SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Rest peacefully "Pa Dude"

annie1992
11 years ago

I'm sorry I've been out of communication for the past week, but my father-in-law passed away on Tuesday. Many of you prayed for him after his surgery in August for colon cancer and I think that surgery gave us just a couple more months with him than we'd have had otherwise.

Until last week he was doing relatively well, although a bout with pneumonia and dehydration put him back into the nursing facility several weeks ago. As recently as last Saturday he was still talking, singing and recognized people most of the time, although the home called Hospice in about two weeks ago.

Sunday we got a call from Hospice telling us to come immediately if we wanted to see him. We packed for an unknown period of time and made the 7 hour drive. He recognized Elery on Sunday night, but on Monday was uncommunicative although restless. On Tuesday he was calm and quiet and about 4:45 pm his breathing slowed and he peacefully left this world with all of his family around him except his wife. Elery's stepmother has not been feeling well and passed out at the nursing home on Sunday and had to be taken to the hospital.

There was a funeral in Ohio on Wednesday evening at his church there and his wife, Frances, was able to attend that service. Elery and his siblings had to handle all arrangements, flowers, transportation to Tennessee for burial as she was too ill and frail to do any of it.

Tuesday evening we all started for Tennessee and on Wednesday at noon Elery said a prayer, his brother sang "Amazing Grace" and his sister read a passage of scripture. He was buried next to Elery's Mother on the mountainside.

We left in such a hurry that we had to take Cooper with us, so he's spent the last five days living in the truck. We got a motel room that allowed dogs but he was so afraid to stay alone that we just took him along. Fortunately the weather was such that he could nap in the backseat of the truck and I could come every few hours and let him out, give him a drink of water, play with his toy on the lawn. He was a good boy the whole time.

His pastor in Ohio cried during the service and said that the thing everyone remembered best about "Pa Dude" was that he always thought you were better than you were, and that wonderful things were always around the corner for us all. He believed it and made everyone else believe it and we were all better because of it, trying to live up to what he thought we were. I think the most telling testimony is that Elery's ex-wife and her brother came to the funeral. They've been divorced for at least 30 years and it's a five hour drive, one way. Still, she drove that 10 hours and before starting back told me "you've just lost the best father-in-law in the world". Of course, I already knew that.

James Elery Barnes, may you rest in peace. You were an example for all of us and a blessing in my life and I can only hope that I'm half as good a human being as you always thought I was.

Annie

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations