SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyco

WANTED: Condiments -like? Don't like? Want to try?

sunnyco
17 years ago

I am going to visit my mom in Madison WI in a couple of weeks. The last time I was there, we drove up to the Mustard Museum in Mt. Horeb. It was amazing. Unfortunately, due to my mother's dawdling, we had about 20 minutes until they closed, when we got there.

So I am going again. Earlier this time. I was kind of thinking of possible souveniers of my summer for my swap partner...

I have a fairly narrow range of condiments that I buy regularly. Yellow, dijon and hot mustard (that last one for my Dh), mayo, miracle whip, ketchup, various pickles, blackberry (with seeds!) and strawberry jam, honey, BBq sauce, and salad dressings. I also have some fish sauce around for thai-ish dishes, and some soy and tamari sauces. (that I can think of)

But, I like to experiment every now and then. I like a little horseradish, but I can't handle it too strong, as with most spicy stuff. There is some pretty wild stuff out there, and usually I don't try it, because I don't want to spend the money on something that I might not like, but now and then I treat myself to something different. I bought chocolate mustard (seriously) and mustard with some herbs in it last time I was at the museum.

So, how adventurous are you? What kind of condiments do you like...or hate?

Comments (38)

• sunnyco
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: the place

• annie1992
    17 years ago

I love mustard, all types of mustard. I make my own sometime, but I'm always sucked in by new flavors and my favorite salad dressing is honey mustard based. I don't eat a lot of catsup, I used to only use Heinz but now I make and can my own and don't like any others. I love horseradish, but don't care for wasabi. I like the balsamic vinegar I have now but before this one I had a fig balsamic. It was good, I liked it, but I couldn't find anything it really "went" well in. I don't much like soy, although I do like teriyaki, go figure. I like sweet tomato based BBQ sauces, not the hot and spicy ones.

I have fish sauce, mayo, Miracle Whip, about 5 kinds of mustard, catsup, homecanned sweet relish. I'm not overly fond of dill but I did get a lemon dill sauce from Carol (dishesdone) that was great on chicken wings when grilled.

I'm adventurous, though, I'll try nearly anything once. Sometimes twice. (grin)

Annie

• Related Discussions

Arrowhead vine that I don't want to vine?

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Good luck with your probably futile project.lol I grow these in my shadehouse in every conceivable situation..Soil, epiphyte, water, both ,low light high light even full sun lol. Eventually it turns into a monster without any of the characteristics of immature plants. The longest lasting has been in lava rock allowed to dry to the point of collapse. This one has maintained the red markings and aborts the vine attempts for almost a year now . Really beautiful when it collapses into a dried heap.lol They have escaped into both my shadehouse and yard. In spite of constant removal they suffocated several other plants.. The slightest piece will start again. Only thing they absolutely seem to require is a little moisture.lol If you learn the secret to this method please share. They are so gorgeous as immature ,bushy plants. good luck gary
    ...See More

Dear God . . . Why Don't You Want Me to Have a 'Prok' Persimmon??

Q

Comments (2)
    You're more forgiving and tolerant than I am. It did take me 3 tries to get a Bountiful Butternut to grow but they are the only place that has a self-pollinating "butternut" and one of those tries had more to do with the motorcycle running over it than Stark. One more try and I would've called it quits on them for nuts. I would either give up on them and try someone else or give up on that fruit. I've decided bare root grapes and strawberries were not for me from Stark or anyone else. I had given up on grapes for close to 15 years because of my trails with bare roots.
    ...See More

Vine for two rail fence that I don't want to paint

Q

Comments (2)
    tkhooper, If you don't paint the fence, you will be replacing it in a couple years. That will be alot more work, and alot more money. If you want a cottage style garden, I would paint it white. Buy the best outdoor paint you can afford. (then you won't have to paint it again anytime soon). If you still want the vine after painting it white, try a honeysuckle of some sort. They are also evergreen in the winter in zone 8. (most of them are) If you do plant a vine, make sure you can see out your driveway pulling out onto the road. Good Luck!
    ...See More

Anybody got a pool they don't want?

Q

Comments (3)
    You might also want to post your question to www.freecycle.org This is a free recycling email thread in the Kansas City area (and a lot of major cities) where people post what they have that they are wanting to give away.....FREE!! But you can also tell them what it is you are looking for. Good luck, Michele....in Olathe, KS
    ...See More
  • Marigene
    17 years ago

I like any kind of condiments, some more than others. I haven't found fish sauce around here, yet. I like trying new kinds of mustards, Dijons are still my favorite, though.

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

Oooooh. I love condiments! I love horseracish, horseradish sauce, horseradish cream, all mustards (well, probably not chocolate mustard)DH loves honey mustard dressing the best of all dressings. I am not big on catsups, but love tomato sauces and salsas. I love, love, love dill, but did not care for TJ's lemon dill sauce. It was sweet, and I did not expect that. I sometimes do sour cream, lemon, and dill for fish. I have never had fish sauce, and would probably like it for cooking. I love balsamic vinegar, and infused oils (especially lemon infusions) I have never had wasabi, but suspect I would like it. I love to own jams and jellies, (especially raspberry) and try to find unique and unusual ones.

• alison
    17 years ago

I love dijon mustard, and use it so much I suspect it's a food in it's own right!

Don't much care for other classic condiments. I'll use a little ketchup to thicken BBQ sauce at the last minute, but that means a bottle lasts for years. I only use mayo in cooking, and almost never then, and I actually grew up with Miracle Whip, so -- no mayo.

I do like sauces and salsas, tho' -- especially if I can use them for marinades, basting, reducing as a glaze, and in a variety of other things. (Even my condiments have to multi-task!)

I don't like horseradish or wasabi or anything really hot, but I'm open to most other tastes. (One of my favorites these days is "Pulp-a-dip", a tamarind sauce that comes in an accordion squeeze bottle!)

I like most kinds of pickels, including pickled fruit, altho' not super sour. (I'm such a moderate gal.)

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

I love them too. To me a meal is not complete unless I can slather something on it, sprinkle something on it, dip it in something, etc! DH thinks I'm nuts.

Annie just sent me 2 great mustards - a southwest mustard (whoo-eee was it hot!) and Honeycup honey mustard. And two of her homemades - habanero gold pepper jelly and her salsa.

I love suff like that. I can't get enough mustards, sauces of all kinds, horseradish, jellies and jams (I cook with them), salsas, vinegars and on and on.

I love regional things. People think we Californians can get anything. And we can get a lot of stuff, but we don't see any small regional specialties. So if your partner is a Californian - heads up!

• dlundin
    17 years ago

Agree with Gina. Love the regional stuff.

Driving home last night I was thinking about ketchup. Rarely use the stuff... like Alison, a bottle lasts for years until I'm too leery of it then throw it out. But Gelson's did have an interesting onion ketchup that I might like to get again (though still, don't have much use for it... I do like a patty melt dipped in ketchup... but then, I have a patty melt once every couple of years).

I'm more of a mustard type. I don't really care for sweet pickles but love anything with dill. I like horseradish and wasabi. Love homemade jams and jellies. Heck, even a good store-bought is fine!

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

I follow the mustard and horseradish (not together) crowd! I love, love, LOVE mustard! I probably have at least a dozen different mustards in the fridge. Always on the lookout for more! I'll get a "hankering" for a certain mustard flavor and I have to have that particular mustard! Favorite snack is French's mustard and Lay's Potato Chips!

And I agree with Gina, too! I love dipping sauces of all sorts!

DH loves all condiments!

• doucanoe
    17 years ago

I like some condiments; mustard (but not so much the neon yellow stuff), horseradish, barbecue sauce (but Tim doesn't like it...more for me), salsa, etc.

I would like to use more infused oils and vinegars, right now I pretty much only use red and white wine vinegars, and have only tried basil and garlic oil for bread dipping. I haven't been terribly adventurous in that area.

Not real crazy about sweet glazes and such, I don't care for sweet with meats, nor do I care for lemon or other fruits with meats. (Well, lemon on fish is okay...)

Linda

• goldgirl
    17 years ago

I never eat mustard, except honey-mustard type dressings, but even then I don't like an overwhelming mustard taste. I'm very traditional with mayo and catsup - Kraft mayo and Heinz catsup only for this girl.

Love horseradish sauces of all types!

I'm not into many vinegars, but I LOVE balsalmic vinegar! I swear it makes everything taste better. Oils are fun, especially for dipping :)

Love trying different BBQ sauces - I like 'em a little sweet, but not overwhelmingly so. I consider rubs a condiment, and I love trying different types of those as well. They make grilling so easy!

Several folks mentioned dill, which is also a favorite of mine. My favorite side with salmon is still a lemon dill sauce, but it doesn't seem to very popular anymore, at least in restaurants.

I don't care for any kind of fruity sauces with meats.

Can't stand pickles of any kind, ironic since pickle was apparently my first word!

• dlundin
    17 years ago

Momto4kids (am I allowed to say your name anymore?), I bought a great jar of horseradish mustard at a farmer's market on Martha's Vineyard a couple of years ago. It was soooo good. A really great combination... so don't ixnay that quite yet (unless, of course, you've tried it. Then pooh-pooh away!).

• kent4489
    17 years ago

I like mustard and lots of other condiments. I don't care for things with a smokey flavor. And I'm not crazy about sweets on meat. I don't really use BBQ sauce. I recently bought some great mustard and already bought a second...lemon, thyme, pepper. And what about the honeycup mustard? I've looked for it and can't find it. I like all kinds of oils and vinegars. I like dill.

Jayne

• compumom
    17 years ago

I love condiments, in fact sometimes it's hard to juggle the food in the fridge for all of the condiments! We must have more than 3 types of mustard, maybe more, I like Dijon and whole grain mustard best, Heinz ketchup, Best Foods Mayo, chutneys, mint jelly (for DH's lamb chops)miso based dressings (new favorite is Galeos Miso Caesar- great and low cal)marinades etc. We have 3 types of Balsamic, different types of oils and vinegars. I'm always open to new things. Not a big pickle eater though. I'd love to try some Honeycup Mustard--maybe when I come to Canny Camp!

• granjan
    17 years ago

We both like brown mustards here. And Dijon but not the honey mustards or French's. Only Heinz catsup but we don't use much of it or of BBQ sauces. Do love rubs and mayo although we have adjusted to the diet stuff for most things. Pickles must be sour, I'm a cornichon fiend.

I have a real thing for vinegarettes, especially redwine and mustard and ... And vinegars. I always have 3-4 red wine vinegars on hand, haven't found a favorite but don't like the supermarket stuff. And sherry vinegar and rice wine and balsamic although I don't usually use it in vinegarettes. Tend to make my own spice blends and mixes but sometimes find something that's really good in a jar. And like the local stuff.

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

We are in the mustardy? crowd here. We had family up for DD birthday last year and they were wondering how old our ketchup was. We never use it here and only use it when family comes to visit. We love mustards and horseradish. Even our 3 yr old likes things spicy and tangy. She who will walk around eating rhubarb:) Since we don't have any fancy shops around here anything works. We like the spicy savory kinds of mustards and relishes not the sweet kind. Also DH loves to bbq on the grill so always on the lookout for great bbq sauces.

Stacie

• momto4kids
    17 years ago

LOL dlundin!!! Alrighty...gotta find me some of that horseradish mustard...I suppose it was a local thing, huh?

• traceys
    17 years ago

I have lots of different mustards in the fridge. Like ketchup too but it has to be Heinz. My daughter likes to eat it with a spoon like my son did. We go thru lots of ketchup.

I like to try new things. Love salsas. Not crazy about some BBQ sauces. I hope to find one I really like one day.

I'm pretty much open to anything. See I am easy.

Tracey

• lori316
    17 years ago

Never used to, but now I love mustards, especially honey mustard...mmmm!

Sauces, rubs, mayo, marinades, salsas, BBQ sauces, horseradish, jams, jellies, etc., if you can spread it, marinade it, soak it, rub it on...it's all good. LOL

Not a big pickle fan, though.

We don't have a TJ's close by, so we don't get a big variety of things other than the store-bought basics here.

• compumom
    17 years ago

Forgot to add that spicy is fine (just not tooo hot) and love bbq sauces. David/Lakeguy sent me 2 different Head BBQ sauces from Oklahoma in a swap and I have nursed it like I did Annie's Habanero Jelly! (I must admit that in that case I preferred the plain bbq sauce to the spicy one.)

• arabellamiller
    17 years ago

I love mustards too, and jellies.

Hate mayo.

And, like so many others, only Heinz ketchup for me. After all, I was raised in Pittsburgh!

AM

• blueiris24
    17 years ago

I like most of them -- ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, horseradish, salsa --- the only thing I'm not overly fond of would be Miracle Whip.

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

I love mustards, horseradish sauces, salsas, I collect hot sauces and pepper jellies. I like hot ketchup instead of plain ketchup.

Like Tracey, the majority of the refrigerator and pantry are overrun with condiments.

• finally
    17 years ago

Yikes! I love condiments. When we moved to the garage for the remodel, I had to really go through the collection. I love mustards, DH is a horseradish fan, and I have different chutneys, spreads, BBQ sauces, etc. Love jams and salad dressings too. A scary amount of space in my fridge is dedicated to them.

Regional specialties are the best!

mustangs, have you tried pepper jelly as a basting sauce for BBQ chicken? That's one of my favorite uses for it!

~finally

• wizardnm
    17 years ago

You might call American Spoon Foods (where I work) a condiment store with products using mostly Michigan fruits and vegetables...doesn't mean I wouldn't still enjoy local products from other regions. Ilove all fruits with the exception of rhubarb and especially love the tropical fruits. I can do sweet hot but not really into sour or vinegar items.

Nancy

• mustangs81
    17 years ago

Finally, Yes I have tried pepper jelly as a basting sauce but thanks for reminding me as it's been a while! I have so many jars that aren't as good as I would like so I combine them and use them for basting.

• dlundin
    17 years ago

I know this ain't right... and why would I expect she would be my swap partner?... but I LUST for Annie's habanero gold... is that so wrong of me? I had an excellent zinfandel/chile from Martha's Vineyard as well as a great raspberry/chile jam from Santa Fe. I like it SPICY!

• lakeguy35
    17 years ago

Like Gina, I love to dip or spread something. As long as it doesn't contain raisins or any dried fruit I'm good to go. Spicy with heat is fine with me. Surprise me partner!!

David

• jessyf
    17 years ago

I'm good to go on condiments too. Not much into mustards, but if its something special like Honeycup, yup. I'm also not a spicy or sour person (but DH is, MAJOR). Vinegars are good. I love regional stuff, like the other SoCal folks because we always see the same old same old. You've probably picked up that I gravitate to Middle Eastern and oriental foods - cardamom, cinnamons, hickory smoke flavors, (the sweet spices).

• stacy3
    17 years ago

yeah, I'll try anything - I just don't like those tomato saucy salsas. I like fresh salsas. Other than that, all these wonderfully different things are right up my alley - I love buying really different things to try. oh yea, raisins and dried fruit don't thrill me either - thanks david.

Diana, I haven't had the pleasure, but it sounds like something I"d love too.

• Lars
    17 years ago

In general, I don't like condiments that are sweet, and that includes ketchup, although I use it on a rare occasion. I especially dislike sweet mustards (although I love all other mustards) and I also dislike sweet pickles and sweet BBQ sauce. Don't like Miracle Whip either.

What I do like: tangy mustards, Thai curry paste, wasabi, horseradish, chili sauce (without tomato), Mexican salsas (red and green), and most complex spice mixes that are not sweet. I generally omit cinnamon and nutmeg in spice mixes, or else greatly reduce the amount of those spices, which is one reason I make my own Thai curry paste - and omit the cinnamon altogether. I like all vinegars, even the sweet Balsamic ones, and so there is a bit of a contradiction there. Sweet is okay if it is balanced with sour, but I tend to prefer tart, bitter, and spicy. It takes me over a year to go through a 5 pound bag of sugar, and I tend to use that up mostly at Christmas time. I like fruits for desserts, and I use preserves on occasion, but not on a regular basis. I do make my own fig preserves and give most of it away. The only chocolate I eat is bittersweet, but then I can't eat milk chocolate anyway.

Lars

• ann_t
    17 years ago

Guess I'm the odd one out here. There are very few condiments that I like or use. The exception is homemade Horseradish and homemade salsas. I keep a few mustards on hand but only to cook with or add to sauces or salad dressings. I never put it on sandwiches or burgers.

Ann

• chancesmom
    17 years ago

well, I tend to like to buy lots of different condiment things, then get stuck thinking about what to do with them. Right now I have some pinot grigio and champagne vinegar on my counter, and besides a few salad dressing recipes I am at a complete loss what to do.

We love to try different sauces, bbq stuff, marinades, etc...and mustards, and vinegars and oils even tho sometimes I use them in routine kind of recipes. DH is a big fan of spicy, me, I go medium, but we are generally easy to please. I really liked the Texas Pete hotsauce ruddmd sent me last swap, tho i hesitated to use it. It was not too spicy and really tasty in chili!

janet

• dedtired
    17 years ago

Hmm. I am so boring. I like Heinz ketchup and Hellman's mayo. I like some mustards, but mostly honey dijon. I am a sweet person -- oh, I mean I like sweet things, I'm actually not very sweet ;0). Sometimes I thnk I should expand my choices and branch out a bit.

I have never tasted Miracle Whip, at least not that I know of.

I'd enjoy trying other people's favorites.

Pam

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

There's probably more condiments than food in my fridge! LOL!

I like vinegars, mustards, Oriental sauces, salsas, BBQ sauces, hot sauces, relishes (especially homemade), grill sauces, horseradish, etc.

The homemade jams and jellies I have received have been delicious! Usually if I buy jam it's just regular strawberry or raspberry. But the homemade stuff is something else all together different.

Don't care for really smokey stuff in any form. And a jar of Duke's mayo lasts a long time in my house.

Teresa

• paulines
    17 years ago

Is salsa a condiment? TrixieTx had sent her homemade one to us, which was fabulous! Love fruity salsas, the Penn. Dutch relishes & condiments & homemade jelly & jam - yummy!

I love spicy things too, but the rest of the family doesn't, so I don't buy them that often.

• Tikanas2
    17 years ago

I am the Condiment Queen, according to my kids. I love them! I am trying different mustards now. I love that stone ground grainy stuff! I also love regional stuff and home made anything. We love spicy and sour here. I wouldn't turn down habanero jelly either.... ; )

Tikanas

• lindainct
    17 years ago

I like most condiments and pickles. My favorite is Cherchies Champagne Mustard. This week I had a delicious and different clam chowder on Martha's Vineyard, it was topped with a drizzle of chive oil - something new to me.
    Diana, Sampled that Zinfandel jam at the farmers market this week but preferred the ginger pear marmalade-bought two jars well, actually three but we won't talk about the third one. Wish I had known you liked the horseradish mustard I would have picked you up a jar. I love harseradish but that is a little to potent for me.
    Linda

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

I've had no time for myself lately...sorry swap partner if this is to late..

We aren't super big condiment people. I mean I use them, but nothing special.

My husband is from NC, and would love a real good hot sauce, something that makes his eyes water. ;)

We can't get anything good around here for that.

He loves spicey, I prefer calm. ~wink~ We often meet somewhere in the middle. My children prefer undressed anything. No mayo, ketchup ...nothin....
    But I'll sneak in a flavor enhancement in and on meats alot.

Oh they do love teriyaki flavor.