Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Netla - Cost of Shipping to Iceland

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 19:18

Netla,

I need to verify the cost of shipping to Iceland in case someone asks. It isn't unusual for a swap box to weigh on average between 15 and 25 pounds. Even for a mini swap. I checked on line with USPS and it looks like a 15 pound box would cost over $30.00 US. And a 15 pound box from Canada would cost over $80.00 and both would take up to 6 weeks to arrive. That is the most reasonable. The next best rate which would get it there in about 10 to 14 days is $70.00US or $150.00 Canadian. I also checked with UPS here and even a 10 pound box would cost $175.00.

Do you know if there is a less expensive method?

Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Netla - Cost of Shipping to Iceland

No, as far as I know there is no cheaper way of sending it. But I thought this was supposed to be a mini swap?
15 pounds sounds like a lot for 5 items or less.

I know I certainly will not be sending anything big or heavy to my swap partner. I couldn't afford the postage.

o

Netla, you haven't been around much in the last couple of years so you might not have noticed how the swaps have continued to grow and how they have evolved. Even though this is a mini swap, with a limit of 3 to 5 items the members have figured out a way around sending just 5 items. Most decide on a theme and then put items into 3 to 5 groupings. I know of one box that really did only contain 4 or 5 items but the box actually weighed close to 50 pounds.

I've put together an album of photos of gifts received in the last swap. It was also a mini swap but you can see that we use the word "mini" loosely. LOL!

Mini Swap January 2006

o

Wow. Glad you posted this or I might have "under done" it.

o

Netla,
I also did a bit of shipping shopping and my results were just as disappointing as Ann's.

Not knowing your particular location, I used Hella, Iceland and a package weighing 20 lbs (the average for the prior swaps I've been involved in) and moderate dimensions to get a guesstimate.

Unfortunately, from the Boston, MA USA area it was $174.00 for UPS and over $50.00 USPS (with a delivery of at least 6 weeks). I would have loved to adopt you as my partner, but it's just not financially doable for me at this time. If noone is able to partner with you, keep in touch ~ maybe I'll hit Megabucks (the lottery) and then it's a definite!

o

Well, since I so blithely assured Netla that it wouldn't be a problem, I'll step up here. It cost me $37.00 to ship baking chocolate to Colleen in Australia and took 3 months for it to get there. It cost nearly $30 to ship to Lisa in Germany and took only 3 days, so times are pretty "approximate", I guess.

As long as she doesn't mind the 6 week "slow boat" shipping and as long as she recognizes that I'm not sending a 10 pound smoked ham or cast iron, I'd ship to Iceland.

What the heck, I'd just have to shop harder for light weight items and ship promptly. That would make it a bigger challenge, certainly. (grin)

Annie

o

Good for you Annie. I too, will volunteer to shop lightly and send to Netla if I'm chosen.

Jayne

o

Seems the swaps have gotten a bit out of hand ;-)

Now I'm worried I'll disappoint my swap partner because I probably will not send anything weighing above 2 kilos (little more than 4 pounds). I'll just have to put that much more care and thinking into my choice of gifts.

o

I wouldn't worry. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Tracey

o

Netla, please send me an email with your full name, address and phone number.

Thanks

Ann

o

Netla -- I don't think anyone has ever been disappointed by too much or too little in their swap package. It's just fun to get a package assembled with you in mind. So don't worry about how much stuff you send -- especially sending that far. (If you got me, I'd be happy with just a puffin!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here