SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Where are you when the lights go out?

Lars
12 years ago

Yesterday we had a brief power outage starting at about 7:30 PM, which is after I had closed all the curtains and drapes. Since it affected the entire neighborhood, there was essentially no light coming in through the windows, and the house was suddenly pitch black. The difference this time was that I was in the middle of the living room on my way to the kitchen and could not remember where I was when it went dark. Fortunately I was not carrying anything, but I had a very hard time finding a wall that I could recognize and was completely disoriented for a few minutes. Kevin was not far from a flashlight, and once he got that, we started lighting candles - not something I would have done if it had been from an earthquake. This was the first time I have had this happen in this house, and I learned that we need more candleholders. We did have a Kwanzaa kinara close at hand, and so we put candles in that and lit them, even though it was a bit early in the season. I put other candles in a few other places and made sure that the fire extinguisher was handy in case we knocked anything over. The outage only lasted about 45 minutes, but it has inspired me to get more prepared. I think it is time for us to replace our old batteries.

Do you get disoriented when the lights suddenly go out?

Lars

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz