Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lee, you got me singing!

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 28, 06 at 12:57

Yipee, my swap package from Lee (LSR2000) got here yesterday! I didn't open it until this AM so my family could roll their eyes and then get jealous. DS #2 immediately insisted I give him a piece of that chocolate. I told him to joing the CF so he could get his own @#&## package. That'll larn them.

I'm a toughie to swap with because I don't always post about obvious things - with kids, I keep meals pretty simple. BUT Lee did pick up on the fact that I love opera - so that was my theme! Thank you Lee, for all the work you put in! I'm really going to enjoy this.

Here are the items all wrapped up (mostly)

Image hosting by Photobucket

And here is what she packed:

(1) The apron - red with black print - is by Al Hirshfeld, with about 50 of NY's Metropolitan Opera stars. I wish there was a legend, because I swear I already spotted Pavarotti three times. I'm counting Ninas already, thank god he doesn't list the number this time.

(2) Next is a CD and book set - 'Dining and the Opera in Manhattan' - recipes from Manhattan restaurants, AND a CD of opera arias, some of which I'll be singing in the car with my kids when they misbehave (heh heh). I browsed through the recipe book and they look fantastic, and even better, doable for a home cook. Truffles ... risottos...strawberries with balsamic ... oh baby, here I come.

(3) Third are two jars of conserves - I love those, since Annie, Katie and Robin turned me into a canner. Orange marmalade, made from fruit from Seville. Who can forget Alfalfa screeching out 'I'm the Barber of Seville'. I prefer Rossini's version with Figaro. And a jar of fig spread (I LOVE figs), Lee said 'represents the figs that were for sale by the street vendors outside the Cafe' Momus in Puccini's La Boheme'. I'm always watching for Musetta in that scene (so is everyone else), next time I'll look for figs!

(4) The chocolate. OMG. Three miniature bottles of 'Mozart' brand chocolate liqueurs, white, dark, and original. I haven't heard of those. But they do represent Wolfie's big three - light hearted Cosi Fan Tutte, the very original for its time "Magic Flute", and the dark "Don Giovanni", my favorite. I don't share these, paws off DH. Lee also sent an 'Encore' of black and white 'Encore' black and white chocolates.

Lee, ya done good. Please send on my thanks to your consultants: Bubbe, Compumom, your friend Mimi (!), and of course, your DH. Tell him we saw Wagner's Ring cycle in January and that we actually liked it! I'll hopefully see you in June! Thank you sooooo much!

The whole package:

Better take a closer look at those chocolate liqueurs:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lee, you got me singing!

What a creative theme! Jessy that is perfect for you. I love the CD and book set. The apron looks really cool. Maybe we could get a closer look? And of course the chocolate, they look wonderful.

I think it's funny Lee enlisted the help of others, when you are normally our "go-to" person. :)

Lee, you hit the nail on the head with this one. Great job!

o

Good point, Doris, the picture didn't really come out.

o

Wow! I love it all! Love that apron! The conserves sound wonderful! The chocolate liqueurs sound divine! I would love to borrow that CD!! I love that stuff! Great package!! Super job, Lee!

o

Jessica, that IS a perfect gift for you. I have to tell you, though, you didn't sing opera when you were here, not even in the car when Ashley and your DS#@ kept singing "Honky Tonk Ba Donka Donk".

The opera would have been better, really....

Annie

o

Oh my goodness - that apron is a treasure! Great, creative package Lee.

o

That is a very classy package, Jessy. Lee, you done good.

o

What a very cool and unique swap package! Good job, Lee!!

o

Wow, Lee, I am impressed! You scored the perfect theme for Jessy!

Love that apron, and oooh those liqueurs.....Drool! Great package1
Linda

o

Very fitting package for Jessica! ummmm, Jessica, yes, you must wear clothes under the apron!

Good work Lee! Great box from a great lady to another great lady!

o

Very nice - enjoy it all, I know you will!

o

Oh Lee very creative! I missed the whole Opera thing with Jessy! Aren't you a clever little thing! Great package, enjoy Jessy.

Sharon

o

The apron is so beautiful! When someone has a penchant it's nice to see it fted!!

o

Elegant swap gifts, Lee!

How could we forget Alfalfa's singing, Jessy! So now we have consultant's for you??? Have fun!

o

Lee- the package is just great! Love the apron and DH will ONLY eat Dundee Marmelade since before we were married. He'll try other jams, but no other marmelade but Dundee!

o

Jessy, whoa...those are super gifts.

Lee, Perfecto!

o

How perfect for you, Jessica. That is something else. What a class act, Lee. Wonderful job.

o

I am so impressed, what a wonderful package!

o

Now that is taking a theme, and making it perfect!

o

Wow, great package you have there Jessy. Love the apron and the chocolate liquers are great!! Very cool and creative swap box Lee!

David

o

What a great theme and incredible follow through. A+

o

Jessy, I'm always relieved when something I ship arrives intact. I'm glad you're pleased. I'm pretty surprised that it was delivered so fast. I felt bad that I had to send it Saturday afternoon when the deadline was Friday.

You'd never guess how much I learned putting this together for you. Both Max and I had a fun time doing it. I still have some kosher confusion though!

So, how many Nina's were there? I didn't think to look as I wrapped. Max had an opportunity to buy a Hirshcfeld drawing of Marlene Dietrich on a biz trip to NO a few years ago. He's really regretted that he passed on it.

Ellen and Max have seen this and I'll pass it on to my other consultants.

Lee

o

Lee, how creative!!!

Jessy, I gotta see you modeling the apron!!!

Cheers!
Susie

o

Lee, I love the apron and the cd and recipe book - what a fun, personal package for Jessy.

Jessy, let's see ya in the apron -

Stacy

o

That is so special. I have never seen anything like those items. Very clever. Bravo!!

o

Terrific job Lee!! I especially love the apron. When I was young I loved looking for the Ninas. Okay, anytime i get my hands on a Hirshfeld I still do love it. Enjoy Jessy, if you don't post much for a while we know you are Nina hunting.

-Robin

o

Stacy do you want me in just the apron?

o

Just be sure the persimmons are tucked out of sight . . . .

o

What a unique and special package. Enjoy!

o

Lee,

I know that you spent a lot of time researching this theme..kudos to you for all your success.

Jessy,

Enjoy your treasures, I can just picture you in the apron sipping on a liqueur, listening to the CD.

Rene

o

WOW what a great package. Looks like a lot of thought went into it. Nice job Lee.

Jessy, Enjoy your gifts and put something on under that apron!

Tracey

o

What a great apron! Yes, wear the apron while sipping/ enjoying the chocolate liqueurs.

Barb

o

That is one classy swap package!! Super sleuthing, Lee. I really like these packages that have a "theme." They are so creative! I'd be singing Italian arias all the time with that apron. Love it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here