SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sigh_gw

How cool is Netla?!

sigh
16 years ago

My husband brought in the mail & asked "is somebody on the cooking forum from Iceland?"

Why yes! That would mean my swap package is here!

I was delighted that Netla was my partner & dying to see what could be inside my mystery box. The box had come a long way and was in great shape, thanks to the Icelandic newspaper used as packing. I plan on sitting down & trying to puzzle some of it out over the weekend.

The first thing that Netla sent was a chocolate Easter egg. Unfortunately it didn't survive the trip intact but I was able to push it mostly back together for the photo. It's lovely, very reminiscent of the Italian Easter eggs we'd have when I was small. I plan on hiding it & saving it for Easter. I'll let my son have first crack (bad pun, sorry). It's filled with small chocolates and a "secret" message that Netla promised to translate for me.

She also sent two absolutely adorable bowls. They're melamine but look & feel like pottery. She also sent a tin of Dukka, which is an Egyptian spice made in Iceland & containing things like almonds, pistachios, coriander and anise. It sounds delicious and I can't wait to try it. Netla suggests adding it to olive oil & dipping bread into it & I'll be doing that as soon as I hit the bakery. The bowls can be used for holding the oil & dukka .

There's also a book of traditional Icelandic recipes. I'm delighted by this because many of the recipes sound so good, I'll just need some US equivalents of things like skyr.

I really enjoy things like this, a whole box of new & wonderful things, things that I've never encountered before. For me it's almost like taking a trip.

Thank you so much, Johanna. This box really made my day.

So here's my own piece of Iceland:

Aren't the bowls delightful? And the Dukka can be used for so many other things. My husband was ready to open it & dip a spoon in but I swatted him away. My swap box, I get first taste!

Nina

Comments (37)