Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Thank you Doucanoe (aka: Linda)!

Posted by gardengrl (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 18:26

I got my swap package yesterday and it was from Doucanoe (Linda) in Minnesota!!! Everything in it arrived in perfect condition, and she sent all Minnesota themed goodies. Here's what she sent me:

A set of stationary cards painted by local artists from Minnesota. Very pretty! I can't wait to use them!

A small craftsman, decorative basket (handmade). Very nice!

A 1 lb bag of Minnesota Wild Rice, which I can't WAIT to try in a pot of soup or made into some pilaf.

A bottle of elderberry syrup! Break out the pancakes! I've never had elderberry ANYTHING, so this will be new for me.

A jar of pepper jelly, which will promptly be put to use either as a dip or on a bagel. :-)

A container of corbread mix with a cast iron cornbread biscuit maker!!! It's one of those cast iron pans that makes biscuits look like little ears of corn. Too cute, thank you!

And finally, a packet of Annie's Garden Dip Mix...not our Annie, but another Annie. I thought that was a cute coincidence.

Thank you so much Linda! It was really nice to meet someone on the CF, and I was blessed to have Linda as my "swap buddy." This has been so much fun and I can't wait to try out some of these goodies. I will post pictures either later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Thank you Doucanoe (aka: Linda)!

What a neat assortment of Minnesota-themed items. Just the thing to snuggle in with for the remainder of the winter. I'm anxious to hear how the cast iron cornbread pan works out. That will taste great with your jelly or syrup and a nice, hot bowl of soup!! Definitely a delightful package!

o

Linda sounds like she got Minnesota right! We Fargoneans feel a tight kinship! Have fun with the package. Adele

o

Minnesota Wild Rice sounds like a keeper. The whole package sounds awesome. Can't wait to see pictures.

o

I agree Sherry the wild rice sound wonderful. You should try Annie's Cheddar Thumbprints with the jelly as well. They sound so yummy. Nice assortment.

-Robin

o

Oh a little cornbread pan! I've always wanted one! Enjoy!

o

What a nice assortment of things from Minnesota! Let us know what elderberry syrup tastes like.

o

I'm curious about the elderberry syrup too. Yes, please let us know all about it. I was just reading that elderberries are good for coughs, and since 3/5 of my house now has pneumonia, I think that might be a good way to sneak something healthy into our diets.

And the wild rice...what a great package!

o

Ohhhhhhh everything to make a Minnesota snack--including the pan !

o

Gardengrl, awesome gifts!

Linda, nice job!

o

Wonderful Linda. It is always nice when you can shape a theme around a region. Kathleen the Minnesota wild rice makes a nice stuffing for Cornish Hens too.

Ann

o
Here is a Pic!

I've posted a picture on my Yahoo album. Take a look! Thank you again Linda!

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap Goodies

o

How thoughtful! The little cornbread pan is just so cute!What a nice presentation it will make..

o

I love parcels with regional themes! They really are so personal. Great job Linda. Lucky you Kathleen!

o

I love the cornbread pan! Great package.

AM

o

Love the Minnesota theme!! Great job! Enjoy!

o

Kathy, glad it all arrived safely and that you like what I chose for you. I am not good with themes, so I fall back on "regional" quite often! LOL

I meant to include this recipe for the wild rice, but forgot.

Linda's Minnesota Wild Rice Soup

2T butter
1/4c chopped onion
1/2c flour
4c chicken broth
1-1/2c cooked wild rice
1/2 tsp salt
1c diced chicken or ham
1/2c grated carrot
1c half and half
1T dry white wine
1/2c slivered almonds

Melt butter in saucepan, saute onion til tender. Whisk in flour then
gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Add rice,
salt, chicken, and carrots. Blend in cream and wine, heat to serving
temperature. Garnish with slivered almonds.

Linda

o

What a great package. I especially like the basket, it's so unique.

I picked elderberries and made jelly last year. After you do it once, you'll get a whole new respect for someone who picks over all those little bitty berries! I think it tastes reminiscent of blackberry, very yummy.

Annie

o

Annie, I have loads of elderberries growing on my property and just the THOUGHT of picking and messing with those tiny little berries makes me just leave them for the birds! LOL

Linda

o

What a wonderful package! The syrup sounds wonderful (and medicinal!) My mother used to have a little corn muffin pan like that. Make sure it's well seasoned and the "cornsticks" are effortless!

All that and wild rice, too? Great package!

o

Great package from Linda.

Let us know how the elderberry syrup tastes!

o

That looks so nice, the pan is something I would want but would never buy for myself. We just got back from a quick visit to Minnesota and that looks very Minnesotian (is that a word?)

janet

o

Ooh Linda, that soup recipe looks fabulous! It's got two of my favorite things in it: wine and cream. Yum!

Does wild rice cook differently than regular, long grain? Or is it like brown rice and needs more cooking time?

o

A taste of Minnesota, that's a great theme.

I'm going try that recipe. Now to find wild rice.

Tracey

o

Love wild rice! Sounds like you got a nice big slice of Minnesota. Enjoy it!

o

Kathy, Wild Rice needs a longer cooking time. You'll know it's done when it kind of breaks open and "curls". Hard to explain, but you'll know it when you see it! LOl
It stays a bit crunchy (sort of) and doesn't get sticky like white rice. Has a nice nutty flavor.

Tracey, if you can't find it let me know. I will send you some.

Linda

o

I love the Minnesota theme, and especially like the wild rice! Nice package!

Catherine

o

(pssst Linda ya shoulda cheated and put the pepper jelly with the corn bread as one item)

Wild rice is wonderful. My Trader Joes sells it. Let us know what you make!

o

nice package, LInda - REgional works for me - looks like you've lots of great stuff to choose from...

Gardengirl, have fun with all your goodies - I want to see those corn shaped muffins - lol!

Stacy

o

Wow! This is one great swap box! Enjoy!

o

Yum, I like everything in your package. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your corn sticks too.

Nice choices Linda.

Lee

o

Hand-painted stationary? I didn't know it existed; how lovely. The bread basket is wonderful. Everything looks scrumptious.

o

What wonderful stuff. I love the stationary and the cornbread pan.

Gardengirl, enjoy all your new goodies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here