SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
granjan_gw

I finally opened my box! Thank you Alison. Everything is

granjan
18 years ago

Had a good day yesterday. After a couple glasses of wine with dinner I was in the mood to enjoy my presents. Thank you all for your patience, and your kind words. And thanks for understanding Alison. I'm sure the waiting has been really difficut foryou; first for the box to arrive and then my delay in opening it. But I wanted to be able to be in a place where my thoughts weren't on my friends.

And I am SO PLEASED with everything. You did a great job.

We'll see if I can really post pictures. I've been working on this for over an hour on this!

Alison's box is finally opened!

The Box

Out of the package, Finally!

Gorgeous Lasagna Pan

Cake Plate

Or Trifle Bowl/Punch Bowl

Vanilla & Rose Geranium Sugar, They smell divine!

What a collection of Chocolates!

Oh my g*d it looks like it worked. The pan is so beautiful and I have nothing pretty in that type of pan and have been wanting something. And there's no way you could know that I have a mini collection of cake plates! And this is perfect because I broke my trifle bowl awhile back and have wanted another. This will work beautifully.

The sugars smell incredible. Alison says the rose geranium is wonderful for pound cakes and I want to make one to take to my friend. The French blue towels the small things were wrapped in are great for my kitchen. And the chocloates are really unusual. The Hacher Strawberry & Pepper is irresistable, both last night and for breakfast! The strawberry bits are very flavorful and the pepper is just a nice warm feeling in your mouth afterwards.

Thank you so much. Please don't tell me that you really sent another box? There's a note from the PO for a delivery attempt Sat.

Comments (44)

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Oh, oh, oh, What an amazing swap box and well worth waiting for. That is the most beautiful lasagna pan I think I have ever seen. And I love the duel purpose cake/triffle dish.

Alison when you told me that you were sending a "32 pound" box, I wondered how that could possibly be a "mini swap" but you sure pulled it off.

Enjoy all that chocolate too Janet.

Ann

• stacy3
    18 years ago

WOW!!! Janet I'm glad that you are feeling a little better - that package had to help. :-)

Alison, I love that pan, too - and the cake plate that flips - what wonderful choices you made. I can see why you would be upset if that one came up missing!

Great package!
    Stacy

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Sorry Allison, I just can't open my box.

Q

Comments (14)
    Janet, My thoughts are with you too...and your friends. I just found out yesterday that our best friends' (the husband's) Mother has stomach cancer. Too much of this is happening lately. I know your friends really appreciate all you're doing. We'll look forwrd to hearing about your package when you're up to opening it. Jayne
    ...See More

WANTED: Stacy's box -- love everything! Thanks!

Q

Comments (26)
    What lovely gifts! I know first hand about Stacy's great choices, since I've been enjoying things from her for months now. Catherine, I can just imagine how wonderful food will look in those beautiful serving pieces. I love the ginko pieces too and I'll bet there are lots of great recipes in the small plates book. Please be sure to share what you try from it. Lee
    ...See More

Alison - I am overwhelmed! Thank you!

Q

Comments (20)
    Alison, I like the six kinds of frosting theory on those bundt pans, to heck with portion control! Those are very cute, I love them. The mixing bowls are also a good idea, most just aren't "right", those look like they are nice, deep and usable. Penzey's? Well, they speak for themselves. I love the Vietnamese cinnamon, their 4 pepeprcorn blend, the boss is hooked on their Vindaloo seasoning. I think it's a perfect choice. Annie
    ...See More

WANTED: My box is here! Thank you Pam!

Q

Comments (17)
    Those spoons will remind you of Pam everytime you use them. Awwwwww. Love the apron, hope its a recruiting agent for the CF, we need more MLC virgins! And I LOVE the casserole, perfect and clever! (note to Pam...hey nothing stopping you from sending something special later as a surcie....ask me how I know...heh heh...) I spent ten minutes going through ads for stores I'll never visit looking for bargains? :) Be careful.... you know how CFers manage to get around..
    ...See More
  • Gina_W
    18 years ago

Wow - gorgeous lasagna pan. It looks vintage.

• dlundin
    18 years ago

It's beautiful, all of it. Alison, you did an incredible job. Hope it lifts your spirits, Janet.

• granjan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, it has lifted my spirits, and so did all the kind words from all of you... However my friends are not doing well. They had a bad night. And I'm afraid more will follow.

• alison
    18 years ago

I'm glad it arrived (grumble, grumble USPS...) and very happy you like the items. I can uncross my fingers and toes now!

Have some dark chocolate and make a pound cake. Cherish the time you have with your friends, even if it's rough. And be good to yourself, too -- you deserve it!

(And yes, there is another one coming, but it's only 3 pounds!)

• kent4489
    18 years ago

Janet, wow, really worth waiting for. Keeping you and your friends in my thoughts.

Alison, Nice, nice, nice!

Jayne

• shaun
    18 years ago

Aw! Wonderful box full of goodies! Alison you did great!
    Janet, you must be thrilled! I'm keeping your friends in my thoughts too.

• compumom
    18 years ago

That's a great package! I have the same cake plate/trifle bowl and really like it! It's also easier to store when you invert it.

I know you're going to enjoy nibbling your way through the chocolate and I'm really curious to know what geranium sugar is and how to make it!

• robinkateb
    18 years ago

Alison that is a really well done swap box. It shows all of us that a mini swap that almost follows the rules (very ingenious to count the towels as packing material) can be a home run. I love the lasagna pan as well. I think the handles on it are a nice touch so it is easy to bring to the table.

I would also love to hear more about rose geranium sugar. How to make it, what it is good with etc. My tastebuds are dancing trying to picture it.

-Robin

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Now that is one great box, I just love the lasagna pan, it's beautiful.

Strawberry and pepper chocolate sounds very unique and the cake plate can certainly be a multi-function item.

Janet, I haven't been here much and had missed the post about your friends. Hugs to you and prayers for them in such difficult times.

Annie

• chase_gw
    18 years ago

Lucky Janet! What a fabulous swap Alison! Beautiful things that Janet can keep forever and will always remind her of the generosity of her CF cyber pals. Nicely done.

• homesforsale
    18 years ago

I agree the most beautiful lasagna pan..They are like our province's flag:) Very very pretty..

• alison
    18 years ago

The rose geranium sugar is simply sugar that has been stored with rose geranium leaves in it -- it sort of "steeps" into the sugar. It has a very nice rose scent and a very subtle rose-citrus taste. (My rose geranium bush is about 3 years old. It gets planted in the garden during the summer, and winters in the big plate glass window at work. It gets huge in the summer and I need to cut it back, so I have LOTS of leaves!)

One of my favorite ways to use it is in pound cake, but have also found this recipe from the Wildflower in Cape Cod.

Rose Geranium Muffins

Recipe By: Donna Stone, Wildflower Inn
    Servings: 7
    Preparation Time: 20 Minutes

1 1/2 C of flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 C Rose Geranium Scented Sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 C of Butter
    1 Egg
    1/2 C of Milk
    1/4 tsp Rose water
    1/4 tsp Vanilla
    1/4 C Rose Geranium Petals, washed

Sift together flour and Baking Powder. Mix Sugar and Salt with rose Petals..cut in Butter. Add egg and Milk and Vanilla. Mix well until blended.

Spray glazed flower pots. Batter will be stiff.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes

Yield 4

• lowspark
    18 years ago

Wow -- what a great ending to the story of this swap! That IS a really pretty pan! So nice to set on the table! And I really like the reversible cake plate/punch bowl -- that is way cool!

And all that chocolate! Oooooohhooooooohhhhh.... I'm swooning!

Janet - enjoy all of this wonderful gift -- Alison, no doubt about it, ya done good!

• lsr2002
    18 years ago

The lasagna dish is wonderful and the sugars look intriguing. You were pretty clever to work those towels in Alison. The only thing better than some chocolate is more chocolate. Great choices here.

I know you'll smile and think of Allison when you use these things, Janet.

• sheshebop
    18 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous lasagna pan. If you don't like it Janet...hee hee
    Nice job Alison.

• ziporion
    18 years ago

Love that lasagna pan!

I'd love to get my hands on that chocolate! Can you really taste the pepper in the strawberry/pepper bar, and if you can, does it add to the flavour or make you wonder what it's doing in there?

Catherine

• craftyrn
    18 years ago

That Lasagna pan is gorgeous--

So you made the sugars Alison? Aren't you clever.

Enjoy Janet-- you'll enjoy those for years.

Diane

• Tikanas2
    18 years ago

Janet, I am glad that your spirits are up.
    That is one beautiful lasagna dish! Everything looks wonderful. Enjoy, Janet!
    Nicely done Alison!

Tikanas

• RuddMD
    18 years ago

The lasagna dish is beautiful! I also love the flavored sugars.

Janet, this was worth the wait!

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

Alison, what a nice box of goodies that I'm sure Janet will enjoy. I love it all and am intrigued by the sugars.

Janet, it's very understandable that you are in the middle of some very trying times, hang in there...chocolate always helps.

Nancy

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Just beautiful. I totally didn't get that the cake plate/trifle bowl were the same at first. Lovely, lovely - enjoy.

• lakeguy35
    18 years ago

WOW! That was worth the wait for sure Janet. I know it had to add some cheer to your day with all that you have been through the last few days. I agree, the flavored sugars sound great and the lasagne pan is beautiful. Great swap box Alison!!

David

• KatieC
    18 years ago

What they said...that's one gorgeous lasagna pan. And I have a penchant for clear glass dishes of all sorts...great trifle bowl. Nice choices Alison, and Janet, I'm glad your doing better.

• debbie814
    18 years ago

Now that is a swap box that was worth the wait. I wish that Alison didn't have so much stress wondering if the package was ever going to arrive! I have never seen such a lovely lasagna pan. I also love the dual purpose cake dish. Great assortment of chocolate too! Enjoy Janet.

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

Good things come to those who wait!
    The lasagne pan is beautiful and I really like that dual purpose cake plate.trifle bowl! Very cool!
    And chocolate....well, I needn't say any more.

Linda

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Janet what was in the second swap box that Alison sent you?

Ann

• granjan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have pix of the mini mini box. But will have to post later. Too much Alison!

• Terri_PacNW
    18 years ago

Wow..that's good stuff..
    and I have that cake plate/bowl set up too..and I LOVE IT!

I'd have to fill that Lasagna pan with fruit and leave it out..it's just to lovely to tuck away and only use on occasion!

• deanna1949
    18 years ago

I agree with Terri_pacnw--keep that lasagne pan out on display! It's too lovely to hide under pasta and sauce.

Marvelous swap package and well worth the wait for us. The only thing better would be if we could have a taste of the chocolate.

Nice work, Allison.

• chancesmom
    18 years ago

Wow, I too think that lasagna pan is gorgeous and should be used often! Glad you are feeling better granjan, Great job Allison!

janet

• harper
    18 years ago

What a lovely dish! Love those fleur de lis!

Ann, I heard your swap partner didn't come through. Is that true?

Harper

• jessyf
    18 years ago

Alton Brown would be proud of that trifle bowl/cake plate. Must find one, but that means I'd have to give up two of my own items. Nice assembly!

• Terri_PacNW
    18 years ago

Jessy, Mine came from Walmart. I think it's Anchor Hocking and was very affordable! I bought mine around the holidays a few years ago, so if you can't find one now, just wait til they put out the serving dishes in October.

• chase_gw
    18 years ago

Janet so tell us what was second parcel, goodness knows the first one was amazing!

• compumom
    18 years ago

Jessy, I think Kim found mine at Linens and Things, if that's helpful.

C'mon Janet...Enquiring minds need to know what's in the second box---tap---tap---tap

• shaun
    18 years ago

:::looking under the bed:::

Where'd she go?

• ann_t
    18 years ago

I heard from Janet this morning. Unfortunately her friend died yesterday and as you can imagine she is sad and overwhelmed in dealing with this. She said that she will be back posting in a few days.

Janet, know that our thoughts are with you.

Ann

• compumom
    18 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. Janet, take care, enquiring minds can wait.My thoughts are with you too.

• shaun
    18 years ago

OH Gosh~ I had a strange feeling and was trying not to listen to it. I'm so sorry Janet.

• Terri_PacNW
    18 years ago

My condolences as well.

• kent4489
    18 years ago

Janet...so very sorry.

• riverrat1
    18 years ago

Janet, I'm so very sorry about your friend.