SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

WANTED: Glorious confitures and other jews from Jessy!

alison
17 years ago

I know I say this with every swap, but -- I'm just blown away by this box! Jessy, it is so generous, so thoughtful -- and so right on the mark! I've no doubt you did a lot of research, and we have a lot of things in common, but there are also some things you couldn't have known, but nailed, like the ginko leaves -- also one of my favorites! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

For those of you who seen the box, let me reveal slowly, with commentary.

Everything came in an enormous box. The first thing I see when I open it up, affixed dramatically to a plain black rectangle, are these 4 blue chopstick rests in the shape of ginko leaves -- apparently a favorite of both Jessy's and mine.

{{gwi:1460131}}
The colors are perfect for my dining room, and these are so lovely that I don't need to worry about where to store them -- I can just leave them displayed on the console like objet d'arts!

Digging deeper in the box, there were also three bubble wrapped baubles. They looked dark, and felt soft in all the wrapping, and for a moment I was afraid it was fresh fruit that had been frozen in our unseasonable frigid temperatures. But when I unwrapped them I found three of Jessy's fine preserves -- and ones I had been lusting after since I first saw the recipes posted!

{{gwi:1460132}}
Fig preserves, blueberry peach frangelico jam and -- gasp! -- pears in Muscat with cardamom! I drooled over the recipes when I first saw them, and promised myself that I would try and make them soon -- now Jessy's sent me the actual items so I'll have a taste to measure my efforts to. I can't even imagine an occassion special enough for these confitures, (altho' I'm sure I'll find one soon!) -- I do know I'm going to take the pears to my parents house and share them with my Danish father. Mmmm.... cardamom....

Lest you think this package was all about the exotic and fanciful, Jessy also sent me a practical tool for the kitchen -- and the rest of my life.

{{gwi:1460134}}
I know the picture's a little blurry, but it's a Brothers P-Touch labeller! Not only the labeller (and a label cartidge) but Jessy even thoughtfully enclosed a little baggie-full of batteries! Jessy pointed out this is the perfect way to label all the spices I got from May in a recent swap! I confess, I'm a sucker for the tools of organizaton. I may not actualy be organized, but at least I have no excuse!

But all of this was only the top third of the box! I opened up the styrofoam cocoon that held the final item and really took a step back. Inside was a perfect little tangine, the signature vessel for the signature dishes of North Africa!

{{gwi:1460136}}
The picture really doesn't do it justice; the color is a rich, glowing persimmon orange. And it's about 7-8" wide --it will fit nicely in my oven or on top the stove , and is perfect for a Moroccan meal for 1! (or two.....) I've always wanted one of these, but just couldn't seem to justify getting one, space wise. Not only is this a perfect size, but it's so beautiful I don't have to put it away -- I can just put it on the console with the blue ginko leaves! It's absolutely wonderful, Jessy -- just perfect!

I shouldn't say it was the last item, because the card bears special mention, too.

{{gwi:1460138}}
I'm assuming this is one of AnnT's cards -- it has the hallmarks of her beautiful food photography and is a super classy card. I can't believe you could part with it, Jessy -- and then you embellished it with such a sweet note.

The whole ensemble:

{{gwi:1460140}}

This was truely a lovely package, Jessy, and it takes my breath away. thank you, thank you, thank you so much! I can't wait to make my first authentic lamb tangine, and I'll be toasting you, Jessy! (I may even have to eat it with chopsticks so I can complete the table setting....)

Comments (33)