Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What will Ebay do?

Posted by beachlily (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 16:29

My husband is a highly rated Ebay seller, so when he wanted to purchase a slightly used or near new Hobart mixer for me for Christmas, he did it over Ebay. The seller described it as 2 years old and near new. When we received it, it was obvious that the mixer had been repainted. I called Hobart and they said it was 7 years old. Hubs asked the seller for a discount and the seller escalated the matter to Ebay.

After 10 days, Ebay decided that the product was not as advertised and told us to send it back to the seller. This thing weighs over 50 lbs! Ebay told hubs that Ebay will refund our substantial payment back to us and they will pursue settlement from the seller. That's the plan. We sent the machine back (w/insurance and signature required) and now the seller is refusing to accept delivery. Obviously UPS will return the mixer to us if it can't be delivered. Does anyone know how Ebay will respond and what they will do? This is getting interesting!

As an aside, on Friday of last week, we found a restaurant supply place locally that sells Hobarts and now there is a brand new cherry red N50 setting in my kitchen. I am so excited!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What will Ebay do?

EBay will prohibit the seller from having an eBay store....so he will come back with another name and scam all over again.
That's my guess....keep us posted on what really happens.
Linda C

o

I'm sure your husband uses Pay Pal if he sells alot on Ebay. I use an American Express card. If I have any problems with any purchases online or off I put the charge in dispute. And Amex deals with it.

Keep us posted. Did your husband say what the seller's ratings were?

Good luck and enjoy the new mixer.

Teresa

o

My prediction - you end up with your money back AND the old mixer. Too good to hope for?

o

Ya'll are funny! OK, hubs paid with a MC from USAA--which is gold in our estimation. I just told him this and he will immediately call USAA. Thanks for that information, Teresa!

Now, if we get our money back and the old mixer we would make about $800, we think. It would pay for about 1/2 the price of the new mixer. The guy should take his back so he could sell it at a lower price and still keep money in his pocket. Guess he hasn't thought of that--too bad. We aren't out for blood here. We think the seller got scammed too when he got it, but we shouldn't have to pay for that.

LindaC, this seller has a 100% rating but he only buys. This is the first (and last, I'd guess) time he has tried to sell something. I told hubs that I had a really bad vibe and he said, the guy answers emails quickly.. I groaned. Then, immediately after the purchase, hubs asked me if I had a bad feeling why hadn't I told him????? We've been married 36 years. I told him this probably 10 times before he bid. I'm not rubbing it in at all. He knows and even admits it.

Thanks everyone! Hubs is the Ebay guy, and me ... just sitting here looking at Cherry and saying that this will all work out. Maybe. I think. Perhaps!

o

Good luck, keep us up todate. We LOVE Usaa!

FWIW I think Hobart stopped making the mixers a lot longer than seven years ago, anyone know how long?

o

No, no, Jessy! They make them under their own name. They quit making Kitchenaids 10-15 yr ago when Whirlpool bought the name.

My mixer is a big lovely thing. Hubs and I are laughing because I bought him 2 different buffers plus a bunch of wax/polishing things for our three cars. He is jumping up and down grinning and I said, how many women do you know that want a mixer for Christmas? Diamonds, diamonds, give me diamonds. Well not in this house. We are a hoot!!

Just got notification that the jerk will pick the old mixer up at USP's location. That's great. He should get it back and get some money out of it! Ebay is going to fry his hide if he doesn't.

I'm going to get a Photoshop or some other picture hosting membership just to show all of the cooking forum people just how wonderful my hubs was to buy me a $2,000 mixer. Now, how stupid is that???

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all comments and you know I'm sometime ugly and sometime just a jumping idiot! This is absolutely a dream come true for me. Hubs says it the first step to redoing our kitchen. Oh man, I've asked for new cabinets and counter and now he's pushing to do it!

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL! I think that eclipse this morning sent me over the moon!

o

Jessy - I was wondering the same thing. Looks like they still make commercial mixers. I believe it's Kitchenaid mixers that Hobart used to make but no longer does.

Here is a link that might be useful: N50

o

Oops too slow! (Weird, I definitely didn't take 9 minutes to type that up, LOL!)

o

Oooops, thanks! I think 'hobart mixer = old Kitchenaid'. I forget they make a whole nuther range of toys.

o

$2,000 Mixer? Wow...I am definitely cooking in the cheap seats!! LOL!

o

Congrats on the mixer! My MIL loaned me a Hobart when she lived on a houseboat....when they moved to dry land she took it back. Can't blame her. It was great.....not a 2K model, but nice and heavy duty. Probably 30 years old if it was a day.

Linda, a good hot dog tastes just as good in the bleachers as it does in the private suite!

Duane

o

Linda, now you understand why hubs was trying to purchase a lightly-used machine. Not quite half the price of a new one.

Not that you want to know, but the reason for splurging on the expensive seats. Hubs had his third type of Agent Orange cancer this year. We agreed last night that we are lucky he is still here. I'm sure his thought is that life is too short to not get exactly what you want. Also, after 36 years, it's about loyalty, love and caring. He even admitted that he had often thought about getting a better buffing/polishing system for the cars (specifically, his Porsche). There's one under the tree now.

Hubs knows he could have bought expensive jewelry. I don't wear it. Period. Don't have a place to go where it would look appropriate. I'm a gardener who loves gardening and cooking and not getting dressed up. Why not get something that is used often and puts a smile on my face every time I use it? Easy question to answer, isn't it? I would have been thrilled with the machine from Ebay if the seller would have flexed a bit on the price. Oh well.

o

Beachlily, I hope you and your husband have many, many more years of love and enjoyment with each other and with your fabulous gifts!

I would love to see a picture of your awesome new mixer.

Enjoy the view from the skybox! :)

AM

o

What a tale. I thought you'd be interested to know the mixer in question has been re-listed with a rather quirky description.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hobart N50 on Ebay

o

Yep, that's the one. It isn't worth what he's asking, trust me. Picky, perhaps, but hubs was very nice in pointing out the issues. I'll be back after I show the ad to my hubs!

o

I know. He's optimistic. We don't think it inks out to pay that kind of price for a used one without a warranty when a new one isn't that much more. (Relatively speaking.)

Been through the Agent Orange thing, been through the cancer thing (though not with hubs). Know where you're coming from. Life is short.

Carol

o

I'm confused - did he up the price this time around? You said around half the price of a new one, that would put it at around $1000 but his current starting bid is $1400 which is a lot more than half. (LOL, not that it matters to me, but this thread got my interest!)

o

Food, he did up the price. We paid $1100. At his buy it now price, an additional $200 will purchase a new one. His machine is 7 years old. We spent 3 to 4 hours cleaning it 'cause we intended to keep it. Guess that increased it's value. If he can't see that its been repainted, he probably needs to get his glasses changed.

The cart that drove this horse--I wanted a new mixer but I wanted to continue to use my pasta attachment from KitchenAid. We looked at various machines, but, of course, only KitchenAid and Hobart can take that attachment. The current mixer had a problem and we needed a part so Hubs could fix it. He was not pleased at all at the lack of service from KitchenAid so that drove him to just get a new Hobart. However, he did get the part and my old machine works like new.

I'm giving my cleaning lady the old 6 qt KitchenAid (same age as the white Hobart on Ebay) and she will give it to her elderly mom or to her elderly neighbor. It should give many more years of service, and we just didn't want to deal with selling it right now anyway. Interesting how these things work out.

o

I thought he must have upped the price. He should give you a commission for cleaning it.

I have gotten some wonderful buys from ebay and I like the fact that used items get a second life, but this is a good example of the "dark side" of auctions.

Carol

o

Beachlily, that sounds almost "gift of the Magi" like. I do hope your hubs is doing better and you know I'm wishing and praying for you to both have a lot of wonderful years together.

I know what you mean about the jewelry, though. i'd rather have fence!

Annie

o

Wasn't it you whose hubby went out to buy extra special chocolate for your cookies? You do have a very, very special hubby!

So, what're you making first with your new toy?

Sally

o

Yes, Sally, he was the one who wanted better chocolate! Funny!

First thing to make with the new beast is cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. I'll also make chocolate mousse for dessert on Christmas. It's going to be fun!!

If anyone has looked at the Ebay listing that is linked above, the original seller really has an attitude! A piece of work.

o

Seller just relisted this baby for $1200 - no return, no refund.

I wonder if anyone will bite.

Carol

o

Too bad there wasn't a way to show prospective buyers on EBAY a link to this thread. Give them a heads up.

Beachlily, What a wonderful gift from a wonderful loving husband. You will get many years of enjoyment from that work horse. Enjoy.

Merry Christmas.

Ann

o

I did read it, and yes, he is a piece of work. I guess one has to be really careful when buying from places like Ebay. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

So, when Hobart made Kitchenaid, were they as expensive as Hobarts are today?

Sally

o

Sally, I know the answer to that one. My kitchenaid is 31 years old and made by Hobart. Moe bought it for me for Christmas, the year we moved to Grand Rapids, MI. It was either $139.00 or $159.00.

It is still going strong.

Ann

o

Sally, the value of the $ has gone down and prices have gone up. My husband is a gem and he just wanted to get me something I had wanted for a long time. He just didn't know I was looking at the KitchenAids like Ann's. Huge $ difference!

To tell another story on the man. I made chocolate mousse yesterday. The guy's a chocoholic! Well, I didn't have enough Frangelico to make the required syrup, so I added water and proceeded carefully. Well, the chocolate didn't seize, but it did get thicker than normal. I mix the chocolate into the egg whites--small lumps of chocolate. Mix this into the whipped cream--still lumps of the stuff. While Hubs was using his finger to clean out the bowl, I admitted my error. He just looked thoughtful, then said, "Think of Mr. Goodyear. He made a mistake in one of the batches of tires he produced. He looked around, and no one was looking, so he proclaimed he had made the first vulcanized tire. Intentionally. And he had." Of course, this was the first thought that had crossed my mind. I'm not sure the story is quite right, but Hubs went on to say that I could always have little bits of chocolate in the mousse, and he would be very happy.

Ann, I think my hubs likes my cooking as well as Moe like yours!

o
RE: RE: What will Ebay do?

We just got a notice that Ebay has refunded our money from the Hobart we purchased and returned. Good thing! It pays for a little more than half of the purchase price of the new one!

Happy New Year everyone!!

o

Yeah, that's good news. I was just telling my DH about your Ebay experience, and your mixer. I realized I had asked a question and forgotten about it. Oops. I guess the Kitchenaids were a bit more expensive back then. But isn't it nice for a machine to last so long and work so hard.

Beachlily, I can completely understand your hubby's need for chocolate.

Sally

o

Sally, he's a gem!

Oh, for those who are interested. The Hobart we returned was sold again--for $1,225! We paid $1,100. After reading the writeup, buyers should have paid more attention to the seller's bad attitude. I doubt that this next buyer will return it, but I'm glad we did. I dearly love my big red machine!

o

And there's a "never used" one out there currently at $710. Go figure. Glad you're happy with Big Red! It's great to find deals on used items, but other times there's something nice about brand spanking new, especially when it's something that you expect to last your lifetime and beyond.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here