SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lori316_gw

Shock and Awe: AnnT drops a bomb!

lori316
17 years ago

If you're in the US reading this, you need to stand up, face north and bow in Ann's direction. The rest of you, face BC. Go ahead...I'll wait.

I got home last night to a package from Ann. I think I need to go to thesaurus.com just to find the words to describe it. Bear with me while I try, but there are no words good enough.

In case you didn't know, there IS a Murphy's Law of Swaps. I'm sure others will attest to this. Your package always comes on a day when you need a pick-me-up the most. I got home to a leaking ceiling. Buckets all over my living room. Bob said I had a package. It was from Ann. Screw the leaky ceiling...I'd deal with it later!

When I opened the package, there was a card with a note, "open last." I wanted to open it first. Who'd know? But I was good and saved it for last. I'll get to that in a minute.

Everything was beautifully wrapped in pretty tissue paper.

Mackenzie helped me unwrap. On the paper were taped delicate leaves (see the bowl on the floor catching the leak? LOL)

The first thing I opened was a book. Some of you may remember I posted about how to start a garden, since I live in an area of contaminated soil. I asked about container gardening. Well, Ann sent a book, "Herbs for the Home - A Definitive Sourcebook to Growing and Using Herbs." It's written by Jekka McVicar. GET THIS BOOK! This has to be one of the best resource books I have ever seen. It lists countless herbs and their uses. A quick example: Coriander. It lists the species, cultivation, talks about pests & diseases, how to maintain, the light, soil type, how to harvest. It describes how to use when container growing. It lists its medicinal uses and even includes recipes! It's loaded with pictures.

All these pictures were taken with my cell phone, pardon the quality. The next picture didn't come out at all, but I'm sure everybody remembers the local artist that does the cutting/serving boards near Ann. Well, I'm already lucky enough to have a serving board, so Ann sent two beautiful wooden spoons. They are so smooth and perfect. They have such a nice feel to them. They also go into the category of "too pretty to use/too pretty not to."

Next to open was a painting (again, by a local artist) of 4 different herbs and their uses. Mackenzie immediately found a place for it. I wish you could see the detail. Ann, did you take pics?

Now, last...remember that card that I was supposed to open last? OMG! Ann made her card into a CALENDAR. Remember those food pictures Ann sent out and white elephanted? (new word) This is a whole calendar of pictures. Two years' worth!!! 2007 & 2008. My family and I drooled over it all night last night. I have committed to make each dessert in the calendar (though maybe not in the order presented. Kids are begging for doughnuts).

Ann, I truly, truly adore every item. I know this post and the pictures don't do it justice. I am honestly still flustered by your generosity and the time you took to research me. I will treasure everything.

Comments (37)