SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlsingardens

WANTED: information on swap partners for newbies

girlsingardens
16 years ago

I know that there are lots of newer members joining in this swap, and I know it has been a year since I have done a swap. So thought it would be a good idea to tell a little about yourself. I know that this will be a swap of your own favorite things it helps to know a little about your partner.

I am a stay at home mom and have 3 little ones 2 girls ages are 4 and 2 and a little boy who is 6 months old. Before the kids I taught school, and the schools that I taught at were one room schools, something you don't see much any more. I love gardening, growing flowers and veggies, doing lots of canning and freezing for fruits and veggies for our family during the winter. I have made my own baby food for our oldest 2 and am doing the same for Hayden out of veggies and fruits that I picked this summer and processed and froze.

I think my girls wait even more than I for the swap boxes to arrive. I know that the girls will be helping pack and so some surprises might show up ( I promise not to send one of the girls) When I get my box the girls will stake claims to the swap items for themselves. So if you get some homemade pictures or weird extras in your box it is from my little helpers.

I love cooking, baking, gardening and doing some crafts but with 3 little ones don't get to do as much fancy things as I would like. Mostly meat and potatoes and the ocassional frozen pizza lol. DH is an activity director and we attend games and activities several nights a week.

I am pretty easy to please. Love vintage anything and what ever your favorite is I am sure I will love.

Stacie

girlsingardens

Comments (40)

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

I love kitchen gadgets!! I love to cook, bake, can and do crafting. I cook mostly from scratch and we eat chicken, fish, elk, some red meat occasionally. I have a herb garden in the spring and summer, snow here now. My kitchen is mostly in red and black tones. I'm easy to please.

Linda P

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Good idea Stacie - I hope you're feeling better. :-)

I live in Western New York in an old Victorian style home with my DH and son, 9 yrs old, dog Sammy, some sharks in a tank, some other fish and now, a leopard gecko...:-)
    ((I promise to not send HIM!))

I'm a full time mom having left a career as a case manager for developmentally disabled adults before Will was born. Every once in awhile, I wish I could escape to my little office and my laptop but mostly, I love being home.

Except for everyone thinking that because I'm home, I have time to do...everything. :-)

We're pretty much open in what we eat - I like to garden, but am just starting to get back to it, after being somewhat "preoccupied" with my guy for several years.

I try more and more to not use prepared foods.

My kitchen is gold, black and stainless - some red accents. I love pretty serving pieces - any style. Love to entertain. I don't buy much for myself for the kitchen - love cookbooks - pretty plates - cool shapes - anything! Your favorites would probably end up mine.

I've started to get into canning, but didn't find the time much this past year.

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: :O) Adopt a Newbie Partner List #2

Q

Comments (150)
    WOW! This was a never ending box of goodies! Michael sent the following in his box:..ahem... a 7 piece vanilla home fragrance set "sniffing" an adorable red rooster windchime (getting ready to hang that bugger up) eco friendly shopping bag (I've been meaning to get one of these) fragrant flower garden seed mix..it has 11 different flowers and covers 100 ft..(I know just where this will go!) scatter and grow wildflower garden seeds (this will go great right over there "pointing") silver metal flower planter (good for herbs) flowered plant pot PINK: garden shears, claw, hand shovel, kneeler, hose sprayer and flower pot (now I can feel girly even when I'm filthy!) pretty smelling hand lotion "paint your own knome"..this is the cutest thing and I've never seen one before! little knome with shovel (he'll go in my fairy garden) magnatic weekly wipe off garden calendar (this is going to be really handy) my garden journel (this will make it easier to keep track of what I'm doing) small metal watering pitcher (good for those hard to reach places) sun stake with matching metal fencing ( I have the perfect place for it) plant markers (do we ever have enough of these???) flexible garden ties (I can use these for the tomatoes) magnetic refrig list (I'm always writing on these!) well, Michael, I think you outdid yourself! I'm extremely happy with my box....and now it's your turn..."rubbing hands together"...
    ...See More

update: bf oldie, newbie swap wishes

Q

Comments (105)
    Annie,THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! My box just got here & I'm in plant heaven! Inside there is: 'All Fired Up' Daylily 'Prairie Blue Eyes' Daylily Pink with lime throat Daylily 'Candy Apple' dwarf Iris 'Clarence' Iris 'Congratulations' Iris 'Going My Way' Iris 'Harvest Of Memories' Iris 'Jean Marie' Iris 'Jessie's Song' Iris 'Lemon Chess' Iris 'Ron' Iris Yellow Iris ~~~~~~~~~~~ Liatris spiked Gay Feather Monarda'Marshall's Delight' Tall garden phlox 'David' ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Purple Coneflower Also included were plant tags with the names on one side & the year & Annie's name on the other.Now I'll always remeber who gave them to me and when.As if I could forget! I now have iris with NAMES!!((dancing))I love EVERYTHING!!!Thanks again Annie! Now if everyone will excuse me,I'm off to play in the dirt!
    ...See More

WANTED: New - Mini Swap January 2006

Q

Comments (95)
    Sherry, glad you have decided to go for it. Lori and Robin, just wondered if you have decided to participate or not? I want to add you to the list. Just a reminder - if you are new to the forums and especially if this is your first Swap, make sure that you activitely post over the next few weeks so that your partner will be able to find some current information on you. Most of us like to search the various threads for hints of things that you might like rather than look at a list of likes and dislikes. Also, if you are looking for information on your partner and can't find what you are looking for, then get sneaky and start a thread on the cooking forum that hopefully your partner will post to. Example - Want to know if your partner likes spicy foods? Start a thread asking about favourite Curry or Mexican foods. Or maybe you are thinking of including something BBQ or Grill related. Start a related thread. Ann
    ...See More

WANTED: My swap partner..

Q

Comments (3)
    I bet you are chewing your fingernails, waiting for confirmation that it has arrived. I can't wait to see who gets it (I haven't kept track)and the goodies.
    ...See More
  • Gina_W
    16 years ago

Don't forget about these old threads:

One

Two

Three

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

I am sitting out this swap, so I would be happy to do some "sleuthing" if anyone needs me to be sneaky for them! LOL

Linda

• Lars
    16 years ago

I show up on threads One and Three, but I don't think it has much general information.

I'm a baby-boomer living in Venice, California with my younger brother (GenX, I think), and we enjoy mountain biking and surf activities - at least up until last summer, which was the first one when we didn't spend that much time at the beach.

I'm pretty adventurous with food, but I have recently made some changes in my diet to help lower my cholesterol - mainly switching to whole grains whenever possible, but I break that rule when I make pizza. Also, I'm a Pisces, if that helps!

Lars

• deborah_ps
    16 years ago

I'm new to swaps and hope my partner posts too :)

We live in Palm Springs where the weather is fine most of the time :) Excepting summer which is a bummer :( So, there are many months of outdoor living.
    Cooking is a passion for me and trying new recipes and ingredients especially. I'm not a fan of bottled dressings and such unless it comes recommended from a foodie. I try to use fresh where I can.
    Our style is eclectic, leaning towards Old World Italian (family history), yet our place is of Mid Century Modern era and we enjoy that look too. I said we were eclectic!
    I like unusual salt and pepper shakers, small pitchers, depression glass (light green and pink), vintage geegaws, olive oils, sea salts, spices, honeys, home-made anything.
    I'm teaching myself to become a better baker and still need help in that area.
    I hope this helps a bit and I'll be thrilled receiving whatever my partner feels is their favorite cooking finds!

Deborah

• jimtex
    16 years ago

OK, now I'm trying to figure out how many swaps I've not been in. I looked through all the threads so it must have been longer than I thought. Other than that I'm very pleased with the person I will send to.
    James

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I think I've got a post on all those other threads..
    But a few things have changed.
    I eat Wheat Free now..and by proxy the "mens" do on some things too. However, since I don't have a gluten intolerance, I still make things with some wheat in them for the guys or friends. I just don't put it in my mouth.

I'm trying to go as organic as I can afford..Soon I'll be starting up veggie gardening again. Only Heirloom varieties or organically grown seeds. I'm trying to get my family to understand portion control, and proper food choices.
    It's an interesting change to make..and has to go slow or they'd revolt. LOL
    I love Easter and bunnies and bird houses..I feed the birds in the back yard all year long. I have 2 permanent Anna's Hummingbirds that have wintered with me, and an occasional juvenile male that stops by. I try to plant things in the "bird/bug" garden that attracts good natured friends.

I'd be happy with pretty much anything for the kitchen, the yard or decorating.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Another hint is to look at what your swap partner sends TO their partner heh heh - don't we give things we love ourselves?

• shaun
    16 years ago

Hi ya swap buddy, whoever you are!

Well I'm the easiest one to get so you're lucky to have me! hahahahah! That's what I tell my husband every chance I get. No, not that I'm easy, I tell him he's LUCKY! hee hee!!!

We live in Sunny South Florida where it's almost always nice enough to eat outside on our patio.

I love to bake but haven't really gotten the whole bread thing down yet.

We love to entertain, love spicy foods, no food allergies. Hubs and son are junk food eaters.

It's just the 3 of us living here now; my husband, my son and I. My son is now 11 yrs old. Oh and our dog Ricky and cat Lucy.

Pleae no frogs or chicken feet. Other than that, I will totally love whatever you send me!

• livvyandbella
    16 years ago

Hello,
    I-am-writing-from-my-broken-computer.
    Livvy-and-Bella-are-two-of-my-four-dogs.
    I-am-retired...my-husband-is-back-to-work-consulting.
    Just-the-two-of-us-with-the-four-dogs.
    I-am-a-vegetarian...eat-a-lot-of-home-made-soup.
    Make-my-own-vegetarian-broth-and-then-eat-broccoli-minestrone-every-week.
    My-favorite-hobby-is-antiquing....can't-wait-for-the-yard-sales-to-begin.
    I-love-gardening.
    Of-course-I-love-my-dogs.
    It-is-fun-getting-to-know-all-of-you.

Barb

• sigh
    16 years ago

I just love surprises. No allergies, no dietary restrictions (thank God). I live with my better half, my 4YO son, a rescued Rottie & a foundling cat.

Again, I love surprises so I will be happy with whatever my partner sends.

Now I just need to know if MY partner enjoys the occasional cocktail...

Nina

• shaun
    16 years ago

Oh Nina, if you have me, I do! In fact, my husband is in the process of building a home bar right off our kitchen area!!

• susie_que
    16 years ago

Looking over those old threads was very sweet...kinda got a little lump in my throat when I read some folks mention loved ones who are no longer with us. I guess we must march onward.

As for me there are few changes. I still work in a supermarket only now I also do cooking demos a few days a week. I do 30 minute photo lab the other days.
    Over that past year I joined a gym, lost 45 lbs and gained a lot of strength lifting weights-I can even beat HD in arm wrestling although he still claims I let him win LOL!!

I watch what I eat but still eat what I want! I just eat in moderation. My new years resolution was to give up soda which I have done 100% since Jan!! Also for lent I have given up red meat (You can bet there will be prime rib on my Easter table).
    My family carries the alcohol gene and I have battled with excess in the past so as a family unit we do not drink at all anymore. My younger brother is in AA and we all support each other in the effort.

My family unit is DH Frank. We will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in April!! DD Amy is away at college but comes home when I make french onion soup or salsa!!
    DS Drew is 15 and in high school. He's in love so I see very little of him LOL!!
    I have 2 dogs and 3 cats. Our Rottie is not well right now. She has a whole mess of cancer removed a few weeks ago so we have to watch her like a hawk looking for any changes.

I take care of my elderly mother who really runs me ragged!
    I am a little upset that other family members do not step up to assist so most of her care lands on me. But she is mom and I will do all I can for her,

My house is classic modern. Shades of browns and greens. I like clean lines, glass, metal ect....and to mix things up I throw in things like a faux mink blanket draped over my modern sofa or a silver tray lined with river rocks and sea glass.

My kitchen is a mess LOL!! Its time for a major re-do!!
    I hope to have it done by years end. We like stainless steel and will base our colors on the rest of the house.

I love the swaps here and I always enjoy what I get and I appreciate the thoughtfulness!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• alison
    16 years ago

I think I'm in all of the previous "getting-to-know-you" threads, but I'm a pretty easy swap partner.

I live with two irascible cats, and I often cook or bake for the folks at work. I enjoy "raw" cuisine -- as well as Middle Eastern, Eastern European and Thai dishes. But I tend to cook pretty simply.

I have a very tiny kitchen, so I utilize the space as creatively as possible; megnetic knife rack and spice racks on the fridge, utensil racks hanging from the walls, and all sorts of pans hanging from the outside of the cabinets.

My color scheme in the kitchen is blue and white, and the dining room is blue and green with black accents.

No food allergies, but I'm not fond of super hot food. I don't drink coffee anymore, and I've not found a tea I really like -- altho I speed thru boxes of herbal tea at work. I prefer beer or vodka to wine. I like sweets, but I like sour tastes, pickly tastes, too! (And creamy, and bitter, and sharp, and....)

That's all I can think of -- hope it helps!

• jimtex
    16 years ago

My bad. I got caught up in all the old posts and forgot what thread I was on. I always tell my swap partners that I want to get some things they like. I will like whatever you send.
    James

• spacific
    16 years ago

Hmmm...
    Since I've not been in a swap here before, here's a bit about me. DH, DS and I live in a 1917 craftsman bungalow. My kitchen is in keeping with the period, white cabinets, subway tile, and a schoolbus yellow stove. So I use that golden yellow in accents (a couple of Le Creuset pots for example). I cherish my morning latte. Love homemade jams, relishes, salsas, etc. Food wise, I mostly cook mediterranean-influenced with some traditional Polish foods thrown in to keep a bit of family heritage going.

I like presents! I'm a wine drinker. I keep a kitchen garden going. I love growing what we eat. Does that help?
    Ann

• diana55
    16 years ago

If you have "Gina" as a partner, don't forget to send "the poor dog of hers" a treat.LOL He's so sad in his last Swap photos !!! Diana55

• diana55
    16 years ago

I mean "Nina !!! LOL

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting those links Gina. My major change since then is that I've moved into a real house. I now have my first formal dining room and a huge(to me) kitchen with plenty of storage and cooking areas. I have a unique collection of stuff so don't worry about color or style. I like to mix it up. Just have fun and don't worry about....that's what I tell myself anyway...LOL! Your favorite thing(s) are fine with me partner.

David

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

The theme of the swap is YOUR favorite things. So my partner's favorites are fine with me.

Michelle

• girlsingardens
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had to laugh when I looked at the swap from 2 years ago. At that time Rhiannon was 2 and a half and Peyton was 6 months old. Now Rhiannon is 4 and a half, Peyton is 2 and a half and Hayden is the 6 month old LOL.

Stacie

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I'm on the 3rd list, and the main change in my life is that we've added another cat to the family. (Sheesh, why do people keep dumping them?) Also, for the time being, ds #2 has moved back home and is attending culinary school, so we jostle for time in the kitchen and trade ideas. It's been fun, but a little crowded. He's only home temporarily, though. (He and DS and I are all kind of eager for him to find another place to live, even though we've enjoyed having him home for a while). But I digress. There's really not anything I can think of to add to what I said in the other thread.

As Michelle said, with the theme being your favorite things, I'm real excited about this swap, cause I know y'all have excellent taste, and whatever is sent going to be great.

Sally

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

I'm very easy too! I like just about anything except flavored coffee and licorice. Lately I have been into Italian cooking and regularly bake bread, but not too many sweets. I love "ingredients" like spices, sauces, marinades, etc. and relishes, pickles and jam - Penzey's and King Arthur Flour are two favorite web sites. I collect pottery in any color and I use it too. Whatever are your favorite things will be pleasing to me, I know.

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I know I'm on some of the older threads... nothing has changed here.
    I'll be happy with whatever my partner's favorite things are.

Nancy

• netla
    16 years ago

There is quite a bit of information about me in the previous "about me" threads, but a little more isnÂt going to hurtÂ

I have loads of cookbooks so if you plan on sending me one, you might want to look at the list of what I already have:
    http://cooking-challenge.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-recipe-and-cookery-book-collection.html
    http://cooking-challenge.blogspot.com/2007/09/additions-to-cookbook-collection.html
    http://cooking-challenge.blogspot.com/2008/01/more-cookbooks.html

I am going through those cookbooks one by one and trying to cook something from each of them, and to decide which ones to keep and which ones to cull.

I am not particularly into cocktails, but like having an assortment of liqueurs around that can be used in cooking and with ice cream.

I am willing to taste almost any food, and I especially like trying regional specialties.

• sigh
    16 years ago

Oh Diana, you forgot me already! I was thinking "who is this Gina with the poor, sad dog?"

That poor, sad dog of mine is as fat as a toad! Yes, when we first got her she was 15 pounds underweight & you could see every one of her bones but now? Please, she's as plush as an ottoman and about as big. The vet says that she's fine, not a bit overweight but she's veeeery good at giving the pathetic "I'm so hungry, nobody ever feeds me" look. We call it the hard boiled egg eyes. Don't kid yourself, she's probably asleep right now with an empty kong, a full belly and a stuffed toy.

Nina

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

Hi! My name is Karen and not much has changed in my life ...except, I just gave away most of my cookbooks. I told myself that I could only keep 100 and I stuck to it! With the Internet and all of the recipes I get on this forum, I find I just don't need all the cookbooks I have. Besides I need to make room for more pottery. LOL!

I'm very easy to please... I know I will love your favorite cooking related thing.

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

OH, thanks, Gina! That is helpful.

Hi, partner! I am on the other threads and the main change is a new member of the family:)

I have no restrictions and am really open to whatever you choose to send me! The anticipation is so much fun and what is better than a surprise?

No worries:)

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Just a reminder. Although it is nice to get to know your partner's likes and dislikes, the theme of this swap is the same as our last swap which seemed to be very successful. Send your partner up to three of your favourite cooking related items.

James, just so you know, this is your 8th swap. And Alison, this will be your 13th. I think that Katie holds the record. This will be the 15th swap I've organized and Katie has participated in all of them.

Have fun.

Ann

• jimtex
    16 years ago

Am I getting this right? If you buy something that comes as a set it counts as one item?

• diana55
    16 years ago

That's right Jim. A set of Placemats, or a set of Wine glasses,is one item. Diana55

• diana55
    16 years ago

Now Nina......how could I forget the girl who loves these two......

• mer4205
    16 years ago

Hi! I think I'm in the the old threads...I will love anything you would send...maria

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

Well, I thought I had better post here since I was asked to join this swap after-the-fact because someone "had" to drop out after they already had their partner. Sorry, Ann, for the horrible bind that that put you in.
    First of all, I do want the person I am sending to to know that I am delighted to send to him/her. I haven't done a swap in some time, and I think this one will be fun.
    Now, a little about me for my new swap partner.
    I love kitchen gadgets. My kitchen and dining room are yellow, red, blue. I love wine. I really love and need serving bowls. I love eclectic but I hate polka dots. I love aprons, and can't get enough of them. I love regional stuff, including foods. My wish book is the King Arthur flour catalog. I am on Weight Watchers, but I still love to make (and eat) breads. I love to cook, but love to bake even more. I love to look at jams and jellies, although I seldom eat them, but I don't really need any more. I have enough to last 10 years or more. I love dark chocolate, hate milk chocolate. Oh wait, I forgot! The theme for this swap is stuff that YOU love. Well, I guarantee that I will love what you send me. I am like a kid in a candy store when a swap package arrives! I will be easy to buy for, I promise.
    Sherry

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Sherry, you're a doll!

As for me, my previous posts are in the threads linked above but DO NOT WORRY! I am easy-peasey and I love all kinds of stuff.

Ann, if Katie's done 15 I must've done 14, right? I've only skipped one.

• ann_t
    16 years ago

So true Gina. Sherry really is a doll.

Gina, your count is accurate. This is your 14th swap.

Ann

• jessyf
    16 years ago

(pssst Gina likes condiments)

Three cheers to Sherry for saving the day!

I too have most of my stuff linked above. Not much has changed, I can't wait to see your favorites. I'm still using lots of the stuff Terri sent me! Except I'm thinking of chicken feet....

• sheshebop
    16 years ago

What she does for this forum in phenomenal. Her cookbooks, her help, her gorgeous photo postcards, her support... are generous and kind, but what she does for these swaps is amazing. Fifteen swaps! There have been 15 swaps? Wow!
    It is very hard work to arrange them. It's a very time consuming job, trying to make sure that nobody gets the same partner as before, and trying to arrange swappers to get partners from different geographical areas.
    She does all this because she is Ann T: an amazingly talented woman who does not deserve any carp from anyone over this "unpaid position."
    So, I suggest all of us who appreciate her and the amazing swap job she does lift a glass and give her a salute wherever you are. I for one appreciate everything she does for us, and all the work that she puts into these swaps. I know we often tell her after a swap is over how much we appreciate her, but I really think right now she could use a huge boost from all of us. So, let's salute her right here and now with whatever you are drinking at the moment.
    I salute you, Ann, with a glass of ice cold water!
    Sherry

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Well I have posted all there is too know about me on the other threads, but it really doesn't matter, cause I like anything and everything! Especially when its wrapped and comes from someone else. So if you have me for a partner, just have fun and relax cause you know I am going to love it!

Shelley

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts