SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiec_id

WANTED: Kewl Beans!

KatieC
11 years ago

I took a much-needed long weekend, so on Friday when we hiked to the mailbox and found a package notice we decided it could wait until Monday. Neither of us could remember ordering anything, so it must not be important. I get so caught up in planning swap boxes and rethinking when I can't find what I want, I totally forget I'm getting a box, too!

So, today DH had to go to town so he picked up our package. He showed up at work..."Ummm...you need to come out and look at this. It's your swap box."

"is it rattling?"

"Yesssss..."

I told him to take it home and I'd deal with it later. It is, after all, a real Monday...sighhhh...

So I get home and first thought is, "Uh-oh."

Mystery solved:

...and I don't have to go yell at the Post Office tomorrow:

Ohyeah, it was a Michigan/Tennesee swap box. From Annie! The perfect winter theme for someone who likes to cook on an old wood cookstove.

The Lodge was made in Elery's home state. I was just sniveling that I needed a small version of my 6 qt. And the blue is just right. Annie, I will use the heck out of this.

The beans: Grown 20 mi. from Annie. I have never heard of Mayacoba beans. I nearly bought some Yellow-Eye seeds to try this year, but the season was too long (still marveling that we are both in Z5). There's a ham hock in my freezer calling my name...

The book: One I do not have, and will read next weekend while my beans are cooking.

And...one of Ann's cards. Garlic, because of my "garlic propensities". lol.

Thank you Annie...you did good!

Comments (17)

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Yup, you done good Annie. I like the size of the pot, it is kewl.

Bean Appetit...I like that too.

• coconut_nj
    11 years ago

Oh man Katie, what a great box!! Love everything. That's so funny that the beans tried to make an escape. Hah, they'll be in that pot with some ham hock and....garlic..heh.. before they know what hit them! Very pretty pot. And of course I love that you got a garlic card too. Ya did really great Annie. Excellent swap!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Aw he!!. I was afraid when it took that box so long that it might not get there at all. This swap was kind of ill-fated anyway.

As soon as I signed up, I broke my elbow, I'm still in a sling. Of course, I can't drive my manual transmission Jeep, so I defaulted to Amazon. Then I lost Katie's address! Yup, I did. I remembered the address, but got her last name wrong, LOL. It got there anyway, and so much for my memory.

I was hoping the smaller size dutch oven would be a good one for you and the hubs, and I know you like to cook on your woodstove in the winter, so I hoped you didn't have one!

Annie

• centralcacyclist
    11 years ago

What a perfect swap box! I love the blue Lodge cast iron, such a pretty color. The beans sound interesting. I haven't explored beans much beyond pintos and black beans. A new cookbook is always a fun read. And a little bit of Ann T. arrived in another box. :)

Well done, Annie.

And what the heck did the post office do to that box! Oh my! I'm so glad everything arrived undamaged.

Eileen

• ann_t
    11 years ago

I agree. It is the perfect swap box. The beans, the cookbook and that amazing Blue Lodge Cast Iron pot is the perfect size. It would get a lot of use here. And I love the colour too.

Well done Annie.

~Ann

• riverrat1
    11 years ago

Rattling swap box! I'm sure glad that it wasn't breakage.

Katie, I know you are going to enjoy it all! The blue color of the Lodge is beautiful!

Nice box! Annie you did really good! ;-)

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

What a fantastic blue! i had to look up Mayacoba beans. I hope you post a pic of the dish you make.

• jessyf
    11 years ago

Looks like Ann's cards are making their way into lots of swap boxes!

I love love love Lodge enameled, my blue 5 qt has pride of place on my stovetop. They are making them in Tennessee now? Mine was made in China :-(

I think I made Mayocoba beans once, they cooked up nice and creamy?

Yummy box! Enjoy!

• compumom
    11 years ago

That is one beautiful pot ! I'm going to have to check and see what other colors lodge has for me. I'm not familiar with that kind of bean either,but Annie with a broken elbow, I think you did terrific shopping! Katie I hope that you enjoy them all!

• Lars
    11 years ago

Are you going to plant some of the beans? I've heard of them but have not tasted them, but so far I love all beans that I've had.

I agree that the blue color is fantastic, and that pot will be appreciated for a long time and bring you happy thoughts when you use it. It's perfect to include that cookbook - I have not seen that one before, but the cover photo is very inspiring.

Be sure to report back on the beans!!

Lars

• dedtired
    11 years ago

If I'd known Annie was giving away Lodge dutch ovens, I would have signed up for the swap. Niiiicccee.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Ha ha, coconut, the beans tried to escape the pot! Seriously, what a great swap box! I love that color blue and I think a CI pot that size would be very handy. And the beans, what a good idea! Dang, I wish I'd thought of that to include in the package I sent that I hope is getting closer to its destination every day!

Good job Annie, and enjoy, Katie!

And Annie, I missed the news about your elbow, I hope it is on the mend.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Actually, Jessica, the Lodge traditional cast iron is still made in Tennessee, as is their new seasoned steel line. Unfortunately, the enameled stuff and the stainless steel line is made in China. (sigh) I could not find an American made enameled cast iron pan so I waffled between the original cast iron and the enameled stuff and eventually caved in. At least it's an American company and it's in Tennessee, so it's as close as I could get.

Mabel, thanks, my arm is doing quite well in spite of the gloom and doom doc who keeps saying that "elbows are notorious for healing problems" and "a woman your age". Punk, what does he know? (grin) Two more weeks and I lose the splint and the sling....

Annie

• goldgirl
    11 years ago

Annie - if this is what you put together with a broken elbow, I'm amazed. I love the blue Lodge - Katiec, you'll get so much use out of that. And I'll be checking out those beans.

Sue

• agmss15
    11 years ago

I have a stash of my grandmothers enamel CI - much loved and used. The blue is a lovely color and size. I will have to look out for that variety of beans. I have started making more beans from scratch because the varieties in cans are so limited in Maine. I am still getting used to grocery stores that don't cater to a wide variety of ethnicities. Home-made beans are better anyway.

• KatieC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad it's healing well Annie. I bet you are ready to lose the splint.

Lars, I swore I wasn't going to overdo the experiments this year, but yes, I will probably throw a few seeds in the ground. The Mayacobas might be too tropical, but the Yellow-Eyes are supposed to be originally from Maine. I have altitude and cold nights going against me, but you never know...it might be a long, hot summer (yeahright). I do have good luck with Tongue of Fire beans.

Ham hock thawing and Yellow-Eyes soaking.

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I guess I'm lucky I only have to wear it at night and when I'm doing something outside, driving, things that might cause me to bump or injure it further.

Katie, I'm in zone 5a and the Mayacobas grow here, those were grown about 30 miles from my house, so you might, maybe, be able to grow them. They are actually one of my favorite beans, they cook up with a lovely creamy texture.

Enjoy the beans, no matter whether you can grow them or not. You know you have a source. (grin) I stopped at Horrock's today and they have green and yellow peas, cranberry beans, a 15 bean medley, the yellow eye, the Maycoba, cannellini, Great Northern, kidney, navy, more kinds of beans than I can even remember, and all from the same farm in Howard City, Michigan. Michigan grows a LOT of beans which are then marketed dried, I never thought we'd have that kind of climate but I guess we do.

Annie

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor