SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiec_id

Random Act of Kindness

KatieC
10 years ago

Last week I had to go to Town for a morning of meetings. While there I figured I'd gas up at Costco, pick up some supplies for work, maybe do a bit of Christmas shopping.

The meetings weren't fun and the traffic was bumper-to-bumper. When some guy just about hit me forcing his way into my lane I decided it was not a good Costco day (I was all proud of myself...I didn't lean on my horn and I didn't flip him off).

I figured I'd stop at the dollar store for Christmas pencils and candy canes for our Story Time kids and head for the hills. Dollar store was nuts...screaming kids and rude people. The clerk rolled her eyes when I asked her if she was having fun yet.

As I left I decided to stop in at a grocery outlet that shared the parking lot. Fun place to find odd things for work goodie baskets, so I wandered the aisles for a bit. I was in line with a few things and an elderly lady in front of me was having a terrible time with her card. Clerk apologized to me. No problem...I was in no hurry since I'd decided to forgo Costco.

Then a man walks up, sets a $50 bill next to my groceries and says, "Ma'am, apply this to your groceries." I said, "Ohno...I don't need it. Give it to someone else. I don't even have that many groceries." He shook his head. And disappeared.

I looked at the clerk (whose jaw was also dropped) and nodded at the lady in front of me. She mouthed "Too late...her card went."

Still wondering why he picked me, dressed in my Town meeting clothes and good coat, when there were lots of less-fortunate looking people in line at other checkstands.

Paying it forward to our struggling little animal shelter and the women's shelter that has been hit hard as other shelters are closing down, but I'd reeeeeallllly like to know the guy's story. I'd even forgive the "Ma'am", hehe.

Comments (9)