Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A superb package from Idado is here!

Posted by debbie814 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 3, 06 at 6:55

Yes, it's from Katie C and I'm thrilled with the items she chose for me. Wait until you see the Black Zip pottery that she sent. And of course she sent some of her homemade items - Plum Sauce and Island Topping. Just enough to whet your appetite until I can post details and pictures later. There's much more, so keep tuned. I need to head to work now. Sorry :-)

Thanks so much Katie!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A superb package from Idado is here!

Debbie, you big tease!

Linda

o

Come on, Debbie, open that box!!

Annie

o

Dangit Debbie! LOL!

o

Katie stuck with the swap guidelines, and here are the four categories.

1) Pottery - Love it!! Katie sent me some beautiful pottery that was made by a local potter. Interestingly enough, she has acquired some of this local pottery by doing a trade when she had her milk cow. The pattern she sent is Black Zip, and it goes wonderful with my black collection. The berry bowl has small holes in it for drainage. As Katie said, "no more soggy grapes". Katie I love this pottery!

2) Huckleberries The preserves she sent me were made and sold by a friend of hers that has a huckleberry shop. I must admit that when I think of Idaho, I think potatoes! However, huckleberries are the local cash crop in Katies area and the potatoes are grown 400 miles south. I learned from Katie that huckleberries are like gold, going for $30 a gallon last year. Katie also sent me some huckleberry BBQ sauce that is locally produced. Cant wait to try both of these.

3) Homemade - Katies Plum Sauce and Island Topping. She suggests that the plum sauce be used as a dip for chicken, wontons, and for brushing pork tenderloins before baking. The Island Topping will be served on Hagen Daaz pineapple coconut ice cream for our dinner on Saturday. Katie, these are both wonderful choices that we will enjoy.

4) Cookbook - "Best of the Best of Idaho Cookbook" is a fundraiser for her library. Im looking forward to trying some of the great recipes, especially recipes from the woods of North Idaho which is from Katies group.

And I dug deep into the box and pulled out some Idaho Spuds. They are chocolate candy covered with coconut, and filled with something spongy. The package says it is "the candy bar that makes Idaho famous". We ate one immediately of course. LOL

Here's the wonderful taste of Idaho collection. Katie, my family and I will enjoy it very much and think of you.

Thanks,
Debbie

o

Wow! Another regional swap package! I love it! The pottery is very nice! The plum sauce and island topping each sound delicious! Let us know how you use them! The cookbook is great. I love cookbooks! Huckleberry BBQ sauce? Huh? Dying to hear how that tastes! I'm sure it's great! Nice swap box!!

o

Beautiful pottery! I got some huckleberry items from Jamie_Mt a long time ago - it was tasty stuff. Enjoy!

o

Way to go Idaho! Neat theme!

o

That pottery is gorgeous! And huckleberries...bringing back memories of homemade huckleberry cobbler when I lived in WA state...mmmm!

Barb

o

I love that pottery, the colors are beautiful. I always like having something in my swap package that I will use a lot and think of the person every time. I imagine Debbie will think of Katie often when admiring her pottery. The huckleberries sound really good. And who can go wrong with goodies made by Katie!! Well done Katie. Enjoy Debbie.

-Robin

o

Debbie...ooh...love that pottery. Great package.

Katie, nice job!

o

Oh, yes, I like that pottery a lot. I've never had huckleberries but I do make Katie's plum sauce. Ashley loves it with chicken nuggets, I eat it with egg rolls.

Cookbooks are always perfect, too. Good job, Katie, that's a great swap package.

Annie

o

I don't know why everything I send in swaps seems to be breakable, lol. I'm so glad those pots made it. I can't believe how well they go with your wallpaper!

I thought it was a very cool coincidence that Gardengrl sent me The Best of the Best of Florida.

Annie, I have some of last year's huckleberry crop (dried) set aside to bring to Camp. Mmmuffins...

o

That looks like a great package! Lots to enjoy now and others to slowly savor. The pottery will be a lasting momento. Great job Katie, I know Debbie and her family are going to love your package!

o

That pottery is awesome! Huckleberry stuff is very tastey too.

o

Katie, I'm also glad the pottery arrived in one piece. I sent local pottery the last swap, and one piece did end up getting broken. The pottery does go well with our wallpaper! Thanks again for a great swap package!

o

Oh I love that pottery! I also love that plum sauce. Katie you done good.

Enjoy it Debbie!!

Tracey

o

Katie what an amazing choice of colour for the pottery! I can't believe how well it goes. All of the package is great.

Lucky Debbie!!

o

Very cool swap box!!!

I love the local spin....very tasty treats to try!!!

Cheers!
Susie

o

The pottery is gorgeous, but th e plum sauce, that sounds right up my alley! Nice swap package. Good job Katie. Looks like you got a nice haul, Debbie.

o

OH the pottery is cool. Island topping, sounds good!

o

Debbie, It's a lovely package for a lovely lady!

Katie, Your choices are perfect!

o

That pottery is just beautiful. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a hucklberry until I got my first swap package from Katie. I almost inhaled the chocolate huckleberry bar she sent me and her plum sauce is so good (that I made to make some this year, but I don't think it is as good as hers.)

Katie, knowing I liked red sent me a little red antique syrup pitcher and crocheted dollie, which has a place on my kitchen table.

Now I can put Robin's Vermont grade B syrup in it, how cool is that.

Debbie, I can almost taste those Idaho Spud candies, what is not to like about chocolate and coconut.

Enjoy your wonderful package!

o

Katie, very nice ! I love the pottery too. I sent pottery to my swap pard and crossed my fingers that it would arrive in one piece...it did.

Debbie, I know you'll enjoy. I also made Katie's plum sauce this year, good stuff.

Nancy

o

Wow, that pottery is beautiful!! Lucky you to have some of Katie's homemade items, she is quite the canner and has shared some great recipes here. What's that spud candy bar like? Wonderful swap box!

David

o

OOOOH, Love the black pottery. And how special to get some of Katie's homemade goodies. Well done Katie.

Ann

o

That pottery is beautiful. I think it's great when you receive gifts from the locale of the sender -- enjoy!

o

What beautiful pottery! I'd never heard of a berry bowl before, sounds like a great idea. And how nice to have something you'll have for years to come, to remind you of the swap.

I didn't realize huckleberries were so big in Idaho. I've had them in Washington State and have been on the look-0out for plants here in Ohio with no success. With the amount of work involved in harvesting and preparing them, I can well imagine they are priceless products!

Earlier this year my niece prepared an elaborate report on Idaho which I think may have gained her honorary citizenship. As the piece de resistance for her classroom presentation, she had one of those Idaho Spuds for every kid -- and saved one for her auntie. Scrumptious! If that's not the spud that made Idaho famous, it's just a matter of time!

Nice job, Katie, and congrats to Debbie.

o

beautiful pottery! Nice regional and homemade package, lucky you!

janet

o

Love the black pottery. I don't think I've ever seen black before. How pretty. I bet it looks great with your kitchen.

Island topping sounds intriguing. What are the ingredients?

A very nice package from Idaho - well done Katie.

o

I used Katie's delicious Island topping on Coconut Pineapple ice cream, and it is to die for. I believe the topping consisted of macadamia nuts, pineapple, coconut and....maybe Katie will give us the rest. It's wonderful!

o

VERY pretty pottery, and homemade treats from Katie - great combination.

o

I love the regional themes too! The pottery is neat - I like the black! Great homemade items too! Great package!

o

Glad you liked the topping Debbie...the Kid took my last jar when she left this weekend :(

You're right on with the ingredients, plus some lemon juice, pineapple juice and sugar...I tweaked a recipe from Blue Ribbon Preserves. Their recipe came out really thin so I thickened it with a little Clear Jel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here