SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

WANTED: Fishing for Information

ann_t
18 years ago

About half of you will have already received the name of your swap partner. I have about half the emails sent out and the rest will go out this afternoon. Shortly. LOL!.

The best way to find out about your partner is to do a search. Don't limit yourself to looking at posts only on the Cooking Forum. Many of our members have come to us from other forums so you might get a lot of ideas from reading posts to other forums. Another way to get information is to go on a fishing expedition. Start a thread like the one Terri or Gina started on the Discussion side and hope that your partner posts to it.

You can also post a little information about yourself here. A few things that you might like your partner to know. Such as the number of family members, pets, whether you have allergies or food restrictions based on religion or health. Please don't post a shopping list for your partner. The feedback I've received from most participants is that although they don't want to send things that their partners won't like, they also want to feel free to be creative in putting together something special and not just shop off a list.

I'll start.

There are just two of us now. Our son Matt has his own apartment and lives about an hour from us in Victoria. We have three cats and a dog (Stetson). I would like my partner to feel free to send me anything especially if they choose something off of the list that Sharon (Chase) posted on the other Swap thread. I particularly like the idea of the Wolf Range. LOL!

Ann

Comments (77)

• ziporion
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread Ann, it takes some of the stress away for us virgin swappers.

Well, I live with my DH and 2 children in Yukon, Canada. My daughter is 14, and my son is 12. We've lived here for the last 12 years and we love it. I just finished a distance learning degree and am job hunting for a job in my field; otherwise I'm working contracts as they come up.

First off, I am really, really easy to please.

I love unique, artsy things.

I love loose black tea and drink coffee on occasion. I love to have a square or two of chocolate with my coffee (though some of my teeth have started protesting of late!).

We don't have any food allergies here, and like just about everything.

I'd love to get a newspaper or local information from my swap partner.

Gadgets are always welcome. I love to listen to jazz or blues while I'm cooking.

I love to read.

I can't think of anything else, but hopefully have provided enough information... again, I am really easy to please!

This is my first swap, and I'm really kind of anxious about it, and also really excited!

Catherine

• deanna1949
    18 years ago

Well, I think I wrote about myself in the Re-introduce Yourself thread, and I hate talking about myself. My name and age are obvious from my user name. I'm relearning to love cooking since we moved into our new home this past summer. I finally have enough storage room for all my beloved dishes. I'm especially a sucker for pitchers, teapots, bowls, and china of all kinds.

I currently teach elementary music part-time and give private voice and piano lessons. I also do proofreading for a court reporter.

I used to love gardening; still do, but can't do much since the back surgery. I hope to do a lot of container gardening this summer on our deck. And I'm trying to grow some herbs indoors this winter. They're up and growing, but I don't know how long that will last.

I love to eat just about anything, but I also have to be careful because I gain weight just looking at food.

I enjoy reading and all kinds of sewing. In my lifetime, I've tried just about every kind of craft, and I become obsessed with new things easily. When I take on a new project, I really immerse myself in it.

I'm looking forward to this swap because I love surprises. My family thinks I'm hard to buy for, but I think they worry too much. I'm pretty easy to please actually.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Fish pepper and hot cherry pepper (pimento)

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello I have grand duke rooted small plant, fish pepper seeds, I also have other peppers like pulla,Arbol,melrose,poblano,orange and red habanero,orange manzano,purple macroni, carlifornia wonder, purple bell pepper,sweet mint,squash,beans,bloomdale spinach,lettuce,different kinds of flower seeds,I am only interested in curry leaf seeds Thank you
    ...See More

Fish, Fish, Fish

Q

Comments (33)
    I really like them. Hopefully in the future I will be able to put in a bigger pond and I can try again with the Golden Orfes and do it right by getting about 5 or 6. For now I am going to pass on them as I see the advice the guy in the pond store told me that one was good, was wrong. Meantime I rewarded myself by going back to the pond store and buying two new fish. I got a stunner of a butterfly koi in a strange metalic almost mustard old gold color. I know that might not sound attractive but the fish is lovely. Also a most beautiful deep almost red "goldfish" with the most long, long, long tail and fins.
    ...See More

I want to start my first saltwater fish tank. Help please!

Q

Comments (11)
    reefcentral.com is a great suggestion. Since you want to start with fish only I would go with a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock). For a FOWLR you don't need a ton of live rock like a reef or live corals, so it is less expensive. Live rock has a good amount of benificial bacterias on it already and will host alot more as it "matures". The thing with any aquarium is to have as much surface area as possible for these detoxiying bacterias to grow. A 1" sandbed is fine to start, use a quality aragonite sand. The sand and the live rock have a good amount of surface area. Most aquarium lights that are sold with the tank aren't good for a reef but will be fine for a FOWLR. However you may have to add an extra fixture, it depends on the wattage of you current setup. A good idea for a larger tank is a sump type filter, they are not that expensive to make but if you buy a commercial one it can be very expensive. It all depends on budget, but 2 hang on power filters would be ok. Just get enough to turn the water over 7-10 times per hour, meaning you have a 60G tank so the combined GPH of the filters should be 420-600 GPH (gallon per hour). If a "quality" protien skimmer is in your budget it is a great addition. Not a necessity now but would be a good future investment. A 250-300W heater, or 2 smaller ones is needed. So if you are going to eventually go with a Reef I would get a few quality pieces of live rock along with some base rock (or dead rock) to keep that cost down. At least 3 watts per gallon of fluorescent light(preferably 67000-10000K). The filters and heater. Go to reefcentral.com and there is a pretty good book published by TFK at petstores, can't remember the title but it has a cardinal fish on the cover, good basic info and more. Also drsfostersmith.com has good deals on sand,filters and heaters. AHSupply.com has good lighting kits for cheap to start.
    ...See More

Fish for new tank - adding fish - Beta and other fish

Q

Comments (2)
    I have had bad luck with mollies being fin nippers. Neon tetras and cories will survive better in a seasoned tank. The betta and guppies would be the easiest for a new tank. I wonder why bettas and guppies would be bad together? Maybe the betta would see the fantails as one of their own and try to fight with the guppies.
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    18 years ago

Partner.... I'll love anything, so don't worry.

I live in Northern Lower Michigan on a lake with my SO, Kim, of 8 yrs. We have a 2.5 yr old chocolate lab mix named Roxie. We are very casual and love it when friends get together and we just make stuff! We love our Friday night appetizer dinners...Clink, Clink! I've been working part time in the deli at the grocery store, it sure is different than owning your own...but I keep quiet about it. I have a hard time just opening a boxed salad and sticking it in the case but I do understand why they have to do it that way. For those who don't know, we owned a deli for 5 yrs and made everything from scratch. We closed it mostly because I was tired of working so many hours in the summer (busy tourist time). After all, we moved here to enjoy summer ourselves. So this working PT gets me out and seeing people, which I like.

I love handmade artsy things.
    Coffee junkie...black and bold.
    I love my sweets, darnit, I wish I loved bitter and sour but just can't do it.
    I'm into a dark taupe/ soft celedon phase in the kitchen and dining area.
    I love regional cookbooks and foods...someday I hope to try Tasty Cakes! LOL

Have fun and don't worry, I just enjoy the swaps!

Nancy

• granjan
    18 years ago

I'm Granjan to my 3 MN grandchildren and my 2 local nieces whose grandmothers live far away, IA and Germany. I've owned a small breakfast and lunch cafe for 26 years! Luckily I no longer have to work regular shifts so I call myself semi-retired.

My partner of 30 years, we finally got married 5 years ago, love to eat and travel. (And consequently are often dieting in preparation for a trip or after one!) We eat everything and love finding new regional foods, domestic or international! I TRY to cook low fat and sensibly for the 2 of us. Which I hate because I'm an avid cookbook collector (started a cookbook book group) and want to make all the recipes I read! Baking is my passion but never do it for the 2 of us. But I always volunteer to bring dessert! (And love to have guests for dinner so I can go all out.)

Besides cookbooks I collect cookie cutters, decorative tins, and blue and yellow dishware and linens, especially plates. (Also old dessert plates, especially hand-painted or Haviland.)

My new kitchen is blue and yellow, like my old one (because of the dish collection!) but I added a couple walls in a bright leaf green, think chartreuse, for interest.

Besides food and travel I'm an avid bookworm, have volunteered for 10 years at a public school library, and am an huge SF Giants fan. Am also trying to figure out digital photography. (I can take the pictures just fine, it's posting them that frustrates me.) I garden a little bit in my very shady small yard. And I LOVE this site and swaps!

• Tikanas2
    18 years ago

I'm Tikanas. I live in sunny So. Cal. up against the mountains. I have a grown DD and a 17 yr old DS who like to cook when the mood strikes Lol! One cat, Oreo who is truly the owner of our home... I'm a critical care RN, also do visiting nursing and I own/operate a CPR instruction company.

I love to garden but am in between gardens as we are living in a temp house for the next year. I am planning the kitchen in my new house (plans change daily!)

I love learning new things esp. re cooking. This year I hope to get a handle on breadmaking and try new ethnic dishes. I love reading cookbooks about those kind of things.

I am another lover of strong, black coffee, prefer savory over sweet and love sour stuff. I LOVE homemade goodies of any sort.

I am a VERY easy swap buddy as I LOVE EVERYTHING I have ever gotten in a swap! Just have fun!

Tikanas

• Karigraphy
    18 years ago

Hello, swappers!

I've really enjoyed the two previous swaps so I think this one will be a lot of fun, too.

My DH and I have twin daughters who are 6 years old who eat just about everything we do. I cook dinner at home most evenings and enjoy everything from Italian, Mexican, Thai, Greek, and Asian foods. We have a bookshelf full of cookbooks. I've just scratched the surface of the recipes I'd like to try although I lean toward relatively simple recipes.

I've been pretty serious about eating healthy for medical reasons - fruits, veggies, lean protein, and whole grains. I like to experiment with salsas, sauces (low-fat), and seasonings. I have no complaints about hot and spicy ingredients. Green tea is a new interest, too. I'm really not supposed to eat any sugar at all but I make an exception for dark chocolate. Otherwise, I try to eat sweets made with low-cal sweetners.

No food allergies but I am sensitive to scents from candles and poppouri.

Our kitchen is decorated in French Country blue, yellow, and reds. I'm clutter challenged so I try to avoid knick-knacks other than seasonal decorations. However, I do love anything handmade (edible or not).

Beyond cooking, I am also interested in calligraphy, gardening, movies/theater, and exercise. I volunteer part-time for a non-profit musical theater company where my girls are taking "Broadway Jr." classes.

I'm sure I would enjoy any cooking, food, or regional items!

Karen

• blueiris24
    18 years ago

My name is Erin. I don't like giving out a lot of personal information on the internet because I've had problems in the past, so that's why I generally pass on these types of posts. We're a family of four, with two boys in elementary school. I don't eat red meat, but other than that pretty much anything goes. My kitchen doesn't really have a style other than always-too-cluttered --it's pretty eclectic. I like unusual things, I'm not very traditional. My favorite color is purple. I am a stay at home Mom -- I used to work in publishing. Aside from cooking, I love to read, I love to volunteer with organizations serving seniors and kids. I volunteer in my boys' classes regularly, and volunteer to do more than I have time for at their school. I took a beginning quilting class a few years ago and I am trying to get back into that again. I love to learn new things.

• lindainct
    18 years ago

I'm glad to be able to participate in the swap this time a round, I've had such a good time in the past and had great swap partners.

It is just DH and me at home now, 3 grown kids and 9 grands. The young ones all want to cook with grandma when they come over, which I love. No more furry friends for the time being.
    I love to cook and can, I hang out on the Harvest Forum, too.
    My kitchen/family room is white and cobalt blue.
    I'm not allergic to anything edible but I don't like foods that are too hot.
    I love gadgets, serving pieces and interesting cookbooks.
    My partner shouldn't stress, I'm sure if you like it I will too.

Linda

• ann_t
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Still waiting for the following participants to post to this thread.

Susan in Nc
    Maggie
    Coronbarb
    Sidnee
    May
    Terri
    Cathy
    Sharon
    Lee
    Alison
    Peppi
    Gardengirl
    Katie
    Debbie 814
    Lori316
    David
    Eileen

• gardengrl
    18 years ago

Hi swap buddy!

My name is Kathy and I live in the hurrican...er...I mean the sunshine state, Florida. I'm 35, live with my wonderful BF, no kids, no pets (pretty boring) in our little starter home. I will cook just about anything, but especially love baking and canning. I just starting canning last year and think I need to join a 12 step group now. I also love to garden and read; Ray Bradbury is my favorite author. I'm not allergic to anything, and love spicy food and good wine. I don't like clowns, people who talk on their cell phone while driving, okra, brussel sprouts, and bermuda grass.

I have a goofy sense of humor, so don't be afraid to be a little creative. My house is sort of an earthy theme: neutral colors, pottery & such, including my kitchen. I love kitchen gadgets, but don't have the room for any more. Every year we put on a huge Halloween display at our house for the trick or treaters; we have a blast doing this. I also collect Department 56 Christmas & Halloween houses and accessories.

Can't wait to meet you!

• lori316
    18 years ago

Yikes! I swear I posted to this thread, but now I'm realizing it was the re-introduce yourself thread. Sorry!

Okay, let's see. I'm easy too.

Married to Bob for almost 16 years, 5 kids (told ya I'm easy). Actually, two are step-sons. Ours are 13, 10, and 4. Only the youngest is a girl.

I live in Rhode Island and I've never lived more than about 20 miles from my current house, which is in the same town I grew up in.

A great weekend for me is watching the kids at their sports/gymnastics events. I coach my two youngest kids (13 yr old doesn't want mom on the baseball field anymore :(

We stay very active. DH is a marathon runner(ranked #3 in the country at one point), and all the kids play sports. I work out at least 5 days a week, lifting weights and the dreaded cardio. We try to eat healthy and generally do, but when we fall off the wagon, we hit hard. Trust me, I enjoy my weekends and my junk food, look forward to it, in fact. It's why I workout so hard during the week.

I love chocolate, peanut butter, anything sweet. I love to bake, especially with my daughter under my feet, getting in the way. I bake daily and never get sick of it. I especially love the presentation of baked treats.

My cooking skills, on the other hand, are quite lacking! We usually try to keep the meals simple (much like this chef). I would love to be more creative and complex, though. My motto is that if the cookbook doesn't have a picture, I'll never be able to figure out how to make it, but I'm getting much more creative/daring lately.

We love Italian, mexican, and spicy foods in general. I have seafoodphobia, which is odd, because I live so close to the ocean.

My friends think it's funny that I'll make elaborate desserts that take hours to concoct, and then have chicken 3 nights straight. I gotta expand my horizons, not just my hips. LOL

We have a new kitchen, kinda tuscany, with deep maroon/mustard colors.

My partner should also please not stress. This is fun!

• lakeguy35
    18 years ago

David here, single, live in a cabin on the lake in NEOK. I commute to the city for work daily, it take about an hour depending on traffic. My weekday cooking is fairly simple as time is always a challenge. I love to bake bread, cookies, pies, just about anything. My major cooking events come into play with family events, holidays, and parties. I come from a large family (9 kids) and have a huge circle of friends so more than not I have company on the weekends...more so during the lake season. Parties or gatherings all revolve around food from something simple like burgers on the grill or a fancy 5 or more course dinner. Another favorite with my group is just doing different appitizers for dinner, that and a few drinks!

My cabin is what I call rustic, knotty pine walls and ceilings, hardwood floors and huge fieldstone fireplace. The kitchen is the same, all knotty pine with ugly counter tops that need to be replaced along with appliances. Colors would be hunter green and burgundy for now.

I"m not picky, surprise me!! Love trying out new things! Just have fun and don't worry about it, I've loved all the stuff I've received in prevous swaps and surprise packages.

I think I've hit all the post over on discussions but will check again in the next day or so. I sure hope this helps a little, didn't want to do a list of things I want or think I need. The surpise factor is the fun part for me.

Happy Shopping everyone!!

David

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Hi! 4 boys and me here - DH, 2 year old DS, and 2 cats. My DS is in the "no" stage at the moment but is also completely hilarious and has me cracking up all day.

I am on a bread baking kick at the moment (thanks everyone) and come spring and summer you will find me outside gardening, at the beach, or upstate. Truthfully, I am still adjusting to being a SAHM and am always looking for something new (and inexpensive!) to entertain myself. I was thinking maybe knitting will be next. I am a news junkie and am very interested in history and politics. I couldn't live without music and love all types - Green Day, Norah Jones, and Ben E. King are on my current rotation!

I love learning about new areas and when I travel I always try to go to a market in that area to see what it is like - so anything regional I would enjoy. I love vintage or vintage inspired things.

I try to make my home warm and inviting and enjoy making things look "pretty" and "homey" - I just feel better when I do!

Really anything at all would make me happy - no worries!
    -MAGGIE

• KatieC
    18 years ago

I thought I'd posted here too. I just can't keep up.

DH and I live in the boontoolies of north Idaho with a mutt named Lucky and one spoiled Siamese mix cat. Our daughter is a junior at a university 2 1/2 hours away and comes home way more often than I thought she would.

I'm not picky, either.. No food allergies or major dislikes (well, liver and overcooked broccoli, but I guess I don't need to worry about getting either). We like food and everything related to it, lol. It's a hoot getting things from all over the country...swaps are always fun.

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

Sorry for holding the process up!

Married to high school sweetie; have a beautiful grown DD and hunky SIL who had the love of my life 14 months ago (DGS). Have two lovely cats, Buster and Noel.

I am a PITB to buy for but amazingly, Cooking Forum swap partners have always have nailed it!

As Jessica puts it--I am the Gadget Queen, but there is always something new and intreguing.

I don't do cute, precious, or coffee and I am anally organized.

I like dark chocolate, hot as in spicy, regional stuff, homemade, Krispy Kreme.

Kitchen theme is Italian country with red and tan color scheme.

Thanks,
    Cathy

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

BlueIris (Erin) - would you mind sharing what happened? I feel a little nervous now about posting info - Thanks.

• debbie814
    18 years ago

Howdy Partner.

I love these swaps, and I'll love anything you send me. I keep my swap items on display for a couple of weeks!
    I live in central New York and have a cottage in the Adirondacks. I share my life with my husband who is my best and our 3 sons ages 26, 19 and 16. Our newest addition is our boxer puppy Kiki who is almost 7 months old.

Don't stress, I just enjoy the swaps!

• chase_gw
    18 years ago

I love a suprise! Just me and DH most of the time. No allergies and my major dislikes are not apt to show up in a swap !!!

To my swap partner, just enjoy putting together someting you love and makes you smile, guaranteed I will love it too.

• Terri_PacNW
    18 years ago

Sorry, Boss~wink~...Didn't know there was such a place...

Okay~
    SUPER BUSY SAHM~hardly ever home~
    I have 3 boys who are nearly 14, 9 and 6.
    We have one girly dog named Jillian.
    We just remodeled our bathroom and kitchen.
    You can see my kitchen in a link on My Page.
    I make soy candles, so I don't really burn store bought candles, but I love jars, and glassware I can pour my own into!
    My bathroom is a "simple garden theme". My kitchen is full of SS appliances and my husband picked the color Mexican Chile to paint it. It's very warm and spicy!

I garden, craft and sew.

Love Dark Chocolate, raspberry and lemon things.

• lowspark
    18 years ago

Sorry it's taken me so long to do this!

I'm married and have two great kids, ages 15 & 18 (getting ready to graduate from high school!).

My recently remodeled kitchen has a grape/wine theme with dark purple granite counters. I have a ton o' grape stuff, but still find myself looking at grapes everywhere (just can't resist!) although I try to be discriminating since I already have so much. (pix of my kitchen linked on My Page.)

My dining room is purples & reds with lots of iris pictures.

I don't have any food allergies. I love dark chocolate, like milk chocolate and dislike white chocolate.

I drink wine, beer & mixed drinks. I'm currently into cosmopolitans! Don't drink coffee. Do drink iced tea but not hot.

I like spicy foods.

OK, that's all I can think of. But don't think of the above comments as limitations because I'm gonna love whatever you send!

I've loved all the swaps I've participated in -- both the shopping/giving, and what I've received. I'm sure I'll love whatever my swap partner sends me so whoever you are, please relax and enjoy it!

• sidnee
    18 years ago

I thought I did this a few days ago. Hmm

Ken and I like just about anything, except olives, sardines and sauerkraut. We like hot/spicy, rubs for grilling, chocolate, sweets, ice cream toppings, TexMex, Italian, love olive oils, crusty breads (I know that is not practical), cabernet. My kitchen colots are a tuscan terra cotta, with pecan cabinets, slate countertop. We love coffee, not flavored though.

I know I will love whatever you send, I love doing the shopping too.

Julie

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

I live on an acre with lots of trees (6 citrus) with 3 adult children. My kitchen needs remodeling so no real color scheme yet, but I do have some red KA appliances (maybe a trend?) and a water pitcher with red, blue, yellow, green. Looks like I'm heading toward COLORFUL for the kitchen. The attached family room has blue decor, very country style with '50's Wedgewood stove and Vermont Casting woodstove.

I am not allergic to anything, love hot/spicy and fish, almost any cuisine (not sushi type, haven't tried Greek yet) especially Mexican. I don't drink alcohol. I do a lot of dessert baking and some bread baking. I have a new smoker grill and have been experimenting with that, along with some new kitchen gadgets (Nesco roasters, rotisserie, GF grill)

I love chocolate, coffee and tea (decaf only), and herbs. I love to garden, especially peppers and tomatoes (I went to 3 tomato tastings last year). I love cookbooks of all kinds and collect teapots and Raggedy Ann dolls. I have 5 English Springer Spaniels and am a secty/treasurer for an AKC dog club. I also do outdoor cooking in cast iron dutch ovens with other likeminded enthusiasts here in So Calif.

Barb

• blueiris24
    18 years ago

Maggie, I'm sure it's fine -- I sent you an email, Erin

• centralcacyclist
    18 years ago

I am a mom to a 13 year old girl, a fifteen year old boy, one large dog, 2 guinea pigs, one bunny, and a snake. We live in Northern California in a farming community. No fussy eaters here, we'll try almost anything, except really hot things. I love exploring new and ethnic flavors. No food allergies. I am mildly allergic to sulfites so dried fruit is sometimes a problem.

Appliances are stainless and black. Other colors are white/red/sage green.

• susan_in_nc
    18 years ago

Sorry to take so long to post! We spent last weekend being chaperones and this week working and trying to recover. Bye the way, the trip was great. The team did better this year than last, but by random pick went up against two of the top 4 teams (and even won against one, and was just a few points under the other). We had one wild card child that I stopped just before he jumped from the window to the roof just short of a floor below. He had goofed and locked the door of one room (not even his own) and the guys in that room had left the bar blocking the door, because they had come out of the room to see what roof jumper was up to! The HS teacher/sponsor told him, no more. If ANYTHING came up at all he would be sent home.

As to other info Well, I have been married for over 25 years. We did a tour of N CA this summer. Hit Napa, saw the redwoods, and let DS learn to surf. We also did a swing by Pacific Grove, to see the house I had lived in there, Moro Bay to see the house I lived in there and to Fort Point Coast Guard base (now Farallones Marine Sanctuary Association ), of course to see the house I lived in! Got pictures of most of them, but not Pacific Grove. The open front yard, overlooking the golf course (public) now has a 6 foot fence and overgrown look. Only the CG house looked anything like it did in the 60s!

We live in Raleigh, where DH grew up. I have in-laws near, but we do a lot more for them than they do for us. I went back to college at a non-traditional age and graduated in 03. I am a teacher, but have not found a full time job (I dont coach and have lost jobs to younger teachers, who are willing to coach. Ive debated, and just cannot take the responsibility for possible injury to a young athlete. I know how much it can mean to them and what they can loose by a chance accident I KNOW they deserve someone who knows what they are doing, and not learning on the job). I have started this week filling in for a maternity leave, and 1 or 2 teachers are planning to retire at the end of the years, so possibly (keep me in your thoughts and prayers). By the way, Im HS and MS Social Studies.

My DS is still in HS, 10th grade. He lettered in Pole Vault last year and is on the indoor track team right now. He is a good kid, smart, an individual. We both enjoy spicy food. He had so much fun with tricking me into eating a jalapeño jelly belly this Christmas! During the CA trip, he announced he wanted to go to Stanford, so we took a swing through the campus its wonderful, I would miss him a great deal if he did get in, but would adjust for his opportunity. DD is 21, recently engaged. She does not live with us, but is visiting more frequently. I think she is trying to reconnect, so Darling Dad will spend more for a wedding! (He offered tickets to Vegas).

We have slowly remodeled a 70s split level home, just recently finishing the kitchen (not really anyone want to come help pin stripe the walls?) It has beige tile on the floor and back splash, light oak cabinets, lots of light and counter space. We moved the fridge, took out the wall between the small dining room and kitchen, put in an open breakfast bar, and another bank of cabinets. The dining area has an oak table (DH purchased without me even seeing his sister was shocked he dared to do it) that expands to seat 14 now I just need to get more chairs! The lower part of the wall is navy blue and the curtains are deep green. I want to pin stripe the upper walls with navy and green. It all looks great, even with a fine coating of Black Lab shedding on the floor!

Jack is responsible for al that shedding. We can sweep, and sweep and he will walk through, and presto, hair on everything! He is really sweet, and loves to cuddle. If I wrap up in a blanket to watch TV, I have to leave a corner hanging for him to crawl under.

DH is getting ready for Gastric Bypass. He has started to have serious health problems, and no matter what diet changes or restrictions we make he was just getting worse. He has another 10 pounds to loose (Boy, has this been hard on me, he is cranky but we dont want to discourage him so have to try to jolly him along.) Hopefully, the surgery will be in March.

For years, we have loved roller coasters. Now, DS rides them with me, DH cant fit. That is one thing I am looking forward to doing! Riding some monster coasters with DH again. We have a boat, and DS water skis and loves to jump the ski ramp. He doesnt land too well yet. I love jokes, and comedy. I am an avid reader; have about 2 or 3 books Im reading at any given time. Have an extensive collection of cookbooks (but they are still in the attic from the kitchen remodel and DHs diet) I want a bookshelf in the living room for my cookbooks. I cant read a book twice, even if Ive read it years ago, after the first few pages, I remember it all no fun!

Well, from no post to a horrendously long post! But, now you know too much about me!

Susan

• lsr2002
    18 years ago

Max and I and our dog, Brockley make up our household. We live a casual suburban lifestyle. Our son, DDIL and two grands live an hour away. Mostly we cook at home, grill all year and eat outside in warm weather.

We're pretty broad in what we eat, like all kinds of spicy foods, just not KILLER hot, like sushi and steak tartare, like all sorts of ethnic foods, love unusual condements and sauces. We try to balance healthy eating with treats. Love dark chocolate, lemon, and ginger.

Both us drink coffee in the morning, and occasionally after dinner, but usually switch in the afternoon and evening to tea, black or green, flavored or not, just nothing with chicory. We have no food allergies, no other prohibitions. We drink both red and white wines.

We have an eclectic house, just redid our informal eating area, where we have most of our meals, with an antique red Chinese cabinet and contemporary brown/black sideboards and table. I'm so excited about that, I'll try to post a picture. I received a lovely black square serving piece in the last swap that is perfect here. The rest of the house is a mix of contemporary, traditional and antique. Nothing is country or cutesy. When we were first married, DH who is an architect, wanted only contemporary but over the years he has mellowed and now likes a variety too. I like to mix serving pieces that are ethnic looking with simple china.

This is my fifth swap and I've loved them all. It's a wonderful way to get to know each other. My passion, after cooking is travel and I love everything I've learned about life in other places from this forum.

Lee

• pkramer60
    18 years ago

Finally I am posting, I am so sorry swap buddy!

We are three adults in the house, Mom, Dad and myself, plus one cat and several koi and goldfish in the pond.

We love to eat and have no allergies, but Mom is a diabetic and now on dialysis, so no salt and very low potasuim. Definatley a cooking challange but we are winning! Other than that we eat anything. Chocolate anything, coffee, wine and cheese are favorites for me. I will not touch olives, but love EVOO, and brocolli should be outlawed. Brussel sprouts are great, even cold for breakfast. Weird, right?

I am happy and grateful for anything and love new stuff. I have received some beautiful and thoughtful items in other swaps, and loved them all. Swaps open us to new ideas and tastes.

My house is about 150+ years old, I have a large garden full of roses, annuals, veggies and bushes, and I find peace in turning the dirt and planting. The pond also gives great joy and pleasure, listening to the water falland stream, watching the fish cruise by looking for thier dinner. Reading fiction is also a happy past time, when I can find time for it. During the summer months, we eat and cook outdoors. Grilling is a way to be out and multitask in the garden. Pick it and grill it....or I will try to can it.

In the kitchen, I am the gadget freak, but am learning to control myself. Frankly, I am running out of room to store things. how many meat thermamators do I need?(I have 5). I need a meeting. Kitchen decor is based on my china, Johnson Bros.rose chintz, so we have played off the rose and green tones.

I second what Sharon(Chase) said, if it makes you smile, I will smile even bigger.

Happy shopping and swapping,

Peppi

• debbie814
    18 years ago

To help my partner out, I'm posting some additional information about my colors. My kitchen wallpaper is currently Marimeko and has little red berries with little green leaves on a white background, black and white ceramic tile floor, white appliances, red backsplash and counter tops, white cabinets with gold handles, black cafe table and high cafe style chairs. I like to use black, white or pottery accessories.

Our dining room is a very light beige with pussy willow wallpaper on top with a beige color chair rail and beige paint below. Hardwood floor, and mission style table with extensions, chairs, and buffet. I am thinking about introducing some black chargers just for fun. I have several types of dishes, and use different ones for different moods. I enjoy using black chargers under my assortment of plates.

• stacy3
    18 years ago

oh Lee, I just read about the plate - that makes me so happy! I'd love to see a pic.

Also, does nothing "KILLER" mean you don't like that "SUICIDE" wing sauce??? (LOL, I'm a "medium kinda gal, myself...)

Stacy

• lsr2002
    18 years ago

LOL Stacy, I just got back from my biz trip and am catching up. You must have missed the post when I said I have made wings four times recently because we liked the sauces so much (I've probably not made wings at home more than six times in my life before those sauces) and that I loved the flavor of both because they were complex flavors and not just hot and that the Suicidal sauce has a an entirely differant flavor character than the regular one. I really like them both. Max can slather the Suicidal one on; I drizzle it on. We've used both sauces as dipping/drizzle sauces rather than mix the wings in with it. I don't like things that are so hot you can only taste the heat and it is impossible to adjust the quantity. I can put a drop of the Suicidal sauce on my tongue and analjyze the flavors, Max can put a teaspoon in his mouth, but have no clue about what the flavors really are.

I promise I'll post a picture this weekend.

Lee

• stacy3
    18 years ago

Yes, Lee - I"m afraid I missed a whole lot around here - the number of threads recently has intimidated me, so I just shy away...I'll have to get over it.

Have you tried these?

ooooh, they are yummy - I have some hidden in my pots and pans cupboard right now - lol! I know Scott never looks there...

• lsr2002
    18 years ago

I haven't had them Satacy but they look wonderful. We have an amazing supermarket reopening this weekend (watch for my post on that) and I'll look for them.

Lee

• RuddMD
    18 years ago

Oooo yes, Stacy - I buy them at Costco, three sleeves to a pack. . . .

Think I'll have one or ten now. :D

• Terri_PacNW
    18 years ago

Those cookies look right up hubby and my alley...
    I'll check Costco this weekend when I'm over there.

What could be better than lemon filling and gingersnap cookies?

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    18 years ago

LOL, Stacy
    I hide boxes of cookies in my pots and pans, too!

• jessyf
    18 years ago

Someone needs to start a 'where do you hide your chocolate or cookies' thread on conversations or discussions.

• riverrat1
    18 years ago

I don't hide my cookies and treats...I put a sign on them that reads "I Will Hurt You If You Touch These"

It works :~)

• ann_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

TTT. Thought I would bump this back up to the top. Many of the same people are participating on the current swap. Another source of information.

Ann

• debbie814
    17 years ago

Thanks for bumping this Ann. I see that my information has changed since we recently gutted the kitchen. Out with the old, and in with the new!

Our dining room paint is still Sherwin William's Macadamia (beige), mission dining room set.

However, our kitchen is being remodeled and should be done by mid July. The cabinets will be natural cherry, stainless appliances, hardwood floor, walls will be painted BM Coyote Trail (brown family).

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

Our home is just beginning to be gutted and I will eventually get my new dream kitchen and I am very exicted. I have planned my kitchen very carefully so that it will be a pleasure to cook and bake. I used the kitchen from my 1890 home as my inspiration and I think I did pretty well. New kitchen and butler's pantry will have soap stone countertops, chestnut shaker cabs and a blk and off white checkerboard floor. I loved my old house and hope to love my new home half as much. The Butler's Pantry is a pass through to the dining room and I will finally have room for all my china. I love to buy china and have MANY sets, mostly just 4 place setting of each pattern but that is about all we need. When planning a special dinner, I've been known to buy a new set of china for the occassion as I love to set an interesting table!

In our remodel I am also trying to incorporate bits and pieces of architecture from all the homes we've lived in over the years and it has been fun pulling out all our old family pictures looking for background detail.

It is just DH and I but our home is still pretty lively and lived in. We have 3 large 100-lb dogs and 3 cats. The cats are actually working cats as they control the mice in my barns, 2 are mousers and 1 will not even walk on grass she is so picky! Although I do not breed I was showing my dogs every weekend and all have titles except the puppy. New puppy came to us last year and I do hope to work with her in Therapy visiting the hospitals weekly.

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

Thought I'd better catch up and let the newer folks know a bit about me.
    Married, all kids are too, and altogether there are 7 grandkids.

We have no allergies but a few dislikes or aversions:

DH loathes olives, the fruit.

I dont like florals very much and definitely dont heavily many scented things. Love citrus scents thought or those that could be defined as "grass" clean, not overwhelming.

Like handmade or homemade just about anything.
    I dont lean towards things Victorian or very ornate
    Love metal, wood, stone, ceramic, organic looking things
    Neither one of us is fond of the blood-sausage-type things.
    We both like nuts, chocolate (mines dark, his is lighter but he is changing), spices, sweet and savory things. I love lemon,

We eat at home often, I love to set a pretty table, linen napkins everyday

We divide our time between NYC and a small town in CT.
    We are moving in the fall to and down-sizing in NY.

CT: The country home is eclectic leans towards the whimsical or lyrical, my color palette is basically established by all the things that I own. You can check it out on picturetrail.com under bubbeskitchen. It is the Sherman House album.

NY is contemporary and traditional. We are changing our color palette when we move from the neutrals with dusty peach to spicy colors: saffron, ginger, paprika. My new kitchen is right out in the open; the counters are slate, the cabinets and appliances are wood-grain and the sink and stove are stainless. So I guess my new digs will be more contemporary to modern and streamline if I can do it. Here is a link: http://cielocondos.com/home12.html My kitchen layout is like the dining room picture link on the bottom of the "great spaces" page.
    I kind of have a free-wheeling thing going on and an opportunity to try new stuff. I do intend to reduce visible clutter by containerizing a lot.

Thats what comes to mind right now. Hope that it helps.

Bubbe

• lowspark
    17 years ago

One more old thread with swapper preferences. I hope this is ok with everyone that I'm bringing these up to the top. I figure we should try to keep these alive as long as possible for reference purposes on swaps.

• arandygail
    17 years ago

I live outside of a small town in Indiana with my husband and two children. Chase is 14 and Kristen is 12. Chase is very involved in many sports (usually 2 teams per season) so we spend a lot of time driving car pool or watching games.
    We are currently remodeling our house. We bought a 2nd acre of land and moved our house back onto a new full basement. In the process, we are also adding an attached garage and an extra bathroom. We are doing most of the construction work ourselves, so it has been a bit of a slow process. When we finish, though, we will have a nice gameroom/family room for the kids and their friends. The new room will be decorated in a red, white, and blue sports theme. The rest of the house is decorated in burgundy and earth tones.
    I currently teach junior and senior English at the local high school. I love my job and love spending time with the kids.
    In my spare time, I love to bake and read--especially mysteries.
    That's all I can think of right now.
    Gail

• phyllis_philodendron
    17 years ago

LOL I posted to this thread back in January - I re-read it and so much has changed! Who would have thought.

WEll...we are now four...I am nursing a one-month old so I don't do things that are spicy, too garlicy or caffeinated. I don't do the gluten free thing anymore because I'm weak. LOL I do have colitis but so far it hasn't really limited me much except for lactose. So I avoid any dairy that isn't lactose-free. Go ahead, swap partner, send me a carton of Breyer's LActose free ice cream in my swap box! LOL

• lowspark
    17 years ago

valuable swap information

• diana55
    17 years ago

To my Swap buddy....I'm happily married, with two girls,aged 13 and 20. We have a dog named Kiko[Maltipoo] and a cat named Puss Puss. We live in a large townhouse in the suburbs. I love to eat and travel. I love just about anything to do with the kitchen. Candles are a favorite of mine too!!! Send anything. I will love it!!! Diana55

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

I posted in the Finding and Sharing Information Thread but neglected to mention that we have no food restrictions. And we don't do spicy or heavily seasoned foods.

I am jumping in my socks.........because I just got the coolest thing for my swap partner!!!!

Michelle

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

bump

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I hate to keep repeating myself and boring all the CFers out there so I will say that I have given lots of information on the other threads. OK?
    Clare

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

to the top