SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Scandinavian package from Alison!

Lars
16 years ago

This was a hectic day for me, but I did manage to photograph the package I received from Alison! Here are the photos of the contents, which I took in my back yard on a chartreuse beach towel:

packages wrapped

{{gwi:1462552}}

Cobalt blue shot glasses

{{gwi:1462553}}

Aquavit cookbook, with Scandinavian recipes

{{gwi:1462554}}

Shopping bags, from Whole Foods, Atlantic Coast

{{gwi:1462555}}

Shot glasses in my cabinet

{{gwi:1462556}}

I've wanted this cookbook for a long time, and it is the second cookbook by Marcus Samuelsson that I have received, and so I know I like his recipes. I even saw him today on one of the morning news shows, making rack of lamb (which I will forgo), but it reminded me of how much I like his personality. I like all the recipes I've made from his African cookbook, and I noticed that he has a very similar style to my own. He's one of my favorite chefs and cookbook authors. The best thing, however, is that this is a book that Alison uses herself, and she recommended recipes that she especially likes. This is extremely helpful for a new cookbook, as it is difficult to tell where to start. I am definitely going to follow her recommendations, as they all sound wonderful. She chose this book because of suspected common Scandinavian heritage, and while my Scandinavian heritage is somewhat remote, it is still there. My German ancestors on my father's side colonized Prussia from Sweden, and so they were originally Swedish - before they were Prussian. I've also studied Old Icelandic, in order to be able to understand Scandinavian languages, and I love trips to Solvang to visit Danish restaurants and shops.

The shot glasses are perfect also - I guess Alison figured out that my favorite color was blue and somehow knew that I collect cobalt blue glass! Alison recommended that I make Lime Aquavit (from the cookbook) for use in the glasses, which is an excellent choice (since I am drowning in limes!), but unfortunately the recipe takes 6-8 weeks to make!!! I'll start on it this week-end and get back to you with the results in May.

The market bags will be very useful. I've been meaning to make some for myself and never got around to it, despite all the fabric I have in storage. I have to say that the bags do remind me of a William Sledd YouTube video, which is no longer on line, in which he critiques Whole Foods.

Thanks so much Alison! You really understand what I like!!

Lars

Comments (33)