Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: New - Mini Swap January 2006

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 13, 06 at 20:24

From the feed back Ive received it looks like many of our members would like to have a swap sooner rather than later.

Because of a few concerns related to the fact that the forum is now free and that we have quite a few new members that would like to participate this swap is going to be a mini swap. In order to participate you must be an active member of the cooking forum and have posted to the Cooking forum on or before January 12th. It will not be open to anyone who joins the Cooking forum specifically to participate in this Swap.

The guidelines for this mini swap are:

You must be prepared to spend a minimum of $25.00 Plus the Shipping Costs. And the number of items will be limited to 3 or 4. ( I know that many of you generous folk hate to have limits set, but as mentioned above this is a MINI SWAP so please stick to this limit or wait until the next regular swap.)

You can choose your own theme. Here is a list of categories that might help. Mix and Match. If you think of any other categories please share them.

Homemade (Jams, Condiments, Candles)
Paper (Cookbooks)
Pottery
Glass
Wood
Textiles (Placemats, Napkins, Aprons, pot holders, etc...)
Metal
New
Vintage/Antique
Gadgets
Food
Ethnic

Teresa has suggested a good theme "one homemade item (food or not), a spice, blend or dry seasoning and a recipe that would use the spice, a not expensive gadget and candy/chocolate - or something on this order."

If you havent participated in a swap before this is how they work. The swap will be a Secret Partner Swap. This means that you will only have the name of the person that you are sending to. You will not know who you are receiving from until you receive your Gift. When you receive your gift it is important to post as soon as possible and share with everyone the contents of your box. And if possible, include pictures. If for some reason your swap box arrives but you cannot post soon after, then at least post or email your partner letting them know that it has been received and that you will post as soon as you can. Most of us track our shipment and start to get nervous when it shows up as delivered and there is no response.

The deadline for mailing out the swap boxes is February 24th.Sign up here between now and next Wednesday, January 18, 2006. Send me an email that contains your online name, your full name and address and your telephone number. This information will only be shared with your partner.

After everyone has their partners name a new thread will be started so everyone can share some important information. Such as Allergies or food restrictions related to health or religion, number of family members etc... But the best way to find out about your partner is to do a search and read some of their posts to the cooking forum as well as to any other forums that they post to.

Let the fun begin.

Ann.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: New - Mini Swap January 2006

I'm in! I'm in! YEEEEESSSSSS!! Yes YES YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!

(think Meg Ryan)

o

I'm not as "IN" as Jessy, LOL, but I am in the swap!

o

I'll have what she's having! : )

I'm in! Thanks Ann!

Tikanas

o

This sounds like so much fun!! I'm in :)

o

Can't resist...count me in.

Nancy

o

Oh yeah-count me in ! You are one determined brave lady to do this one . Thx for being so.

Diane

o

OH, I really want to be in....I'm going to be in FL from Feb. 10-Mar. 5. It's no problem for me to ship from there, but, I don't want to confuse the issue by having something sent to my FL address (not that I would mind receiving there, I often have things sent there). It would just have to be sent in time to assure delivery before I leave. I'll leave it to your judegment, Ann, if I should participate or not.

Jayne

o

Glad you liked my mini swap idea, Ann! And *YES* I'm in!

Teresa

o

I'm really in! And, I'll have two of whatever Jessica is having!

Thanks Ann!

o

I'm in - make mine a pastrami on rye, extra mustard and pickles! Ann, I'll send you my new office addy.

o

Jayne, you should play. I'll just remind your partner to mail your gift so that it doesn't arrive until after you are home on the 5th of March.

Ann

o

So glad I can participate this time around.
Count me in.
Linda

o

I'd love to be in.

o

Sign me up.

o

Count me in Ann.

o

Count me in, too, please, Ann. You're terrific for organizing these!

o

Count me in too please! I missed the last one and regreted not having all the fun.....

Peppi

o

I'd like to be added to the list. Yea, my first swap!

Susan_in_NC

o

Yes, Yes, Yes! I'm not sure how good I'll do at mini swapping. I'm more of a maxi type, can't ever make a single batch of anything, but I'll do my best. (I think I have at least half a dozen items in my swap/hostes gift drawer already!) Janet

o

Count me in, Ann. I will e-mail you my address in case you no longer have it.

Thanks for taking this "project" on!

Linda

o

Wow Janet, you really got ahead start. Since you are limited to four (4) items this time, you can set two aside for a future swap.

I like mini swaps because I think you have to use more imagination.

Just to clarify what "one" item is. A set of something equals one item. Example: If you send a set of ramekins, whether there are two in the set or eight (8), that would be one item. Or four (4) place mats and matching napkins could be considered one item although it could also be considered two. I think it is pretty obvious, so no cheating.

Nice to see so many regulars still wanting to play and some "virgin swappers" too.

I need to know if anyone has a problem sending to Canada or outside North America.

Ann

o

And I'm volunteering to be the 'swap spy' again. That means if you need specific information, like size of table for tableclothes, or whether someone needs/wants more dishtowels, color schemes, etc. I'm very discreet, you can ask for references!!!

One time someone was asking me kosher questions...I thought it was for another kosher member, but it turned out to be for me! It was Janet....:-(

It was real fun when I was at Annie's this summer. Her partner was emailing me questions about her kitchen. What a hoot that was.

o

Jessica, how do you keep what a person is receiving secret if you ask them the size of their table or if they have enough tea towels?

Ann

o

Good question! Usually the requests haven't been that obvious in leading up to what is being considered. For example, asking what kind of tea the recipient likes doesn't mean that tea will be sent - it could be that a Japanese or English teapot is in mind. I've reworded questions to 'red herring' things too. I've been asked how to spell a family member's name (for an apron). Sometimes I'm just asked for search help.

I don't expect many takers, this is a mini-swap!

o
RE: WANTED: New - Miniw Swap January 2006

Good question! Usually the requests haven't been that obvious in leading up to what is being considered. For example, asking what kind of tea the recipient likes doesn't mean that tea will be sent - it could be that a Japanese or English teapot is in mind. I've reworded questions to 'red herring' things too. I've been asked how to spell a family member's name (for an apron). Sometimes I'm just asked for search help.

o
RE: WANTED: New - Miniw Swap January 20006

o
Oooops

AAAAAACK sorry about that. My mouse is misbehaving.

o

Your mouse learned from the master, Jess.

I'm in, too. Sounds like a lot of fun!

o

I hope I can live up to expecations here-------I guess the best place to find out is a mini-swap, so count me in! Thanks.

o

Does anyone know what the regulations around shipping food to the US are? My friend tried sending her Mom (who was vacationing in Arizona last Christmas) a food basket, but they wouldn't let it through, saying that we weren't allowed to send food to the US?

How does that work around the swap? Anyone know? Or would we Canadians be forced to send non-food items in the swap?

Catherine (swap virgin)

o

I'm in!

LOL, Janet, I have a a drawerful of swap things I've collected, too.

blueiris...No expectations....just have fun.

o

jessyf - I'm relieved to know we have a "spy." As a first-time swapper, I'm a little nervous about putting together a nice surprise, especially considering so many listers here must have every kitchen food, implement, cookbook under the sun!

o

Catherine, I'm not sure I would call it "forced" to send non food items. LOL! I actually prefer to send non food items. Hopefully things that my partner will like and will have for some time. But to answer your question it is much easier to send non food items to the US. It is my understanding that you can send homemade items with less hassle than commercially prepared foods.

I think that Sharon (Chase) knows what the rules and regulations. I'll bring your question to her attention in case she missed it.

I'm so glad that we are back on the Island for this swap. We have a lot of local artisans in this area and I can usually find something interesting for a swap partner.

Ann

o

Are you saying I'm a Virgin Swapper? Don't tell my husband - he might get ideas!

I'm in! Jesse - good to know you will be there.

Now, I do have a question....I don't can or craft so I'm afraid I wouldn't have "homemade" items like that. Is that okay? Don't want it to seem like I don't want to put time in but I don't want to poison anyone or subject them to my kindergarten level crafts!!! Is that okay?????

o

I don't can either Maggie - noone's getting homemade foods from me. No worry.

o

Or from me either Maggie. And I'm not crafty so there won't be any other homemade gifts from this house.

Ann

o

Maggie, I'm not crafty at all! Nor do I can jelly or vegetables every year. I take "homemade" to mean anything that is made by hand. It doesn't have to be something 'I' made or crafted. So I may have a friend or a local canner that is willing to sell their wares to me so I can send them to my swap partner.
We have a local indoor market and some nice gift shops that have beautiful hand thrown pottery. I think a local artist market would have something nice to send a swapper.

I'm excited to find out who my swap partner is so I can go shopping.

o

that works for me - ann I will email you my info.

o

Count me in, too!

I can't want to start the planning. . .

Karen

o

Count me in...I am a virgin swapper too. Lurked over other swaps, sort of lived vicariously thru all of you! This looks like so much fun!

o

Ann - Count me in too. Sounds like fun.

o

I'll play!!

Cheers!
Susie

o

After much consideration I've decided that I am not going to play in this round. I'd like to, but as you may have noticed I'm a bit thin on time these days. Hopefully next time around I can opt in.

o

Me. me, me!

I'd like to join.

o

I'm in. Just got in from a trip to the most charming little town where I could have cleaned up with crafty, homemade, kitcheny things.

Cathy

o

Cathy, I was hoping you would see this thread. Elleen, I'm disappointed that you aren't playing this time. Just might have to give you a call and talk you into it. You know that you are going to be sorry that you didn't play.

If this is your first swap, please make sure you email me with your online name , your full name and address as well as your telephone number.

So far we have 31 participants.

1. Jessica
2. Karen (Trixie TX)
3. Tikanas
4. Deanna1949
5. Nancy (Wizardnm)
6. Diane (Craftyrn)
7. Jayne (Kent)
8. Teresa
9. Karen (Riverrat)
10. Gina
11. Linda (Lindainct)
12. Terri (pacnw)
13. Ilisa (Arabella)
14. Debbie (Debbie814)
15. Deb (Momto4kids)
16. Peppi
17. Susan (Susan in nc)
18. Janet (Granjan)
19. Linda (Doucanoe)
20. Diana (dlundin)
21. Blueiris
22. Catherine (Ziporion)
23. Katiec
24. Maggie
25. Karen (Karigraphy)
26. Chancesmom
27. Doris
28. Susie (Que)
29. Eileen
30. Cathy (Mustangs)
31. Me

o

Make that 32!!!

David

o

Oh I just can't make up my mind! Do I want to? Do I not?

Still thinking...................

o

Shaun, you know you want to! Go for it!

Catherine

o

Yeah, get off the fence girl! Jump in!

o

Oh, I was just coming back to say, YES, I'll play (thanks Ann). Alas, I see I'm already on the roster.

Ann, I wouldn't mind at all receiving in FL and playing on the same time schedule as everyone else. If the deadline for mailing is Feb. 24, that allows nine days to arrive before I leave. (And even better, if my partner mails 2 or 3 days early.) But, as I said, I don't want to confuse the issue. I'll e-mail you with my FL address and exact dates I'll be there.

Oh, and I'll ship anywhere.

I can't wait to get my partners name!

Jayne

o

Ok!! I'll do it! Add me to the list!!!!

o

YAY Shaun! I knew you could doooo it!

o

Ya gotta know I'm in! I've been looking forward to the next swap so I'm glad we're doing it!

o

Hurrah for Shaun...I'm glad you're playing!

o

Jayne! If I get you, I know EXACTLY what I'll buy!!

o

Count me in! Now to find my imagination . . . Adele

o

OMG Shaun, I'm afraid, very afraid. Please Ann, do not give my name to Shaun! LOL!

o

Shaun dear I think you should be more afraid of who gets YOU. Ribbit.

o

Jessy I AM afraid.

I'm going to let you all in on one more thing that give me the creeps, besides frogs.

Diamonds. They give me the heebie jeebies. Big shiney, sparkley diamonds.

o

Jayne, at least sending to Florida wouldn't be a problem for Shaun. LOL!

You're safe. No one ever sends to their own State.

Ann

o

AHHHHHHH! I almost missed it! If you sign me up, I agree to hang around a little more in the upcoming weeks, OK? There's nothing like catching one "bug" right after another and feeling like carp to make you not feel like doing anything...

Ann, I can send anywhere.

Stacy

o

I would love to join too:) It might help get out of these not yet sping blues.

Stacie

o

Stacy if I hadn't heard from you I would have brought this thread to your attention. I know that you always participate.

Stacie (Gardenginwithbaby) please email me your full name and address as well as telephone number.

Ann

o

Stacy hope you are feeling better!!

o

Count me in, if it's not too late! Ohhh, I'm so nervous! What if I do it wrong? (virgin swapper's anxiety! LOL)

o

Whew...glad I'm participating from FL this time, so I'm safe from Shaun! I can't even imagine what she might have in mind.

Stacy..good to see you post...I was just wondering where you've been. Hope you're feeling better soon.

o

Me too! Me too!
3 or 4 items is going to be a great challenge for me!

o

How come no one ever gets someone from their own state? (IS this a trick question or am I just having a blond moment?? Anything's possible.) LOL

o

Phyllis, as folks often wish to send regional items in their packages that would not be as much fun if shipping to the same state. Also Ann is a wonder woman but I doubt even she would know when 2 addresses were next door to each other but in different cities.

I am very tempted to sign up for this one but I am not sure it would be fiar to my partner. My life does not aford me the luxury of posting often. When I do post as I am often in danger of being called away by a boy waking up I tend to be a little to short. It would be hard for anyone to know what to send.

-Robin

o

Just sent Ann my information. I am so excited about this. I love canning so someone may get a jar of Annie's salsa:)
I also enjoy crafting,sewing,gardening and antiqueing. This will be a fun and exciting to this virgin swapper.

Stacie

o

I'm with you, Robinkate, a little hesitant because I'm normally doing some funky diet that makes it very difficult for my partner. But if you've seen my diet lately...LOL

Hmmmmm....dying to play....Right now I'm in limbo...

o

Oh Robin don't worry about the fact that you haven't been posting much lately. We always have new members participating who haven't posted much either. After everyone receives their partner's name there will be a thread where everyone can post a little personal information. Lori don't worry about diets either. Not everyone sends food items. In fact I very seldom send food.

Phyllis, when we first started the swaps most people tried to send items that were unique to the area that they lived in. So I always try to make sure that no one receives from someone in the same state.

Ann

o

Ann, I will send anywhere and Thanks for all you do!

o

RobinKate, there are those of us who know enough about you (or know where to go to get the information) that you don't have to worry bwahahahahah.........

And AnnT could use Mapquest to figure out distances between addys!

o

Oops, thought I had already posted.

Please add me to the list.

Lee

o

I had so much fun with the last swap, I just can't pass on this one...count me in!!

Corona~Barb

o

I was hoping to be able to participate in this swap, but I just can't - the next one though!!! Have fun everyone!

o

Come on lori! I know you can doooooo it!!

o

Shaun....you really dislike diamonds and perfume right???

Ann works wonders with these swaps!!
Comming from a rather large state I would not be opposed to swapping with someone from the western portion as I am just about a mile from the eastern edge....much the way anyone from northern Ca would not mind a swap with the south.

For you VIRGINS out there....fret not my friends...once you get your swappers name, you'll know what to do!!
Plus there is a LOT of info still on this exchange page from our last swap!!

Happy swapping!!

Susie

o

So...when do we find out, huh? Huh? I'm getting anxious. : ) Oh wait, the deadline is tomorrow, isn't it. Nuts.

o

Susie, I don't think it will ever be necessary for someone to have to send to someone in their own state.

Phyllis, you won't find out for a few days after the deadline. Each swap takes a little longer to match up partners so that no on ends up sending to someone that they have already sent to. The deadline is Wednesday. I'll start working Thursday on getting everyone matched up with their partner and hope to have all the emails out before Sunday.

Ann

o

I'm having a "me" moment here. I really need to do something for myself and this is it.

Ann, Please add me to the list.

Phyllis, you'll do fine. Have fun.

Tracey

o

I really wasn't planning on doing this one, because my life is so hectic right now, but since it is mini, I guess I will go for it. Ok. I am in.

o

ACK! I almost missed this! Ann, please count me in too!

o

Sherry, glad you have decided to go for it.

Lori and Robin, just wondered if you have decided to participate or not? I want to add you to the list.

Just a reminder - if you are new to the forums and especially if this is your first Swap, make sure that you activitely post over the next few weeks so that your partner will be able to find some current information on you. Most of us like to search the various threads for hints of things that you might like rather than look at a list of likes and dislikes. Also, if you are looking for information on your partner and can't find what you are looking for, then get sneaky and start a thread on the cooking forum that hopefully your partner will post to. Example - Want to know if your partner likes spicy foods? Start a thread asking about favourite Curry or Mexican foods. Or maybe you are thinking of including something BBQ or Grill related. Start a related thread.

Ann

o

LOL, Karen!

Okay...I Sooooo want to do this! I'm in - can't resist. Scr#w the diets (don't tell my kitchen forum get-fit buddies! LOL ;)

Ann, I'll forward my info to you again.

To all the Newbies, don't worry. This is fun, fun, fun. You're gonna love it. Wait 'til you see how exciting it is to scope out your partner and surprise them. Can't wait to find out whose name I have....

o

Okay I am in. Like Tracy I want something just for me.

I am so happy to have a group of people I call friends that can understand that something for me may be related to cooking and that my favorite gift my husband has given me in 15 years of marriage was a pressure canner. Especially as he researches it on the Harvest forum without my finding out.

I will work hard to post more. Personally I believe that taking part in a swap is a commitment. You should post enough for your partner and you should also participate on the threads where people receive their goodies. Posting is fun but it can be hard to make the time.

-Robin

o

Count me in too. Now remmember everyone this is a mini swap so please keep to the guidlines. Nothing worse than sending 3 or 4 things and getting 15 !!!

Now of course they can be 3 or 4 really nice things....like a new Wolf oven, a Japanese carving knife and a cooking vacation in Tuscany....but please just 3 or 4.

o

Ann, I forgot to say I would ship anywhere.

Tracey

o

Ann, I will also ship anywhere.

-Robin

p.s. I am getting so tired of waiting for the dumb ads to load before I can type. Plus it is slowing down my computers response to typing as they are moving ads. This is even without the pop-ups as I block them

o

I want chase to be my swap buddy!

o

Well, personally, I do NOT find it fun doing the research to find out what my swap buddy likes. It takes waaaaaaay too much time, which right now is a commodity I am short on. I would RATHER see a list of likes and don't likes. So, therefore, for those of you who feel like I do, take advantage of "Miss Snoop," jessyf. She can get you the help or information you want!
Sherry

o

Dang. Sure wasn't much time to get on this bandwagon. I guess I'll have to watch from the sidelines this time.
Image hosting by Photobucket

o

Sorry you missed it this time Marcia. The thread was up from Friday evening until Wednesday evening, with a couple of reminders on the Cooking forum discussion side.

Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here