - I hope you see this. I may try them tomorrow - I need to know if they really taste like doughnuts! I know you are so good with your cupcakes and hope you make them.

Doughnut Muffins
    ========================
    makes 12 muffins

6 ounces butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
    1 cup superfine sugar
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    generous 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nugmeg
    generous 1 cup milk

Topping
    1/2 cup superfine sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons butter, melted

Grease 12 cup muffin pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well between additions.

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg together. Add half to the creamed mixture with half of the milk. Gently fold the ingredients together before incorporating the remianing flour and milk. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan, filling each hole to about two-thrirds full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the muffins are lightly brown and firm to the touch.

For the topping, mix the sugar and cinnamon together. While the muffins re still warm from the oven, brush lightly with melted butter, and sprinkle over the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Eat warm or cold.

Note: It is important to brush the warm muffins with the melted butter and sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture over them immediatley. If you wait too long the butter will sink into the muffins and the sugar will not stick.

• ann_t
    17 years ago

Okay it is official Janet is the most math challenged on this forum. LOL!

Very nice package. I especially love that the frog plate. Too cute. I like the idea of that spatula too and the Brunch Cookbook.

Enjoy all your new treats Maggie.

Ann

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

Such a fun, interesting and thoughtful package!

• finally
    17 years ago

Wowza! What a great package Janet! I love the themes and the colorful presentation, too. Hope the UPS man didn't get a hernia!

I love having special dishes for special occasions like birthdays etc. That cake plate is sooo cool! I love the server. You'll have many special memories with that and all your fun flip-flop items!

And thanks for posting the Doughnut Muffin recipe! I can't wait to try it!

~finally

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

Oh Boy ! - now that's a fun package !! Very clever tying it all together Janet -- whimsical & useful and certainly a good read on Maggie .

Maggie you'll have a great time using all that bounty.

Diane

• traceys
    17 years ago

Janet that is one amazing package. It's a good thing you didn't have a bigger box who knows what would have ended up in there.

Maggie I want to see a cake on that plate! Enjoy your treats!

Tracey

• jessyf
    17 years ago

Oh my. Not only do I second Gina, but this box has so much to covet that I'm almost thinking of suggesting 'Swap box white elephant exchange' - get rid of something in your box - and jonesing (sp?) for something in here....nice try,eh?

Yeah, I caught that chocolate thing. I like the shell stuff - you know, it dries hard? hee hee

• lori316
    17 years ago

Wow, what a package. i love the footed frog plate. Too cute!

Grandjan, you really did it big. Nice job!

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

Can't count either can you Granjan?! Super swap box you put together for Janet. I can't find one thing in there that I wouldn't like!! Like Gina said....the end of the mini swap! LOL!

David

• lowspark
    17 years ago

Wowee wow!!! Incredible package!

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

Wow! I love those themes! I agree with you Maggie...why don't guests know when you need "alone time" with your swap packages!!

I love that high heat spatula! I'd love that cookbook, too! Hey, those plates look like they'd go with Jessica's tea set! Very cute!! I must get one of those footed frog plates! The cake server is great. Ohmigosh! Those spreaders and that flamingo flip flop plate are terrific!! Everything in the Drink It Down category is great! It's ALL great! I'm with Renee! It all warrants immediate use! What a fabulous package!!!
    Enjoy!

Janet! Superb job! It's obvious this was as much fun for you!!

• granjan
    17 years ago

Oh it was! I love sending swaps. Everyone here is so into them. It's better than Xmas ans birthdays when so often no one gets excited except me and the toddlers!LOL

I hate giving gift certificates and items from a list that specify every detail. That's not gift giving! I opted out of the family name drawing after the year my brother told me just to send him the money and he'd order the wine glasses that were the only thing my niece-in-law (DNIL?) wanted. I'm sure they were at least $50 a stem so he didn't want to have her get only one from me. (I never pay attention to the limit if I find something great but don't give me an order!)