Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Ideas for Themes?

Posted by gardengrl (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 06 at 16:34

What are some of the themes you've used or thought of from past swaps? For some reason, I'm having a brain fart with coming up for a theme...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Ideas for Themes?

Okay - this one's easy -- Valentine's Day!

Breakfasts

Desserts

Bake me - for bakers.

Once I printed out some recipes and put them in plastic sheets in a folder, along with some ingredients for the recipes.

We did an outdoor dining theme for a mini-swap once - it was summer.

BBQ - again more of a summer theme.

Some kind of ethnic package.

Cooking with kids.

o

Gina did cooking with kids for me. That was a great one.

Soup and salad.

Chocoholic

Picnic

Entertaining

Or no theme at all - just some cool stuff!

o

Seasonings - cool unusual salts, peppercorns, spices, cinnamon sticks, curry powder blends, etc.

A color theme - all red stuff, all black stuff, all blue stuff, etc.

Chocolate theme - anything that has to do with chocolate

Lemon theme - lemon soap, lemon zester, lemon juicer, etc.

Herb theme - packs of herb seeds, herb blends, herb vinegar, herb decorated stationary or recipe cards, herb scented soap

regional theme - products made in the area where you live, regional cookbook, travel brochures, map, magazines, postcards

o

Here are some of the themes that I've used in the past:

Regional

recipents kitchen colours

Roasting/Baking

Ethnic

Vintage

Mini Swap - Outdoor Patio Dining

Ann

o

Wow you guys are good..
I don't know what my theme if anything is going to be..

But I'll mull over these suggestions.

o

Funny, I was just getting online to post the same topic. This is my first swap, so trying to figure out a theme. I live in a rural area, the closest Whole Food type place is....150 miles one way:) I have decided to go with the theme, "There is no place like Nebraska" , which is the first line to the Nebraska pep song. I am going with items that are either made in Nebraska or started in Nebraska.

Will that theme work????

Stacie

o

I had a fabulous North Dakota package last swap -- I'm sure Nebraska can come thru for you just as well!

o

I almost always do a Canadian theme but I have done a few more specific themes. Happy Hour and BBQ come to mind.

o

I think Katie C. did an Idaho package a couple of swaps back.

o

I'm really lousy at themes. I do have a few things in mind this time and it's sort of a theme I guess.

I received a package from Katie and can tell you it was wonderful. Ellen is right it was an Idaho theme and delicious canned goodies.

I don't think a theme is necessary though.

Tracey

o

My theme is usually "stuff in a box". LOL

I agree, Tracey, I don't think a theme is necessary. At least I hope it isn't, I've NEVER come up with one.

Annie

o

I received a fabulous lemon package once. It was a regional theme and my partner was from Sonoma County. (Sorry, if you're reading this, I'll have to look up your name.) It had a lemon zester, microplane, lemon cookies, Meyer lemon olive oil and dressing, Sonoma County cookbook, and a whole bunch of real Meyer lemons!!! I'd never even heard of them. They were all different sizes, so I suspect they were homegrown. Can anyone top that?

o

Deanna~
Was Tomme your partner? I do remember your 'lemon' package, it was so amazing!

I'm on the sidelines this time :(, but am following the fun. Vintage sounds like a really cool avenue to explore.

o

Well, I am not sure what the theme was, but when granjan (Janet) was my partner (It was her first swap) She sent me 5 packages! The first one was fresh flowers from California. It was March in Michigan, so it was cold and wet. What a wonderful surprise that was. The next package was homemade cookies, because she knew I was a "cookie snob." Marvelous gourmet cookies that she made, plus ingredients and recipes to make them. Then I got a box of all different chocolates. The last two boxes were cool things like dumpling makers (I love them) and dessert servers, and I don't remember what all. But, the theme I guess was, "everytime you think it has to be over, it isn't!"

o

Oh, I forgot! I also got a box of fresh California fruit: oranges, lemons, limes I was sure sorry to see it end.lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here